'Jane By Design' Recap: Irresponsible Jane Gets Billy In Trouble — Again

Tue, January 31, 2012 10:44pm EST by 15 Comments
Courtesy of ABC Family

Do you agree that Jane is taking advantage of the doormats in her life, or am I being too harsh?

Jane’s (Erica Dasher) entire life was turned upside down on the Jan. 31 episode of Jane By Design when she misplaced the Donovan Decker’s coveted look book — and when the dust settled, I was left asking myself one very important question: Why do the guys in Jane’s life continue to put up with all of her crap?

Join me as I go guy-by-guy, assessing the damage Jane has inflicted upon the gentlemen in her life.

Billy: The viewers are being led to believe that Billy (Nick Roux) and Jane’s friendship will eventually become more than platonic, but as it stands, he’s fully committed to Lulu (Meagan Tandy) — yet Billy was willing to take an entire week of detention as punishment for skipping class to help Jane find her missing book. Why should he suffer for her mistake? The worst part is that you could tell he didn’t want to leave class, but he could hear the panic in her voice, so he took pity on her. So she got a free trip to Paris, while he got a free trip to detention.

Jeremy: As Donovan Decker’s resident playboy, Jeremy (Rowly Dennis) has gone out of his way to avoid having “the talk” with India (India de Beaufort.) But when Jane needed to sneak into India’s office to search for the look book, she roped Jeremy into a hellish chat with the office minx. And correct me if I’m wrong, but it’s not like he already owed her a favor.

Ben: There’s only one thing preventing Ben (David Clayton Rogers) from gaining the respect of his students — and that obstacle’s name is Jane. Even though he begged her to put down the look book during gym class, she stood her ground, which pretty much killed his authority. Jane Quimby, emasculator extraordinaire!

In fact, the only guy in Jane’s life not putting up with her shenanigans is Nick (Matthew Atkinson), which automatically makes him my favorite. Rather than wait around, wondering why Jane isn’t giving him the time of day, he’s moved on to another girl — you know, one who actually tells him where she’s going when she leaves the room.

So tell me: Am I right on the money, or am I being way too harsh on Jane? See you in the comments section!

— Andy Swift

Follow Andy on Twitter for more Jane By Design coverage

Kathy

Posted at 8:08 PM on February 5, 2012

I have one question…does Ben know Jane is getting paid? I know he thinks its just an internship but some internships are paid.

Sarah

Posted at 7:42 AM on February 2, 2012

OMG DEFINITELY RIGHT ON THE MONEY!!! Her wacky hijinks are thoughtless and stupid and INCREDIBLY SELF ABSORBED! I’ve had it up to here with Hollywood validating this spoiled self absorbed behavior from teenage girls. It’s nauseating.

Andy Swift

Posted at 11:13 AM on February 2, 2012

Thank you! I was starting to wonder if I was crazy. 0_o

I feel like a lot of these shows — Pretty Little Liars included — are all about girls who lie to guys, and the guys just put up with it. No questions asked.

Grow a spine, dudes!

Val

Posted at 2:07 AM on February 2, 2012

No, you’re not being too harsh! I think Jane’s been very self-centered and she’s my least fav character on the show! I feel sorry for her brother, and Billy. She takes advantage of them. What does she ever do for them? I don’t know why they let her.

Andy Swift

Posted at 11:14 AM on February 2, 2012

“What does she ever do for them? I don’t know why they let her.”

Ding, ding, ding!

Also, if you don’t like Jane, who’s your favorite character? (I think mine’s Ben.)

Liv

Posted at 1:07 AM on February 1, 2012

I think you are being too harsh. In Billy’s case, if you’re truly best friends you will take crap for each other. If my best friend called me in the middle of class with something that meant the world to him, I would take detention for it. Obviously, Jeremy and Jane are friends…and Jeremy may be in love with Jane…but you should do stuff for friends…and he did need to face India at some point (even if their “talk” was pointless. In Ben’s case, Jane is his little sister (and he is her guardian) I would do anything for family.

Andy Swift

Posted at 1:03 PM on February 1, 2012

What sucks about the Billy thing is that he didn’t even need to help her. If it was somewhere in the school, MAYBE I’d understand. But she left it in a cab.

hadtosay

Posted at 6:52 PM on February 1, 2012

There’s doing things for friends and family, and then there’s taking advantage! At best their enabling her and she’s too immature to care, at worst she’s a horrible selfish person.

Natalie

Posted at 11:35 PM on January 31, 2012

I think Jane did go a little too far with asking Billy to help her find the Look Book, but it was also Billy’s desicion to stay in class or leave. Billy is a big boy, he can make his own choices and deal with the consequences. I like Billy and I am kind of rooting for him and Jane to get together, but I feel as though Billy can determine for himself when Jane is pushing her limits. As for Jeremy, didnt Jane sort of do him a small favor when the Japanese fashion chick came to visit. Didnt Jane get his dress on the next issue? Yes, she did. And he also was flirting with Jane and India at the same time. So, I think the least he can do is chat India up for awhile while Jane searches for the Look Book. Jane’s brother needs to get over his image and reputation issues. Hes out of high school and shouldnt care about how his younger sister is making him look in front his students. Just let Jane sit one gym class out. Shes helping you pay for the house the both of you are living in with her internship, and if that means clutching the Look Book all day so be it. And finally, Nick. Nick is cool because he doesnt put up with her hot and cold behavior, but his character hasnt been developed enough yet for me to have a solid opinion. I like Lulu to an extent, but something in me is holding out for Billy and Jane. But only time will tell…

Natalie

Posted at 12:07 AM on February 1, 2012

Me again… I read an interview where the creator of the show wanted Jane and Billy’s relationship to mirror that of the classic Pretty in Pink characters… And Ducky is an overly devoted guy… Willing to do anything for the girl he loves… Yet he doesnt get her in the end… What does that say for Jane and Billy’s future? Is Nick the next Blaine lol? I guess we’ll have to wait and see :)

Andy Swift

Posted at 1:05 PM on February 1, 2012

OK, if Billy is supposed to be like Ducky then it makes sense — the hopeless, clueless best friend. I’m still hoping he comes to his senses, though.

Val

Posted at 2:11 AM on February 2, 2012

Well, the creator shouldn’t imitate Pretty In Pink so much! Doesn’t she know how many people hate Molly Ringwald’s character in that movie because she was so mean to Ducky? I don’t want to hate the main character in a movie or TV show. But I’m starting to dislike Jane because she doesn’t treat Billy better. What was the point of making him leave class and get in trouble, when she hung up on him right after he left?! Why should he drop everything to deal with every “crisis” Jane has? I’d like to see Jane do something for him once in awhile. Would she be willing to get in trouble at her dream job, if it meant helping Billy in some way? I doubt it.

bieber lover

Posted at 11:19 PM on January 31, 2012

i think u r bieng to hard jane is just bieng herself dont judge the show to hard its barley getting started

Angel