'One Tree Hill' Season 9 Scoop: Nathan Is 'Powerless To Control His Fate'

Wed, January 18, 2012 4:10pm EDT by 52 Comments
Courtesy of The CW

James Lafferty tells HollywoodLife.com about the ‘bad situation’ Nathan gets into & reveals his favorite storyline from the series.

The final season of One Tree Hill is going to be an intense one for all of our favorite characters, but it sounds like Nathan (James Lafferty) is going to have a particularly rough go of things. And since we’ve all heard the rumors about his mysterious disappearance from Tree Hill,  HollywoodLife.com couldn’t help but ask him for more details.

“Nathan gets into a situation where he’s powerless to control his fate, which is not something he’s used to dealing with,” James tells us. “It’s probably his biggest test yet.”

But before he makes his temporary exit from Tree Hill, Nathan will have dear old daddy Dan (Paul Johansson) to deal with, which is another storyline James promises gets… tricky.

“Things escalate between Dan and Nathan, but in a way the audience might not anticipate,” adding that there will be closure for their father-son relationship, “but I can’t say whether it will be one of love or hate.”

Oh snap.

Read on for the rest of my interview with James…

I know part of Nathan’s drama includes him disappearing for a while. Will that be connected to anything we’ve seen already in the series?

“I can say it’s pretty new stuff. Nathan gets immersed in a world he’s not that familiar with and gets himself into a bad situation. There aren’t any skeletons coming out of the closet to haunt him. It’s a new curveball for him to deal with.”

Even though you’re M.I.A. for part of the season, will we still get quality Nathan/Haley scenes?

“I shot eight episodes of the 13 episodes, but they’re scattered throughout the 13. So yes, his presence will be felt pretty constantly.”

What’s it like, for the first time, being done with an entire season before it airs?

“It’s going to be interesting to be able to sit back and watch the work that’s been done. We’re all going to enjoy it.”

If you could steal one thing from the set, what would it be?

“From a materialistic standpoint, I’d want to take Nathan’s Range Rover. That thing’s bad ass. But for sentimental purposes, the best things I got to keep were a couple of the Ravens jerseys. I have them mounted. Those are going to be the things I look back on most fondly.”

Wait, you mounted them? You won’t put one on and play basketball in your driveway?

“Maybe alone, when I want to relive the glory days.”

Speaking of the glory days, do you have a favorite storyline from the past nine seasons?

“I think the most fun I’ve ever had in my life was the SlamBall arc on the show. It was something different and out of left field, but we had so much fun. It was the most exhilarating thing I’ve ever done. It was a huge challenge to gain the skill set, but I feel like I got pretty good at it. I’ve never had more fun doing anything than playing on the slamball court. I’ll have those memories forever.”

OK, your turn to talk: Any guesses as to why Nathan suddenly disappears from Tree Hill? Do you think he could really be the corpse alluded to on the season premiere? How would you like to see the series end for him and Haley? See you in the comments section!

— Andy Swift

Follow Andy on Twitter for more One Tree Hill scoop

Laura

Posted at 5:39 PM on April 23, 2012

I think its because Dan went to the drug dealer about clay I would like it to be a happy ending but also unexpected because I don’t want Nathan to die but if it was happy id be a bit disappointed in it…xx

dubstep

Posted at 1:43 AM on April 13, 2012

I do consider all of the concepts you’ve offered in your post. They are really convincing and can definitely work. Still, the posts are very brief for starters. May just you please prolong them a bit from next time? Thanks for the post.

rachel

Posted at 6:46 PM on March 13, 2012

I don’t think its Nathan that Haley has to I.d. I think its someone else and that’s the shock of her having to deal with everything

Lkc

Posted at 9:34 PM on March 7, 2012

I hope nathen don’t die because if he leaves the show won’t be that good I LOVE thise show soooo much Plz if Thers anyway to keep thise show on PLZ do I have been watching the beingin shows and they have been really good so PLZ think abt what I Sade and email back thx soooo much for reading

felicia

Posted at 11:35 AM on March 1, 2012

I want dan and julian to save nathan in europe, and I want them to also hurt xavier,

Kylie

Posted at 8:38 AM on February 27, 2012

Nathan does not die this week. Because hailey teams up with Dan in the episode after that to help find Nathan. So it’s obviously not Dan or Nathan, or Lucas because he was only suppost to be in one episode. And I read on E news that we should know who dies by episode 10. Dan found a clue in the video Nathan sent Jamie and knew it wAsnt a good sign so he must be finding a lead! Something doesn’t add up about clay, Quinn calls him Sergio! I think his split personality sergio is the one doing all of this to Nathan. Why else we he have so many seens and in everyone of them Nathan gets brought up! Then when quinn finds him walking down the street after mouth tells him nathan is missing, I think he was going to the place where the bad guys have Nathan. Just a thought!

Kaitlyn

Posted at 4:22 PM on February 26, 2012

I think Brooke is gonna die, Because they released Q’s killer, Which is also Brookes attacker, And she told them he didn’t change. Sooooo, Brooke??

Mary

Posted at 9:22 PM on February 26, 2012

I think they did that to throw us off the trail. I think it’s Dan.

Tiffani

Posted at 10:52 PM on February 23, 2012

PLEASe dont let Nathan die. It will completely ruin the show and not make me wanna watch it anymore and I already wish this wasnt the last season. I spent 2months straight watchin back to back episodes of OTH just to get caught up. All this waiting is to much.

Juliet

Posted at 10:55 PM on February 22, 2012

I am so sad if Nathan dies he has 2 kids and he is such a good dad

Sam

Posted at 10:14 PM on February 22, 2012

Skills I’m pretty sure is the one found dead. He is supposed to come back for an episode.

Maddie

Posted at 9:55 PM on February 22, 2012

Alright so I seriously don’t think anyone dies because I was watching the promo and everyone crying were from old episodes.not season 9. Where they show the casket is when quinten fields dies and that’s his funeral! And in next weeks episode where Haley has to go to the morgue to identify a body I think she is crying because she is relieved it’s not Nathan! Nathan is a very important part of the show I seriously don’t think they would make him be the one who dies.

Morgan

Posted at 8:52 AM on February 23, 2012

I don’t think Nathan will die. He is one of the lead characters, and the season just started so why would they ruin it that early. Well I hope he don’t die but we’ll have to find out next week. Suspense rising.

Maddie

Posted at 9:38 PM on February 22, 2012

If Nathan dies it will ruin the season. Everyone will be devistated! He has Jamie and Lydia and Haley and everyone else that cares so so so much for him. He is a strong man and I don’t think he dies. But I don’t think it’s Dan either cause Haley wouldn’t cry that much over Dan. When it shows Haley walking up to the corpse I think she starts to cry because she is relieved it’s not Nathan!