'The Lying Game' Recap: Can You Believe [Spoiler] Is Dead?

Mon, January 30, 2012 11:04pm EST by 36 Comments
Courtesy of ABC Family

Plus, Rebecca reveals her craziest side yet! I hope she never leaves Phoenix.

The Jan. 30 episode of The Lying Game reminded me exactly why I love this show so much: It keeps us guessing week-to-week, but unlike its fellow ABC Family dramas about untrustworthy teenagers, it actually gives us answers. Not only did we learn the identity of the mysterious “snake” man, but we also discovered something unspeakable — there’s a second murderer in town!

In a nutshell, it turns out it was Derek (Ben Elliott) who attacked Sutton (Alexandra Chando) in the backseat of her car, causing it to fall into the lake. But we probably shouldn’t expect him to come clean about who he was working for, because he was found dead at the end of the episode! And since this isn’t Pretty Little Liars, I’m not holding my breath for any mysterious texts from beyond the grave.

And now, here are my burning questions after this week’s episode:

Who killed Derek? If Char (Kirsten Prout) ever decides to reappear on this show, she’s going to have some seriously messed-up emotions to deal with. I know she wasn’t crazy about Derek after he broke up with her, but now that he’s dead, she can kiss any chance of closure goodbye. But seriously, who do you think killed him?!

Is Ethan headed back to jail? It’s a good Ethan (Blair Redford) looks damn good in anything he wears, because I see nothing but orange jumpsuits in his fashion future. The cops think he‘s the one who killed Derek, and something tells me his brother isn’t going to be able to bail him out of his mess. Zing!

Is Emma going to hook up with Thayer? I know it sounds crazy, but I totally saw sparks flying between Emma and Thayer (Christian Alexander) when they were playing video games. And while I may not be an authority on love, I always know what I’m talking about when it comes to video games.

Will Laurel leave Justin for Baz? It looks like Justin “Crazy Eyes” Miller (Randy Wayne) has a little competition on his hands! Laurel (Allie Gonino) made sweet music this week with Baz (Adam Brooks, who also happens to be a member of Allie’s real-life musical trio The Good Mad.) I know Justin’s a babe and all, but honestly, I’d like to see Laurel settle down with someone slightly less psychotic. Slightly.

Is Rebecca going to be a Bridezilla? This week’s episode ended, as it always should, with a twisted Rebecca (Charisma Carpenter) scene — and this time, she went ring shopping! Sure, Alec (Adrian Pasdar) hasn’t exactly popped the question yet, but you’ve got to admire a girl who overlooks unnecessary details like that.

So what are your thoughts on this week’s Lying Game? Who do you think Derek was working for? Are you dying to see crazy Rebecca walk down the aisle with Ted? And will Emma and Thayer ever… you know? See you in the comments section!

— Andy Swift

Follow Andy on Twitter for more Lying Game coverage

Opheilia

Posted at 4:23 PM on April 11, 2012

WELL letst see i trust emma will stick beside ethan. Come on who would leave that hunky bad boy for a little bony punk who surely has been lying to her from day 1. As for Sutton her tricks will soon catch up with her. OH WELL, guess we will see.

parking lot painting

Posted at 12:05 AM on April 10, 2012

Excellent publish, very informative. I wonder why the other specialists of this sector don’t notice this. You must continue your writing. I’m sure, you’ve a great readers’ base already!|What’s Happening i’m new to this, I stumbled upon this I’ve found It absolutely useful and it has aided me out loads. I am hoping to contribute & help other users like its aided me. Great job.

Adrian

Posted at 11:53 PM on February 19, 2012

Posted on Beautiful and psllersionaofy executed photographs! I enjoy black&white style a lot and like the mystic feel of the first photo. Nice job!

onetwo

Posted at 12:27 PM on February 3, 2012

I do believe that Rebecca knows that there are twins, but I think that Alec has no clue that she knows. If Rebecca is really Emma and Suttons mother like everyone assumes, then she must be hiding it, or at least from alec, because in this episode, she said something along the lines of how she wanted kids but it did not work out?

texmax12

Posted at 8:57 AM on February 3, 2012

Bloopers from latest episode:
On the ABCFmily web site,

viewing the online episode, forward to time 8:28.
In the background, she goes to close the locker, but, wait for it, ah she didn’t yet still walks away from the not closed locker. BUSTED!
The bigest question has to do with the broken tail light on Ethan’s Jeep. So forward to the 42:55 mark and you’ll see that both tail light are fine, but wait for it, wait for it, because at the 42:59 mark you see the righ brake light comes on, but the left break light does not. Oh, what a save! So the light was not broken, it was just a bulb that went out. So is that still a GOOF?

texmax12

Posted at 8:07 AM on February 2, 2012

Just of the presses. Official ABC Family press release about upcoming episode 19.
Burbank, CA (February 1, 2012)
“Emma wants to find out what really happened on the reservation but Ethan is avoiding her and Sutton is looking to send her packing for good. Curious about his father’s possible link to Derek’s murder, Thayer starts to doubt Alec’s alibi and begins investigating Rebecca’s past. And, Kristin grows increasingly suspicious that Ted is not telling her the entire story when it comes to Justin’s mom.”

Oh ya, I’m ALL in!

secrets

Posted at 4:17 PM on February 2, 2012

Interesting tidbit about Justin’s mom. I still wonder who Justin’s dad was? I don’t think the Justin storyline is over yet. We still have to find out who called Ted, and why he rushed off. Likely that was the fire. But who set the fire?

Persiancat

Posted at 1:27 AM on February 2, 2012

I feel like there are a lot of holes in the story lines and so far the show has not really given an explanation for any of them. One thing i never figured out was how did Emma’s evil foster brother, Travis, found out that she had a twin sister and how did he know where to find her? If Annie Hobbs is not the birth mother, why did she call Alec afte Sutton’s visit and questioned him about Emma. Annie was upset because Alec had told her that Emma had died in the fire. How did Annie Hobbs know where to find Emma after she was adopted, and if Alec knew Annie had Emma, why didn’t he do anything about it? It seems to me that after they brought Rebecca f/k/a Annie, they have been changing the story lines and now things don’t add up. I am still hoping all this will be explained some day.

texmax12

Posted at 7:39 AM on February 2, 2012

SPOT ON!
Watching other soaps, these questions and inconsistancies won’t get answered. I think a furute story line, maybe in season two, will be the search for the baby broker.

Sherry

Posted at 12:29 AM on February 2, 2012

I think Alec is responsible for Derek’s death, and Alec is the one who was supposed to meet Sutton at the parking lot. That is why Derek was too afraid to say who they were meeting. Rebecca is new to town and never met Derek since by the time she showed up Char and Derek had broken up already. As for the gift box with the note, here is what i am puzzled about. There was a piece of Sutton’s dress in the box, the dress she was wearing when her car went into the lake. So how did anyone get a hold of a piece of that dress and then sent it to Emma? whoever did it knew about Sutton’s lying games and knew the wrapping will be recognized. I also think that either Ted doesn’t know Sutton has a twin, or thinks the twin died in the fire because otherwise the strange behavior changes of his daughter would have made him suspicious and perhaps that is why Alec would go to any lenght to hide the truth. I do hope the show doesn’t ignore the story lines from older episodes like the fact that Emma found a picture of Annie Hobbs with Ted and Alec, and saw a picture of her and Char’s Mom at their house. Annie Hobbs took Emma from the family that had adopted her. How did she know where to find Emma and how did she know the name of the birth mother on the birth certificate? I don’t think the Annie Hobbs story line is over yet.

texmax12

Posted at 7:52 AM on February 2, 2012

Great details! The story lines have holes you can drive a truck through. What zodiak sign are you because you have to be under one that likes all the pieces to fit. Question….Has there been a show so well presented that all the pieces came together? LOST drove me nuts with all their loose ends. DALLAS had more loose ends than complete stories. And the list of shows and movies goes on. I think the writers do it so they can draw on loose ends for possible new story lines. OK, that”s enough over-thinking for me this hour. ENJOY!

secrets

Posted at 4:11 PM on February 2, 2012

Well we know for sure Alex knows. I’m wondering why he didn’t talk openly about the switch to Emma. He must have a reason for wanting her to stay as Sutton. And BTW Alec seems to like Emma but hates the real Sutton for some reason. If you go back to some of the club scenes you can see that.

I’m still surprised that the twins wouldn’t show up together and have Kristen and Ted gasp that there’s two of them. This would make them safer because then Kristen and more people would know incase one of them got kidnapped or something. The twins are making things harder for themselves by pretending there’s only one.

secrets

Posted at 4:15 PM on February 2, 2012

Wouldn’t Alec the bad guy be too obvious? I’m sure there’s a ring of bad guys. I wonder if Alec is the ringmaster or if he’s a puppet too?
If Alec was supposed to meet her then that doesn’t make sense because there could have been another way of arranging that meeting without Derek popping up in the car.
Anyone could have sent the lying game box to Emma. It could have even been Thayer.

BTW When Emma asked Char’s mom about Annie, I think Phylis thought she was talking about Rebecca. Right?

Natasha

Posted at 8:09 AM on February 1, 2012

No! Please don’t make Emma n Thayer get together! Emma n Ethan really love together n u don’t mess with that!! Even if Ethan goes to jail, which i hope not because he didn’t kill Derek, I think they will still be able to be together! if anything let Sutton n Thayer be together, only if Sutton changes her attitude! GOD I LOVE THIS SHOW!!

Alejandra

Posted at 11:38 PM on January 31, 2012

I think Alec should have another guy who used to kill Derek. Thayer and Emma are cute. Ethan Sutton?. She will try to take advantage of this situation. I hope Ethan’s love for Emma is strong.

texmac12

Posted at 7:00 PM on January 31, 2012

And will Emma and Thayer ever… you know?
When I saw the video game sceene, I came away with the impression of two kids enjoying the game, and nothing more. I do not get a since that they were convaying anything on the bump-and-grind theme.

texmac12

Posted at 6:56 PM on January 31, 2012

Who do you think Derek was working for?
Below I posted Theyer. What on earth was I thinking?
Now I’m guessing that Derek’s murder has to do with his failure to deliver Sutton that night. I’m looking over the list of actors appearing in upcoming episodes and I find some that are age appropriate to play the role of, lets call them criminals. We know Thayer said Derek’s juvi list was longer than Ethans. We know Derek had it so bad that he stooped to being Alec’s little B*TCH. So the guy had a boat load of problems. I’m thinking that one of those upcoming actor(s) will be playing the murder. I’m not sure it will link back to the twins lying game though.

secrets

Posted at 8:23 PM on January 31, 2012

Emma’s foster brother might have been the person to meet at the parking lot. He knows there are two of them but he hasn’t done or spoken to Sutton yet, only to Emma.

texmac12

Posted at 8:55 AM on February 1, 2012

Great idea!. But I think his story line has concluded, so it’s not going to happen. I don’t see actor Kenneth Miller playing Trivis Boyle in any upcoming credits through episode 18.

Alexa

Posted at 6:38 PM on January 31, 2012

I think their mother is Rebecca,Thayer is probably protecting his father. When Emma tell Mads she not Sutton Mercer,I wonder how that is going to end.

Jyy

Posted at 11:47 AM on January 31, 2012

I do agree that Thayer is very defensive of his father, which is kind of suspicious. He must know something about Alec that no one else does? Also, at this point I think that Rebecca is the most dangerous, she has something planned, maybe some sort of revange against Alec, cause I don’t believe she will be marrying him for love. It will be interesting to see what happens between Sutton and Ethan since they both left town, and even Emma and Thayer.

secrets

Posted at 5:28 PM on January 31, 2012

I’m sure Thayer(being smart and detective)knows more stuff about his father.

BTW I heard someone say the ending of this season or the season is not going to be good. So I guess it will be disappointing to fans.

texmac12

Posted at 6:48 PM on January 31, 2012

I thought that the final two episodes, 21 and 22, had yet to be shot. I was only guessing that they are waiting to see if there will be an order for a season two.
I’ve seen websites discussing reviews of the show as it starts airing on channel 5 in the U.K.
What do you want to see as this season concludes that would make you satisfied?At this point I’m a sponge for anything as it’s all been wonderful.
Any ideas where a fan of the show can encourage the studio to green light a season two?

secrets

Posted at 8:21 PM on January 31, 2012

I would like them to focus on the father. Even if it turns out not to be Ted. And it would be nice for someone other than Mads to find out that there are twins.

xsexybx

Posted at 9:29 AM on February 1, 2012

I honestly think the show will continue well atleast there’s more to tell they just released a new book to the series which the show stems from. As far as who Derek was working for it def has something to do with alec and Rebecca. I’m hoping Emma and sutton do a switch so Emma can be with Ethan or at least Dan finds the killer quick so Ethan can come back!

texmac12

Posted at 7:28 AM on February 2, 2012

Uncovering Derek’s death will be the major story line for about, ah, three or four episodes? So Ethan and Sutton most likley be exclusive during these weeks. Then we’ll get the final three episodes leading to either THE season ending cliff hanger, or I hope not, the end of the series. I’m ready to absordbe whatever they present.

Sam

Posted at 1:14 AM on January 31, 2012

It was Annie Hobbs…Rebecca never found out if she had returned to the hospital because she ran into kirsten, Annie Hobbs was the only other person who knew it was Derek (other than Alec but he was with Rebecca all night)!

UNLESS Alec was getting in his car to go and kill derek but then couldn’t cus Rebecca was there and so instead sent someone else but that gets way to messy and plus I think he was most concerned about Mads missing..

texmac12

Posted at 5:19 AM on January 31, 2012

I just cannot agree with you on this one. The Annie Hobbs story line is over, and i would bet Annie will only be mentioned in one liners from this point on. The story line has finished.
Even the Justin story line seems to be coming to an end as it served it’s purpose. Laurel is moving on with her band.
And Ryan and Mads seems to have been written only to advance the story line of Emma confessing to Mads that she is not Sutton. But I like all these new story lines. The cat fight coming next week between Emma’s Sutton and Mads, well that’s must see, you know.

Andy Swift

Posted at 7:24 AM on January 31, 2012

I love that we now need to clarify that it’s “Emma’s Sutton.”

Andy Swift

Posted at 7:24 AM on January 31, 2012

Yeah, I was thinking either Annie or Alec. I’m tempted to say Alec, only because Annie seems kind of… weak.

Sam

Posted at 1:13 AM on January 31, 2012

Jen

Posted at 12:59 AM on January 31, 2012

I think thayer did it!

Texmac12

Posted at 4:38 AM on January 31, 2012

I second that thought. I still think Thayer was the one who did the white box with black bow note inside to keep being Sutton, as the box appeared just as he appeared at the Mercer home. We know Thayer knew about Derek’s garage and that he wanted to go with Sutton earlier. We know he has a odd crush on Sutton. And with all the evidence against Alec, he continues to defend his father.
I’m starting to think that Alec is not the bad guy. Yes his means to an end are unacceptable, but he is the one that keeps defending the original lying game of the twins existence.

Andy Swift

Posted at 7:25 AM on January 31, 2012

Whoa, Thayer would be a HUGE twist. 0_0

secrets

Posted at 11:35 PM on January 30, 2012

I hope Alec isn’t really as evil as we all think him to be.
BTW Why does Rebecca want to rush into marrying him? That’s kind off odd.
Derek was dead outside and in real life the cops should be looking at DNA and other things at the scene. Just because Ethan has a record and was there does not mean he couldn’t be cleared of the crime by DNA.
It was definitely Derek in the car but I wonder who was supposed to meet him and Sutton at a parking lot? Who gave Sutton the mark on her forehead?
There seems to be other cops around other than Dan so maybe they are not all corrupted? Dan also seems to have a guilty conscience and may know some things.
BTW I’m sure Thayer could do a better job spying or finding out more about his father and what he’s up to.

I wonder why Ted doesn’t know there are twins but Alec and everyone does?
BTW Who is Justin’s dad? And why don’t Sutton/Emma ever mention a father? I think it’s Ted but still they always talk about a birth bother.

Andy Swift

Posted at 7:25 AM on January 31, 2012

Rebecca wanting to marry Alec is SUPER suspicious. What’s she planning? Either way, I can’t wait to see her as a Bridezilla.