'American Idol' Recap: Bipolar Teen Wants To Be Known For More Than Disorder

Thu, January 26, 2012 2:56am EST by 10 Comments
American Idol Auditions
Loading video...

Watch this 17-year-old girl’s audition and tell us if you think she’ll get beyond Hollywood week!

We have to admit, season 11 American Idol auditions in Aspen, Colorado Jan. 25 left a lot to be desired. However, there were a couple people who caught our eye — including 17-year-old Shelby Tweten from Minnesota, who suffers from bipolar disorder.

The beautiful teen was diagnosed last year and her one outlet is singing. For her audition, she belted out “Temporary Home” by Carrie Underwood and the judges ate it up.

“You feel this as a singer,” Randy Jackson raved. “I think everyone knows, big yes,” Jennifer Lopez, who seemed truly touched.

It wasn’t the best audition we’ve ever seen, but Shelby definitely has a great voice. Do you think she’ll make it past Hollywood week to tell her story?

More ‘American Idol’ News

1. Ryan Seacrest Being Replaced By Neil Patrick Harris On ‘American Idol’?
  2. Will Ryan Seacrest Be Fired From ‘American Idol?’
  3. Scotty McCreery Is Youngest Guy To Ever Debut At The Top Of The All-Genre Charts With His First Album!

film indonesia wajib tonton

Posted at 10:43 AM on September 1, 2014

ciamik banget desain web nya, enteng bos.., boleh tau pake theme apa..?

Duncan

Posted at 10:01 AM on February 24, 2012

My family and I have been watching idol for years but, after Lauren gray got voted off and some of the people that they let through,they lost us as fans! Looks like there turning in to the X-Factor!

Karen Seng

Posted at 2:10 PM on January 28, 2012

What a great story of hope. I hope others will find inspiration from her story. I did!

Bob

Posted at 2:45 PM on January 27, 2012

Some of the smartest people I know are a She BP. Once a person acknowledges that they are a BP they are on the right track to a much improved life. NAMI.ORG is a great organization for support. Shelby will make past Hollywood.

Tara Napolitano

Posted at 1:06 PM on January 27, 2012

I am so proud to be part of NAMI, this organization is helping me to help my loved one who suffers also from mental illness. I wish this young lady all the love and happiness she deserves…she is a miracle. GOD BLESS

almarose69

Posted at 11:41 AM on January 27, 2012

I pray with all my heart she makes it, my daughter has bipolar disorder too. God bless her and give her strength to do it till the finish :)

Andy Swift

Posted at 9:09 AM on January 26, 2012

If she makes it through, I expect very different performances from her week to week.

macie

Posted at 8:34 AM on January 26, 2012

If she’s taking her meds, she might! If she’s not and she gets rejected, it won’t be pretty.

Ummie jalie

Posted at 6:36 AM on January 26, 2012

She wil

Meg

Posted at 1:09 PM on February 8, 2012

If she’s taking her medication, she can function just like anyone without the illness. She won’t have wild swings from week to week–she will be even. A person can live a normal life even with a serious illness like bipolar if he or she has the right medication and good therapy. Good for her! She’s inspiring.