'Once Upon A Time' Recap: The Queen Commits Murder — Again

Sun, January 29, 2012 9:15pm EST by 10 Comments
Courtesy of ABC

Plus, could the mysterious new stranger in Storybrooke have the power to change the ‘Once Upon A Time’ story?

We learned a lot about Regina (Lana Parrilla) and her wicked fairy tale counterpart on the Jan. 29 episode of Once Upon A Time – and now I can’t decide which of her two sides I hate more. The once-good queen pretended to fall in love with a genie (Giancarlo Esposito), so that he would help her kill her husband. So, as it turns out, she was never really “good.”

When she revealed she’d been using him all along, the genie used his one wish — it’s a long story, so don’t ask — to be with the queen forever, always looking upon her face. And that, my friends, is how the genie with the horrendous mustache became the Magic Mirror.

(Side note: I’m actually relieved the queen was only pretending to be in love with genie. The whole time they were together, I was like, “Girl, are you serious? You can’t be serious. Oh, OK, you’re not serious. Good.”)

Back in Storybrooke, Emma (Jennifer Morrison) looked into Regina’s secret shenanigans with a little help from her own personal “Deep Throat,” Sidney Glass — who also happens to be the real-world counterpart of the aforementioned genie. It looks like Regina’s having a new playground built in town, which is suspiciously based on a design she saw in the Once Upon A Time book. Suspicious!

Meanwhile, David (Josh Dallas) and Mary Margaret (Ginnifer Goodwin) carried on their adorable love affair — emphasis on “affair.” I think Emma put it best when she said, “You two are doing a whole lot of rationalizing.”

We also learned a little bit about the mysterious stranger who just arrived in Storybrooke — and I do mean a little. All we gathered from his conversation with Henry (Jared Gilmore) is that he’s a “writer,” which we kind of already figured out when Emma discovered his typewriter.

Of course, we also caught him perusing Henry’s Once Upon A Time book. Also suspicious! So let the speculation continue…

So what did you think of this week’s episode? Are you still rooting for David and Mary Margaret to be together? Do you have any new theories about the mysterious stranger in town? And why do you think Regina is REALLY building that playground? See you in the comments!

— Andy Swift

Follow Andy on Twitter for more Once Upon A Time updates

I have no idea

Posted at 5:52 AM on January 30, 2012

I love Rumpel to death!!! What does he have up his sleeve? He seems to be on Emma’s side (especially how disappointed he looked after Emma chose not to follow his warning to “leave it alone,” and how he offered to be her ally again.)

Does any one else adore the little comments he makes? After Emma rejected his help (again) he said “Well, one could always wish…”

Andy Swift

Posted at 7:55 AM on January 30, 2012

I feel like Rumpel is always on his own side, but it definitely seems like he can use Emma to get what he wants >:)

As for his little side comments, they’re some of the many reasons I love that weirdo.

bitchstolemyremote

Posted at 12:42 AM on January 30, 2012

Hopefully she’s hiding something unexpected because this episode was filled to the brim with Captain Obvious levels of predictable-ness. Not only are the writers routinely taking the easy way out with their twists and Fairytale revisions (though making the genie the mirror was quite good), most problematically they’ve turned Emma into the stupidest protagonist on television. Like “The Killing” levels of stupid…

Check out our recap/rant and tell us if you agree/disagree: http://wp.me/p1VQBq-nh

PDWallace

Posted at 2:52 PM on January 30, 2012

@bitchstolemyremote: the recap/rant was dead on!…it put into words exactly what I’ve been thinking…its as if there are 2 teams of writers….1 team that gets the concept of what the show should be and what the audience is watching the show for…..and a 2nd team that fills in every few scripts……They are taking the Emma charactor from a strong confident female and slowly making her into a dimwhit…….The ‘new’ mystery charactor seems to be an after thought as it seems the writers are ‘stuck’ with what to do with his storyline so they aren’t doing much……the show still has potential, the cast is proven it is capable of doing their part……….hopefully the writers can prove they are too…………..

Kayla

Posted at 11:38 PM on January 29, 2012

Man, I hate waiting for the next episode!

Andy Swift

Posted at 11:50 PM on January 29, 2012

Me too!

Eric

Posted at 10:14 PM on January 29, 2012

I think the stranger could be a Grimm.

Andy Swift

Posted at 10:30 PM on January 29, 2012

I hope you mean one of the Grimm brothers and NOT, somehow, a character from the NBC series.

That said, I could totally see the season ending with him revealing his last name, and it being Grimm. Good theory!

Tahleen

Posted at 9:37 PM on January 29, 2012

This stranger guy has got to be one of the fairy tale writers. Or something. I can’t think of any other writers in fairy tales off the top of my head. The only storyteller I can think of is Sheherazade and this guy does not look like a lady.

Andy Swift

Posted at 9:51 PM on January 29, 2012

“The only storyteller I can think of is Sheherazade and this guy does not look like a lady.”

Bahaha, that he doesn’t.

Now I’m really curious about the “playground” Regina is building. I’m wondering if there’s something underneath it she’s trying to cover up. (Like what was under the mine shaft.)