'Pretty Little Liars' Recap: Emily Drops The L-Bomb & Hanna Starts Sexting

Mon, January 30, 2012 9:20pm EST by 30 Comments
Courtesy of ABC Family

Lesbians, ‘love,’ and of course, lies! This week’s episode was clearly brought to you by the letter L.

Kate (Natalie Hall) and her epic back fat returned to Rosewood on the Jan. 30 episode of Pretty Little Liars, and it took about two seconds for Spencer (Troian Bellisario) to put her in her place. But it was Hanna (Ashley Benson) who got sweet revenge when a nudie photo of Kate was sent to everyone in her address book. There’ll be hell to pay next week, so can we all just enjoy it for now?

(Side note: Hanna also decided to come clean with Caleb [Tyler Blackburn] about her mom stealing money last season. Is she out of her mind? I give it two weeks before that comes back to bite her in the hefty hiney.)

And Kate wasn’t the only surprise guest in Rosewood this week; Emily’s mom (Nia Peeples) also stopped by, though her visit got real tense real fast. She took Emily (Shay Mitchell) and Maya (Bianca Lawson) out for dinner, but Maya’s incessant weed jokes — which I found both hilarious and endearing, BTW — didn’t sit well with Mama Fields.

But Maya made up for any meal-time awkwardness by dropping the L-bomb amidst a magic flurry of lights and crystals. Halfway through the scene, I was convinced someone had slipped me some sort of lesbian-flavored hallucinogen. And I was totally fine with that.

Meanwhile, Aria (Lucy Hale) and Holden’s (Shane Coffey) little arrangement got complicated when their fake date accidentally became a real one. And it all began when he remembered her favorite kind of pizza. Am I the only one who thinks she should just forget about Mr. Fitz and go out with Holden? Would it be so terrible if she settled for someone her own age? It’s not like he’s ugly or something!

And is Ezra (Ian Harding) saying “sayonara” to Rosewood? He got a fancy new job offer in Louisiana — and not-so-coincidentally, his recommendation came from Byron (Chad Lowe)!

So what did you think of this week’s PLL? What’s up with Allie’s fake ID? Should Aria ditch Ezra for Holden? And can we officially crown Emily and Maya the greatest couple on TV? See you in the comments!

— Andy Swift

Follow Andy on Twitter for more Pretty Little Liars coverage

sassylsm

Posted at 7:32 AM on February 10, 2012

Yeah if Maya dies i’m definitely not watching anymore :(! It make no sense their perfect together and they love one another so you gotta kill her right SAY WHAT

bobby

Posted at 12:44 AM on February 6, 2012

Why do maya has to die how come they can’t kill off mona, lucas, wren I hope that it is just a rumor and she stay alive.

Heather

Posted at 8:23 PM on February 2, 2012

Nothing matters anymore. Maya is the one who is going to die this season. Her dad let the huge spoiler slip on twitter. Once she dies I am not watching the show anymore. :(

cluedone

Posted at 2:24 PM on February 1, 2012

I like Emily and Maya together. But…we need to see Maya with other characters on the show. Even if as friend, enemy, other. Maybe it would be great to discover her an other way!

megan

Posted at 8:24 AM on February 1, 2012

Idk, but it seems that the Emaya make out scenes are a lot hotter to watch than those with the straight couples in PLL.

sassylsm

Posted at 9:17 PM on January 31, 2012

That was the best episode of Emaya by far OMG I love Emaya

Anna

Posted at 12:53 AM on February 1, 2012

right? ir was amazing! i rewatched the emaya scenes twice :)

Jane

Posted at 10:38 AM on January 31, 2012

I always look forward to your recaps and analysis Andy.

I lol at Maya the entire time dinner. I know some where probably outraged by her behavior but I too thought it was endearing. She’s still young and clearly still upset with Emily’s mother and doesn’t know how to project her feelings in a more productive way. It was going to be a disater from jump. Plus Shay Mitchell’s facial expressions were priceless. I thought all three actresses did a wonderful job in that scene.

I do hope that Maya and Pam will get to clear the air at some point. But I find Maya’s personality refreshing and much needed in Emily’s uptight and rigid life. Maya is good for Emily and vice-versa. They really are a great compliment to one another. Probably more so then any couple on the show and this is coming from a straight woman.

Jen

Posted at 11:34 PM on January 31, 2012

I totally agreement with this comment and I am too straight woman but there relationship seems more genuine and they do compliment on another very well. Maya is young so she is going to do irrational things and this happened to be one of them but the thing I like about her is she is able to admit her wrongs and try to fix them and Emily is mature enough to accept her apology and move on. By the way I loved the recap

peggy

Posted at 6:46 AM on February 1, 2012

I to agree with Jane Maya is young and she just like to say what ever is on her mine.I do hope Pam and her do talk again.Maya is a very sweet person and Emily knows that.Thats why she went back to Maya.What i like about Maya she has always told Emily how she felt about her.I feel that they are the best couple on this show.They are never boreing.all in all this was a very good ep.Iam also a straight woman.

Jema

Posted at 9:21 AM on January 31, 2012

Watched the new episode and its amazing so much love and secrets that shouldnt be kept from the loved ones in the first place !

I cant wait for the next episode 19 i heard The HOT mysterious Jason is Coming to rosewood!

My opinion for Aria “U have two guys to go for the mysterious jason , The cute stud Holdon and the Perfect
man ezra ?” tough huh but as i hope “she goes where the heart leads her !”

Nia

Posted at 12:39 AM on January 31, 2012

Soooooo exicted that emily and maya said our favorite 3 words…I Love you!!! They’re my favorite couple by far.

Selena

Posted at 12:08 AM on January 31, 2012

my mouth has NEVER literally dropped open during a show before but when i heard that byron had recommended ezra it did. i have never been so shocked and angry over a tv show before.

Andy Swift

Posted at 12:30 AM on January 31, 2012

I think Ezra was pretty shocked too, especially after Aria told him her parents were “warming up” to the idea of them being together. CAUGHT OUT!

Mikenzi

Posted at 10:20 PM on January 30, 2012

I think ezra shouldnt leave! And that byron should shut up about him and get over it at least ezra wasnt having an affair! And kate should not stay in rosewood! Holden had an aweful bruse on the left side of his hip and so did A when he was hit by hannah….. Its time we put 2 & 2 together! And garretchas beencreplaced to so its time he moves on!

Mikenzi

Posted at 10:24 PM on January 30, 2012

I meen the right side not the left lol(:

Andy Swift

Posted at 11:11 PM on January 30, 2012

You don’t want Kate around? But she’s so much fun! ;)

As for Ezra, he may not have been having an affair, but he is sleeping with a former student… an underage one at that.

Ahem

Posted at 6:39 AM on January 31, 2012

Aria is not underage. At 16 you’re completely legal to be in a relationship with an ‘older’ guy!

For An Angel

Posted at 4:11 PM on January 31, 2012

Not necessarily. It depends on the state.

Aeri

Posted at 6:52 PM on January 31, 2012

May I just say that’s he’s not sleeping with her. Also, I think Byron is a total idiot. Yes, I can understand him being mad, but he did the same thing only ten times worse.

Jen

Posted at 11:45 PM on January 31, 2012

Aria and Ezra relationship just is not that interesting… She is 16 and he has got to be at least 22… Six years is not a lot but where they are in life just does not correspond with one another your a junior in high school and he is your teacher. The whole ideal is not appealing to me at all. Plus they bore me

bbheart

Posted at 10:17 PM on January 30, 2012

hoping emily would find that what she really like is a real man, hmmp i dont like ezra for aria, hmp sory

Mikenzi

Posted at 10:22 PM on January 30, 2012

I love aria and ezra!! How could u not?

Mikenzi

Posted at 10:23 PM on January 30, 2012

I love aria and ezra!! How could u not? They are great(: and kate hates hannah and spencer…. She could have somethinvto do with it.

Andy Swift

Posted at 11:11 PM on January 30, 2012

I’m not crazy about “Ezria” anymore. They’ve gotten boring and, you know, there’s the whole illegal aspect.

Angel

Posted at 10:11 PM on January 30, 2012

I don’t know what Holden is doing, but from that bruise I have suspicions that maybe he’s the person Hanna hit with her car that night. I mean, at this point anyone could be A. Even Holden.

Andy Swift

Posted at 10:14 PM on January 30, 2012

How did I not put 2 and 2 together?! That bruise is totally from when Hanna hit him with her car!

Aeri

Posted at 6:54 PM on January 31, 2012

Hanna hit A on their left side. Holden’s bruise was on his right side. What if Holden is getting abused at home and is going out with Aria to get away from his parents?

Ashleigh

Posted at 9:40 PM on January 30, 2012

OMG EMAYA IS PERFECT

i hope they dont break up… again

Andy Swift

Posted at 11:11 PM on January 30, 2012

I think they’ll be together for a while.

…Hopefully.