Jamie Lynn Spears Admits: I Was Too Scared To Ask A Doctor About Birth Control

Fri, February 3, 2012 11:27am EDT by 20 Comments
Jamie Lynn Spears Admits: I Was Too Scared To Ask A Doctor About Birth Control

Britney’s little sister shocked everyone when she got pregnant at 16, and now she reveals what really happened.

In 2007, Jamie Lynn Spears was 16 years old and the star of the hit Nickelodeon show Zoey 101. When she announced she was pregnant by her then-boyfriend Casey Aldridge, she received lots of flack from angry parents and confused teens, and now she’s finally speaking out about her decisions in a new interview with Glamour magazine.

“I’d had one boyfriend,” explains Jamie Lynn. “It doesn’t make it perfect or all right. But I was judged for something that probably most everyone does. I was young. I was in love. I was like every other teenager, except I had this last name. And I made a decision that is forever my decision.”

Jamie Lynn was so in love, and she thought she was going to be with Casey forever. But she was too scared to speak with a doctor about birth control options.

“I believe in safety and birth control as prevention,” she says. “But like many young girls… I was really scared to go to the doctor. And I was on a Nickelodeon show, and it [felt] especially embarrassing to ask someone to put me on birth control. I didn’t want to ask my doctor because she had a little girl.”

After she found out she was pregnant, she revealed the shocking news to OK! magazine. “But I wasn’t trying to glamorize teen pregnancy,” she says. “I hated when [the tabloids] said that. Everybody is dealt a hand of cards. It was my choice to play them the way I played them. But the hateful comments hurt.”

Jamie Lynn disappeared from the spotlight as she focused on raising her daughter, but now she’s ready to jumpstart her career again! She moved to Nashville and is writing and performing music.

She expects scrutiny because of her past and her famous sis. “The last time anyone heard anything of me, I was 16 and pregnant,” she explains. “All I can do is be my best — there will always be people who will never like me.”

More Jamie Lynn Spears news:

1. Jamie Lynn Spears: I’m Just Like The ‘Teen Mom’ Girls
  2. ‘Teen Mom’ Chelsea Houska Gets Love Advice From Jamie Lynn Spears
  3. Britney Spears’ Niece Maddie Sings Her Song ‘Up ‘N’ Down!’ Too Cute!

ras

Posted at 12:42 PM on January 19, 2014

Not for nothing but was she to scared to use a condom??

not telling you

Posted at 7:42 PM on October 9, 2013

your boyfriend shoulda bought a condom XD

lilibet

Posted at 6:59 PM on October 8, 2013

I MISS ZOEY 101 i wish somehow it would come back i remember the first episode like yesterday. I still watch it though:,(

lilibet

Posted at 6:54 PM on October 8, 2013

Its ok i guess i love her show and she seems nice. Leave her alone haters she was SIXTEEN
———–

Gracie

Posted at 7:57 PM on April 19, 2013

Everybody makes mistakes but how r we gonna learn if we don’t make them!

nopw

Posted at 9:18 PM on March 2, 2013

She looks like she’s 42 year old.

Becca

Posted at 3:19 PM on March 31, 2012

I’m sooo happy she finally talked about this! I kept wondering about what ever happened to her. She just dropped the face of the earth and it was killing me! I hope I see more of her now. She had good reasons for disappearing like that but she seemed to confused many “fans” and outraged many parents. I wish they’d just left her alone because it’s scary enough going through that but it’s worse when you have camera’s and reporter’s all up in your face. She had to think about the baby not just herself.

Saira

Posted at 12:11 AM on February 20, 2012

Found you from Jamie’s place!Loved your bio … lteetrs to my 18 year old self … oh the things I would say and then knowing my 18 year old self.I’d probably ignore them all ;)

Emma

Posted at 7:28 PM on February 5, 2012

I have a lot of respect for Jamie Lynn because she handled her situation with maturity and like an adult. Jamie Lynn stepped out of the spotlight and focused on her daughter instead of taking the “easier way out” and having her mom raise Maddie while she continued her career in showbiz. Jamie Lynn grew up and did what she had to do to care for her child – and THAT is commendable. :)

IssaquahMom

Posted at 2:07 PM on February 5, 2012

Like everyone she has made mistakes, big deal. I have a lot of respect for her because she made the best decision she could by making the best choices for her CHILD instead of herself. Many people famous or not have a problem doing that even at twice her age! So before one judges they need to realize famous people aren’t perfect.

victoria

Posted at 2:01 PM on February 5, 2012

That sucks!i miss zoey 101! /:

aleisha

Posted at 10:59 PM on February 5, 2013

I know right :'(

cece

Posted at 5:22 PM on February 4, 2012

She looks like a mess

hellokitty2142

Posted at 7:04 PM on February 3, 2012

well she did what she had to do, step out of the spotlight and raise her child and as long as shes doing that i think she is a good mom, i’ve always like jamie ever since she was on zoey 101.

sandy

Posted at 12:12 AM on February 4, 2012

@Melanie — you said it perfectly! @Disco — some parents are in denial – and they do pay the price — as Jamie did. However, Jamie can afford her own kid — unlike most teen moms. She kept out of the spotlight – and focused on herself! Good for her! I have a hell of a lot of respect for her!

Melanie

Posted at 3:20 PM on February 3, 2012

She was to scared to ask 1 doctor for birth control but obviously not to scared to get pregnant and have to announce that to millions of people.

disco

Posted at 1:53 PM on February 3, 2012

that is just dumb. pathetically dumb.

When I was 16 my mother took me to the dr and made the dr talk to me. thats what mothers do

mel

Posted at 5:27 PM on February 3, 2012

It’s really messed up to judge her, and her mother that way. I bet a lot of teen girls can relate to her, and what she went through

Abby

Posted at 7:46 PM on February 3, 2012

You should judge her. Not every ones mom does what yours does. It depends on what the parent believes. Don’t be biased because you don’t know what her life is like.

Lola

Posted at 1:53 PM on November 11, 2012

Ok that was your mother not all mothers think the same way many don’t even speak to there children about sex like my mother. I didn’t have a child beacuse I learned from my friends mistakes who like me there parents never really spoke to them. Alot of parents they don’t want to think that there children are having sex. I’m not saying that it’s the parents fault it’s also the Childs but who is anyone to judge. People talk like if they have never made mistakes. Listen no one criticizes you whenyou make an error they tell you or show you how to fix it. So don’t judge her she is taking care of her child the best way she can. Now she must be open with her daughter and speak to her when she gets older so she won’t make the same mistake.