Miley Cyrus Speaks: Why I Got My Tattoo Supporting Same Sex Marriage

Fri, February 3, 2012 1:00pm EDT by 32 Comments
Miley Cyrus Tattoo

Miley talks about her controversial tattoo in the March issue of ‘Glamour.’ We’re so proud of Miley for sticking to her values and being brave enough to share them with the world! Go Miley!

The equal sign permanently inked on Miley Cyrus ring finger stirred up quite the controversy when she first posted a picture of it on Twitter in August 2011. The 19-year-old had to ward off angry fans who called her out on “not being Christian” because she supports gay rights. Now the pop star speaks out in Glamour through an essay she wrote about the tattoo — and we couldn’t be more proud of her!

“Imagine finding someone you love more than anything in the world, who you would risk your life for but couldn’t marry. And you couldn’t have that special day the way your friends do—you know, wear the ring on your finger and have it mean the same thing as everybody else. Just put yourself in that person’s shoes. It makes me feel sick to my stomach,” she says in Glamour.

“When I shared a picture of my tattoo on my Twitter page and said, “All LOVE is equal,” a lot of people mocked me—they said, ‘What happened to you? You used to be a Christian girl!’ And I said, ‘Well, if you were a true Christian, you would have your facts straight. Christianity is about love.’ The debate resulted in a lot of threats and hate mail to people who agreed and disagreed with me. At one point I had to say, ‘Dude, everyone lay off.’ Can’t people have friendly debates about sensitive topics without it turning into unnecessary threats?”

Miley goes on the explain that if her own dad, Billy Ray Cyrus, who she describes as a “man’s man” can accept same-sex marriage — so can the rest of America.

It’s amazing how fearless and confident Miley is! We totally respect her for sharing her opinion — she really is a great role model.

You can read the rest of her essay in Glamour on same sex marriage here.

What do you think, HollywoodLifers? Vote and weigh in below!

– Nicole Karlis

More Miley News:

1. Miley Cyrus Tweets Love Message To Liam Hemsworth — So Cute
  2. Miley Cyrus Tells Liam Hemsworth ‘You Save My Life’
  3. Miley Cyrus’ Dogs Go Everywhere With Her

Sandi

Posted at 11:17 PM on February 19, 2012

?nwet:Though, ualbrstnndaedy realm that free time distributed among major regions, an extensive have (31% in the comprehensive inside of 2007, according to the BIS) to plug undertaking is simply psychologically within Rome.

ruaa

Posted at 8:24 AM on February 6, 2012

i love u mileyyyyyyyy

Anonymous

Posted at 9:33 PM on February 6, 2012

On Hannah Montana & Miley Cyrus

Mentor, I have known you for 27 years my friend everything that you and I have been through every one of your’e fans has talked about the Michael and Miley Rivalry I know that you were in Austin, Texas that night because I’ve been hearing about what you’ve said in the Direction of life that’s when the time flys when your’e having fun The Last time we saw each other the fans have talking about the rivalry in history of hollywood, Miley You Need To Know something about me that’s NoOne has told anyone but you. at the same time you’ve been runing around form everybody but me I know it’s been a rough time for you if your’e going to be upset with me don’t be in your song you’ve said I tryed not hurt your’e feelings here Mentor I’m Hoping that you would Understand, but I’m sure whatever you did to me on Saturday night live you could’ve told your’e parents the turth about that day On March 5, of last year Miley never sence you became Hannah Montana back in 2007 I haven’t seen you secne I’ve walked away form you sence I was eight years old then Miley you think could get away with it a lot at the time, my friend you and both know I bet you couldn’t forgive yourself you know why because your’e always been think about you. Miley it’s always been about you everytime you talked about sometime in your’e future I’ve been watching you for the past couple of months, Desnity you’ll never going to change your’e way because I knew right form the start I’ll never going to forgive you for that sence you made fun of me, last year I will never forget you for that.

Yasmin

Posted at 3:51 PM on February 5, 2012

I’m Muslim and in our religion we have to respect everyone!! All human who believe in God have to respect other people and their Life style, religion, opinions etc. We are all human, gay or straight, Muslim or Christian, Black or white, just human. I love Miley for sharing her opinion and defend gay people. Peace in the world!!!

Anonymous

Posted at 9:57 AM on February 4, 2012

I think Miley is in the closet and secretly loves her hairdresser. Liam is just a cover for that relationship.

Anonymous

Posted at 2:41 PM on February 6, 2012

On Miley Cyrus

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

The love of your life has just left you. You feel like you’ve been torn apart, and your heart is shattered. No matter the kind of relationship nor the length, the grief you feel when you lose someone you care for can be devastating.

As long as I can remember, I have cherished quotes. Whenever I am feeling especially vulnerable about something in my life, whether it be death, love, disappointment, or a broken heart, I have turned to reading quotes to gain encouragement and affirmation.

You don’t realize how much you care about someone until they don’t care about you
As a rose cant live without the rain So a heart can’t love without risk of pain

Love is like a puzzle. When you’re in love, all the pieces fit but when your heart gets broken, it takes a while to get everything back together

Randal Leekie

Posted at 3:54 AM on February 4, 2012

Robbi Mostina talks about gay marriage in her song imperfect. She’s an amazing artist. Perfect to listen to if you’re facing dramas about this.

tin2x

Posted at 3:43 AM on February 4, 2012

well me i dont support of a gay marriage but when it comes to miley !!! i love that tatts hehehh love herrrrrrrr

Jess

Posted at 1:38 AM on February 4, 2012

If God is the creator of life, and the Master of the Universe, why would He make so many gay people throughout the history of the world, if He didn’t want them here? They’re not a new invention, they’ve been around a very long time, and they keep coming back. Clearly they are a part of God’s plan, what place is it of yours to judge His choices just because it’s not in the book (you stole from the Jews and bastardized, I might add)?

And saying marriage is only for people with Christian values, between a man and a woman, then why do you allow Atheists to marry? And Agnostics? And if it’s merely for people to come together and procreate more children to go to His Kingdom, why do we allow people who despise and refuse to procreate to marry? Or people who can’t? Muslims can stop right now because polygamy is legal in most Muslim countries (and divine in the doctrine) and you are hypocrites to say it’s okay for one man to take many women as wives (aka slaves) but not okay for one man to love another man, or one woman to love another woman.

Stop thinking about it with your sexual mind (and organs) and start thinking about it with your heart, and your brain. Put yourself in their shoes: if you were told you couldn’t marry because you couldn’t/wouldn’t procreate, or didn’t follow the Bible to the letter of the law, you’d be devastated that you were being kept from having the same rights, freedoms and liberties as people who “do everything the right way.”

joe

Posted at 1:00 AM on February 4, 2012

1. Miley has a tatoo?
2. I thought she used that to remind her what comes after 10?
3. Seems like a marker to show where to place the joint.
4. I thought it was a marker to tell her when to stop digging for the booger.
5. I thought it was a marker to tell her how deep Liam can tolerate penetration of her finger.
6. What happens when a transexual male who thinks he’s a woman marries a woman? Is this a legal marriage?
7. There were no Christians or Jews or Muslims when Adam and Eve were born. The Bible was not written when Adam and Eve were born. Didn’t they both get f*cked by the snake? How did Adam and Eve receive Christian names if Christianity didn’t exist? How did Adam and Eve’s sons have children if no other woman existed besides Eve? Only three possibilities here: Able and Seth were actually gay, and Eve gave them Adam and her daughter; This pissed of Cain, and he killed Adam because he was homophobic. The other possibility is that all three sons slept with Eve and had their babies. They then slept with their daughters. Blasphemy is it?! Probably, but if you are going to take the Bible at it’s literal sense, then we all came from an incestous set of circumstances. I think I’d rather believe we came from apes.

kalei

Posted at 8:00 PM on February 3, 2012

As Christians we are called to love everyone. It is not our place to judge but to love however, the facts are God did not create 2 Eves or 2 Adams and as a true Christian you would support God’s ultimate desire and plan for life. Too often we alter the Word of God and that’s why people become lost and confused. His word is His word.

Pamela

Posted at 3:30 AM on February 5, 2012

I absolutely agree! God IS all about love but the Bible CLEARLY STATES that homosexuality is a sin and that’s what people fail to understand. They think that Christians hate gays or something and we don’t! We just believe God’s word.

Naomi

Posted at 7:48 PM on February 3, 2012

Good for Miley. I stand for gay marriage and I support the gay community. A couple of my friends are gay. If two people love each other, why does the law and people’s beliefs have to get in the way of that? It makes no sense. For people who say that homosexuality is wrong can go to hell. I grew up in a Catholic/Christian background and no one in my family supports gay marriage or the gay community. Think about it, if the US were to ban interracial marriage in every state, there will be an uproar and people will fight for interracial marriage. But when it comes to gay marriage, there are ignorant people out there who want to ban it. I just find that ridiculous. EQUALITY FOR ALL!!!

Ana

Posted at 6:35 PM on February 3, 2012

Yo sinceramente creo que Miley es mas cristiana que todos esos tipos que se creen muy cristianos porque se saben la biblia al derecho y al reves! Ella cumple con algo que muchos “cristianos” no, ¡¡¡ella no jusga a su projimo!!! Ella sabe que eso es tarea de Dios, no de nosotros. Y yo si estoy de acuerdo con el matrimonio homosexual, si no es posible el religioso, por lo menos el civil, ellos pierden derechos que no tendrian porque perder, el amor es el amor, ser gay no es estar enfermo!! Dios no dio una vida y nos dio el derecho a elegir como vivirla, y al morir, Él nos jusgara, ¡¡¡es tan injusto que ellos tengan que cumplir con TODOS los deberes civiles y su pais no les de TODOS sus derechos!!! Y por último ¡¡¿¿en que rayos les afecta a ustedes que dos personas sean felices??!! Por ultimo si ellos estan cometiendo ese terrible pecado(tono de sarcasmo)ellos seran los que se vayan al infierno, no ustedes!! “Te fijas en la paja del ojo ajeno y no te fijas en la viga del tuyo”.
Amén!

melissab

Posted at 6:10 PM on February 3, 2012

one word: INSPIRATIONAL. people call her a bad role model just because she’s smoking. and to be honest i don’t care if she smokes. she stands out for what she believes in and i think that’s the only thing that matters

Sandy

Posted at 5:27 PM on February 3, 2012

Well of course you support it, because you know deep down your a lesbian!
Don’t speak for all of us. Many are okay with gays/lesbians but totally feel marriage is between a man and a women. Takes one of each.

blaize

Posted at 6:48 PM on February 3, 2012

Wow, you’re so ignorant. Just because a person supports gay marriage doesn’t mean they’re gay. There are plenty of straight people who support gay marriage.

mileyyyyyyyyyy

Posted at 5:12 PM on February 3, 2012

yo know i don’t like that idea u know because iam moslem and moslems don’t like that i think its sooooooooooo bad idea but we love u mileyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy so much
but blease out thid idea from ur mind
WE LOVE U MILEY

M

Posted at 4:38 PM on February 3, 2012

Wow, just wow. I never reaally liked Miley, until now. & ugh, why are all these comments so negative? If 2 people love eachother, they should be together. It’s as easy as that. And if you don’t like it, keep your narrow views to youself.

Good for you miley<3 :-)

Cherie Adams

Posted at 4:57 PM on February 18, 2012

Straight is the gate and narrow is the way that leads to eternal life and few there be that find it. Jesus Christ is the only Way, the Truth and the Life! The Bible says homosexuality is a sin, and God’s word is truth. I will be praying for Miley, she needs Jesus! Yes, we’re supposed to love others, and love them enough to tell them the truth so they won’t be lost eternally.

Olivia

Posted at 3:57 PM on February 3, 2012

Go on that way Miley!! Love you ;)

how can people say Homosexuality is wrong to the lord? i don’t understand that… wasn’t about love everyone? . Think people!! please!! and let them be happy

Peace ;)

lexi

Posted at 3:42 PM on February 3, 2012

i think miley is right you are people to judge about what others do with their lives, people are killing themselves because other hate that they are gay,

Angie

Posted at 3:13 PM on February 3, 2012

A lot of people tend to believe that Gay Marriage and Gay Equal Rights are the same when they are NOT. Here’s the thing: Gay equal rights is the belief that all men should be treated eual regardless of their sexuality . And THAT part, I do agree with because no one should be judged on what they can and can not do because of their sexuality , just like no one should be judged on what a man can and can not do because of his skin color. [As Miley stated in her Essay.] I agree with her 100% ON THAT POINT. However, as Q Stated, Miley claims to be Christian and is a supporter or Christ. And Every Christian knows that the Bible is in fact against gay marriage . It was one of the reasons God destroyed the two kingdoms in the Old Testament. And As Q Also Stated, God does NOT hate gay people. He Made Us All in His Own Image, and Loves each and every one of us no matter how many sins we commit. However, God does not agree with same sex marriage . God intended for Sex to be between and Man and A Woman. [Hence the reason why He Sent Adam a Woman in the Garden of Eden. God wanted man to replenish the earth and this can not be done if a man lies with a man the same way he lies with a woman.] And I was disappointed when she used the Bible as a defense to the reason why she got her tattoo. [That was unintelligent move by her] because it questions her Christian beliefs. If she’s such a Christian and Believer of the Bible, then why would she support something that the Bible is HIGHLY against? With that being said, I hope nobody takes this comment as me having a problem with gay people, because I don’t. I have relatives in my family who are gay, however, I still do not support the idea of same sex marriage. It is not my right to judge of person because he wants to live the gay life. Only God can do that. Infact, the first line in the book of Matthew says “Judge ye not, lest thy be judged”.

Pamela

Posted at 3:41 AM on February 5, 2012

You are SO. RIGHT! Many people get confused about the difference between gay equal rights and gay marriage. Also, if Miley (and others) were TRUE Christians they’d know that God CLEARLY didn’t support gay marriage. Also, I HATE the fact that when you tell someone that you don’t support gay marriage they think that you hate gays and that couldn’t be further from the truth.

Cleo

Posted at 3:04 PM on February 3, 2012

I’m not in favor of the practice, so I don’t do it. But lets balance this issue out…the Bible also points out that man and woman are to only have sex for reproductive purposes, not for casual pleasure. How many derivatives of the sex act, including toys, ointments, and any other paraphenelia is used these days in the privacy of peoples homes to “reaffirm” the marriage contract? We are all sinners, because it is natural to engage in sex, it’s biological, it’s chemical (hormones) which is the ground to it. It happens to all of us. So a few get the wrong amount of chemicals in their bodies for both, biological (the non-choice) or the chosen or get their wiring cross because of the environment they’ve been exposed to in their lives. Does that justify the sins of judging people, which are just as bad. On a practical level, if people live together to take care of each other and share their bounty for safety and enjoyment, does an accident of nature or choice justify the segregation of otherwise normal people for punishment (prisons) or economics (job segregation) or social shunning (no service here). I’d rather focus on the qualities of a human that provide value to me, and shun the fear of experiences the pervesion in mind of thinking of the specific act of what others do in private. Why would I want to spend my looking into someone else’s pants or into their windows to continue the fear in my head. I find I’m freer in what I do and what I think, and appreciate humanity for what God intended us to be…a practical joke that makes Him smile everyday and be amazed and what he created. Peace of mind trumps the persecution of others anyday.

cheyenne

Posted at 2:46 PM on February 3, 2012

well miley i hope you know i turn away from you kas i found out u was guy

Q

Posted at 2:42 PM on February 3, 2012

I really like Miley, But she is wrong. Homosexuality is wrong to the LORD. It says in LEVITICUS 18:22 ‘You shall not lie with a male as with a woman. It is an abomination.’ And it also says in LEVITICUS 20:13 ‘If a man lies with a male as he lies with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination. They shall surely be put to death. Their blood shall be upon them.’ Now the LORD is more forgiving then HE was in the Old Testament, because of Jesus Christ. Even though homosexuality is still wrong to the LORD HE will forgive you. If Jesus Christ didn’t die on the Cross for ALL of our sins we would all be in hell right now. I feel that Miley is misleading people saying that gay marriage is OK when it is not OK. I’m not saying that the Lord hates gay people HE loves everyone that is true always will be, but He does not love their sin of being a homosexual. The LORD is so wonderful that HE can forgive any sin that we commit that is how awesome HE truly is.

cheyenne

Posted at 2:47 PM on February 3, 2012

i didnt know about miley being gay wow

Tarc

Posted at 4:16 PM on February 3, 2012

Actually, that’s one modern translastion of a long line of biased translations of the original. Did it really mean that? It’s not clear. The Jews clearly don’t agree, and they only used the Old Testament. I also have a great deal of problems with Leviticus, as should all modern people – especially women. After all, it says a great many things in Leviticus that will get women damned to hell – like not being tossed out of the house while she’s menstruating. Or wearing jewelry… or pants… or cotton-poly blend cloth… or eating shellfish. According to Leviticus, I think every modern human is going to Hell, and that clearly makes no sense.

LittleMo

Posted at 2:36 PM on February 3, 2012

I go along with civil unions, survivors rights for insurance, medical decisions, etc. but I draw the line at the idea of marriage. It IS NOT the same and never will be no matter who hollers about it or what they do to themselves. Imagine 2 chairs side-by-side. One is part of a set of chairs that goes with a dining room table. The other is an executive chair from an office. They are both chairs, they do the same thing, but they are not the same and never will be. That is the difference between marriage bewteen a man and a woman and what the gay community wants to call marriage. Gay couples love each other, live together, make a life together, etc. But, just like that executive’s chair and that dining room chair, they are not going to be the same as a heterosexual couple.

Tarc

Posted at 4:09 PM on February 3, 2012

You are certainly entitled to that view, and that’s one I do nto share at all. It’s also one that Declaration of Independence (the spirit of US law) and the US Constitution (the letter of the law) do not agree with.

Yasmin

Posted at 1:14 PM on February 3, 2012

This is why I love this girl,and I’m typing this whith tears in my eyes… Proud of u Miley Ray Cyrus.