Teens Afraid To Get Pregnant Because of 'Teen Mom'

Sat, January 28, 2012 12:11pm EDT by 11 Comments

Teens have seen the stars of MTV’s ‘Teen Mom’ struggle with diapers, paying rent and more, and now teen pregnancy is on the decline!

According to the South Carolina Campaign to Prevent Teen Pregnancy, the state has seen a decline in teen birth rates for the THIRD year in a row. And it seems that shows like Teen Mom might have contributed to this positive outcome!

The Department of Health and Environmental Control did a study showing a teen birth rate of 42.6 per 1000 for teens between the ages of 15 to 19, with a 13% decline since 2009-2010.

Experts say the fact that teen pregnancy is now a topic heavily depicted in the media and exposed to teens is one reason why teen parenting is on the decline.

On Teen Mom viewers watch the cast struggle with major family, relationship, school and work drama, all while raising their kids. While some critics say the show glamourizes being a teenage mom, a lot of the problems the young mothers have faced seem to say otherwise.

For example: Amber Portwood was charged with felony for domestic battery  and went to jail for violating her probation terms. Jenelle Evans has her own legal woes, too. Both went to jail and neither has custody of their child. Meanwhile, Jenelle’s co-star Leah Messer recently suffered a miscarriage and is trying to cope while raising her 2-year-old twins.

Being a teen parent isn’t easy! What do you guys think?

-Milly Contreras

More Teen Mom News:

1. Leah Messer’s Devastating News: She Suffered A Miscarriage
  2. ‘Teen Mom’ Leah Messer Enters Her Twins Into A Beauty Pageant
  3. ‘Teen Mom’ Amber Portwood Is Homeless

Raleigh Simek

Posted at 12:44 PM on November 14, 2013

I felt guilty when I experienced a miscarriage as I felt that I could have done something to prevent losing my baby. However, I later managed to move on as I discovered that mostly miscarriages happen due to fetal abnormalities or else internal problems which can not be prevented. I also found out that miscarriages are normal occurrences in women only that most of them experience them even before knowing they were pregnant. The implantation process is not always perfect and at times it takes the woman body a number of tries to get it accurate.

alyssa

Posted at 2:27 PM on February 27, 2012

I’m a mom of 2 I had my 3 year old son when I was 17 and just 7 months ago I had my daughter. It really is hard those girls have their nails done highlights in their hair and wear pretty nice looking clothes. I don’t even have time to wear make up now I look nothing like I did before kids and I don’t have people to help watch kids if I need to even just run to the store I have to get everything and them together. They have cars money support from family and friends this is supposed to be a reality show where is the real reality?

Jessika

Posted at 12:37 AM on February 16, 2012

I was/am a teen mom also, I was 16 when I had my child, as others have said they need to get real girls who actually live in the real world, not anything against the teen moms but reality is not like the show, bottom line. Most of the girls on the show were fortunate to have somewhat wealthy parents.

helllokitty2142

Posted at 8:18 PM on January 31, 2012

i only watch it cuz its alot of drama, and i already know i dont wanna get pregnant at a young age

Nadia

Posted at 11:26 AM on January 31, 2012

I watch teen mom with my 16 yr old daughter. She gets the point and is not ready to have sex and does not want any kids untill shes a grown women whos acomplished a lot,but i did let her know this isnt really reality, all these girls have everything handed to them from their parents ‘excemption Kala.’ These girls are not the proper example of a teen mom. I was a teen mom at 15 and it was not a bed of roses as these girls have. I had no one to help me my mother kicked me out at 13 for her new husband and i strugled a lot with my child alone. I had to get a job and take care of my child alone.This show needs to go to the projects,homeless shelters,the welfare office even the streets to find true teen moms strugling. Now thats reailty.

Selena

Posted at 5:52 PM on January 31, 2012

you are so true sorry you had to go through they need to stop calling these girls stars fro being on a show the signed up for

amber

Posted at 1:20 AM on January 31, 2012

i think that 16 & pregant,teen mom & teen mom 2.. Shows how it takeas t be teen parent. Jenelle i hate her.leah she is a great mom.chelsea she is doin great too. & kail is doin even better. Its just tellin you to not have sex before mearige. I got pregant at 17 & my daughter is now 7 & im 25 and i had my 2ed one at age 22 yes i love my childreb to death but, that doesnt mean for teenagers to follow their footsteps

me

Posted at 8:28 PM on January 30, 2012

yea if u watch the show they don’t have any struggles, when i was a teen mom years ago, i couldn’t get my hair or nails done or buy designer clothes or have my parents raise my son, i did it on my own, and he always came first, and yea we struggled, nothing like this people do, becasue to me it isn’t a real struggle and becasue i didn’t have that kind of money to throw away on myself…they need to grow up and not get pregnant again…for years on down the road.

JJ

Posted at 8:03 PM on January 30, 2012

Bullsh!t. This show glamorizes almost everything about these teenies who can’t keep their legs closed. Jenelle is a walking/talking trainwreck and the attention this show has given her dig herself into a f*cking hole (and she thinks it actually “cool), Chelsea is so far from a mature, independent “mother”, it’s ridiculous. Her daddy takes care of all of her bills and she hasn’t the first clue on how to take care of herself. Leah (sorry about the miscarriage) but to be pregnant again at 19??? Have you learned NOTHING??? Kailyn is about the only one who seems to take her responsibility seriously. This show depicts the worst of this generation.

Stacey

Posted at 5:15 PM on January 28, 2012

I think the show makes teens want to get pregnant so they can be on tv and be on mag. covers and make a lot of money. I know about 10 young teen girls hoping they do another season of 16 and pregnant because they want to be famous and have thousands of people know who they are and have “fans” on facebook or twitter. Yeah I know the show shows them struggling but it’s not really about the true struggles because they film whats good on tv but do they show when the get that big check that ordinary teen moms don’t get or they don’t show when they fly across the country so they can walk the red carpet or do other celebrity things, I mean a lot of us teen mom’s haven’t even been out of the freakin state compare to across the country. I personally don’t watch the show because to me it’s scripted and not reality, true reality is when camera’s and a big fat check is not part of the show!

rebecca

Posted at 1:38 PM on January 28, 2012

lmfao..mtv glamorizes teen pregnancy.teen girls are probally getting knocked up just to be on the next season of 16 and pregnant.they dont even seem that bad,the stuff they have to go through.mtv pays them to good for them to be struggling.it not my fault they buy boobs and dont save for there childs furture…lmfao thats a joke.