'The Secret Circle' Recap: So John Blackwell Isn't Dead After All

Thu, January 19, 2012 10:57pm EDT by 41 Comments
Courtesy of The CW

‘The Secret Circle’ served up its biggest twist since Nick’s death — and no, he’s not the one who’s secretly alive.

Is it just me, or has The Secret Circle been on fire (pun intended, whatever) since it returned from hiatus? And the Jan. 19 episode definitely kept the momentum going, as Cassie (Britt Robertson) entered Jake’s (Chris Zylka) memory to find out what really happened the night of the fire — but she ended up learning a lot more than she bargained for.

For staters, it wasn’t the original circle that set the fire — it was the witch hunters. And John Blackwell didn’t burn up like everyone thought. In fact, he may not have died at all. Cassie and Jake paid a little visit to John’s grave and opened up his coffin at the end of the episode, only to discover… an animal skeleton in his coffin!

Mind. Blown.

Meanwhile, Faye (Phoebe Tonkin) spent the episode away from the circle as she continued executing her plot to gain her solo powers. But an annoying obstacle was thrown in her path this week, one by the name of Callum (Michael Graziadei), a not-so-friendly friend of Lee’s (Grey Damon.) Though he ended up supplying her with an “herbal enhancement” to help tap into her powers, he also told her about Lee’s ex-girlfriend Eva. She’s in a coma right now, but if you’ve been keeping track of scoops, you’ll know she won’t be there for long!

And then there was Adam (Thomas Dekker) and Diana (Shelley Hennig), who made a brief attempt to figure out where they stand — even after Adam’s kiss with Cassie last week. They want to figure out how to be friends, but I’m thinking they should just get back together and be done with it. In my mind, Cassie and Jake are the real soul mates on this show. End of story.

Lastly, the adults were up to their own brand of shenanigans this week, as Dawn (Natasha Henstridge) gave Ethan (Adam Harrington) a crystal and sent him after Charles (Gale Harold.) He got what Dawn wanted, but he decided he’ll hold onto it for a while. Maybe he’s not quite as easily manipulated as she thinks!

OK, let’s talk: Will not-dead John Blackwell be a friend or foe? Are you rooting for Faye to get her own powers? And the ever-important question — Do you want Adam to get back with Diana, or keep pursuing Cassie? See you in the comments section!

— Andy Swift

Follow Andy on Twitter for more Secret Circle updates

pap

Posted at 8:57 PM on February 3, 2012

Jake called Faye!!!! Really!!!!! That made me sick!!! He should not give up on Cassie!!! They have sparks….they should be together

Posted at 6:35 PM on January 23, 2012

I think tat Faye should get the powers bc for some odd reason I want to c her get power crazy and go crazy… But then Lee saves her somehow. Bc I think they are really cute together. Although after he saves her she then starts doing the drugs that C. gave her and she gets addicted. She acts really weird again and gives some to Melissa who then takes it too. They both get addicted and the circle trys to help them as Jake and Cassie find her father. But along the way they run unto trouble as Adam’s dad starts using the power of the crystal. But Faye should find out she is the other daughter (I hope she is..idk y..) and she’ll think she can do anything and Lee finds out she’s doing the drugs and takes it personally as he trys to stop her. But she doesn’t like that so she acidently hits him into a wall. And last we see he is knocked out and Faye looks worrieded but her whole eyes turn black and the darkness has taken over. I think that would be cool to see. Maybe have the witch unters approach the circle and have the same exact thing happen to them as it did to their parents but nobody dies. They try to kill Cassie by the fire again but she has the necklace and then Faye comes in and destroys all the witchhunters.. Who agreees this would be awesome?!?!

Kasey

Posted at 4:17 PM on January 22, 2012

I really hope to see Adam and Cassie together, when they kissed I could just see the sparks flying everywhere. And I have a hunch that John Blackwell is secretly in cahoots with Ethan, somehow, someway. Also, I want Dawn to get the heck out. I know she adds a kick to the story, but everytime, I just want to slap her! xD And I’m rooting for Faye and Lee! So much chemistry there! Jake, as hot as he is, needs to go find himself another chick. It’s written in the stars for Adam & Cassie to be together!:D

Posted at 6:43 PM on January 23, 2012

I don’t like Dawn either. I feel like she’s not a fantastic character and she just bores me now. It needs a little more to what she’s doing. Kinda like a cliffhanger about why she wants powers so badly. Like is she trying to kill the circle again? Is she trying to find Blackwell. How did she get out of the fire? They said she was above on deck. Whjy wasn’t she killed? How’d she escape?

I think Ethan was not hiding John but anything is possible. I think that he didn’t like him and set him up to be there and that’s why HE got to escape. Bc he wanted Ameila for himself and mabe when John betrayed Ameila it was when he had Faye with Dawn. If so then Dawns character would be “better” bc she would use the magic to get her black powers and maybe Fayes.

I disagree, I think Jake and Cassie should be togheter. Bc Adam and Cassie are said to be written in the stars but they both love each other and other ppl. But I feel like Adam and Cassie would be related somehow and they are supose to be toghether through their power not in love love like dating but through magic.

Kim

Posted at 1:17 PM on January 25, 2012

But Adam is just really not that hot xD – I actually find him annoying and overprotective towards Cassie, she can take care of herself!

lala

Posted at 11:26 PM on January 27, 2012

omg yes i totally agree! he acts like shes his girlfriend but shes not, so leave her alone!
CASSIE AND JAKE <333333333333
itd be too boring if it was adam and cassie!
CASSIE AND JAKE TOGETHER! JASSIE! CAKE! <333333333333

Sab

Posted at 11:23 AM on January 22, 2012

I think tht cassies mom
Had an affair with adams dad, and cassies rlly related 2 adam and his father. But then its got me 2 realize how does cassie have dark madgic, well there are 2 explanations. 1 her “dad” gave her the dark madgic. Or cassie belongs 2 both fathers

Posted at 6:49 PM on January 23, 2012

Both fathers? Hmmmm, good ideas. I was thinking some of those stuff too but then I realzied they all had kids before the fire. Ameila said John betrayed her. How did he do that though? Did he hook up with Dawn and thats why Faye had dark magic? Or did he do something worse? Worse with his magic. I think Cassie might be related to Adam too but not from Blackwell. I think Ameila and John had Cassie but Ameilia and Ethan too had Adam. But they didn’t want anyone to know Bc it seems pretty obvious that neither Dawn nor Jane knows almost anything about what happened in their friends/families lives that week or two.

Sam

Posted at 9:54 PM on January 21, 2012

I also keep thinking about who that girl was on the boat who was able to see Cassie. I also wonder if Adam’s Dad is really Cassie’s Dad and he somehow stole Adam’s Dad’s likeness/identity with his dark magic and stayed under the radar until now. It makes sense. He’s an alcoholic because he blames himself for all of the other parent’s deaths.

Posted at 6:54 PM on January 23, 2012

I wondered about that too. I didn’t know if it was important cause it seemed like they wanted you to forget about her. But I couldn’t help thinking it seemed like she knew what was going to happened and was trapped, reliving that moment. Bc she tried to warn Cassie. I’m pretty sure it was the same girl who Jake’s mom said why are you here? She appeared so fast in front of Cassie and then dissaperared. I couldn’t help thinking she should be important. It might be a little cliffhanger but nobody really remembers them very well.

And thats a good thought. But I think that Ethan was walking the opposite way and didnt have a robe on or anything when John was already tied to a post. It was within a minute if even that when he was in the witch hunters arms. I don’t think Evan the withhunter who slashed Jake’s dad’s throat would let him pass by like that if he knew it was John Blackwell. And I have a theory that Ethan led the witchhunters to John bc he wanted Ameilia all for himself and loved her. Maybe she was carrying Adam then too. Nobody knows about that part if they were related or not but Ethan blames himself bc he let all of his circle die. Including his wife bc he was there and the witchhunter looked at him and didn’t even try to grab him. Why not? Bc he was helping them somehow.

Hey

Posted at 9:13 PM on January 21, 2012

I love this series it should be on demand

Posted at 6:55 PM on January 23, 2012

I agree with that statement. It should also be on Netflix

Mongruella

Posted at 1:52 PM on January 27, 2012

You can get the season pass for it on Itunes. I think I paid $23. I’m not even sure when it’s on TV. Anyways, it downloads to your device the day after it airs.

Kari

Posted at 7:50 PM on January 20, 2012

At this point I think everybody would have been better off if it were Faye that died instead of Nick. She is too selfish and is a real danger to the circle.

Posted at 6:59 PM on January 23, 2012

That’s the point. Who was Nick? He wasn’t dark and wasn’t a witch hunter. But Jake was. Jake needed to get into the story line and he wouldn’t come back unless he was drawn back by his brothers death and the circle. Faye could have dark magic and she is definetleey my favorite character. She adds umph to the story. She makes tthings exciting bc she is a danger. When she took everyone’s powers it showed how much darkness was in her and how much she could let out and be exciting. It also shows how they are all turning on her like they turned on John Blackwell. What is Dawn and John had an affair and had Faye. She would be very dark bc she enjoys ppower. If she died wed have no Jake or witch hunting or leading on to John Blackwells non death. Itd be boring. If they brought him back from the dead it add more to it also but what would happen to Jake. Who would get the power?

keri

Posted at 3:42 PM on January 20, 2012

Ok…so I think John Blackwell will b a friend to the circle…but with this show who knows! I mean after all Jake could b the other child of Blackwell and ruin my dreams of him and cassie ever being together..I will just try not to think about that. AND I really don’t care if Adam and Diana get back together as long as Adam realizes that Cassie belongs with Jake! I also wonderabout the girl who could see cassie on the boat and how she is going to play into all of this. I hate we have to wait another 2 weeks for another TSC FIX!!!!

Sab

Posted at 11:38 AM on January 22, 2012

Dont worrie, i hardly doubt tht jake and cassie are brother and sister, i think its adam and cassie who are related

Posted at 7:03 PM on January 23, 2012

It makes me angry too that Jake and Cassie won’t be together already. And if you read my comments above you will see my opnions on who the other child is and whos related to who but I believe that John Blackwell knows Cassie was hunted down by withces. Jk I made that up I really don’t have a clue about him. But I do think that the other Blackwell is Faye. Bc Jake has no relation to Cassie or their parents. You could see how muc hthey lved each other and I don’t think they would have an affair to have Jake or Nick. I wondered about that girl too. I thought maybe she was trapped and reliving in that moment and maybe she was the other Blackwell. She appeared like Magic and warned Cassie like she knew what would happen. Jake’s mom said what r udoing here to her if im thinking of the same girl.

tedsgal

Posted at 11:57 AM on January 20, 2012

I have a sneaky feeling Blackwell has taken over Adam’s dad. Or at least is in cahoots with him. Ethan was the only one not killed on the boat(besides Blackwell). And he told Cassie she didn’t want to “go there”. Ethan has to be involved otherwise he wouldn’t be a drunk to try to forget it all.

Posted at 7:07 PM on January 23, 2012

I think that Ethan was not in cahoots bc he walked out as Evan, the witch hunter, watched him and didn’t try to stop him at all. They made eye contact even. I think that he turned Blackwell into them and blames himself bc everyone died in that fire besides Blackwell. But Idon’t think he knows that. Other wise he wouldn’t trash talk him. Right?

James

Posted at 7:54 AM on January 20, 2012

Dawn did not give Ethan a crystal.  The crystal she has doesn’t work.  Hello?  That’s the entire problem. Ethan cold-cocked Charles and took away his.  And some of us are pretty sick of how helpless the show keeps making Gale Harold.  He’s too charismatic not to be a badass.

Natasha

Posted at 3:55 AM on January 20, 2012

This was such an amazing episode! But there’s something that’s playing with my mind. Why could that woman see Cassie in Jake’s memory? And who was she and is she still alive?
I also think that Cassie and Jake are soul mates and Diana and Adam should be together!
I can not wait for the day when we see John Blackwell, looking forward to the next episode!

Posted at 7:10 PM on January 23, 2012

I agree again great episode. It would be a good finale. If they didn’t show the bones and so we would want to know and then Cassie looks away dramatically. I was also pondering that girl. It’s like she knew what was going to happen and warned Cassie to get out and then the door locked on Cassie after she ran out. But she popped up like magic. I thought the girl was kinda trapped in that memory or something. Jake’s mother knew her though. I agree with that. I also think Faye and Lee should get together. That leaves Melissa. I feel like she’s no point to the storyline really. waht are they going to do with her.

chellsea.xo

Posted at 3:53 AM on January 20, 2012

i’ve read the books, so Cassie & Adam have to end up together! End of story. :)

keri

Posted at 3:45 PM on January 20, 2012

I have not read all the books but I have read enough to know that the show is different enough for Adam and Cassie not to end up together!

Hey

Posted at 9:16 PM on January 21, 2012

Thx 4 ruining it chellesa.xo

Posted at 7:11 PM on January 23, 2012

Tv Shows don’t always go by the books bc they try to grab your attention more then a books would. Even though books are usually better then shows. Anything can happen though.

Cam

Posted at 1:30 PM on January 25, 2012

Maybe they end up in the books – but I don’t like them in the show.. Besides, Jake aren’t written in the books, is he? :) And to be honest, Jake looks waaaay hotter!

cutie

Posted at 11:35 PM on January 27, 2012

NO cassie should be with jake! i hate how adam acts and trys to control cassie. she can do what she wants. she should be with jake!
Jake and cassie <3 forever <2

stacey

Posted at 1:22 AM on January 20, 2012

Wow. New episode was awesome! Cant wait to find out more about cassies dad, do we already know him? I think cassie and jake should be given a chance, but is he really only there to help? Feb 2 seems to long to wait!

Posted at 7:13 PM on January 23, 2012

Everyone knows that Jake and Cassie have feelings for each other. Its just a matter of time before something happens b/t them though and then a big cliffhanger opens up and they can’t be together bc thats how the show keeps ppl wanting more.

Lux

Posted at 12:05 AM on January 20, 2012

YEAH!!! Great episode! I’m rooting for Cassie and Jake to end up together and also for Diana to be the other Blackwell’s daughter o/! I’d be amazing!!!

Posted at 7:15 PM on January 23, 2012

I’d?

Diana would be the worst Blackwell’s daughter I think. I think this bc I don’t like her character very much. She is to nice and she lets her feelings get in the way of everything. Im hoping Faye bc shes more of the one to take action and do something about Cassie always getting everything. They might have to fight to death. But Faye would do it. Cassie might not. UNless darkness took over.

Mongruella

Posted at 2:01 PM on January 27, 2012

I think it will be Diana, and something will happen to make her the new bad girl. Faye is too easy of a guess.

ekky

Posted at 11:46 PM on January 19, 2012

i want nick to return and let adam be with cassie,jake with faye,mellisa with nick,diana with mellisa’s cousin.

Posted at 7:17 PM on January 23, 2012

If Nick returns what happens to Jake? Is he done now that his memory is in Cassies? Melissa doesn’t seem like a big part of the story. We don’t even know who her parents are. We’ve never heard of them. They could be anyone. But Adam and Cassie are bad together. THey hurt lots of ppl and are confused and too dramatic.

Liv09

Posted at 11:37 PM on January 19, 2012

OMG can’t believe he’s not dead! but most important I can’t believe that Cassie and Jake are not back together, i mean adam? really?? he’s not even cute!

Cam

Posted at 1:32 PM on January 25, 2012

Agreed!!! :)

Alyse

Posted at 10:57 PM on January 19, 2012

Yay Jake! I’m so happy/confused/anxious that Cassie’s dad is alive I couldn’t tell from the flashback isfahan he was bad or good, we learned he some how betrayed Amelia though. Faye and Lee have some great genus try together and I totally approve of them as a couple. Adam and Diana just need to get back together, when they first broke up she wanted to be just friends now he’s saying he same lines. I love Cassie and Jake! They have such incredible chemistry and he’s in live with her! I just want them to get together already!

Posted at 7:19 PM on January 23, 2012

Cassie’s dad, John Blackwell, being alive could lead to many things. I feel like Ethan turned Blackwell in. And thats why he blames himslef but lots of ppl died that he didn’t want to die. And Ethan didn’t betray Amelia, Blackwell did. Maybe he had an affair and theres another Blackwell in the circle. I hope it’s Faye. I want Faye and Lee to be together. I want him to save her somehow after she goes power crazy.

Cam

Posted at 1:36 PM on January 25, 2012

You are saying something :o – I never thought of that, but it totally makes sense! Ethan was jealous and had a chance to get revenge – and turned him in! :)