'Once Upon A Time' Recap: A Mysterious Stranger Arrives In Storybrooke

Sun, January 15, 2012 9:26pm EDT by 39 Comments
Courtesy of ABC (3)

Is Storybrooke no longer the one-way street we thought it was?

Ever wonder how the Evil Queen (Lana Parrilla) got her hands on the poisoned apple that took down Snow White? Apparently, she has Hansel and Gretel to thank for it! The Jan. 15 episode of Once Upon A Time revealed the back story of Storybrooke’s most adorable — and murderous — li’l orphans. And like most stories on this show, it was super messed up.

In order to get her hands on the apple, the queen enlisted the help of Hansel and Gretel — though “enlisted” might be too generous a word. She actually kidnapped their dad, then told them she’d help them find him if they journeyed into the house of the Blind Witch (played by the perfectly perfect Emma Caulfield.)

Though the witch was powerful, she was no match for the wonder twins, who managed to lock the visually challenged lunatic in her own oven. That’s when the queen stepped in with her crazy fire powers, and voila! Blind Witch Casserole.

Meanwhile in Storybrooke, Sheriff Emma (Jennifer Morrison) spent her first week on the job trying to track down the twins’ dad, with only a compass to guide her. And yes, I meant that both literally and metaphorically. She managed to find him, but when he told her he wanted nothing to do with them, Regina ordered her to drop them off at separate foster facilities in Boston. But since Emma can’t help but get way too close to the people she works with, she tricked their dad into meeting his kids — and he couldn’t possibly resist their cuteness.

Emma even found time for a little family drama of her own when she told Mary Margaret (Ginnifer Goodwin) about Henry’s (Jared Gilmore) theory that they’re actually related. She thought it was crazy, but something ran through her mind when she stumbled across Emma’s baby blanket. She just doesn’t know what it is yet — which pretty much puts her on the same page (yeah, pun intended) as everyone else in town.

But even with all the witch-burning and paternity drama, the biggest shock of the entire episode came at the very end when Emma and Henry were greeted by a mysterious newcomer. That’s right, Storybrooke might no longer be the one-way street we all thought it was.

So who do you all think this new guy is? Could he be “special” like Emma? Considering how insane this show is, could he even be Henry’s father — not dead — with a new face following his brush with the fire? Hit the comments section with your best theories!

— Andy Swift

Follow Andy on Twitter for more Once Upon A Time updates

Alanda

Posted at 11:28 AM on June 1, 2012

i’m still waiting for part 23 season 1

mike

Posted at 3:19 PM on March 25, 2012

I awalys thought he was Grimm. The Stranger that is..

Megan

Posted at 8:18 PM on January 24, 2012

I think that the mysterious stranger wrote Henry’s book. Why? Because in the following episode, Emma talks to the stranger and gets to see what’s in his “Mysterious” box. When he opens it, it’s a very old typewriter. If you notice none of the people in the town of Storybrooke have a computer. This leads me to believe that he wrote the book and the queen will want to work with him because he could possibly change the ending.

Daniel J

Posted at 4:31 PM on January 18, 2012

Who wrote this? … it was drivel! were you paying attention Emma lied about Bens father being a hero firefighter! duh

SMK

Posted at 2:15 PM on January 17, 2012

I like the thought of him being Rumplestiltsin’s boy.

MorrowRosanna

Posted at 7:36 AM on January 17, 2012

my friend’s mom makes $76 hourly on the computer. She has been out of a job for 9 months but last month her pay was $7454 just working on the computer for a few hours. Read more here…makecash16.com

Sacha

Posted at 12:06 AM on January 17, 2012

If he is the wolf, or Pinnochio, or anyone of these theories, what would be in the box? I’m thinking it could be the apple but I have no idea how that would tie into any character. I’m just trying to figure out what connection the box has to anything.

I for one think it’s the wolf. I think the theory about the comic book being about Hulk vs. Wolverine and the fact that he rode in looking like the Wolverine character (I actually said to my sister, “I think it’s Wolverine in the wrong show”) point to him being the wolf. That with the “I’m just looking for a bed” and “Granny’s is right down the street” screams wolf. But that’s just my putting together things you’ve all said.

Sacha

Posted at 12:01 AM on January 17, 2012

I always thought Dr. Whale was Doc of the Dwarfs. I know the Whale part is misleading, but if you watch you can see all of the Dwarfs. The sneezing shop owner, the grumpy prisoner in one of the first episodes, the sleeping hospital security guard. They all have strange names, it’s their behavior that makes them obvious Dwarfs….to me.

Carlene

Posted at 10:38 PM on January 16, 2012

I think he’s either Rumplestiltsin’s boy or the Beast…?

Tahleen

Posted at 1:43 PM on January 17, 2012

Ohh, Rumpelstiltskin’s son! That’s a great idea! I hope that’s it.

Mary and Micah

Posted at 10:30 PM on January 16, 2012

My son Micah and I call it…the Wolf! At first I thought Pied Piper b/c of the box strapped to the back of the motorcycle. But, after reading the comments, (we just watched it tonight as we recorded it) we definitely think it is the Wolf coming for “Ruby”. : )

Justin

Posted at 5:22 PM on January 16, 2012

Could it be Pinocchio all grown up??? I mean they did build the carrier for Emma and I would think that he would want to save his own son? Or it could be Rumples son…maybe the 7 yr old that saved Emma that she was reading about in the file?

Andy Swift

Posted at 9:38 PM on January 16, 2012

Oooh, I LOVE the idea of him being Rumpelstiltskin’s son!

Kay

Posted at 4:07 PM on January 16, 2012

The wolf is a great concept, but wouldn’t that make him already a part of storybrooke? Also is no one paying attention to the box strapped to the back of the motorcycle? I don’t get a good vibe from his 10 second scene, but I have a feeling that box has great significance.

Andy Swift

Posted at 9:39 PM on January 16, 2012

You’re right. I’m now thinking the wolf theory is a no.

Soup

Posted at 1:48 AM on January 16, 2012

I’ve like the series so far, however I must say I’m getting a tad bit impatient with how slow the main plot towards ending the curse has been. I don’t expect the curse to end this season, but I would like to see another character come out of the fog and not die like Graham did. It would just be nice to see one more character know the truth (who wasn’t evil preferably)

Andy Swift

Posted at 7:41 AM on January 16, 2012

I’ll agree with you on that one. But then again, if they do wrap up the mystery by season’s end, what will they do in future years? 0_o

scottjl

Posted at 9:32 PM on January 16, 2012

i hope they don’t ever solve the curse. after all if they do what would be left? if everyone knew who they were and they ganged up on the mayor/witch and did away with her, then what? storybrooke turns into wisteria lane? no thank you.

they’ve already said it will be back for another season, expect the curse to take at least that long, if not longer if they keep renewing it!

Andy Swift

Posted at 9:39 PM on January 16, 2012

Oh man, if Storybrooke ever turned into Wisteria Lane I would HAVE to jump ship. We all know how downhill THAT show has gone :-/

Soup

Posted at 1:06 AM on January 17, 2012

I don’t want the curse to be ended this season (of course there would be nothing driving the show) but I would like to see stronger character development where somebody figures a little more about their fairy tale self. I’m sure it will happen, I just have to be patient :)

marsi

Posted at 3:21 AM on January 17, 2012

don’t you speak blasphemous words. desperate housewives is great. i for one think that its the 7 year old or rumpelstiltskin’s son as well

nelson

Posted at 11:54 PM on January 15, 2012

I luv dis

bitchstolemyremote

Posted at 11:22 PM on January 15, 2012

As I discuss here: http://wp.me/p1VQBq-kr that was a really disappointing episode. Caulfield was great, but wasted, in her role and besides the Evil Queen’s rocking leather outfit, everything else was far too obvious and predictable. The only interesting element was the arrival of the stranger! Pretty sure he’s not Henry’s father, but clearly we’ll find out more about him next week.

FYI: There was no fire. Emma made up the whole fireman story.

charlotte

Posted at 9:49 PM on January 15, 2012

Could emma have a brother??? i love this show.

Andy Swift

Posted at 9:50 PM on January 15, 2012

Oh man, that thought didn’t even cross my mind…

…until now.

debra hill

Posted at 10:03 PM on January 15, 2012

I thought it was a reincarnation of grahm or henry’s dad looking for emma. The brother thought would be a idea, but they never showed snow n charming having more than one child. So where he came from would have to be carefully written or he may have to be a brother in the real world realm. That was through adoption.

Andy Swift

Posted at 10:20 PM on January 15, 2012

Yeah, even though Emma said he died, I’m still kind of thinking it’s him… somehow.

Nadia

Posted at 8:34 PM on January 16, 2012

Me too. I think it’s Henry’s dad. But what is bugging me isn’t who it is it’s how he got in Storybrooke.

Since when did this show end in cliffhangers?!!

Andy Swift

Posted at 9:40 PM on January 16, 2012

@ Nadia — What do you mean? Doesn’t it always end in cliffhangers? :)

Tahleen

Posted at 1:47 PM on January 17, 2012

I’m thinking it can’t be Henry’s dad, unless Emma has no idea who the father is. She didn’t register any recognition at all when she saw him. I don’t think he’s dead, since Emma admitted to Mary Margaret that she lied, but still.

Joannie Joy

Posted at 10:12 PM on January 15, 2012

Has anyone thought about he could be the part of the Wolf. Emaa did send him to Granny’s for a bed? Hmmmm…Little Red Riding Hood lives with Granny so who knows that may be how this plot thickens!

Andy Swift

Posted at 10:19 PM on January 15, 2012

THE WOLF!

Love it.

Nadia

Posted at 8:35 PM on January 16, 2012

I think the wolf in Dr. Whale. Cause he was checking out Ruby in one episode. Plus if the stranger was the wolf how come he wasn’t in Storybrooke already?

Andy Swift

Posted at 9:40 PM on January 16, 2012

I figured Dr. Whale was somehow connected to Pinocchio. Doesn’t he get swallowed by a whale?

Kris

Posted at 9:59 PM on January 30, 2012

@ Nadia Of course he was checking out Ruby. She’s dressed like a prostitute.

katie

Posted at 10:21 PM on January 15, 2012

omg i’ve been waiting for the wolf all season. i thought it was graham but then it wasn’t :(

Bun

Posted at 5:59 AM on January 16, 2012

it could very well be Wolf. In the beginning Henry was reading Hulk vs >>>Wolverine<<<. That could be a foreshadow, and the last scene was of him entering Storybrooke going to Granny's..as in the little red riding hood. yea.

Andy Swift

Posted at 2:30 PM on January 16, 2012

Oh, wow, good eye. I totally missed what he was reading.

Nadia