A Mother Gave Birth To A 14-Pound Baby Without Painkillers

Tue, January 31, 2012 1:00pm EDT by 13 Comments
14 Pound Baby

Baby Asher was born naturally at 13 pounds and 13 ounces after his mother endured six hours of labor — and NO epidural. Wow!

Kendall Stewardson gave birth last thursday to her second son at the Mercy Medical Center in Des Moines, Iowa, according to USA Today. Kendall took no epidural injections during labor because she and her husband Joshua were set against cesarian delivery.

Asher was born at 23 1/2 inches long. Fifteen months earlier she gave birth to her son Judah, who weighed 12 pounds and one ounce.

According to the Mercy Medical Center officials, only about 1% of newborns weigh more than 11 pounds at birth.

Asher isn’t the only baby to get the medias attention due to his weight. In July, JaMichael Brown was born weighting 16 pounds to Texas native Janet Johnson. According to the Guiness Book of World Records, Canadian Anna Bates gave birth to the largest baby ever, weighing 23 pounds and 12 ounces.

Can you imagine giving birth to a baby that large?!?

-Milly Contreras

More HollyBaby stories:

1. Heartless Mother Deserts Two Young Daughters On The Sidewalk
  2. Couple Face Death Penalty For Locking A Girl In A Box In Boiling Heat
  3. Gender-Neutral Child’s Sex FINALLY Revealed After Five Years

Mr. Stan

Posted at 3:52 AM on July 31, 2013

wasn’t there an African baby born that weighed 22lbs some years ago and it took all the mothers in that village that were still with milk to feed the baby?

dani

Posted at 2:09 PM on February 1, 2012

maybe she is diabetic, causing a large baby, but not healthy for baby

Mary

Posted at 9:47 PM on February 1, 2012

Another article I read about this said that she had no other relevant medical conditions such as gestational diabetes. She was completely healthy.

courtney

Posted at 9:41 AM on February 1, 2012

Caesarean is spelled wrong these mothers probably had gestational diabetes which would explain the excessive weight of the babies. there’s been stories of babies being over 11lbs at birth for nearly 100 years including Frank Sinatra who was 13lbs 8oz at birth on december 12th 1915. giving birth to a child that size with a c-section isn’t unheard of and most c-sections done in this country are done for vanity reasons not medical neccessity only about 72,000 annual c-scetions are done for medical reasons and most of those are for multiple births high blood preasure and other high risk cases

britani

Posted at 8:35 AM on February 1, 2012

Wow! I couldn’t imagin havimg a baby that big. I would be taking other options lol. I couldn’y be as tough as you was to have two babies that was over 10lbs when they was born.

helllokitty2142

Posted at 8:09 PM on January 31, 2012

wow!

Lola

Posted at 5:00 PM on January 31, 2012

her vagina will never be the same…

Alison

Posted at 3:18 PM on January 31, 2012

Honestly, I understand the majority of the public is going to be concerned with the obese factor but honestly some people are just naturally on the heavier side. I am not saying that she has been eating nothing but celery and drinking water her entire life but some people can’t help but be on the heavier side no matter what.

The fact that she did this without surgery, like OMGOSH! Wow..more power to her. The ability to give birth to a child that big without surgery is something of great amazement to me. My son weighed 8.2 and just before the 5th try with the vacuum they said if it didn’t work on the next try then I would have to do the surgery option. So to me nearly 14 pounds is amazing to do without surgery.

Alison

Posted at 3:19 PM on January 31, 2012

and one more thing..he is soooooooooo cute! Just look at his little cheeks..so adorable :)

kelly

Posted at 3:05 PM on January 31, 2012

I think that mother should be more concerned that both of her kids could become obese. From what I have seen by looking at the picture the mother looked like she is obese. I dont like how they are applauding this woman for what she did the health concerns are more important than this matter.

Mary

Posted at 9:49 PM on February 1, 2012

The mother being overweight would not cause the baby to be overweight. Additionally, your birth weight has little to do with how large you will be as adult. My son was almost 10 lbs at birth. I’m rather small, and he’s completely average now.

Johnny

Posted at 3:48 AM on February 3, 2012

Okay Kelly. Clearly an ignorant comment by you. I guess you know these individuals and thus could label them obese. Yea right get your facts straight. I think you are jealous of their super cute baby!

JUDI W TREMAIN, RN,CEN,OCN

Posted at 2:12 PM on January 31, 2012

Actually, I know it can happen.My eldest grandson was over
11 pounds at birth; looked like a 6-month-old alongside the