Doctors Speak Out On How Madonna Badger Can Recover From Her Terrible Tragedy

Thu, January 26, 2012 7:40pm EDT by 17 Comments
Madonna Badger Suicide

Overcome by grief over the loss of her three young daughters in a tragic fire, Madonna attempted suicide — and experts tell HollyBaby.com exclusively how she can get the help and strength she needs to heal.

A heartbroken Madonna Badger, 47,  bravely made it through the funeral of her three young daughters and parents, who she lost in a Christmas Day fire, but in the weeks following she tried to take her life after clearly not being able to handle the extreme emotional pain. She’s now been released from the hospital, and experts that HollywoodLife.com consulted suggest how she can begin to cope with such a devastating loss.

The experts we spoke to say that while in the hospital Madonna would have been under constant supervision, been given mood stabilizers and kept from anything that she could use to harm herself. “She would have been getting psychotherapy or intervention — doctors would have been speaking with her, helping her identify” why she tried to take her own life, explained psychologist Jeff Gardere, Associate Professor at Touro College in Osteopathic Medicine.

“She is drowning in an avalanche of sadness, guilt and pain,” says psychiatrist Dr. Carole Lieberman, author of Bad Girls: Why Men Love Them & How Good Girls Can Learn Their Secrets.

“She undoubtedly is in the mindset of ‘if only,'” says psychotherapist Dr. Gilda Carle, author of How To Win At Love. “If only I had done this, done that… then this would not have happened. You know you just can’t do that to yourself. That will only make you more upset.”

Now that she’s out of the hospital, Madonna can take these steps towards recovery:

•  Turn to family and friends. “Even when she comes off suicide watch, she needs family and friends, who can be with her, listen to her, keep her company and speak to her,” advises Dr. Gardere. “She shouldn’t be alone for the next several months, for the minimum.”
  • But don’t depend on boyfriend, Michael Borcino. “She probably should start by ditching her boyfriend,” suggests Dr. Lieberman. “Though it is unlikely that he purposely started the fire, he certainly isn’t someone she can lean on. And she will always blame him for the fire. What will help — in addition to ongoing psychiatric treatment — may be turning to God and her religion, throwing herself into her work, doing volunteer work — perhaps with children, considering being a foster parent or adopting children, if she cannot become a parent again herself biologically.”
  • Know it will take time. “You never get over the loss of children,” says psychotherapist Dr. Jenn Berman, author of A to Z: Guide to Raising Happy, Confident Kids. “It defies the natural order of life where parents are not supposed to outlive their children. It’s going to take a lot of therapy, and a lot of time” to get over this.
  • Don’t place blame on anyone. “Just accept that this happened, this just happened,” says Dr. Carle. “This is one of those situations where no one can even begin to fathom that kind of loss, that kind of tragedy, unless its happened to you,” says Dr. Gardere.

We hope Madonna will be able to somehow get through this very tragic time!

-Reporting by Emily Morgan and Kaitlyn Monteiro, Written by Anna Moeslein

More Madonna Badger news:

1. Devastated Madonna Badger Attempts Suicide After Tragic Fire Killed Her Daughters
  2. Madonna Badger Desperately Battled Firefighters To Get Back Into Burning House To Save Babies
  3. Madonna Badger’s Heartbreaking Eulogy: ‘My Girls Are In My Heart’

CJ

Posted at 12:17 AM on March 31, 2012

i feel bad for this accident but really? people try to die and kill themselves everyday and we’re worrying about her? what about watching your family burn or be murdered? this happens and we’re worrying about celebrity that already has people to be there and care for her while everyone ese struggles with lonliness.

Daniella

Posted at 12:45 AM on February 5, 2012

This is one of the saddest stories I have ever heard, it has haunted me for a month…I wish it were fiction because it’s unfathomable that something this horrible could happen. If I lost my children I would need my mother and or father to lean on..But she lost them too…If I lost my parents I would try to focus my love and my attention on my children to help cope with the pain…But this 47 yr old woman lost everything! Including her home..She was in the midst of a divorce and her boyfriend-lover who I’m sure she wishes she could lean on was the one who started the fire not purposely of course…but still…She could NEVER be with him now, I couldn’t I would have deep seeded resentment, no matter how hard I tried not to…So she has to deal with this all alone with some friends who will try to comfort her, some doctors and maybe a few family members who will do their best…But this woman has to live with trauma.. memories of that Christmas morning fire and memories of her family burning to death as she watched, those friends weren’t there. My God I hope she can live through this! I don’t blame her at all for trying to take her life..The pain has to be absolutely excruciating! It hurts me to even write this..What I would give to take some of her pain away. This story will haunt me forever.

Alexxeah

Posted at 2:44 AM on February 2, 2012

What’s even worse is that she’s 47 — not what you’d consider young enough to have more kids to bring some meaning back to her life.

I’m also irked by the obvious book-plugging of this article. Couldn’t the writers find “experts” who didn’t have a book to plug, especially books unrelated to this topic ???? Geez.

Cherry

Posted at 8:12 PM on February 1, 2012

I hate to say it but she will never get over this. I am so sorry for her!

CJ

Posted at 1:26 PM on February 1, 2012

She actually CAN get through this. A young guy in our church lost his 3 children, wife, and mother in law in a horrible car accident many years ago. His whole family GONE. I remember him being in complete shock for awhile. BUT his strong faith, family and friends are what helped him. He now leads a grief support group, married again, and was young enough to have another child. It will take a very long time just to be able to function from day to day, but she can get through this, and hopefully find meaning again in her life. Peace and comfort to Madonna and Matthew.

mlewis

Posted at 8:57 AM on February 1, 2012

This woman will never recover from this tragedy. It ain’t going to happen. She may become functional, but never ever be the same again.

Cherry

Posted at 8:15 PM on February 1, 2012

I agree and I’m so sorry!

Cat

Posted at 1:49 PM on January 28, 2012

I wish Madonna peace from the agonizing, searing heartbreak she is feeling whether she chooses life or death. What she is going through is agonizingly unbearable. I just wish her peace.

Cherry

Posted at 8:15 PM on February 1, 2012

Nice posting.

jen

Posted at 8:13 PM on January 26, 2012

My heart goes to the father of the girls, Matthew Badger. He needs all the support Madonna is getting too, and then some.
Imagine his grief. I am tired of only hearing about Madonna’s grief.

Michelle

Posted at 2:10 AM on January 27, 2012

Her parents died too. her husband didn’t have that to deal with.

Cherry

Posted at 8:18 PM on February 1, 2012

I don’t know why you’re tired of it. And…as Michelle pointed out, she also lost her parents. She lost her home too. I’m sorry for both of them, but her loss was the greater.

Anna

Posted at 5:16 PM on January 26, 2012

I don’t blame her one bit. I don’t think I could ever cope with such a loss and I don’t know how anyone would really even want to. To lose all three children!! So, so heartbreaking! She probably feels she has no reason to go on..

Hypnogal

Posted at 3:54 PM on January 26, 2012

You never get over the loss of ANYONE.

She also lost both parents in the fire.

Shelly

Posted at 3:50 PM on January 26, 2012

My heart goes out to this woman, it truly does. I could not imagine the pain she’s feeling. I know it will take time and I pray God will give her the strength and peace she truly need in order to heal her spirit.

lynn

Posted at 3:43 PM on January 26, 2012

It’s really sad bt they say things ha

Cherry