Betty White's 90th Birthday Party Special — Watch The Opening Musical Number

Mon, January 16, 2012 8:13pm EDT by 37 Comments
Courtesy of NBC

‘Betty White’s 90th Birthday: A Tribute To America’s Golden Girl’ airs Jan. 16 at 8 p.m., and we’ve got your first look!

Considering Betty White has been a staple on American television since 1945 — I’d do the math, but my head would literally explode — it’s only fitting America should throw her the ultimate 90th birthday party… on television. That’s right, Hollywood is honoring Betty with a star-studded TV special Jan. 16 on NBC. So strap on your pearls and tie your bonnets up tight; it’s time to celebrate grandma-style!

Some of Betty’s most memorable co-stars, from the ladies of Hot in Cleveland to the legendary Mary Tyler Moore, will pay tribute to the eternal Golden Girl with jokes, stories, and of course, musical numbers! Plus, she even gets a beautiful birthday cake made by Betty Crocker, who was also celebrating HER 90th birthday.

Watch the opening performance from tonight’s Betty White birthday special below, then hit up the comments section to tell us YOUR personal favorite Betty White character, project, or — if you can choose one — memorable moment:

Click To Read Our Recap Of The Betty White Birthday Special

More Betty White News:

1. Betty Reveals What It Was Like Sitting Next To R-Patz At People’s Choice Awards
  2. What Do Kim K., Betty White & The JoBros All Have In Common?
  3. Watch Betty White & More Perform At The Emmy Awards!

Mrs. L

Posted at 2:54 PM on January 17, 2012

My mom and I are avid fans of Betty White .. she is awesome.. we missed her 90th. Birthday Special .. will it be aired again on another date? .. we were
looking so forward to seeing it .. Hope so much it re-airs ..

Scott

Posted at 1:17 PM on January 17, 2012

This was the CLOSING performance not the opening.

mrs. Garcia

Posted at 12:50 PM on January 17, 2012

I misses it also, please say u will re-air. :D

JOANNE

Posted at 12:39 PM on January 17, 2012

I fell asleep and missed the 90th birthday bash for betty white will there be an repeat of the show at anytime soon…Please say there will be I forgot to set my DVR….Please replay it….

Mary Beth

Posted at 11:35 AM on January 17, 2012

Where was Richard Dawson? He and Betty appeared frequently on “Match Game” in the 70’s.

JOANNE

Posted at 12:36 PM on January 17, 2012

sorry but richard dawson is DEAD!

A

Posted at 1:36 PM on January 17, 2012

Richard Dawson is not dead. FYI

Linda

Posted at 10:08 AM on January 17, 2012

My tv did NOT record the show and I missed it! Where can I view the complete show?

Beth Doucette

Posted at 10:05 AM on January 17, 2012

Wonderful!! I missed this show but I am one of Betty’s most avid fans. I have loved her since she was on TV with Allen Ludden, her husband:-) My very favorite series was and is The Golden Girls but it is on too late at nite now so can’t enjoy as before. but I do watch Hot In Cleveland and enjoy but not as much as ThevGolden Girls.

Thank you, Betty, and please continue to entertain for another 90 years:-):-):-) WE LOVE YOU!!:-):-) You are my idol:-) I am turning 74 next month and retired when I turned 70 and miss working as I, like you loved working!!:-):-)

Tara

Posted at 9:50 AM on January 17, 2012

Happy 90th Betty you are still so great at making us smile.

kim Meredith

Posted at 7:37 AM on January 17, 2012

Happy birthday. Stay young

JUNJUN

Posted at 2:58 AM on January 17, 2012

With all that being said, Happy 90th Birthday to you Mrs. Betty White. Congratulations. Heres to Many More Lively birthdays to come. A toast and congrats.

JUNJUN

Posted at 2:56 AM on January 17, 2012

SHE ACTUALLY GETS AROUND BETTER THAN MOST OF THE YOUNG SCUM on the HOLLYWOOD STRIP. She has a Vegas showgirl personality but an Angellic Heart. She caters to the animals in every community and she just brings such a glisten to the screen of today and yesterday. I think that the American television audience has been made so much more believable with her presence. From Date with the Angels, back in the 1950s to the Golden Girls episodes of the 1980s, she has continually brought joy to millions of people. I think some of her most memorable performances were when she used to sang for American television audiences before most in this generation were even born.

Patty fitzgerald

Posted at 11:31 PM on January 16, 2012

Happy 90th birthday betty you are one funny lady. I hope i look as good as you do on my 90th you are a one of kind there nobody as funny as you are i hope you have a bless 90th birthday we love you betty

luis

Posted at 11:22 PM on January 16, 2012

Happy birthday!!!!

Debbie

Posted at 10:31 PM on January 16, 2012

Happy Birthday Betty!
You are such an inspiration. You are funny, charming, mischievous – all rolled into one cute package. And you love animals to boot! Thanks for making us laugh all these years. Have a wonderful birthday!

Liz

Posted at 10:13 PM on January 16, 2012

betty white, you’re my hero! You are sooooo awesome! 90 amazing blessed years on this earth, sharing your life and your wonderfulness with the world and making us all smile! Much love on your bday girlfriend!!

paulwantage

Posted at 10:11 PM on January 16, 2012

90 happy birthay betty white

Craig Stolte

Posted at 9:53 PM on January 16, 2012

We’ve grown, we’ve learned and we’ve shared but you lady and I mean Lady have brought tears of joy and sorrow to me ,my family and friends and have never made us loose that smile on our face or the one you always seem to share with the world. Mss White I you for all the years , laughs and last night . From me, my family and my friends I wish you my all. And hope to meet you some day mabe we can have lunch at my cousins house .. Cheryl n Haim Saban
Craig Stolte

Ben Throop

Posted at 9:29 PM on January 16, 2012

90 years old and beautiful as ever. She has always been my favourite actress since the first time i saw her sometimes my family teases me for having a crush on her… Happy 90th and many more betty :D

Cassie Baker

Posted at 9:03 PM on January 16, 2012

Everyone loves Betty White because she just let her face be mature and marvelous. -She didn’t mess it up with all kinds of cosmetic surgery. Does anyone seriously want to see Carol Burnett, Cher or Dyan Cannon at 90?

We are starved to see natural looking older people in this country in show business. – Just take a look at all of England’s old Dames.

helllokitty2142

Posted at 8:51 PM on January 16, 2012

happy brithday betty white!! :)

Derek

Posted at 8:48 PM on January 16, 2012

Betty u are remarkable! Your charm and continuous smile
is addicting. Your comedy is no.1 in my books. Keep us laughing:) Happy Birthday cutie.

Barbara

Posted at 8:46 PM on January 16, 2012

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BETTY. Have watched you since b4 you married Allen Ludden. Even watched the Bold & the Beautiful just to see you again. I am growing older right behind you & looking forward to another birthday tribute for you 10 yrs. from now. You certainly make 90yrs. look younger. Keep going….keep us all laughing. WE LOVE YOU MORE & MORE.

Kristy

Posted at 7:24 PM on January 16, 2012

I love Betty White! She is my favorite actress by far. Seriously, how can you look at her and not smile? She has entertained millions and always seems so happy. And still, my favorite line of all time was her in Lake Placid, “If I had a d***, this is where I’d tell you to suck it.” I laugh every time I think of it!

Dolph Young

Posted at 7:23 PM on January 16, 2012

Man hungry Sue Ann Nevins on Mary Tyler Moore is certainly
one of her most funny characters. She seems so unaffected
by her fame and fortune…. it is refreshing. Many happy
returns, and I hope to see her celebrate her 100th.

Shelly

Posted at 3:33 PM on January 16, 2012

Betty looks so good to be 90. She seems to be happy all the time and don’t seem to take anything seriously. Maybe that’s what keep her young looking. I admire her a lot. Happy birthday Betty and may you have many more.