Madonna Slams Lady Gaga For Copying Her: Calls Her Simple & Crude (Basically)

Fri, January 13, 2012 10:09am EDT by 53 Comments
Getty Images

Jj

Posted at 1:03 AM on May 13, 2013

Wow. That is very HYPOCRITICAL of madonna. She says it as if she never copied marilyn monroe over the past three decades…. and much much more artists like janet jackson, Marlene dietrich, Olivia-newton john, horst p. horst, tina turner, pat benatar, (need i continue?) and guess what? She had more copyright lawsuits than gaga, rihanna, and katy perry combined. Even her MDNA cover is a direct ripoff of sergio’s previous album.

me

Posted at 1:39 PM on October 14, 2012

Madonna and Lady GaGa are both cousins so it would only be fair to say in runs in the family.Madonna should stop talking crap yes she’s the queen and all but she also copied Marilyn Monroe and Marlene Dietrich and various artists over the years . it’s a cycle they all copy off each other like Christina Aguilera trying to be Marilyn Monroe but yet GaGa is now copying Christina’s lets gain weight concept.

Fish Fantasy (@theJSEnyc)

Posted at 5:40 AM on July 30, 2014

are you really that stupid? or are you 10 y/o?

me

Posted at 1:36 PM on July 30, 2014

The stupid one is you and they are related.They have all copied each other so why are you getting mad about a simple comment I made.Even a 10 year old knows that most celebs copy each other.Madonna is no different she has copied from the best.I won’t be responding to any of your negative comments back simply because if you can attack even a 10 year old for a dumb comment about how they copy each other Gosh knows you need help.

Shannon

Posted at 5:21 PM on July 7, 2012

I love Madonna! She is my style icon. Has been for years. But obviously I can get away with it because…i’m not a hollywood superstar!

But, I do think Gaga is copying Madonna, though I don’t think it’s a bad thing. Just because someone copies something off you, especially someone as amazing as Madonna, isn’t bad at all! In fact it’s a compliment. It just depends how the person being copied takes it. Like Madonna likes to be individual and original, so I can understand why she is disturbed.

But on the other hand… with the song copying, I totally agree with Madonna here. That is taking it too far. I understand the clothes, because Madonna has amazing style. But the song is just a nono. Sorry gaga.

Jess

Posted at 10:10 AM on June 3, 2012

Our Mother monster is unique and I love her. Fair enough that outfit looks like Madonna’s but Lady Gaga rocks it better and has come up with her own twist to make it more of her own.

You don’t see Madonna turning up to VMA in a dress entirely made out of meat do you? I consider Madonna to be very hypocritical about this situation; She copied the Staple singers1

Anyway. My opinion is Lady Gaga is our QUEEN, Our very own Mother monster. As my duty as a huge little monster I will back Lady Gaga up!

Madonna is old and dragging behind. We have a brand new ever more fantastic queen. LONG LIVE MOTHER MONSTER!

Len

Posted at 1:44 AM on June 2, 2012

Madonna had a lot of nerve being so offfended by the “reductive” way Gaga copied her song. Wait a minute! Madonna copied the Staple Singers. She may have sped up the tempo and added some lyrics; but, at the end of the day she did the same thing. The difference was she believed it was her song.

Jimmie mackey

Posted at 4:41 PM on June 23, 2014

I totally agree with you. Madonna also copied The Jacksons’ music, just listen to the jacksons” Can you feel it”, then listen to madonna’s 2Material girl”. She clearly ripped off the jacksons music,

dude

Posted at 9:33 PM on May 31, 2012

dude I think Madonna is trying to use LADY GAGA by coming out with all the attacks on GAGA,some how seem a bit deperate to me,I like Madonna and she did her share of ripping off other artists,i find Respect yourself a rip of the sixtys version of respect yourself song right down to the name?LADY GAGA is the true most talented star to date,the only thing screwing GAGA right now are Religious fanatics that do not like her so no matter what she does they will allways find hate towards her,but to me these people are fuiled by hate of the teachers in churches or what everMadonna right now is looking like a oppertunest to a degree.

Chrissy

Posted at 10:37 PM on May 20, 2012

MADONNA !
Lady gaga seriously copies her. If you don’t believe, i suggest checking out Madonna’s songs. LUV YA MADONNA THE ORIGINAL<3

Lisa

Posted at 12:26 AM on May 31, 2012

They are both compared for their shock factor and not much about what they wear and their music . To be honest I can name more similarities of other artists after gaga wore/done something then to Madonna. You call her a copycat when Madonna herself “copies” from Kylie (The original person who wore the cone bra) , Cher, marilyn monroe, etc, but did any of them call her reductive…. no they do not know the true facts.

KayRae

Posted at 11:10 AM on March 22, 2012

Last time I check Madonna, Gaga can sing and you can’t you are old and she is young. And why be so mean to someone who is always so nice about you. Lady Gaga is always saying how amazing she thinks you are

Marina

Posted at 5:28 PM on July 7, 2012

I agree with why Madonna is being mean to her, gaga idolises her. That’s why she does take inspiration from Madonna’s clothes and music. But it doesn’t matter if Madonna is old or new! She should still be memorised for the amazing person she was and all the music she produced, and not to mention the outfits she pulled off. I say was. STILL IS! I’m a teen and I LOVE madonna! I love her style, music, attitude EVERYTHING! Madonna is my inspiration, and I know a lot of other young people around the world who love Madonna as much a me. It just proves age doesn’t matter:P.

Marina

Posted at 5:30 PM on July 7, 2012

Oh and I forgot to say, ‘you can’t sing’ wait. You think gaga has a better voice than Madonna? PLEASEEE.

callie