'Pretty Little Liars' Scoop: Bianca Lawson Reveals Emily & Maya's 'Biggest Hurdle' Yet

Tue, January 24, 2012 2:37pm EDT by 26 Comments
Courtesy of ABC Family

Plus, Bianca tells HollywoodLife.com all about the ‘delicious’ Maya/Paige showdown we’ll (sadly) never get to see!

I’ve got some good news and some bad news for fans of Emily (Shay Mitchell) and Maya (Bianca Lawson) on Pretty Little Liars. For starters, “there will be some hurdles” coming up for Rosewood’s lesbian power couple, and they will be a whole lot worse than the mystery man Maya hooked up with while she was out of town. “There are other things, independent of that situation, that will come in and create tension,” Bianca hints to HollywoodLife.com. “That’s not going to be their biggest hurdle.”

And now for the good news: Bianca assures me that the aforementioned hurdles actually “strengthen and deepen their relationship. It’s like a lot of relationships: It grows and sprouts and is amazing, but nothing can stay the same forever. There will be challenges.”

So could one of those “challenges” be a plucky little redhead named Paige (Lindsey Shaw)?

“In one of the episodes I shot, there was supposed to be a Maya/Paige confrontation,” Bianca reveals. “It was so deliciously written, and I was so excited to meet and work with Lindsey. But then something came up — I think it was just a scheduling conflict — and it never got to happen. So that had to be sort of rewritten and changed.”

Are you as bummed as I am? I was really hoping for a cat fight this season!

Read on for more of my interview with Bianca Lawson…

Are you fully aware of all the ‘Emaya’ fans out there?

“Yes! They’re amazing. They’re super enthusiastic and supportive and I love them.”

Do you know about their slogan, ‘I perve for Emaya?’

[Laughs.] “I love it! No, I’ve never heard that before. That’s awesome. Hilarious.”

They’re pretty vocal on Twitter. Any chance you’ll be joining yourself?

“This comes up a lot, actually. People always ask me. My own dad has Twitter! I never say never, for sure, but I honestly think I’m incredibly boring. It feels like a really big commitment, and I’ve also seen several people get in trouble on there. I’d take it seriously, it wouldn’t be a haphazard thing. I’ve always sort of kept my head down and did my thing — but maybe one day.”

What do you love about getting to play one-half of Emaya?

“I think it’s handled so beautifully and so sensitively. It’s so great getting to portray a very deep, visceral love like that. I mean, I’d like a love like that! And love playing Maya. She’s impulsive, she’s fearless, she loves deeply, and she fully jumps in head-first into everything. There’s a freedom, and even kind of a recklessness, to her as she’s evolving. As the series goes on, we’re peeling beneath the layers, especially now that she’s back from the ‘camp.’ A lot of times with the sexuality thing on TV, it could be portrayed in a way that’s more for shock and ratings and to be salacious — but this is a real love story, with all of the imperfections and all of the joy and all of the pain and all of the mistakes. It’s very real. They’re teenagers; they’re still figuring out who they are and what their place is in the world — not to mention all of the ‘A’ drama.”

Emily recently admitted to hooking up with a guy while she was away. Will that be a source of tension?

“With him, I think Emily had her explorations when Maya was away, too. Another thing I love about [Emily and Maya] is that this didn’t destroy them. Maya came back, Emily fessed up, then Maya fessed up. I think it’s one thing to be an adult and decide to go away for a while, but Maya was a young adult who was forced to go to this place. She explained she was lonely and isolated. Sometimes, if you can’t be with the one you love, you start to project those feelings onto someone else who’s there with you. Maya was just straight with her about that, and Emily handled it very maturely.”

But their relationship will definitely see some ups and downs this season?

“Peaks and valleys, yes. We definitely break some ground and get to a new level. We reach a new place we’ve never reached before, so it definitely grows in that sense. The relationship expands.”

Any last thoughts on ‘Emaya’ and all the fans?

“I’m so grateful for all of their support and enthusiasm and kindness about Maya and Emaya and that whole love story. I am aware of it, even though I’m not on Twitter. I appreciate it.”

— Andy Swift

Follow Andy on Twitter for more Pretty Little Liars scoop

Harry Sui

Posted at 8:14 AM on May 13, 2012

i love the role of Emily and Maya, for love is decided not by mind but by heart. They both knew that it was impossible yet love does not fade. True love has to come from heart and when it’s true love it does not follow mind, no matter what the mind says…. I love them, and i especially love Emily who is hot and charming…i wish i m acting with her.

Christie

Posted at 4:07 PM on May 3, 2012

Maya is not really dead. They said they think its maya but maya will maybe coming back on season 3.

Maddie

Posted at 10:08 PM on March 20, 2012

She is going 2 be b/c there is going to be a situation with her and Emily b/c maya wasn’t really dead. Instead she was away out of town making out with a man that both maya and Emily made out while they both were absent for some reason

Raven

Posted at 2:54 AM on March 22, 2012

WhO did emily hook up witj

bobby

Posted at 9:57 AM on February 6, 2012

I don’t really care if lindsey shaw come back in season 3 as long as bianca lawson come back as emily girlfriend I don’t want her to die, or go to jail in the season 2 finale like rumors are saying can somebody find out if she is going to be in season 3.

Dani

Posted at 5:45 PM on February 5, 2012

I think Emily and Maya should be a couple forever there amazing an they share great chemistry i love them together!!

LovePLL

Posted at 6:21 AM on January 26, 2012

Will Bianca still be in Season3? I haven’t read any article about Maya being in S3 yet. So far, Lindsey Shaw made some hints that she would still be is S3.

sassylsm

Posted at 10:42 PM on January 26, 2012

The way Bianca was talking in this article you would think she would be stucking around but I heard she had a star role on teenwolf on mtv so she’s probably leaving. That SUCKS cause Emaya rocks!

karissa

Posted at 9:26 PM on February 18, 2012

hey does anyone know why paige will be in season 3 plus i love emily and maya but if maya keeps acting lik this i kinda wan paie and emily yo be togetheer coment back.

Maddie

Posted at 10:16 PM on March 20, 2012

Paige and maya will have a chick fight about Emily. Then like in the 3rd episode of season three, Emily will show. But this time she will be apart of the A team b/c all her friends have betrayed her and will eventually join Mona and the other gang members to find out who their leader(lady with the red dress that appeared at the end go the season two finale

Deev

Posted at 5:58 PM on March 21, 2012

Mayas dead ?

riham

Posted at 1:33 PM on January 25, 2012

maya n emily in luv??in real life!!!

sheena

Posted at 8:45 PM on March 29, 2012

maya is a gay slut i am happy she is deas

riham

Posted at 1:31 PM on January 25, 2012

emily lesbeane????????pliz wanna ans.

LovePLL

Posted at 6:13 AM on January 26, 2012

Emily is Lesbian/Gay.

Nurain

Posted at 6:04 AM on January 25, 2012

gosh, i love emaya and i hope these two always stick together! great interview!

Lexie

Posted at 7:03 PM on January 24, 2012

This interview just make me love Bianca and Emaya even more. Great interview Andy!

monica

Posted at 6:34 PM on January 24, 2012

I like emaya need more scenes with them hope everything worksout with them

krystallovespll

Posted at 6:33 PM on January 24, 2012

It wasn’t Emily, it was Maya that admitted to that in Season 2 episode 16. :)

sassylsm

Posted at 5:39 PM on January 24, 2012

I love Emaya whatever they go through I hope they still be together in the end. Bianca is such a sweet person!

Katie

Posted at 5:30 PM on January 24, 2012

Emily and Maya really do get shafted. We see Ezra and Aria kiss in just about every episode.

crystal

Posted at 3:29 PM on January 24, 2012

they need to show more emaya on the show..and great interview bianca!!

Jane

Posted at 2:59 PM on January 24, 2012

Great interview. Bianca always comes across as very intuned to her character(s) and a very intelligent and smart person herself. I’m always impressed with her as a person and actress. Plus Emaya is awesome and I hope PLL will feature them more then they already do.

Andy Swift

Posted at 3:11 PM on January 24, 2012

Right? I feel like Bianca really gets their relationship, and more importantly, actually cares. Refreshing!

Jane

Posted at 4:30 PM on January 24, 2012

No, you’re right? It’s refreshing to hear an actress be passionate about the character they play and the relationship they are involved in and it come across sincerely, but also for them to have a keen understanding in what motivates their character. Bianca probably doesn’t get enough credit, but I think she’s helped Shay Mitchell be a better actress.

Another thing I’m really impressed with is that Bianca noted that Maya hooked up with somone else because she felt isolated and was missing Emily. That’s a very real thing that people often do, “project what they feel onto someone close by”. At lot was made on twitter about her hooking up with a ‘guy’ but had it been a girl it would have been a non-issue. I’m glad the first word out Bianca’s mouth when you asked about him was that she reminded people Emily “made connections with others as well”. I hope that doesn’t get lost in the conversation.

I don’t know if you got any hints or inclinations about what’s coming up, but I’m curious if Emaya will talk about Maya’s time at the ‘camp’ next episode and if PLL will allow Maya to voice to Emily what her thought process was or what motivated her. I hope so, it’s important. And it’s kind of sweet. It kind of sounds like from the interview they do actually get a conversation about it rather then Bianca just giving fans a backstory into her character’s motivation.

Regardless, I’m glad to hear that’s not really an obstacle for them. I never thought it would be. I’m sure A will interject her/himself as soon as they can and I hate we won’t get to see the Maya/Paige showdown as it would have been nice to see fearless and protective Maya.

Marlene, PLL, and the abc family network has a very special thing going with Emaya. I hope they realize it and respect it. The show is better for having Bianca Lawson. I hope she’s more of a presence in S3.

Thanks again for the interview, Andy. Hope you can interview Shay Mitch at some point.

sassylsm

Posted at 9:47 PM on January 24, 2012

I agree with you 100% that was well stated!