Home Birth Advocate Dies After Giving Birth At Home

Wed, February 1, 2012 4:10pm EDT by 9 Comments
Home Birth Death

A woman who campaigned for home births ran into complications while giving birth and was rushed to the hospital, but it was too late!

Caroline Lovell strongly advocated home births, but she went into cardiac arrest and died while giving birth to her second daughter at home, according to The Daily Mail. The 36-year-old was taken to the hospital, but it was too late. Fortunately, her daughter, Zahra, survived.

A private midwife was there to assist with the delivery, but her heart stopped and paramedics were called to the home in Melbourne.

During a 2009 health inquiry, Caroline shared her strong views: “On a personal note, I am quite shocked and ashamed that home birth will no longer be a woman’s free choice in low-risk pregnancies. As a home birthing mother I will have no choice but to have an unassisted birth at home as this is the place I want to birth my children.”

HollyMoms — What do YOU think of home births?

More Diet & Health stories:

1. Children Who Are Cuddled Are Less Likely To Do Drugs — New Study
  2. New Study Finds Arsenic In Apple Juice
  3. Health Officials Fear A Disease Outbreak As Less Kids Are Being Vaccinated — New Report

Tamra

Posted at 10:49 AM on February 2, 2012

I’m sorry for the family and the baby..but my doctor told me when I was asking about home birth or even birthing centers and he explained how emergency crews could never arrive in time even if they are just down the street..why risk a life when hospitals offer family birthing rooms that are family friendly..I think its selfish to risk a life! Babies dont know where there being born, all they know is there safe in mommy’s arms!

Bless You

Posted at 12:39 AM on February 2, 2012

RIP sad story

Lisa

Posted at 12:25 AM on February 2, 2012

It would be fantastic if people would take a deep breath and wait for the coroner’s report to be released before turning this into a homebirth “issue”.

mesha

Posted at 10:01 PM on February 1, 2012

She did what she wanted to do and i agree i choose home birth too, doctors and hospitals interfere too much!, it is all peoples minds what bad things befall them, survival of the fittest!.

Sonya

Posted at 7:40 PM on February 1, 2012

Its a womans choice. This could have happened anyway. She didnt hemorrhage she had a heart attack she probably already had a heart condition she didnt know about.

Kate

Posted at 4:52 PM on February 1, 2012

How it any different from women who did it for centuries before us? Just like breastfeeding, why stop something that women are so use to doing? I,for one,believe a woman shouldn’t have to be forced to do something they feel uncomfortable doing.

aly

Posted at 4:40 PM on February 1, 2012

why do something dangerous and risk a homebirth when you could have it way safer? we live in a century where we can have the help at a hospital so why dont take it??

MissMel

Posted at 4:27 PM on February 1, 2012

This poll seems a little slanted. I don’t think home births are necessarily the way to go and I wouldn’t have one myself, however, I think each woman has the right to choose. I don’t like the idea of the government telling people they can’t choose how to bring their children into the world. Some choices are private.

mnth

Posted at 9:32 AM on February 2, 2012

I agree with you, it’s the mothers decision. Normally, with low risk pregnancies, there is no reason to need a hospital. Midwives can care for normal, postpartum women. Maybe this woman didn’t have a normal pregnancy in the first place but still wanted to stay at home…who knows? But the point is one option doesn’t work for every woman, and there decisions shouldn’t be looked down on or taken away.