'Vampire Diaries' Poll: Do You Love Or Hate Stefan In Season 3?

Fri, January 20, 2012 6:12pm EDT by 64 Comments
Courtesy of The CW

Tell me where you stand on this ever-important issue: Do you miss the Elena-worshipping, bunny-eating Stefan from season one?

“You don’t even know how bad you’ve gotten!” That one line, yelled by Elena (Nina Dobrev) to Stefan (Paul Wesley) on the Jan. 19 episode of The Vampire Diaries, perfectly sums up this season’s most intense debate among fans of the show: Just how bad has Stefan gotten? He’s clearly made destroying Klaus (Joseph Morgan) his No. 1 priority, over his family, his friends, and even Elena — but does that make him “evil” for willingly putting the people he loves at risk, or is he actually noble for doing whatever it takes to save them in the long run?

I know, it’s complicated. But that’s what’s so great about The Vampire Diaries — the characters have become so complex that you can’t help but second-guess their motives at every step!

I’ve noticed a pretty extreme divide in the comments section of my recaps. The debate is no longer simply about whether Elena belongs with Stefan or Damon (Ian Somerhalder), but about how much Stefan has changed — and whether or not it’s been for the better.

MVK says: “If Elena takes Stefan back, she’s dumb. He’s done too much in my book to be forgiven. You don’t terrorize the one you’re supposed to love.”

Granted, there are still plenty of fans on Team Stefan:

Tata says: “Stefan did all of this to save Elena and Damon, and he was the only one who could do it. But he never stopped loving Elena, and obviously, she never stopped loving him either.”

There’s also a third group of fans — we’ll call them the “independents” — who aren’t necessarily taking issue with Stefan because of what he’s doing, but because of how wishy-washy he’s become. Regardless of who they think Elena belongs with, they just want Stefan to pick a side.

Jennifer says: “I really hate what they’ve done with Stefan’s character. I was liking ‘Evil Stefan’ for the first several episodes this season, but it’s not working for me anymore. And it feels like they don’t even know what they’re doing with him! Does he care? Does he not care?”

So which category do YOU fall into? Do you hate Stefan for putting everyone in danger, or do you respect him for trying to save them no mater the cost? See you in the comments section!

— Andy Swift

Follow Andy on Twitter for more Vampire Diaries updates

nina

Posted at 11:34 AM on January 21, 2012

Team Stefan all the way! Absolutely love him! He is doing such a great job, especially season 3! I absolutely love him! I find that Damon has lost his bad-attractive side. Its like they’ve switched places!

tina

Posted at 11:31 AM on January 21, 2012

I absolutely love Stefan! He has made season 3 intense and much more intersting! He is the reason why im so into season 3! Its exciting how you can never predict what he is up to, i think thats one of the great parts about him! Im excited to wath the episodes to see what he is going to do! I can’t wait for the next episode!

Sam

Posted at 10:21 AM on January 21, 2012

Ugh. I can’t stand Stefan. Good nor bad. As good, he’s such a sissy. And as bad, he’s just a d-bag.

kat

Posted at 10:08 AM on January 21, 2012

I love Stefan, he’s the best thing this season!

Team Stefan all the way :)

Euras

Posted at 9:29 AM on January 21, 2012

I’ve always loved Stefan, and even though I was not a fan of his emotionless side after Klaus’ compulsion this season, he’s the reason why I’m still watching the show. Amazing character and amazing performance by Paul Wesley. Period.

Victoria

Posted at 9:29 AM on January 21, 2012

I love season 3 Stefan!! I am, for sure, a Stefan and Elena fan, and I’m soooo waiting for that reunion, but for now, I love, love, love, how complex Stefan has become. He obviously is doing all this revenge thing because Klaus destroyed everything he loves, and he’s trying to protect Elena and Damon, but it also hurts him so much that he has to pretend not to care when he so does! And Paul Wesley has done an amazing job at it!!!

Henrita

Posted at 9:25 AM on January 21, 2012

I always loved Stefan. Loved him in S1,S2 now I love him in S3. Paul Wesley’s acting is phenomenal. The best actor of TVD. Team Stefan forever! He has done so much to save ppl who don’t even give a fuck. Screw them.

Agnes

Posted at 9:16 AM on January 21, 2012

I absolutely love Stefan in season 3!! Well I really miss “the old” Stefan but thanks to this change we see how amazing and phenomenal actor Paul Wesley is!!!

StefansAwesome

Posted at 9:11 AM on January 21, 2012

He’s getting better and better. I Love him! Especially in season 3!

linnea

Posted at 5:40 AM on January 21, 2012

I agree with “Jennifer”

Clare

Posted at 3:44 AM on January 21, 2012

I love, love, love Paul Wesley. He is a hot, funny, sexy, great guy and a damn good actor, but the role of Stefan Salvatore not so much.

It’s like the writers don’t know what to do with him, so they walk on egg shells, fearing he will lose popularity.
He is inconsistent and never accountable for his actions. The hundreds of names on his wall and the brutal way he pieces his victims back together has been swept away and I couldn’t believe Elena was so forgiving of the bridge incident after one episode. We’ll see, but wow, Damon would of been hated for a whole season. And now people feel sorry for Stefan because he made a sad face after been told about the kiss. Sorry, just NO! What a joke. He needs to find himself. Paul deserves better writers.

Crystal Salvatore

Posted at 1:34 AM on January 21, 2012

I love the new, humanity lacking Stephen. However, it’s only because I want Elena to give Damon a chance. I feel like everyone treats him terribly and the closer damon gets to elena the more his humanity shows… so the further stephen loses his its almost like damon gains that much more….. I however, do look forward to when Stephen breaks and FINALLY lets is all in and apologizes to Elena..!

Anna

Posted at 12:11 AM on January 21, 2012

Never was able to connect with Stefan’s character, not even in the beginning and I just disliked his character more and more as the show progressed. Now in season 3 he just comes across as a lying, insecure and manipulative d.bag who bad mouths his brother every chance he gets. What’s to like?

Sara

Posted at 11:45 PM on January 20, 2012

I feel the whole routine of Stephen being evil is getting old. At some parts we feel he might break through, and then he does something completely shocking. I think Elena should be with Stephen and he just needs to snap out of this…. And fast!

Super

Posted at 9:50 PM on January 20, 2012

Love badass Stefan, the sensitive one is boring.

jenny. B

Posted at 8:59 PM on January 20, 2012

I Love Love Love Stefan!! paul wesley is by far the best actor on that show.. I really like Damon too. Elena? not so much, she is just so damn annoying. I actually dont want him and Elena to get back together, he can do way better! TEAM STEFAN!!!

Maria

Posted at 8:16 PM on January 20, 2012

and Team Delenas you really have to thank Stefan!!!

Liza

Posted at 12:13 AM on January 21, 2012

Yes indeed we do have to thank Stefan – the more we see of Stefan the more fkg AWESOME Damon looks.

loveklaroline

Posted at 8:16 PM on January 20, 2012

I love Stefan!….. Just not this season. I loved him because of al the things he’s sacrificed (eg his freedom and elena) to save damon… but he had it back and he could ave had damon and elena back and he went off the rails instead. Not caring about jeremy… and especially the wickery bridge and feeding elena blood was too much for me. He took it far. he did it out of revenge, not love (like when damon fed elena blood because he wanted her to live because he loved her)….
he crossed the line by taking her to the bridge where her parents died no matter what the reason was.

Maria

Posted at 8:15 PM on January 20, 2012

Hate? please!!! He is the one who saved Damon!!! Damon will die if Stefan didn’t sacrifice everything he have,the humanity, Love,…!!! the only reason he is being so bad right now, is because of Damon!!! and Damon ass-hole stealing his girlfriend while he is trying to make a happily ever after!!! and i’m so team STEFAN!!!

Giselle

Posted at 7:48 PM on January 20, 2012

Team Stefan! I like him because he’s such a complex character. He’s done a lot of good and bad actions for his brother and Elena. I don’t think that Elena has to forgive him right back but you can still see that he loves her, he just thinks he doesn’t deserver her. I think he’s right but maybe as the season develops we will be able to see little glimpses of old stefan towards Elena. And only then, she’s gonna forgive him.

Abby

Posted at 7:21 PM on January 20, 2012

Ugh hate Stefan good or bad. He’s still saint stef in my eyes and I WILL NEVER acknowledge any good he does cos he’s fake. Poor Damon having a brother like him, I wouldn’t wish that on my worst enemy O_o

lia

Posted at 7:19 PM on January 20, 2012

I don’t like Stefan any way being he nice or evil. He is not well written from the start. Unfortunately he is the leading character of the show so I think the writers are trying so hard to fix him but no succeed at all.
The season 1 Stefan was ridiculous, the season 2 Stefan was a coward and this Stefan is a fake that we don’t know what he wants to accomplish with all that mess.

vivian

Posted at 7:04 PM on January 20, 2012

I’M 100% TEAM DELENA BUT I FALL IN THE THIRD GROUP!!!! I DON’T HAVE AN OPINION ON STEFAN. DON’T HATE HIM! DON’T LOVE HIM!!!! HE DOES SOMETHING BAD BUT THEN ITS GOOD…WHICH IS WHICH??? I GUESS THE REASON WE ARE HAVING THIS PROBLEM IS THAT THE RIPPER S/L WASN’T PLANNED IT WAS JUST PUT IN THERE CUZ PAUL WANTED SOMETHING NEW TO WORK WITH BUT THE WRITERS OBVIOUSLY ARE NOT GONNA MAKE STEFAN PURE EVIL CUZ HE’S THEIR “TRUE TRAGIC HERO” SO EVERYTHING IS ALL OVER THE PLACE. THIS RIPPER S/L HAS BEEN SUCH A DISAPPOINTMENT AND IT LOOKS LIKE ITS COMING TO AN END….FINALLY, LET’S MOVE ON TO IMPORTANT STORYLINES. IT’S JUST SO RIDICULOUS REALLY I MEAN LAST WEEK HE WAS BEING A BETTER “VILLAIN” AND THIS WEEK HE’S BROODING LIKE STARVED PANDA. LIKE SERIOUSLY, THE WRITERS ARE NOT SHOWING ME THAT THEY ARE SERIOUS WITH HIS S/L SO I JUST DON’T CARE!!!!

Andy, I love you :) In my dreams you are the Damon to my Elena <3

Ace

Posted at 6:45 PM on January 20, 2012

Frankly, Stefan comes off as a Damon wanna-be. The writers obviously realized he wasn’t popular enough so wanted to hype him up by making him “bad” and will then rebuild him and it is supposed to be this great tale about the most tragice hero ever but it just doesn’t work. Part of it is, Damon already went that route, naturally, and did it better. It is also because they never had the guts to do anything with “bad” Stefan without giving him an excuse before, which left one with the feeling they don’t dare dirty up their White Knight too much. His “bad” was bratty and crazy at most and he was dumb, which was unimpressive. The only reason it was “better” than previous Stefan was it was at least more fun and energetic as emo/good Stefan is the most boring character there ever was. Dreaded the “depressed poor Stefan” that was to come after all this ripper nonsense -as knew they wouldn’t keep at it for long, it’s their precious baby after all- and it reared its ugly head already this episode. I don’t know whow they managed to make Stefan so increasinly annoying. S1, I was no huge fan but liked him and had an interest in him and the DS relationship. S2 I started disliking him and was alieanated from DS relationship. S3, I now hate him with a passion and could care less for DS too, at this point. Way to go about it! And it is not his “bad deeds” that turned me of, it is the fact hypocrisy and manipulation is his main character trait and his love comes with a lot of selfishness and how his love for his brother has a lot to do with his inability to let him go because HE needs Damon to stick around for an eternity with him but he also just has to feel better than him at all times so does his best to make him feel bad about himself and badmouts him to everyone. He proved he didn’t love Elena enough not only when he gave her up, but also when he didn’t “care” when he was hurting her, probably putting her through the worst day of her life. When he finds out Elena kissed DAMON though, he cares all of a sudden, because it is all about Damon and his competiton with Damon and not Elena or his love for Elena. Elena and his love for her was never enough to snap him out of anything, his Damon obsession is, but it is an unhealthy obsession.

Ace

Posted at 6:58 PM on January 20, 2012

Also, the only person Stefan “helped” was Damon, who was dying from a werewolf bite because DAMON was the only person trying to stop the ritual that would see Elena and her loved ones dead while Stefan was busy taking her on a hike on her last day (and thus seperating her from her loved ones as he is just THAT selfish and all about himself and his needs and he needed Elena all to himself) and once he stopped by and watched Klaus take her away, his next move was to call his older brother to fix things -the same brother who he never helped during all this and even sided against, as heaven help us if Stefan shall go against Elena and not come off as a good supportive boyfriend even when she is suicidal!- because he is THAT useless.
But he may stand by as Elena is taken to her death but Stefan can’t stand by when it is Damon dying so what did Stefan the big hero did? He went and willingly went into Klaus’ service -meaning it would mean he’d be killing lots of innocents- giving his current life in MF up (including Elena, again). And he did that not to save MF or innocents no, he is agreeing to be a murder weapon in Klaus comment to save Damon and Damon only.

Damon and Elena risk theire lives to save him from Klaus many times but he refuses them. Once he is finally released from Klaus’ commend (and compulsion), what does he do? He runs off, leaving everyone behind, even though they’d totally take him back. Than has a chat with Katherine where she sets him on his “revenge” path and so he comes back to MF all “revenge” crazy, claiming “Klaus took everything from me” to explain all his actions. By stealing the coffins, he also makes everyone in MF -including Damon and Elena’s loved ones- in danger and on Klaus’ hit list (where before he was just going to leave everyone be.)

So no, Stefan did NOT do anything for Elena AT ALL. And yes, his “going to Klaus” bit was for Damon and “stopping Damon from killing Klaus” thing is also because he believed Katherine when she said Klaus’ hybrids -who are so lame even Jeremy can kill them!- would kill Damon, but his “revenge” thing is ALL about him and his needs and it is endangering everyone and is not done for them. He is soooo not a hero in any of this.

Alleygal

Posted at 6:27 PM on January 20, 2012

OMG I am so into Vampire Diaries. I don’t love Stefan’s Character at the moment, but yesterday when she told him about the kiss, you could see something in his eyes. He’s doing this for her and he knows she’ll never have a normal life with him or his brother And that’s why he loves her more then Damon. Because he always is looking out for Elena. Cmon I like to see an episode where Elena is Really in danger. I know Stefan would step up to the plate. His acting like he doesn’t care is all show. That was confirmed for me yesterday after she told him about Kissing Damon.

princess

Posted at 10:58 PM on January 20, 2012

SO TRUE! I’m pretty sure there’s something behing his douche-bag attitude. He loves Elena and its so obvious!

Cam

Posted at 3:58 AM on January 21, 2012

If Stefan really loved her sooooo much more than Damon does, he wouldn’t have left…

TVD x

Posted at 6:32 AM on January 21, 2012

Then Damon would have died…
I like Stefan :) Everything he does is with a reason. It’s for Elena or Damon. I really like him even his bad side because he’s still a vampire! But I hope that he finds his humanity back and the way to Elena’s heart. Also Damon isn’t good after all… Stefan and Damon are actually the same. They do good things, they do bad things… But I can only picture Elena with Stefan with Damon it’s not meant to be…
STELENA ALWAYS :)