Soap Star Commits Suicide After Euthanizing His Healthy Pit Bull

Sat, January 28, 2012 11:36am EDT by 34 Comments

Soap star Nick Santino took his own life after he felt pressure to put down his dog and best friend from the building he lived in. How horrible.

This is a terrible story. Soap star Nick Santino‘s Upper West Side condo building management reportedly put a ban on pit bulls and began to harass the actor about his pit bull-mix, Rocco, so much that he felt the need to put the healthy dog to sleep. Feeling guilty about his decision, the 47-year-old actor took his own life the same day, reports the New York Post.

“Today I betrayed my best friend and put down my best friend,” Nick wrote in a suicide note, said his friend Stuart Sarnoff. “Rocco trusted me and I failed him. He didn’t deserve this.”

Rocco was a rescue, who Nick — an actor on All My Children and Guiding Light — credited for actually “rescuing” him.

Unfortunately, the building management and tenants started complaining about Rocco, saying he barked and much more. The tormenting got so bad, Nick irrationally decided to take the dog’s life. However, it made him feel horrible.

“He was distraught and remorseful about putting down his best friend,” Kevan Cleary said.

Butter777

Posted at 6:08 PM on January 30, 2012

Is this a joke?!?!

steve

Posted at 8:57 AM on January 30, 2012

What is the name of the buliding management company?

jhooon

Posted at 2:13 AM on January 30, 2012

My best friend ,she just has announced her wedding with a millinaire manRonald who is the

CEO of a MNC !they met S`u`c`c`e`s`s`f`u`l`m`i`n`g`l`e..C0M it is the largest and best club

for wealthy people and their admirers to chat online. …you don’t have to be rich there

,but you can meet one , It’s worthy a try. You do not have to be rich or famous !——-but

you can mee one, the most important is you can find yourtrue l-o-v-e! right?

Jamie Cason-VanLuven

Posted at 12:03 AM on January 30, 2012

Who did he play on All My Children????

Johnny

Posted at 5:57 PM on January 29, 2012

As a former NYer, I can honestly say the people who live in Manhattan are the biggest bunch of donkey crevices on earth.

renee

Posted at 5:40 PM on January 29, 2012

Its easy to look at this situation and judge, but I just know that no matter how illogical it sounds that Nick was just too overwhelmed by it all and it caused death in what were 2 perfectly fine living creatures. This is real sad and New Yorkers as a whole just tend to lack sensitivity so I can see how living in New York made it worse for him when he is someone who was more tender hearted, both him and his dog are just gone too soon :'(

gbtw

Posted at 2:04 PM on January 30, 2012

umm- excuse me, but ny’ers do not lack sensitivity. there are too many people encountered every day to hug everyone on the street, that does NOT mean they lack sensitivity. they are exposed to more than most people, and as such, many of them are able to be more empathetic than people who live more sheltered lives. so, stop making absurd and misinformed generalizations. for the record, i didn’t grow up there, and don’t live there now, but i did- for a long time. this guy had issues, and he couldn’t take it anymore. it’s not ny’s fault, nor his neighbor’s.

Ellie

Posted at 1:43 PM on January 29, 2012

My question is, why didn’t the pound think twice before euthanizing the dog? If Rocco was healthy, they would have stopped and thought for a minute. But I guess they were just being greedy, selfish pigs, scrambling to get as much money as possible… A shame.

Homer

Posted at 6:32 AM on January 29, 2012

So he put the dog down because he was too stupid to find another place to live

Mark

Posted at 12:12 PM on January 29, 2012

U r correct sir!

gbtw

Posted at 2:06 PM on January 30, 2012

i wouldn’t say stupid, but maybe too overwhelmed by life? obviously he knew it was stupid, and that pushed him over whatever edge he was teetering on.

addie

Posted at 11:01 AM on October 15, 2012

You are rational….he wasn’t

large

Posted at 11:16 PM on January 28, 2012

i wonder who got his money

Rob G

Posted at 10:24 PM on January 28, 2012

So sad, in the middle of a depression crisis. Tragedy compounded.

magy

Posted at 6:58 PM on January 28, 2012

my friend’s mom made $9,238 last month. she works on the internet and bought a $379,000 house. All she did was get lucky and follow the information you can find here…MakeCash2.₡om

Marisa

Posted at 5:31 PM on January 28, 2012

What kind of a vet puts down a healthy animal??

Me

Posted at 5:14 PM on January 28, 2012

Didn’t they cancel his show? I think he was stressed out about more then putting his dog down.

Razrblazr

Posted at 4:59 PM on January 28, 2012

this might not be as sane an idea as euthanasia and suicide…but … moving maybe? Moving to another apartment? I think they have then in New York City.

RIP both…but honestly…what?

anna

Posted at 4:48 PM on January 28, 2012

so sad! And poor dog :( RIP

Bre

Posted at 4:03 PM on January 28, 2012

BYE! I feel more love for the Dog then the man POOR DOG HE DIDN’T Deserve that…the guy was actually a idiot i think he could have just moved out and lived somewhere else then there…what a idiot i dont think he thought that one through…….sadly

Shelley Lynn

Posted at 1:14 AM on January 29, 2012

How sad that more people seem to feel sorry for the dog than this man -who obviously was depressed. I doubt that the putting down of the dog is the whole reason this poor guy committed suicide. But respect for human life as been set aside for the love of an animal that is loyal to anyone who gives them food. This man may have had a mother, brothers and sisters or even kids who will suffer so much because of losing him. That is the real tragedy.

J

Posted at 12:14 PM on January 29, 2012

Guy was on drugs. The end.

Sarah

Posted at 11:13 PM on January 30, 2012

I am truly sorry that this person felt the need to take both his life and his dog’s. But your comment that a dog is only loyal because you give them food is nonsense. I know that because I adopted my pitbull mix from the pound and he was very sick. He didn’t listen or want to play or anything until I took him to the vet and got him the care he needed to live. Since then he is the complete opposite. He’s happy, he plays with me and is always excited to see new people and learn new tricks.

Sara

Posted at 3:42 PM on January 28, 2012

Rest in peace

lola

Posted at 2:44 PM on January 28, 2012

there had to be more to the story than the tenant building being mean. You don’t put down a healthy dog, you find another home for the animal. It reminds me of parents who kill their kids along with killing themselves because they think it will be “best” for the child.

christa

Posted at 2:38 PM on January 28, 2012

a total waste of a human and his best friend

christa

Posted at 2:39 PM on January 28, 2012

RIP

JD

Posted at 1:34 PM on January 28, 2012

He obviously had mental problems if he put down a healthy dog. Something else was going on.

Woody McBreairty

Posted at 12:37 PM on January 28, 2012

It IS a sad story, but I wonder if Nick may have had some mental problems. Why did he not move? Could he have Rucco stay with a friend or in a boarding home until he could get things in order? Did his soap star have noone he could turn to for a little friendly & loving guidance instead of committing this double act of needless death? Sad as it is, and as touching as this picture is, there are so many questions that make the situation seem unreasonable, wihtout more details of how long this whole incident took and how much more substance there is to the whole story. Sad & touching in any case

Mandy G.

Posted at 12:05 PM on January 28, 2012

What a horrible story. RIP to both Nick and his dog :(

Karen

Posted at 7:18 PM on January 28, 2012

…and let’s not forget that depression is a form of mental illness. In this state of mind people generally don’t make good decisions.
Depressed people can’t see the light at the end of the tunnel, which is why some commit suicide.

Leanne

Posted at 10:18 PM on January 31, 2012

Some of you make it sound like moving is the easy way out. I lost my home and am staying in my Moms Office ATM. Biggest reason I am not on my own is I have a dog. Look around and try to find a rental that accepts Pit Bulls.

yelladog4

Posted at 9:33 AM on January 9, 2013

good comments

Chris

Posted at 11:08 PM on January 7, 2013

True that. Most places, aside from projects, won’t rent to anyone with a German Shepard, Rottweiler, Doberman, and definitely not pits. If you have those dogs and do manage to find a rental, then I guarantee you won’t get any renters insurance with these breeds. I own a Rottweiler and live in an rv park at the moment because of this issue.