Lauren Scruggs Was Warned By Pilot Before Walking Into Propeller

Tue, January 17, 2012 8:18pm EDT by 7 Comments
Lauren Scruggs Update

In a new report from the National Transportation Safety Administration, the pilot of the plane that hurt model Lauren Scruggs speaks out for the first time about what happened Dec. 3

The pilot of Lauren Scruggs‘ plane that tragically destroyed her left hand and eye and caused several other major injuries when she walked into the live propeller is speaking out for the first time and explaining what happened on that tragic day.

Pilot Curt Richmond told air officials he tried to stop the 23-year-old model from traveling in front of the small plane but yelling at her and using physical force.

“Upon noticing that she was exiting in front of the strut, the pilot leaned out of his seat and placed his right hand and arm in front of her to divert her away from the front of the airplane and the propeller,” a report released by the National Transportation Safety Administration explains.

It adds, “He continued to keep his arm extended and told the passenger that she should walk behind the airplane.”

Lauren is still recovering from the horrifying accident, but recently thanked everyone for their support throughout the past month.

“I don’t know how to thank each one of you,” Lauren wrote. “Properly, for so much love during this difficult incident in my life. My heart is so grateful beyond what I could ever imagine. So thank you dearly for the sweet encouragements, the precious words in letters and messages, the beautiful grace in pretty presents, but mostly I am so SO thankful for you and your loving hearts and sweet spirits.”

Our hearts go out to Lauren and her family and we wish her a speedy recovery.

More Lauren Scruggs News:

1. Lauren Scruggs’ Community Raises $10,000 For Her Recovery
  2. Model Lauren Scruggs Christmas Miracle: Her Latest news ‘Positive, Hungry And Cheery
  3. Lauren Scruggs Now Exercising Regularly & Dressing Herself

Lizbeth Harrington

Posted at 2:59 PM on November 20, 2013

First, may I say that I am happy to read that this young lady is doing so well. Very traumatic accident. I must say though, I have never heard of anyone walking into the propeller of a plane. One, I believe it’s common sense that you walk AWAY from the propeller. Secondly, she was strongly warned and directed by the pilot. So, why would a seemingly educated person just walk right into a moving propeller?? I have exited many private planes and sometimes, the propellers are still moving. I have even traveled with others’ children–they knew to exit to back of plane. Perhaps the full story will never be released. Perhaps this young lady was intoxicated to some degree?? That is the only thing I can think of…it just makes no sense. It is unfortunate for the pilot, etc…to be sued for this young woman’s mistake, irresponsibility, or whatever you may call it. Lesson to put out there is be aware, be a responsible adult.

BG

Posted at 8:00 PM on January 19, 2012

So I just heard about this today on TV *yeah I know I’m a little bit behind on the times.* How do you walk into a propeller?? This just doesn’t make sense…she should’ve listened to the pilot…after all, he his a trained professional!! The situation sucks, but at the same time, if should would’ve listened to the pilot, she would be in this situation.

Kathy Miller

Posted at 1:21 PM on January 19, 2012

I am so glad Lauren is alive and still able to be herself. I was on an ill-fated flight from CHI-O’Hare to SBN years ago when a baggage attendant accidently walked into an active prop (to load some last-minute luggage). She left behind some young kids…My heart goes out to the entire Scruggs family, for their positive attitudes shown thru this tragedy. With their encouragement, Lauren can still be a positive force in this world. Best wishes for getting back to being yourself. Stay positive!

Tony

Posted at 1:52 PM on January 18, 2012

I knew there was more to this than what Lauren herself is willing to tell. I was taking some unfair heat over my comments, but knew there was more to this incident. People just don’t walk into propellers day or night unless they are not sober. It wasn’t God’s plan for her life either. God gave Lauren ears to hear and eyes to see…and a mind that should have been sober. I just wish Lauren and the lawyers would quit trying to scapegoat safety issues, pilot error…etc. Come clean Lauren! Tell everyone what really happened that night. Still wish you well, but just come clean. There is a greater lesson to be learned here for all when the whole matter is brought to light for all to see.

lolanyc

Posted at 10:15 AM on January 18, 2012

why are people so mean? Ok so yes I think its her fault not the pilots. I mean if a plane is still running.. WALK AWAY! dont walk right next to it. you dont “hang out” on the tar mat. thats why when planes let people off sometimes from teh back on the tar mat we all walk in a line and everyone keeps going. To be safe! She didnt follow procedure. Say goodbye to the pilot while your IN the plane! He cant hear u anyways from outside! Plus it was dark right? who the heck was she waving to? Sounds so dumb. Sounds like she was drunk or out of it cuz who does that? Hopefully the pilot doesnt get blammed for her stupidity.

c

Posted at 9:39 AM on January 18, 2012

i called from the beginning that she’s a moron! now I’m being proven right.. thanks HL!

tigger125

Posted at 7:43 AM on January 18, 2012

ok now why do you have to learn how to walk again….maybe because you didn’t walk where yu were supposed to stupid cunt