Gender-Neutral Child's Sex FINALLY Revealed After Five Years

Fri, January 20, 2012 1:15pm EDT by 35 Comments
Gender Neutral Child

A couple that concealed the gender of their child for five years have finally announced the big secret — he’s a boy!

Beck Laxton, 46, and partner Kieran Cooper, 44, kept their child Sasha‘s gender hidden because they wanted his “real” personality to develop, according to The Daily Mail. For five years, they referred to Sasha as “the infant,” only gave him gender-neutral toys, dressed him in boy and girl clothing and didn’t allow a TV in the house!

But when Sasha started primary school, the secret was too hard to keep. “I wanted to avoid all that stereotyping,” Beck said. “Stereotypes seem fundamentally stupid. Why would you want to slot people into boxes?”

Only a handful of close family members knew the child’s gender, while friends and other relatives were left guessing. The secret was almost revealed when Sasha took to running around naked, but Beck encouraged him to play with dolls instead.

At school, Sasha wears a top from the girls’ uniform list and encouraged to wear flowery tops on weekends.

“I just want him to fulfill his potential, and I wouldn’t push him in any direction,” Beck explained. “As long as he has good relationships and good friends, then nothing else matters does it?”

What do YOU think of their decision to raise this child gender-neutral? Are they totally crazy or so smart?

More gender-neutral stories:

1. Tori Spelling Designs A Gender Neutral Nursery For Her Unborn Baby — She Really DOESN’T Know What Sex She’s Expecting!
  2. Parents Could Be Banned From Finding Out The Sex Of Their Unborn Babies!
  3. Meet Storm — The World’s First Gender-Less Baby!

Kate Cousino

Posted at 4:42 PM on February 20, 2013

What’s ridiculous is thinking that they can help his ‘real’ personality develop by withholding information about anatomy, sexual identity and societal norms from a young child. Children are forever looking to those closest to them for models and feedback on how to behave and how to communicate with the rest of the world – and when a child is ‘encouraged’ in specific clothing and activities, that child will gravitate towards the things that garner approval and positive feedback (whether verbal or unspoken).

Yes, a lot of gender norms are societally arbitrary. There have been plenty of cultures and eras where men wore pink and favored ornamentation, and women have only been able to restrict their labor to child and domestic roles in very wealthy societies. BUT…within a society, conventions of dress and behaviour serve as a kind of language. This child has been raised ‘tone-deaf’ to this language, and that is a disservice. This child has been deprived of the ability to make his own decisions about gender and identity, by being deprived of important information about the society he will have to live and work in.

Katie

Posted at 2:17 PM on February 20, 2013

I think it is contradictory to say that they encourage him to wear flowery tops on the weekend, and then say they don’t push him in any direction. I agree with not pushing gender stereotypes, but I feel that “encouraging him” to wear clothing marketed for females did him a disservice. If this article is accurate, then they did not teach him to be gender neutral, but bi-gendered.

Tina

Posted at 2:10 PM on February 20, 2013

When you use words like encourage, this tells me you are trying to get him to wear more girlie things , then allowing him to choose for himself.

harajukabarbie

Posted at 9:56 PM on June 25, 2012

that is so weird who does tht these ppl r crazy wat kinda person hides their childs gender oooh these ppl r just weird

Judy

Posted at 7:24 PM on March 21, 2012

GENDER NEUTRAL CLOTHEs WILL BE GRAY JUMPSUITS

Kay Watkins

Posted at 2:59 PM on January 24, 2012

This is a healthy, amazing child. Only simple minded people who love to gossip would have any reason to hurt this precious child. God forgive them that hatefulness. The parents have the right to raise their child in any way that they think is best, and I for one would wholeheartedly support them. God gives children who need special love to parents who know how to handle it or can get the help they need. This child is a miracle just like every other child. Parents continue doing what is best for your child. I pray that children have loving parents who will encourage their own children to ignore differences and just treat him as the normal, wonderful child that he is. God bless and pray all works out well.

J Graham

Posted at 9:00 AM on February 21, 2013

They should not be exploiting their child in the media. That is not in the best interest of the child.

Melanie Hutson

Posted at 11:32 AM on January 23, 2012

The victim is clearly the child. The parents have made desicions for him. If they really wanted to use their child as a case study, they would have purchased ALL neutral clothes and when he reached a certain age, let him pick his clothes out at the store. It’s obvious that they are probably athiest, b /c they wouldn’t think that this desicion is in their hands.
I have a girl and a boy. My son is younger and loves to dress up in his sisters stuff..b / c it’s fun and pink.
Does this mean he wants to be a girl, NO! But would I EVER buy him girl clothes at toddler age when they are still learning who they are. Young children look to their parents for direction and guidance. They aren’t mature enough to make their own desicions at infant to toddler age. This should be considered child abuse because their child is going to be so lost! Wake up parents!

Kay Watkins

Posted at 3:20 PM on January 24, 2012

I worked in the Social Services Dept. in the state I live in and trust me, this IS NOT child abuse. If it was my sister-in-law who buys dolls and girl toys for their adopted son would have problems. Just as this child, he will develop into what he will be. Yes it is very different, but the child will decide at a certain age what is right for him just as my nephew. I expect my nephew to be a healthy normal young man when he gets older. No one can make a child a different gender or turn them into homosexuals. They are what they are and will grow up to be what God planned them to be. Just because people have children, does not make them experts in what is best for other children or even their own. We all just do what we think is best. I am sure these parents are very educated on their son’s condition and are doing what is best for him.

Laurie

Posted at 4:05 AM on January 23, 2012

Are these 2 so-called “Parents” male or female? They apparently did want a girl, because Sasha is definately a female name…IDIOTS!!!

kphaurde

Posted at 6:40 PM on January 24, 2012

Actually, Sasha is a diminutive of the Russian names Alexandr (male) or Alexandra (female). It’s gender neutral. I don’t agree with these parents’ decision, but they did choose a gender neutral name.

Samantha Linton

Posted at 2:20 PM on February 20, 2013

Seriously? I wish ignorant people like you had to take a test to be allowed to post in public. Grow up and take your trolling elsewhere.

Saf

Posted at 5:43 PM on January 22, 2012

6.2% of those people who think this is a great idea are dumb weird losers.

Kay Watkins

Posted at 3:07 PM on January 24, 2012

I guess you have a degree that qualifies you to make this decision. Think before you speak and try not to hurt people with your outspoken comments.

KIMORA

Posted at 2:54 PM on January 22, 2012

i know how you fill you can’t

candy

Posted at 2:52 PM on January 22, 2012

i fill pitty for him whan his big he will fill inbaresset

Kay Watkins

Posted at 3:23 PM on January 24, 2012

Don’t ever pity someone. If you can’t help, at least pray. No one needs pity. They need love and acceptance.

Trying to think from their perspective

Posted at 12:25 PM on January 22, 2012

First, let’s think about the website that we are reading the article on – BIAS. There is a very specific idea that some one is trying to show for a particular audience. Moving forward,let’s imagine that the child wasn’t “pushed” by his parents into wearing girl’s clothes or playing with girl’s toys – what if these are things he wanted to do. Most parents wouldn’t be happy about that but here we have an example of parents who are loving and supporting of their child regardless of how he looks or behaves and I think that is something that we need to commend them for. Maybe, the way that they handled it is a bit extreme, but they have brought into light some VERY important issues about gender stereotyping and gender roles, but let’s also think beyond that to intersex children, children who would fall into the LGBTQ group – don’t these children, who may not act according to traditional gender roles deserve the opportunity that Sasha has had to show their real selves?

Gossip Queen

Posted at 12:43 AM on January 22, 2012

I think they should let the child decided. It the parents business and they can do whatever they feel like. I think it totally fine.

tam

Posted at 2:39 PM on January 21, 2012

these people are stupid..they pushed their son towards girl things..playing with dolls dressing like a fairy so much for not followinga sterotype…this woman obviously has a problem with men..she needs to get a clue

Kay Watkins

Posted at 3:11 PM on January 24, 2012

Keep your critical ideas to yourself. You have no idea about anything other than what is written in the story. Just because you are biased does not mean the rest of the world is.

Torimili

Posted at 2:28 PM on January 21, 2012

I have 3 children, 2 girls and a boy. My girls had a lot of pink, princess, “girly” toys left over from their toddler years that my son inherited. Slowly the princess playroom has become VERY boy like because that’s just what he’s interested in. He has full access to Barbies, baby dolls, and a pink playhouse but he’d rather have balls, trains, and matchbox cars anyday (he does still play with their old Barbie laptop). It was proof enough for me that you can’t force a lifestyle on them, children are born how they are. It sounds to me that these parents ARE forcing a gender on their child and like it’s been said in earlier comments, sound like they wanted a girl or a gay boy. I feel for the poor boy, he’s not being allowed to develop his personality on his own, he’s clearly being steered, and that’s going to mess him up.

Aries

Posted at 12:48 PM on January 21, 2012

Actually Hollybaby has failed its readers again with misinformation. The complete article does not sound as bias as this. I thought too that the parents were pressuring their child in one direction until I read further articles.

Krystal

Posted at 6:39 AM on January 21, 2012

This does NOT sound like trying to get him to embrace himself without stereotypes. This sounds like they wanted a little girl. I mean I can’t be for certain but I’m pretty sure making your boy wear skirts and flowery shirts is NOT “gender neutral” Nor is playing with dolls..That is pushing FEMININITY on HIM! It’s one thing for a little boy to decide he likes dolls better then trucks, or skirts better then jeans, but to forcibly make the child play/wear those things is INSANE! These parents need help.

fred

Posted at 3:07 AM on January 21, 2012

AAAAAHH!! BOY IN A SKIRT! BOY IN A SKIRT! RUN FOR THE HILLS!

efrew

Posted at 11:25 PM on January 20, 2012

Making him wears girl’s clothing isn’t really being “gender neutral”

Han

Posted at 12:03 AM on January 21, 2012

Totally agree.

Dre

Posted at 5:39 PM on January 20, 2012

SOMEONE WANTED A GIRL. POOR LITTLE BOY CONFUSED BUT SUCH DUMB PARENTS.

Kay Watkins

Posted at 3:27 PM on January 24, 2012

I don’t even know this child, but I am sure glad that I don’t know these negative responders. Anyone can post something, but it takes more time to learn about the situation. Not necessarily this child, but the child condition. After you have a degree in social work or a medical degree, then maybe you are qualified to understand.

Melissa

Posted at 7:04 AM on February 2, 2012

Do you really want someone with a Phd in Psychology to comment on this? I stumbled across this page after reading other articles about this child. The problem isnt the child dressing or playinh with male or female things, it is the fact that gender specific items are being “encouraged” as the parents are quoted as saying. The child is therefore not choosing or developing without influence. To truly raise a child with a non specific gender to give them achance to develop without gender steretypes they would dress him neutrally and once he was old enough let the child choose clothing from an array of clothing both female, male, and non specific. one would also need a playroom with toys of all types. From birth everything you do to a child impacts their personality…so dressing him in all pinks or blues has an impact even as an infant.

mel

Posted at 4:47 PM on January 20, 2012

I think what they’re doing is confusing him. I don’t understand why they encourage him to wear girls clothing and play with dolls if they want things to be “neutral”. They either wanted a baby girl or a gay boy. They didn’t need to go through all this nonsense, his personality is probably affected by all this crap now.

Elle

Posted at 4:17 PM on January 20, 2012

I don’t think they are being “neutral” about anything. They want him to wear girls clothes and play with dolls but there was not one mention of playing with cars and trucks or wearing “boy clothes”. Sounds to me like they wanted a daughter, got a son, and decided to treat the son as a daughter anyways. They have set this poor BOY up for a lifetime of awkwardness and ridicule.

stella

Posted at 2:55 PM on January 20, 2012

This poor confused kid! He has Freaks for parents!!!

Kay Watkins

Posted at 3:34 PM on January 24, 2012

I sure hope these parents read my responds and know that someone really cares about them and their child. I don’t care what their sexual preference is. These love their son and are doing what they think is best. Before you start criticizing me I am heterosexual and have been happily married to the same wonderful man for 37+ years. I also worked for the Dept. of Social Services as a Caseworker in the state where I live for 29 years. So I think I have some degree of knowledge. Besides I don’t really care what you think of me, just leave this family alone and quit criticizing and judge them. How would you like for people to pick out one of your faults and start criticizing you. God’s word says not to judge lest ye be judged.

ok

Posted at 2:16 PM on January 20, 2012

Sounds like they are pushing him to dress like a girl though…