'Vampire Diaries' Poll: Do You Love Or Hate Stefan In Season 3?

Fri, January 20, 2012 6:12pm EST by 64 Comments
Courtesy of The CW

Tell me where you stand on this ever-important issue: Do you miss the Elena-worshipping, bunny-eating Stefan from season one?

“You don’t even know how bad you’ve gotten!” That one line, yelled by Elena (Nina Dobrev) to Stefan (Paul Wesley) on the Jan. 19 episode of The Vampire Diaries, perfectly sums up this season’s most intense debate among fans of the show: Just how bad has Stefan gotten? He’s clearly made destroying Klaus (Joseph Morgan) his No. 1 priority, over his family, his friends, and even Elena — but does that make him “evil” for willingly putting the people he loves at risk, or is he actually noble for doing whatever it takes to save them in the long run?

I know, it’s complicated. But that’s what’s so great about The Vampire Diaries — the characters have become so complex that you can’t help but second-guess their motives at every step!

I’ve noticed a pretty extreme divide in the comments section of my recaps. The debate is no longer simply about whether Elena belongs with Stefan or Damon (Ian Somerhalder), but about how much Stefan has changed — and whether or not it’s been for the better.

MVK says: “If Elena takes Stefan back, she’s dumb. He’s done too much in my book to be forgiven. You don’t terrorize the one you’re supposed to love.”

Granted, there are still plenty of fans on Team Stefan:

Tata says: “Stefan did all of this to save Elena and Damon, and he was the only one who could do it. But he never stopped loving Elena, and obviously, she never stopped loving him either.”

There’s also a third group of fans — we’ll call them the “independents” — who aren’t necessarily taking issue with Stefan because of what he’s doing, but because of how wishy-washy he’s become. Regardless of who they think Elena belongs with, they just want Stefan to pick a side.

Jennifer says: “I really hate what they’ve done with Stefan’s character. I was liking ‘Evil Stefan’ for the first several episodes this season, but it’s not working for me anymore. And it feels like they don’t even know what they’re doing with him! Does he care? Does he not care?”

So which category do YOU fall into? Do you hate Stefan for putting everyone in danger, or do you respect him for trying to save them no mater the cost? See you in the comments section!

— Andy Swift

Follow Andy on Twitter for more Vampire Diaries updates

lacysos

Posted at 1:35 AM on January 25, 2012

I loved Stefan in S1, S2 and I truly love Stefan in S3.

It’ll always be Stefan!

Okay, I admit it, it really is all about Paul Wesley. He is truly killing it this season. So happy for this Ripper storyline.

s

Posted at 10:46 AM on January 23, 2012

i don’t really like the new stefan!
and i hope that stefan and elena can be back together!!!

TVD FAN STELENA

Posted at 8:30 PM on January 22, 2012

I Think the writers are doing a wonderful job on making stefan evil..its showing what type of actor he is he can play evil/good side thats an actor .Think about it alot of you fell for sweeet/loving stefan and now he is evil and now some hate him thats acting like i never seen.when an actor can play good/evil role and be loved and hated he is doing his job..I PERSONALLY LOVE STEFAN EVIL ROLE…but keep in mind sweet loving stefan is still there and could come back at any time then what him and Elena live happily ever after end of show..Boring …We all seek drama/love,emotions,hurt friendship,death thats why we watch and love TVD..PAUL WESLEY IS ONE HELL OF AN ACTOR TO PLAY A EVIL/SWEET ROLL..I LOVE STEFAN EVIL/GOOD ALWAYS WILL BE A FAN…Him and Elena will find that love they have its one of those love that never fades..DAMON LOVE FOR HER IS ALSO GENUINE BUT NOT TRUE LOVE THAT STEFAN HAS FOR HER..WRITER OF TVD KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK .. ASK YOURSELF WHY DO PEOPLE HATE EVIL STEFAN? YOU ARE GETTING ALOT FEEDBACK ABOUT HIS EVIL ROLE CAUSE HE IS GOOD AT IT ..RATINGS HELLO …ALWAYS A FAN OF STEFAN NO MATTER WHAT ROLE HE PLAYS …PAUL WESLEY ROCKS AS (STEFAN) HE WILL NEVER BE HATED BUT LOVED ..THINK ABOUT PEOPLE EITHER HATE HIM EVIL OR LOVE AS SWEET THATS DEVOTED FANS (I AM ))KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK..WESLEY BIG FAN …

em

Posted at 2:59 PM on January 22, 2012

I dont think people realize how much stefan has sacrificed. He saves elena a bunch of times throughout the series. He always suffers himself opposed to someone else having to suffer, he has has been so selfless. Then he sacrifices ten years of his life to save damon, whos been tormenting him for a hundred years or so. He has to give the girl he loves more than anything because he has this debt to his brother that he must pay. The whole time hes with klaus hes hating himself because he doesnt want to kill people, and hes fighting himself again with that need for human blood and his humanity, a situation that KLAUS put him in. Then even though he loves Elene still, he protects from the monster he has become so she can do better and have a better life. When Klaus turns off his emotions, he CANT care anymore, he barely has a say about acting like a jerk because he cant do anything about. During all that damons moving in on Elena not caring about the fact that she still loves stefan, he trys to make her push that away for his own selfish desires. Now stefan is free of klaus but is so guilt stricken on what he has done he pushes Elena away for her own good and does the only thing he has, which is to get back at klaus for ruining his life. And yet, through all that, there are still people out there who complain that stefan is a jerk and doesnt care about anyone….
yeah that sums it up, he cant help it. why don’t you all chill and look at it from stefan’s side.

bambi2

Posted at 2:46 PM on January 22, 2012

I hate evil Stefan! Its out of character unless Stefan is compelled to obey & turn it off–as soon as he was uncompelled he should have become caring feeling Stefan again! The only thing I like about Stelena now is that Stefan & Elena are finally relating to each other about their relationship (in the handful of scenes they do have together) before their love was just assumed, taken granted for, a given –and so they’d relate to each other as if STEFAN WAS PAPA& ELENA WAS MAMA, and everybody else in mystic falls were children that needed to be saved from impending doom. Stefan became at the end of season 1 Elena’s go to guy for fixing whatever mess was on the horizon–it got boring–at least they now have their own issues to resolve but I am afraid that the show will turn Stefan from crazy angry demonic “bad Stefan” to “brooding over himself because he is unable to forgive himself stefan” for the sake of Delena–how boring…

Kay

Posted at 11:31 AM on January 22, 2012

I don’t understand how people can hate on Stefan at all this season when the only reasons his in this predicament to begin with is because he was trying to save his brothers life since Klaus wanted to haul him around like his minion, whom might I add would probably never do something like that for him (not at this point… yet) Can anyone really see Damon giving up his ‘freedom’ for Stefan? Honestly?

I try to envision it and want to because I just love their brotherhood and am holding out the biggest hope that eventually or at least at the end of the story, they’ll figure it all out but after reading Stefan Diaries and just how easily and without remorse Damon is able to betray his brother. It feels like an impossibility, Damon is the problem in their relationship. I digress though…

I liked seeing another darker side to Stefan, I’m glad his fighting back even if he has to do it alone. It’s been enjoyable and all round his such a dynamic character. Paul Wesley portrays him perfectly and can’t tell you how many times I’ve cried for him this season or with him in the last episode. You just know though that once this ‘lone’ man streak is over and the battle with Klaus is over that he is going to hate himself so much. He’s done so many things that he never wanted to do, that he was afraid of doing.

Suhana

Posted at 9:14 AM on January 22, 2012

I like Stefan when he’s evil but I think he went too far with Elena drinking his blood. But I’ve always loved the sweet, nice Stefan and Elena belongs to him :)

TVDlover

Posted at 7:07 AM on January 22, 2012

I love ‘ evil Stefan ‘ but I miss the old Stefan I just hope he goes back but I don’t know who I want Elena with I like the fact at the moment you could see her going with either one of them but ultimately she belongs witb Stefan in the end

Julka

Posted at 6:02 AM on January 22, 2012

I prefer Damon than Stefan but Stefan is great in the third season.
I love his wild character ;)

Little_kimmetje

Posted at 3:33 AM on January 22, 2012

I don’t hate stefan but i hope so he gets his human feelings back and get back to elena

Sweetboxes

Posted at 10:04 PM on January 21, 2012

Stefan’s love for Elena never dies. I believe whatever he is doing now, it’s for the best of Elena and Damon in the long run. He is really a noble person despite all the extreme measures he took. Even when he was speeding to the end of wickery bridge, I believe he will never drive it off as he knew klaus would not let him. Remember he told Elena “he had to believe I would really do it”. I support Stefan forever, and really hope they will be together again!!!

lacysos

Posted at 7:08 PM on January 21, 2012

Still love Stefan.

IT WILL ALWAYS BE STEFAN!!!

Nicole

Posted at 6:55 PM on January 21, 2012

Elena fell in love with the bunny-eating Elena-worshipping Stefan. From what I’ve seen so far, this is her first true love. You NEVER forget your first true love. He turned into this “Evil Stefan” because of his love for Damon. It’s really sad.

People keep saying how Damon deserves Elena and all, and yes I do believe he loves her. It’s not the kind of love I would call a selfless kind of love, though. Not like the kind Stefan had for her. I mean, Damon did try to force her into becoming a vampire against her will in order to “save her”–and he wasn’t a deranged, once bunny-eating turned psycho ripper killer. Put yourself in Elena’s shoes. You have a guy who loves you so much that he would give up everything to save his brother and hopefully to keep Klaus from hurting you. He didn’t want to become evil. Damon is cute… has funny lines… and seems to really love Elena.

Stefan on the other hand, whether evil or not, loves her deeply and would sacrifice everything for her. I remember reading a comment about why would Stefan, who is not compelled by Klaus anymore, try to hurt Elena in a very profound way by acting like he was going to turn her into a vampire by KILLING her and driving her off the bridge where she should have died along with her parents. He’s obviously pushing her away. Obviously. Wouldn’t you push someone away you loved deeply if you knew you became a psychopath killer…? He knows she’s too good for him. I truly believe that’s why he did it. He was also trying not to let himself hurt and feel the guilt and pain from the things he’s done. He’s a vampire.

You never know what you had until you lose it completely. I think this is why “Evil Stefan” apologized to Elena. He pushed her to change into this good-natured human who lost her parents into a tough woman who learned to deal with the pain and loss of someone who said they loved her more than anything. If someone said they loved you and you fell deeply in love with them and then had that all change–not because it was your fault, but because of happenstance, wouldn’t you feel absolutely undeniably crushed?

It’s a sad love story. Especially for Elena. Really. Damon is a blast to watch, but Stefan is definately meant for Elena. Evil Stefan in season 3 should definately change. Lexi, Elena, and Damon all know who he truly is. Do you remember Emily Bennett saying to Stefan, “Even in death, your heart is pure, Stefan. I sense that about you. That will be your curse.”

I absolutely love Stefan and Elena together. I know it’s a story, but you can actually feel their pain when you watch it and it’s heartwrenching.

Delena

Posted at 10:09 PM on January 21, 2012

You said it, “Elena fell in love with the bunny-eating Elena-worshipping Stefan.” Not the Stefan he is now. I get that he is doing all this with Klaus to eventually get him out of all of their lives, (Stefan’s/Elena’s/Damon’s/Etc.) for good but the way he is going about it, is just wrong, especially if he is so in love with Elena. So tell me this, he doesn’t care if they all end up dead in the process (Nearly killing Elena, on the exact bridge her parents died, that takes the cake, not caring if Jeremy or Alaric died, didn’t care if Damon died while moving the coffins)?! So what exactly is his point to kill Klaus for good? I get what your saying about Stefan pushing Elean away. But really he is the one who made it get to this point, to have to try and push her away. He really didn’t HAVE to leave town with Klaus, once Katherine took Damon the blood, he could of simply left but he didn’t, did he? I think part of him wanted to go, and indulge in the bloodlust life style once again. He also was not compelled for the first few months with Klaus and he knew Damon and ELena was looking for him, why stay? To what, find a way to kill Klaus? Ok but why not go back and work with Elena together, and find a way (which is what Damon does every time, he includes/works with Elena) and Elena in return respects him for that. Together they could of found a way, but he didn’t do that. To top that off, after Klaus set him free and he did get most of his humanity back, again instead of going off alone, he should of went and worked with Damon and Elena, but he took out this revenge plan on Klaus instead all by himself and he was more obsessed with his plan, then he was on trying to work on his relationship with Elena, which what should of taken severance over everything else.

Damon on the hand, has done some very bad things in the past, from day one. Elena knew that, knew that was him and she still fell in love with him. She fell for the real Damon, the bad, vampire side of him as well the goofy, gentle, caring side. And he has worked on changing the bad and has become this good, so gentle man and it was because of his love for Elena. As he knows, that is the type of man she deserves, even if they strictly stay friends. Damon loves her so much, that he was willing to sacrifice being with her, to bring Stefan back for her because he knew that is what she wanted and that she loved him. He even told her, he didn’t deserve her, but his brother did. That was the most selfless scene in the show so far. He would also choose every and anyone above her. He would never leave her, even if she was with Stefan. He would put his life in harms way nearly every episode just to keep her safe. He includes her in plans which makes her feel equal, which is how is should be with true love. Which is exactly what they have, she loved him even when she knew and saw his dark side and he loves every part of her in return, that is true love.

Beside those facts, honestly Stefan and Elena just don’t and never will have, that passion, the fireworks, the explosiveness, that is Delena. I tried real hard to give them the benefit of the doubt, but even in the beginning with them they just didn’t have that certain spark that Damon and Elena share. Delena just share a look and it’s beaming off the TV screen, undeniable chemistry.

The real super couple, which share true love, is Delena!!

Carrie

Posted at 6:50 PM on January 21, 2012

I don’t think that it is just a question of heartthrob or evil villain. It is the line that each will cross for those they love. None of them want to be a monster but they will be hated if it saves there loved ones. Lets not forget that Elena has lied to so many people which has led to there deaths. She had her brothers memories wiped. I just love the storyline no matter who is with who. The actors ability to make their feelings believable and to make the viewers love them or hatem. Joseph,Paul,Nina,Kat and Ian is why I watch.

Can't get enough of stefan

Posted at 5:36 PM on January 21, 2012

This season is great for stefan and all to other characters. But i think stefan in season 3 gives the show the attraction to both SE & DE fans because for SE they want to see how things go back to the way they are and for the DE they want to see the chance of damon being happy with the girl he loves. Stefan is like the spices in foods he gives the flavor that’s why i think a better understanding should be given to him by elena. Stefan deserves a better treatment for what he is doing.! SE sre forever

Stefan all the time

Posted at 5:27 PM on January 21, 2012

I love stefan during the first and second season and with that i came to also like damon, but still my likeness of stefan keeps on over flowing until season 3 came. My likeness of stefan burst! TVD for me was about the stefan in season 1&2 and his complex role in this new season. I liked their idea of showing how a man has to change to protect the ones he love that one we should give that credit to stefan. Stefan’s character has shown a lot compare to other characters which is why i think stefan deserves a better story line than what he is having now, lately hate is been on stefan and i don’t think he deserve that i just wish that they could stop it because it seems like it would be hard on them to redeem stefan back.

DelenaFan

Posted at 5:14 PM on January 21, 2012

I love evil Stefan! if he stays evil, elena will go be with damon faster. if he turns into boring old stefan again, elena will still go to Damon cause its right, it will just take longer. she even admitted that she liked the kiss with damon.
dont kill klaus! i love klaroline! or whatever its called!

TeamStefan#

Posted at 5:11 PM on January 21, 2012

LOVE STEFAN!!

Becky

Posted at 4:23 PM on January 21, 2012

I love evil!stefan, and i really hope we can keep him for a while. I think his redemption arc is about to start way too soon. It was kind of a let down how he was willing to drive her off the bridge her parents died on last episode (which I thought was a breakthrough scene for Stefan as a character), and then this next episode he gets upset that she and Damon kissed? I don’t think so. If he really thought he’d already lost her, I don’t think he’d be as upset by it. I just hope they don’t rush into making him dull and boring and the perfect boyfriend again. He’s done some bad things, and it changed both he and Elena, and I don’t want her to revert back to who she was, because like he pointed out… She has gotten stronger. And I am so not a Delena fan, but I think they need a chance. Because she didn’t object kissing him, and she said to Stefan that she didn’t feel guilty that it happened, so obviously she feels for him more than just as her friend. I feel like the writer’s are walking on eggshells here with how the execute the rest of the season, but I’m sure it will be great!

P.S. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DON’T KILL KLAUS. :[ I LOVE HIM SO MUCH.

Stacy

Posted at 3:35 PM on January 21, 2012

I love Stefan but i think Damon should be with her for a season or 2 because im tired of everyone complaining about it. And other thing Damon has done some sick things too and she forgave him too. So i think it will just take time for Elena to forgive Stefan too.

Lisa

Posted at 2:41 PM on January 21, 2012

I LOVE Stefan! He´s the most complex,most interesting character at TVD and Paul plays him so great and convincing.
I like both sides of Stefan,good or bad.
I think/hope: at the end of S3 we´ll get Stelena back and a Stefan who´s a mix of the lovingly one of S1+2 and the cool,tough guy of S3.

doina

Posted at 1:20 PM on January 21, 2012

Oh..I adore Stefan!!!I like the bad stefan and the good one but i just hope he will become again good because I miss the love between him and elena..specially his feelings for her are so huge!He could die for her if it was needed!I want their love back!

Sab

Posted at 1:19 PM on January 21, 2012

I rlly loved the caring and loving stefan, now hes just a ass, bit he did all this out of love and we are just forgetting that. Im not saying i rllyhate him in S3 cuz hes had his moments of humanity with elena. I hope elena tales him back because she knows the person he is now is not who he rlly is cuz she knows him better then anyone elts. All u Delena fans stop saying stefan has done bad things 2 her. But remember what damon did. Stefan is doing it out of love, damon did it because thts who he is

Erica

Posted at 12:42 PM on January 21, 2012

I find both sides of Stefan appealing. I liked him as the sweet sensitive vampire who “likes puppy blood” (lol @Damon), but I’m also very into this bad boy Stefan as well. Now if he could just meet somewhere in the middle, instead of going from one extreme to the other, he’d be absolutely perfect! ;)(;

lacysos

Posted at 12:26 PM on January 21, 2012

I love STEFAN. No matter what he does or to whom he does it, I LOVE STEFAN. I loved S1 good Stefan. Loved S2 Stefan when the writers gave him nothing more to do than “hhuugg” Elena. And I truly love S3 Stefan. I loved the phone scene, the closet scene, the torture scene (shamefully), the “turn it off” scene, “I knew you would catch me” scene, the bridge scene, and this kiss confession scene.

What can I say? Paul Wesley slays me. I love any scene he’s in. He can say a thousand things with his eyes alone. He’s so amazing!!!