'One Tree Hill' Season 9 Scoop: Nathan Is 'Powerless To Control His Fate'

Wed, January 18, 2012 4:10pm EDT by 52 Comments
Courtesy of The CW

James Lafferty tells HollywoodLife.com about the ‘bad situation’ Nathan gets into & reveals his favorite storyline from the series.

The final season of One Tree Hill is going to be an intense one for all of our favorite characters, but it sounds like Nathan (James Lafferty) is going to have a particularly rough go of things. And since we’ve all heard the rumors about his mysterious disappearance from Tree Hill,  HollywoodLife.com couldn’t help but ask him for more details.

“Nathan gets into a situation where he’s powerless to control his fate, which is not something he’s used to dealing with,” James tells us. “It’s probably his biggest test yet.”

But before he makes his temporary exit from Tree Hill, Nathan will have dear old daddy Dan (Paul Johansson) to deal with, which is another storyline James promises gets… tricky.

“Things escalate between Dan and Nathan, but in a way the audience might not anticipate,” adding that there will be closure for their father-son relationship, “but I can’t say whether it will be one of love or hate.”

Oh snap.

Read on for the rest of my interview with James…

I know part of Nathan’s drama includes him disappearing for a while. Will that be connected to anything we’ve seen already in the series?

“I can say it’s pretty new stuff. Nathan gets immersed in a world he’s not that familiar with and gets himself into a bad situation. There aren’t any skeletons coming out of the closet to haunt him. It’s a new curveball for him to deal with.”

Even though you’re M.I.A. for part of the season, will we still get quality Nathan/Haley scenes?

“I shot eight episodes of the 13 episodes, but they’re scattered throughout the 13. So yes, his presence will be felt pretty constantly.”

What’s it like, for the first time, being done with an entire season before it airs?

“It’s going to be interesting to be able to sit back and watch the work that’s been done. We’re all going to enjoy it.”

If you could steal one thing from the set, what would it be?

“From a materialistic standpoint, I’d want to take Nathan’s Range Rover. That thing’s bad ass. But for sentimental purposes, the best things I got to keep were a couple of the Ravens jerseys. I have them mounted. Those are going to be the things I look back on most fondly.”

Wait, you mounted them? You won’t put one on and play basketball in your driveway?

“Maybe alone, when I want to relive the glory days.”

Speaking of the glory days, do you have a favorite storyline from the past nine seasons?

“I think the most fun I’ve ever had in my life was the SlamBall arc on the show. It was something different and out of left field, but we had so much fun. It was the most exhilarating thing I’ve ever done. It was a huge challenge to gain the skill set, but I feel like I got pretty good at it. I’ve never had more fun doing anything than playing on the slamball court. I’ll have those memories forever.”

OK, your turn to talk: Any guesses as to why Nathan suddenly disappears from Tree Hill? Do you think he could really be the corpse alluded to on the season premiere? How would you like to see the series end for him and Haley? See you in the comments section!

— Andy Swift

Follow Andy on Twitter for more One Tree Hill scoop

OTH FAN

Posted at 9:28 PM on February 22, 2012

I really don’t want nathan to die. That would be the worst ending ever. They make it seem like he is but I don’t think he really will. The whole morgue part is probably just a dream or something like that. It would be devastating to see him die but it’s all probably just a lie and they are probably just trying to scare people if u know what I mean

Therese

Posted at 9:25 PM on February 22, 2012

I’m thinking that it either chase or chris. By either helping brooke with xaiver or helping with chucks dad who may be beating him. But I would say chase because he looks like nathan this season. So when haley has to go to the morgue she is happy its not nate but hurt that it is chase. We no lucas is just coming to get the kids and I know quinns ex comes back too so could be him cause hailey has always liked him which could be upsetting as well. Or deb is coming back too and she is all worlds of crazy. This is OTH anything could happen. What does everyone think?

Kat

Posted at 9:22 PM on February 22, 2012

I hope he doesn’t die

Linard

Posted at 9:18 PM on February 22, 2012

I think it’s going to be Dan.. in an attempt to save Nathan’s life.

random

Posted at 5:52 PM on February 18, 2012

soo.. this is my opinion.. i’m in the middle of watching episode 6 at the moment and I personally think it’s mouth who’s gonna die.. I mean they say it’s not a main character but he’s been there since the beginning & it’s someone close to haley sooo I think it’s gonna be Mouth who dies.. BUT let’s just wait and see ;)

A

Posted at 8:39 PM on February 22, 2012

I don’t know what you’ve been reading, but the spoilers I’ve read said that it WAS going to be a main character who dies.

Blue

Posted at 5:29 AM on February 17, 2012

Here is what I think:

1. I think that Nathan is NOT dead, and that Haley’s reaction when she looks into the corpse is one of relief that it is not Nathan. I reckon that Lucas just came back to comfort Haley and Jamie, and to say a last goodbye to the series.

2. Lucas might be dead, he might of come back to find Nate, but then gotten killed in the process and Haley had to go and identify him since Peyton and Nathan aren’t there and Dan has been banned or something. Not as realistic, but it is One Tree Hill!

Sean

Posted at 10:17 AM on February 16, 2012

Has anyone considered maybe haley was dreaming cause nates missing and the morgue was a nightmare? If someone does die im betting its deb

Kara

Posted at 9:54 PM on February 15, 2012

I think Quinn is in the body bag because Clays condition gets worse and he looses it and kils Quinn in his sleep by accident

shoko

Posted at 1:18 PM on February 13, 2012

I pray Nathan lives.but it’s cool having Lucas back,he’s my favorite

Rachelle

Posted at 9:32 PM on February 8, 2012

k so this is what i’m thinking. I know it looks like nathan but look at it from this point.

Nathan gets kidnapped, Dan saves nathan ( by killing someone ) nathan haley the kids and dan are all good, since dan has showed that hes a better person and because he saved nathan and haley and jamie in the past. Then someone kills dan. Lucas then comes back because he wants to console his nephew who loves his grandpa, and because he thinks dad was a better person since he saved nathan. Like they said in the spoilers, the person who dies is not a main charactor but someone whos been there since the begining.

Sam

Posted at 6:10 PM on February 7, 2012

Nathan doesn’t die Lucas comes back to come look for Nathan

Linz

Posted at 3:26 PM on February 6, 2012

It has to be someone who was close to Lucas to die because that will be the reason lucas comes back. Lucas wouldn’t come back because Dan died or Kris Keller or clay. Put haileys reaction combined with the Lucas return..it’ looks like it’s Nathan or Jamie who dies. So sad :(

Maddie

Posted at 9:43 PM on February 22, 2012

I don’t think it’s Nathan or Jamie cause Jamie went with Luke and I don’t think they would ruin the season. I think she is either dreaming or she goes there to look at the body and she starts crying cause she is relieved it isn’t. Nathan.

Ness

Posted at 10:48 AM on February 3, 2012

Nathan Scott is the reason I watch the show. Nathan and Haley scenes are the best!!!I’d be devistated if nathan dies. Nate,Haley,Jamie, and Lydia are the cutest family!Dan needs to die already. “I love you Nathan Scott.”

BlackWiddow

Posted at 6:02 AM on February 2, 2012

I think it’s someone close to Haley, because of her reaction in the promo, but I don’t think it’s Nathan, as that would be too obvious, so maybe Dan?

Madwela

Posted at 9:45 PM on February 22, 2012

I totally agree with this! Naley is always and forever. They wouldn’t make Nathan die..

Reality

Posted at 11:32 PM on February 1, 2012

This is just a TV show. We love all the characters, some more then others.But this is a show about expecting the unexpected. No one know who is going to die, that is the point of the show, to keep everyone guessing. Regardless, it is the last season, so even if it were Nathan, then that would be quite a dramatic ending to a very good show. It is funny that everyone is freaking out thatNathan may die, well no disrespect the show needs a wicked close, and that would be nit. Remeber James Lafferty is actually alive lol

Bib

Posted at 6:07 AM on February 1, 2012

I don’t think anyone of the lead characters is the one that dies. Either Dan or Kris Keller (sorry for the spelling), or Hailey’s sister’s boyfriend (gosh can’t remember his name) or the bartender :) we’ll see, we’ll see (I am so eager to find out :O )

Murf

Posted at 9:42 PM on February 1, 2012

I think Nathan gets taken by Clay’s drug dealer because of Dan’s threats and has to come off of forced drugs. But who is behind the opening of doors and spying on Haley?

Diibbs

Posted at 10:05 PM on February 1, 2012

i think so too !
i think that the drug dealer that Dan spoke to, is out for revenge on Dan’s family, hence the reason for the kidnapping .

brit

Posted at 1:38 PM on January 31, 2012

Just because he’s in the finale doesn’t mean he doesn’t die. If he did it would be sad but what I’ve always liked about this show is their ability to have key elements of reality.

Tami

Posted at 3:46 PM on January 27, 2012

I even named my kids Hailey, Chase and Luke. My niece is named Brooke… Lol… I love this show. I hope everything turns out happy :)

Tami

Posted at 2:19 PM on January 27, 2012

Just a comment to see the replies… I really hope baby Davis isn’t dead. It would absolutely ruin my thought of the last decade I’ve watched the show!! I have twin boys the same age and I absolutely love Brooke!!

Rebecca

Posted at 2:24 AM on January 28, 2012

I agree 100 percent! I was so upset when I saw that! I really want Brooke to have her happily ever after! I am a big fan of Brooke too!

anna

Posted at 9:14 PM on January 26, 2012

i really hope Nathan doesn’t die

Ami

Posted at 3:13 PM on January 24, 2012

When does it come out in uk

Annie Sigal

Posted at 11:02 PM on January 23, 2012

Maybe lucas is the one who dies and that is why he comes back like he is back for a few episodrs and then he gets killed or something but idk in the show it definately seems like nAte is going to die because he is always like ill b around forever or dan say like not f

Annie

Posted at 11:04 PM on January 23, 2012

Its definately like foreshadowing

Brooke Davis

Posted at 11:23 AM on January 23, 2012

He doesn’t die…The morgue ep is ep 11 and he is in the finale which is ep 13.

kayla

Posted at 11:03 PM on January 31, 2012

How do you know, and who dies? also do you know who gets married?

Macie

Posted at 3:20 PM on January 22, 2012

I think him and Haley should stay on definitely because if he leaves I will never watch this show again!!!

me

Posted at 9:03 PM on February 1, 2012

umm… this is the last season, so they wouldnt need you to watch anymore…

Jaimee

Posted at 7:34 PM on January 21, 2012

If Nathan dies I’ll be so depressed he is my favorite character

Dawn

Posted at 2:21 AM on January 28, 2012

I totally agree. He is the bessttt !!! If he dies that is complete bullshit. The show turns to shit!’!!

Dawn

Posted at 2:25 AM on January 28, 2012

NathAn is the most amazing character on the show. Do not cut him out. What are you thinking ????

Nina♥

Posted at 10:51 PM on January 31, 2012

Nathan can not die we do not know will not be boring One Tree Hill!I love Nathan and Haley, Jamie and Lydia Scott Family … I Love Scott♥♥♥♥

xsexybx

Posted at 9:48 AM on February 3, 2012

It’s doesn’t matter what happens in the show to the characters because the actors and actresses are still alive and not only are we half way thru the season the series is ended. Complaining won’t help the show is done all episodes were filmed months ago. So the characters fates were already decided and in motion.