'Pretty Little Liars' Recap: Aria & Ezra Reunite — And Is [Spoiler] Gone For Good?

Mon, January 23, 2012 9:30pm EDT by 14 Comments
Courtesy of ABC Family

Ezra & Aria shared their most romantic moment yet this week! Still totally illegal, but romantic nonetheless.

The Jan. 23 episode of Pretty Little Liars marked a momentous occasion: The boys of Rosewood finally got tired of being clueless and started demanding answers. But unlike with their lady business, the girls weren’t willing to give up anything. And after everything they discovered on tonight’s episode, there was plenty to tell.

Before I break down the best parts, let’s quickly go over what we learned tonight: For starters, Garrett (Yani Gellman), Ian (Ryan Merriman) and Jenna (Tammin Sursok) were all in Allison’s (Sasha Pieterse) room the night she was murdered. And that little whammy was followed up by the equally shocking discovery that “A” was conspiring against Allison long before “A” was after any of them.

But neither of those twists were even remotely as surprising as when the girls learned that Holden (Shane Coffey) is straight. Seriously, I think we all pegged him as a friend of Elton — am I right?

Speaking of Holden, he served his purpose as Aria’s (Lucy Hale) beard, so she could sneak off and meet Ezra (Ian Harding) for a romantic — yet completely statutory — rendezvous. And just when Aria was beginning to lose all hope, along came Ezra in his fiscally responsible automobile to kiss her in the rain. Like, one of those epic One Tree Hill kisses where neither party cares that they’re all gross and wet because they’re all about the love.

Sadly, the other girls’ nights didn’t end quite as well as Aria’s. After falling off some scaffolding — I blame that dirty bitch Jenna — Toby (Keegan Allen) ended up in the hospital, and in order to protect him, Emily (Shay Mitchell) basically broke up with him for Spencer (Troian Bellisario). As could be expected, he did not take it well. In fact, he took off. (TTYL, Tobez!)

At least we had Wren’s (Julian Morris) silky British accent to ease our sadness.

So what did we all think of tonight’s episode? Now that we know he’s not gay, what do you think Holden’s REAL secret is? Will Aria and Ezra be able to make it work this time? And what kind of special shampoo does Noel Kahn use to make his eyebrows so glorious? We got some solid information to chew on this week, so I’d better see you in the comments section!

— Andy Swift

Follow Andy on Twitter for more Pretty Little Liars coverage

Fel

Posted at 12:59 AM on January 29, 2012

Hi, can I ask is it the teacher thing or the age difference that is the issue with many veiwers opposed to the relationship? If its the teacher thing, they met before he was her teacher and is now not her teacher. If its the age difference, what exactly is the age difference as they haven’t stated Ezra’s age. Also they have diligently skirted the issue of if the relationship is sexual, the laws in Aus are diferent than the US, I met my husband when I was 15 and he was 21, we started dating when I was 16, and have now been together 10 years and have 3 young kids. What are the laws regarding similar relationships in the US as it was legal here

Emily

Posted at 6:55 PM on January 24, 2012

I love Ezria but what happened to Ezra because at the end a burned his pic!!!

Ash

Posted at 7:57 PM on January 31, 2012

Nothing happened, A just thought that he/she successfully sabotaged two of the girls relationships (Toby & Spencer/ Ezra & Aria) but A was wrong about Ezra and Aria.

Jesseca Niven

Posted at 1:01 PM on January 24, 2012

I love Spencer and Toby! i was so sad that he left…do you think he’ll come back?! i really really hope so…

Andy Swift

Posted at 2:03 PM on January 24, 2012

Oh, I’m sure he’ll be back. Hopefully his arm will be better so he and Spencer can hug it out already!

Lucas Corso

Posted at 7:45 AM on January 24, 2012

Ezra/Aria is disgusting, and ABC should be ashamed. Exploring a relationship like Ezra and Aria’s could make for meaningful TV. But romanticizing it to pander to teenage girls should make us vomit. I enjoy the show, for the most part. But I don’t know if I can continue to watch while a college professor carries on a secret relationship with his still-in-high school former high school student.

Andy Swift

Posted at 12:29 PM on January 24, 2012

You speak the truth, my friend. I know we’re supposed to get all giddy and wrapped up in it, but if you take a step back and evaluate it, you can’t possibly support what they’re doing. I don’t care if they met before he was her teacher. That doesn’t make it any less illegal.

Amanda

Posted at 3:49 AM on January 24, 2012

To be honest I’m so sick of Ezra and Aria. It’s all everyone talks about! I don’t know about anyone else but I much prefer Hanna and Caleb as the “it” couple or whatever you call it. Ezra and Aria are just so boring and it’s the same old crap with them. They should have ended it weeks ago when Jason was in the picture.
Before you all jump down my throat for saying it it’s just my opinion :)

Andy Swift

Posted at 12:30 PM on January 24, 2012

I will not jump down your throat. In fact, I’ll applaud you. How many *epic* Aria/Ezra kiss moments have we seen now? It doesn’t excite me anymore. Someone needs to get in-between them… or she needs to get pregnant.

(Figured I’d take the heat off of you. Now people can jump down MY throat.)

selena

Posted at 12:05 AM on January 24, 2012

am i the only one that thinks it was just a daydream(ezria reuniting) i mean seriously her hair was completely dry when her mom picked her up and the whole things seemed rlly…daydreamy

Ather

Posted at 1:10 AM on January 24, 2012

I was afraid it was, but it seems to be legit. Plus, I think their lovefest was ended with time to spare to cover their tracks.

Lucas Corso

Posted at 7:46 AM on January 24, 2012

I hope you are correct. But I don’t think you are.

Andy Swift

Posted at 12:31 PM on January 24, 2012

Haha, I think the dry hair thing might have just been a continuity error. To me, it wasn’t worth the epic-ness for it to just be a daydream.

And it sounds like most of the people in this comment thread are over “Ezria.”

j

Posted at 8:28 PM on January 25, 2012

Not me. I love them. BE BOLD was the quote this episode.