'Vampire Diaries' Recap: Are Damon & Stefan Both Giving Up On Elena?

Thu, February 2, 2012 11:57pm EDT by 52 Comments
Courtesy of The CW (3)

Klaus posed an interesting question to the Salvatores: Is either brother actually right for her?

A funny thing happened on the Feb. 2 episode of The Vampire Diaries — Klaus (Joseph Morgan) actually became the voice of reason! “The worst thing for Elena Gilbert is the two of you,” he told Damon (Ian Somerhalder) and Stefan (Paul Wesley) during an insanely beautiful brotherly dinner. But because no one ever really listens to Klaus, the Salvatore brothers retreated to the woods, where they both confessed their love of Elena (Nina Dobrev) to one another. That should make next week’s big dance episode really interesting.

Since Klaus posed this question, I guess I can’t pass up the opportunity to weigh in. My recaps, scoops, and general posts have been fairly pro-Damon up to this point — yes, I’m willing to admit it — but no matter which brother you prefer with Elena, you can’t deny that Klaus has a point. Just think about all the pain the Salvatores have put Elena through in less than three seasons. No matter which one she ends up with, the relationship will be abusive. Maybe a nice human boy wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world.

OK, now let’s see what everybody else in Mystic Falls was up to this week…

Family Matters: Not only are Elijah (Daniel Gillies), Rebekah (Claire Holt) and the rest of Klaus’ siblings now back from the dead, but the final piece of the Original puzzle came together this week when — wait for it — their mother emerged from the coffin! While it’s true that most of us predicted she was the one resting in the box, that didn’t alleviate the dramatic impact of her arrival. After forgiving Klaus for his transgressions, she announced she wanted everyone to be a family again. The Originals may be terrifying, but you have to admit, their collective attractiveness will make for a damn fine family Christmas card.

Daddy Issues: Just when you thought Elena had the most tragic family life, along came Caroline (Candice Accola). After her dad (Jack Coleman) was killed with vampire blood in his system, Caroline tried to convince him that an undead life was still worth living — but he wasn’t having any of it. Cue the tears, cue the emotions, and cue me curled up in the fetal position on my couch.

Mama Drama: While Caroline and Bill hashed out their issues, Bonnie (Kat Graham) and Abby (Persia White) had their own drama to deal with — and I’m not just talking about finding a way to open the coffin. Bonnie told Abby she used to pretend she was dead to alleviate the pain of her abandonment. Tears ensued. I’m looking forward to seeing those two work out their issues, but I can’t shake the feeling that Abby getting her powers back is not the great idea everyone thinks it is.

Matt Donovan, ladies and gentlemen: Can we talk about the human Band-Aid that is Matt Donovan (Zach Roerig)? He may not have super-human speed, or the ability to rip out a hybrid’s heart, but damn it, that kid is the ultimate security blanket. As we saw this week, he has the uncanny ability to enter any situation and make all the pain go away. So I guess he does have a power of sorts: His hugs are magic.

What are your thoughts about this week’s episode? Do you agree with Klaus that Elena would be better off with neither brother? Are you as suspicious of Bonnie’s mom as I am? And how freakin’ excited are you for next week’s big dance episode? See you in the comments section!

— Andy Swift

Follow Andy on Twitter for more Vampire Diaries updates

delena

Posted at 8:52 AM on February 9, 2012

delena forever and eternity

DarkCupCake

Posted at 12:07 AM on February 7, 2012

matt and stephen are boring
dalena ftw
i think katherine is good for stephen
and matt should just go be find himself a human girl

if it wasnt for the salvatore brothers she would be dead since she the dopple ganger [the key to making klaus hybrids] , so if anything they saved her.
she belongs with damon u can see the chemestry!

just my opinion -_-

Elmira

Posted at 5:02 AM on February 4, 2012

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I can’t believe this is happening!I always wanted this. that both brothers leave that bitch which they brought the subject on. I hope it happens. I hate her SHe is the most selfish Thing in the Series.
P.s. Damon and katherine are made for each other.

lala

Posted at 1:01 PM on February 3, 2012

i cant fricken wait for the next episode in the preview they gave for the next episode was a lot of fricken drama and romance i love it cant wait i never miss a vampire dairies episode have you

Melika

Posted at 12:37 PM on February 3, 2012

Wow! There are so many comments !
I think Stefan and Elena will get back together !
I’m really excited to see what will happen in the next episode! I loved this weeks episode , and or was really good to see that stefan still cares about Elena , I loved them together , bur I really like to where Katherine is! She wasn’t around for a while, I’m pretty sure she is somewhere makong a plan that will surprise everyone!

Emilie

Posted at 9:29 AM on February 3, 2012

If they both stop loving elena 99% will stop watching, and maybe katherine or tyler is on killerspread?

You Know Who I Am

Posted at 9:40 AM on February 3, 2012

I do think that people will stop watching if all the drama goes away because that’s what keeps us on the edge of our seats every week :)

Posted at 10:26 AM on February 3, 2012

I’m on board with the theory that Tatia is the serial killer. Katherine is a good guess because the killer has Elena’s fingerprints BUT isn’t it a little weird that they happened to bring up Tatia for the first time this week?

Hm…

silver33

Posted at 8:45 AM on February 3, 2012

I totelly agree with u..and I love Katherine she just make the storey get amazing and intersting I love to see her fighting with damon and also I think ellna should pick up one man not playing on the robe !!
I am of course loveing the evil of klaus ..and hate Matt he is just boring (should speak his mind 4 carolaine)to bad becouse something is about to happen between her and the wolfman !!

RoSa

Posted at 8:41 AM on February 3, 2012

STEFAN AND ELENA PLLLEEEAAASSSSEEE

Andy

Posted at 2:51 AM on February 3, 2012

2 things I can’t wait for. 1, Next’s episode. 2, the return of Katherine. I have a feeling she’ll add a bit of controversy to this whole “brothers-love-for-same-girl”. Elena is truly boring me now, can’t she just turn already!

Posted at 10:26 AM on February 3, 2012

What about…

3. The introduction of Tatia? :)

Jen

Posted at 2:39 AM on February 3, 2012

I feel so sorry for Klaus :(

Michi

Posted at 12:32 AM on February 3, 2012

I really believe Elena belong with Stefan, more chemistry with them but as Katherine then she belongs with Damon more heat there….Matt??? come on that’s why they broke up in the first place (BORING)…..somebody said it right Damon and Elena have nothing in common….he is just lusting after what his brother has

Jasmijn

Posted at 1:28 PM on February 3, 2012

I think Delena has more chemestry. And besides, they do have something in common. In the books they are always talking about the same kind of fire in their soul. That’s why they are so attracted to eachother. What do Stefan and Elena have in common? I haven’t figured it out yet, maybe you can tell me that instead? I love Katherine and Stefan together. I thought it was really sweet that Katherine was truley in love with Stefan. I loved those flashback. For the rest I don’t really like Stefan. He’s boring, even as ripper.

DAH

Posted at 5:17 PM on February 3, 2012

Chemistry is subjective, which is one reason this series is so fun–depending on the viewer, they see chemistry between different characters than the next person. What you call chemistry, I call puppy love and desperation.

As for Damon “lusting after what his brother has”… this could be a valid point. Ignoring, of course, the fact Elena was the first person to verbally acknowledge back in season 1 that Damon lost someone when Katherine “died” just as Stefan did. Or that, due to her enormous heart, Elena hugged Damon when Katherine was found not to be in the tomb and Damon’s entire world for the past century came crashing down around him. Or the fact they do manage to have genuinely friendly moments amidst all the horror. You know, pretty much ignoring the fact that Damon may just have fallen for her because Elena was the first person in a long time to have some empathy for him and see that he isn’t just a monster.

You know.

Ignoring the entire series’ premise being that this is supposed to be about a love triangle, it makes sense.

Rayne

Posted at 12:30 AM on February 3, 2012

Klaus definitely made a good point, as did Rebekah in an earlier episode. Elena has made it clear that she wants to remain human, get married and have a family, so loving two vampire brothers and being torn between them will never give her the future she wishes. Rebekah made a point to say vampire should never be involved with a human because they are the superior species, as well as being blood thirsty predators. At some point for Elena to remain human, she will have to let the Salvatore brothers go. After this episode, I have a feeling Damon knows this too. However, if Elena out of love for one of the Salvatore Brothers, chooses freely to turn into a vampire and spend an eternity with one of them, it definitely needs to be for Damon. Without a doubt, it should be for Damon.

Jasmijn

Posted at 1:30 PM on February 3, 2012

Love you!!!

DAH

Posted at 5:20 PM on February 3, 2012

I actually have to agree with this. At least until Stefan learns how to balance being a vampire/predator and holding on to his humanity, he could never have a healthy future with Elena. It would be a lot of self-loathing turning into perceived loathing for what Elena is and tears and blood binging and fighting to get back on the wagon.

With Damon, it would be more like, “Well, now that it’s done… let’s explore the fun parts of being a vampire, and then we’ll talk about what your eternity will be like.”

Big Red

Posted at 11:50 PM on February 2, 2012

The one thing that confused me most about this episode was Rebekka being back. I for sure thought that Klaus steaked her with the steak that mikeal had to kill klaus the only stake to actually kill an original? And yet she’s alive? Hmmmm might have to rewatch some episodes…

Posted at 12:10 AM on February 3, 2012

Hm… I just assumed Klaus stabbed her with same dagger Elena used. But hey, you know what they say about assuming. lol

Rayne

Posted at 12:33 AM on February 3, 2012

Mikael’s stake was an actual branch from the white oak tree that was burned 1000 years ago. When Klaus used that stake on Mikael it went up in flames too.

just me

Posted at 11:34 PM on February 2, 2012

lol..team Matt:) u can not be serious, guys!i recall fans’ comments about great life Bella could have had with Michael if she just had dumped Edward. hehe…
in my opinion EElena is a perverted fantasy though Elijah is such a nobleman and an actor playing him is totally hot.
can not wait to see how they deal with all this madness:O

Jo

Posted at 11:10 PM on February 2, 2012

Does anyone take into account that it is BECAUSE Elena is the dopleganger that all this stuff with the originals is happening. I don”t deny that both the Salvatore’s have caused Elena pain and problems, but they have saved her, her friends and family as well. I really don’t think having a human boyfriend is the answer. Unless he’s given a live forever ring, he’ll be dead in 3 episodes tops.

Posted at 12:11 AM on February 3, 2012

That’s the other way to look at it, and I definitely agree.

Also, a “live forever ring” would be VERY handy in this town.

Rayne

Posted at 12:38 AM on February 3, 2012

If Elena chooses a human guy to marry and have children with, then yes, that guy needs an eternity ring. I say that Alaric and Elena would make a fantastic couple 5 years down the road. Just sayin…Alaric is hot, rugged and would definitely keep her safe.

Anna

Posted at 11:08 PM on February 2, 2012

Elena/Elijah is the best ship.

HopeLessRomantic

Posted at 11:05 PM on February 2, 2012

The awkward moment when you realise that you have more in common with your enemies than you think :0

Posted at 12:11 AM on February 3, 2012

I’m surprised they just now drew the connection between the brothers and loving a doppelganger. Didn’t we know that LAST season when we first saw Klaus’ past?

masearte

Posted at 11:01 PM on February 2, 2012

great episode! but I’m sorry I don’t think Elena would be better off with either I want her with Damon what the heck Matt? seriously? D/E!!!!!

Becki

Posted at 11:00 PM on February 2, 2012

Elena with Ric or Matt. :)

Posted at 12:12 AM on February 3, 2012

Matt please! (I can’t handle another teacher-student relationship on my TV.)

arta

Posted at 1:30 AM on February 3, 2012

when some of u say matt i just think of that scardy cat boyfriend u have 2 save every min and then leaves u becuz of too much drama and when u say alaric omg i just puke u know i never saw john as elena’s father but alaric is totally the symbol of DAD right here ok maybe irresponsibe dad but that would be just gross its team delena 4 me 4ever and plus if the salvatore bros didnt come bonnie wouldnt have discovered her powers elena’s life would be the same old sad “my parents died but im ok (im not)” kinda life or heck she wouldve died and even if she survived the crash klaus would come after her she wouldnt know anything about him and many other ppl would be killed klaus would kill her and still achive nothing except himself being a hybrid and elena would be dead

Jennifer

Posted at 10:33 PM on February 2, 2012

LMAO, Andy!! Way to show ‘em! ;-D

Posted at 10:58 PM on February 2, 2012

Emma

Posted at 10:11 PM on February 2, 2012

I seriously think all the girls should stay single and spend more time together away from the guys. They need a girls night out. :)

Posted at 10:16 PM on February 2, 2012

Right?! Why don’t they put dating on the back burner and thinking about other things — you know, like college.

TeamMatt

Posted at 10:06 PM on February 2, 2012

She should be with Matt! =)

Posted at 10:15 PM on February 2, 2012

You know what?

More people should be Team Matt.

Laura

Posted at 9:56 PM on February 2, 2012

Let’s just let Elijah and Elena hook up and have that be the end of it.

@lauralmoore

Posted at 10:01 PM on February 2, 2012

Haha, I talked to Daniel Gillies about Elena and Elijah’s sexual tension last season:

(He’s all for it.)

Amanda

Posted at 9:46 PM on February 2, 2012

Unless Elena has changed her mind and decides to become a vampire, then I agree with Klaus. One a side note, what is the deal with Damon? He hasn’t really spent any REAL time with her but he loves her? I think its residuals from 100+ years of unanswered love for Katherine…

Posted at 9:53 PM on February 2, 2012

That’s not a bad point.

I’m picturing Damon finally going on a date with Elena, only to discover they have no common interests whatsoever.

amanda

Posted at 11:50 PM on February 2, 2012

Lmao buyers remorse

arta

Posted at 1:45 AM on February 3, 2012

i cant believe i actually thought u were team delena of course he knows alot abt her did elena and stefan go on a real date and their way past that and its not like u have to date someone to fall in love with them plus they already know they have no common interest ever heard of opposites attract

Amanda

Posted at 10:35 AM on February 3, 2012

Once things calm down and the drama is over, if that were to ever happen, damon would get bored and Elena would realize that she has zero in common with Damon. Atleast she and Stefan liked books and poetry and what not…

Get a life!!

Posted at 9:36 PM on February 2, 2012

Boring :p

Posted at 9:42 PM on February 2, 2012

Mom? Is that you?

Tamara

Posted at 4:12 PM on February 3, 2012

Dear God, you are amazing, people! Matt?!? The only more boring couple than Stefan and Elena on the show is Matt and Elena. I wish Damon to back off Elena, just to show how smarter he is. This is show about vampires, so she should be involved with them. But, on the other hand, Damon should love her and be heplfull and usefull to all of them, without any kind of credit for thah!?! I think any book or show character deserves better. He should learn from the past, and move on with his for sure much more interesting life out of Mistic Falls. And she should be with selfish Stefan, because that is the only thing they have in common.