M.I.A. Middle Finger During Super Bowl Wasn't Planned, Says Madonna's Rep

Mon, February 6, 2012 5:43pm EST by 12 Comments
Loading video...

HollywoodLife.com also spoke to a top entertainment attorney who tells us that the Federal Communications Commission will ‘definitely’ fine NBC for the lewd gesture and the network could try to get M.I.A. to pay it!

M.I.A. has gotten herself into quite a mess. HollywoodLife.com reached out to Madonna‘s rep following M.I.A.’s shocking display at the Super Bowl on Feb. 5 and it sounds like the Material Girl was just as surprised as NBC, the NFL, and families at home were with M.I.A’s behavior.

“It was not rehearsed or planned,” says Madonna’s rep. “No comment from Madonna.”

Additionally, Spokesman Brian McCarthy said M.I.A. did not do anything similar during rehearsals.

It’s being reported that M.I.A. may have to pay whatever fine the FCC [Federal Communications Commission] decides to slap on NBC for the incident and a top entertainment attorney tells HollywoodLife.com that could definitely happen.

“It’s a matter of contract between M.I.A. and NBC,” says entertainment attorney and author of The Future of the Music Business Steve Gordon. “Her contract may be with the NFL or NBC. Either way she had to have signed some sort of piece of paper, some sort of agreement. If it was with NBC, they would have loaded it up with indecency clauses then NBC would have a claim against MIA.”

Steve went on to say that it’s unlikely that the FCC would go after M.I.A. directly. For instance, when Janet Jackson flashed her boob during the 2004 halftime show, the FCC went after CBS and fined them for $550,000. The case went back and forth between the Supreme Court and The United States Court of Appeals for years before it was thrown out this past November.

“Each case is different but NBC may try to persuade her to pay it without going to court,” Steve tells HollywoodLife.com. “Or say you pay half.”

But if M.I.A. has to pay even part of a hefty fine, don’t feel too badly for the singer! M.I.A. is actually engaged to Benjamin Bronfman, the heir to the Seagram Company. Benjamin was the CEO in 1994 and in 2000 the company was sold and the family’s networth was reported to be $2.9 billion.

We’ve reach out to M.I.A.’s rep and have yet to hear back.

Do you think M.I.A. should get slapped with a fine?

— Chloe Melas

More Super Bowl News

1. Ferris Bueller, Vampires, Betty White: My Top Five 2012 Super Bowl Commercials
  2. Sexy Betty White Steals The Spotlight In ‘The Voice’ Super Bowl Commercial
  3. The New York Giants Win Super Bowl XLVI — Congratulations

super bowl bets

Posted at 9:20 PM on April 15, 2012

I’ve been exploring for a little bit for any high-quality articles or blog posts in this sort of house . Exploring in Yahoo I at last stumbled upon this web site. Studying this info So i am glad to exhibit that I’ve an incredibly good uncanny feeling I found out just what I needed. I so much certainly will make certain to don?t overlook this website and give it a look regularly.

Matt Cain

Posted at 3:40 AM on April 3, 2012

Valuable info. Lucky me I discovered your website unintentionally, and I’m surprised why this coincidence didn’t came about earlier! I bookmarked it.

Khabibah

Posted at 5:05 PM on February 17, 2012

This was pcieesrly the answers I?d been searching for. Amazing blog. Incredibly inspirational! Your posts are so helpful and detailed. The links you feature are also very useful too. Thanks a lot :)

Moi

Posted at 2:41 PM on February 15, 2012

Hey, fact checkers!

Benjamin Bronfman’s dad was CEO in 1994, not him. He was in his early teens. Good job!

Carrie

Posted at 7:00 PM on February 10, 2012

When you are an entertainer it is YOUR JOB (as we all have jobs) the maintain some sort of filter with your actions. You are a role model to young children and an the public eye. It is what made you famous so you must act respectful at all times. This trash that the entertainment world now holds high makes me SICK. They all act badly and none of them know how lucky there are, especially when many Americans are homeless. The M.I.A. person has no respect for herself or anyone and is reckless. Hopefully, her fame is short lived.

SABRINA

Posted at 10:18 AM on February 10, 2012

HONESTLY THAT WAS TASTELESS AND TACKY. HAVE THESE PEOPLE NOT LEARNED FROM PAST “WARDROBE MALFUNCTIONS?” THESE ENTERTAINERS THINK THEY ARE ABOVE ALL MORALS AND LAWS. I HOPE SHE HAS TO PAY THAT HEFTY FCC FINE AND WHERE IS HER PUBLIC APOLOGY? IT’S QUITE PATHETIC.

Madonna Fan

Posted at 8:57 PM on February 9, 2012

He’ll yah. The only way a performer is going to think twice about doing something stupid for publicity is if you fine the crap out of them. No performance fee and make them all put a big bond that gets revoked if they get “creative”.

sherry

Posted at 9:13 AM on February 7, 2012

actually she has split with ben bronfman brewer…

Someone

Posted at 1:28 AM on February 7, 2012

Man she just showed da finger and it equals to this?
I mean Madonna doesn’t give I mean look at the other pop artists out there…I can tell you they do some weird stuff in thee videos and kids watch these…

Titi

Posted at 11:38 PM on February 6, 2012

Madonna knew! MIA does the same gesture in the video, do what did the NFL expected, is about time they show more respect for the families with children who watch the Superbowl, enough. Some one Luke Madonna will never show anything clean nor decent.

George

Posted at 9:21 PM on February 6, 2012

MIA was just adding to the choreagraphic luster of talent by adding her own ‘personal touch’ to the artistic persona of the Madonna Presentation during Halftime.

MinNY

Posted at 8:13 PM on February 6, 2012

Or this player, also fined $10,000. If they try to fine her more, she should counter-sue http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/21/nfl-fines-a-j-hawk-10000-for-flashing-middle-finger/