'The Vampire Diaries' Recap: Stefan Risks Elena's Life — Did He Go Too Far?

Thu, January 12, 2012 11:59pm EST by 89 Comments
Courtesy of The CW

It was a night of betrayals for nearly every couple in Mystic Falls. Did this episode totally change your opinion of Stefan?

Let me just start by saying I would not want to be a member of Team Stefan (Paul Wesley) right now. Honestly, how would one go about explaining his behavior as of late? We’ve already seen how his obsession with destroying Klaus (Joseph Morgan) has put a strain on his relationship with Elena (Nina Dobrev), but he reached a new low on the Jan. 12 episode of The Vampire Diaries when he threatened to kill Elena on the very same bridge where her parents died just a few years earlier.

But don’t celebrate just yet, Damon (Ian Somerhalder) fans. Despite all of her newfound disgust with Stefan, Elena still didn’t feel right repeating last week’s epic kiss with Damon. “It’s not right,” she told him on the porch, to which he snidely replied, “not right now.” She may have said no, but her lingering stare as he walked back to his car revealed a very different desire.

And Stefan and Elena weren’t the only off-again couple visiting Dysfunction Junction this week. Caroline (Candice Accola) and Tyler’s (Michael Trevino) rocky relationship practically plummeted when, at Klaus’ request, he sank his teeth into her. And we all know what happens when werewolves nom on vampires. (RIP, Rose!)

But remember when Candice told HollywoodLife.com that Klaus and Caroline would “finally cross paths” this week? That little tease came into play when Klaus gave Caroline a super-inspiring speech about how great it is to be a vampire… followed by some of his blood, and a pretty necklace. While I’m glad Caroline will live to see another day, I can’t help but feel that Klaus has a nasty little plan in store for her.

(Side note: Matt Donovan [Zach Roerig] remains perfect. Attention, ladies of Mystic Falls — Matt is as single as he is noble.)

Fortunately, not every couple in Mystic Falls ended the episode on a sour note. Though they’re not officially together anymore, Bonnie (Kat Graham) shared a few adorable scenes with Jeremy (Steven R. McQueen) as he prepared to leave town… temporarily, of course. It’s nice to see that even after all the hardships “Beremy” has endured — which includes, but is not limited to, death and ghosts — they both still have genuine feelings for each other. You’ve really got to love those two.

Meredith (Torrey DeVitto) was another interesting character to watch this week. We’re only learning a little about her at a time, but considering her ex-boyfriend mysteriously turned up dead in the woods — after telling Alaric (Matt Davis) what a psycho bitch Meredith is — I’m thinking there’s something suspicious going on with her. Let’s just hope Alaric figures out what that is before it’s too late.

OK, time to tell me what’s on your minds: Was Stefan’s betrayal unforgivable, or are you still holding out hope for him? And were you bummed that Elena rejected Damon’s kiss this time? Head to the comments section — it’s time get some feelings out!

– Andy Swift

Follow Andy on Twitter for more Vampire Diaries updates

sisey

Posted at 1:49 PM on January 26, 2012

i rily like the kiss btn elena and damon,there should b more to it.stefan shud go 4 katherine they suit 2gather. bonnie rocks

Annie

Posted at 11:55 AM on January 17, 2012

I think the end will be the same as the books. Damon will die n they both will mourn and get over it. she can luv 2 guys at the same tym. cmon guys dont call her a hypocrite atleast…
STELENA forever

Мария

Posted at 3:46 AM on January 19, 2012

Деймон буде с Еленой!!Всё наоборот!Онибудут вместе!Понятно?

Mary

Posted at 7:57 AM on January 17, 2012

Деймон и Елена лучшие!Они будут вместе!Стефан отстой!

Enma Curiel

Posted at 11:39 PM on January 15, 2012

I love Damon but I always prefer to Elena with Stefan, their relationship is fantastic and although they aren’t together now I like they

Ashley Smith

Posted at 11:14 AM on January 15, 2012

I keep hoping for Stephen to come back to his scences, but I also have the strong desire for Damon and Elana. Even though I wish I could have Damon for myself;)

sophy

Posted at 4:49 AM on January 15, 2012

Stefan forever. This episode made me love him even more. Another sacrifice.
U people are blind. Did no one see the layers and layers of regret In his eyes when he was threatning to kill her? And the way his voice broke in that heart breaking conversation?!?!?! He needed to show klaus that he had NO weaknesses, and threatened to kill elena. He NEEDS for elena to hate him because she IS his biggest weakness, and if she stays away, the safer she is. Whoever wrote this article is literally blind. What about the sadness in his eyes when he said he didn’t care about elena anymore? He loves her. And this was not a ripper stefan moment. It was the real-stefan-sacrificing-himself-again moment. And it made ne love him even more.
I hate elena for what she did. She’s throwing herself to Damon and still has the nerve to say that stefan had her. SHE KISSED DAMON THE NIGHT STEFAN LEFT TOWN! Hypocrite. She’s right, she’s not like Katherine, she’s worse. Honestly I don’t understand why both brothers are swooning over her. They both deserve better. Like Katherine!

Lee

Posted at 6:55 PM on January 14, 2012

I Love Love Love Stefan!!but i never really liked him and elena together, but maybe thats because I really dont like elenas character she is just so blah… I love nina dobrev as katherine but as elena shes not really bringing the emotion, thats just my opinion. I would prefer for stefan do be with someone else maybe caroline? hell maybe even bonnie. As for Damon, I actually really like him, he use to be my favorite, but I just really hate how everyones bashing stefan but really stefan has been the one sacrificing himself and his happiness to save his brother, and damon kisses elena?? what happened to feeling guilty?

Allyson

Posted at 6:36 AM on January 14, 2012

For Delena! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHfQQ0JWBhU

Melika

Posted at 6:34 AM on January 14, 2012

I was reading the comments and I have to say that
It is nice to see so many stelena fans in here!!!
TEAME STELENA FOEVER!!
Ok so didn’t you see that Stefan was about to cry when he was talking to Elena!! I don’t know about you guys but I think that Stefan and Elena are gonna get back together!

lacysos

Posted at 11:01 PM on January 13, 2012

It will always be Stefan.

I will ALWAYS be Team Stefan.

NUf Said! (;

Sara

Posted at 6:09 PM on January 13, 2012

okay first of all im loving the show!! Delena FTW!!! awh yeah! stefan well i feel bad for him, he asting so badly but still hes going through a lot. i still think he genuinely caresa bout elena. he prolly knew klaus would back off so he wouldnt have to kill elena. and u know wat klaus said, that kind of love never dies :(
i guess i just want delena. damon has been through a lot as well. he needs someone! im tired of seeing him get rejected :/
elena rejecting damon was accpected. its hard to just forget and move on. she needstime. although it seems damon is in bit of a hurry ;)

Elmira

Posted at 5:05 PM on January 13, 2012

Dear DELENA FANS:
I hate to mention this and ruin all the fun you’re having dreaming of damon and elena to be together but unfortunately for you guys Stelena will come back before you even know it.
BTW who the hell cares about klaus when we’ve got other problems to worry about????he is just pain in the a**.

Emma

Posted at 2:49 PM on January 14, 2012

Wat makes u think stelana is getting back together. have u seen Stefan lately he just doesn’t care anymore, about elana about Damon he just doesn’t care, and elana shouldn’t either

sophy

Posted at 4:55 AM on January 15, 2012

On the contrary he cares too much. He’s letting elena go because that’s what’s right. He knows he’s lost her. And everything he’s doing is to protect elena and the town from klaus and to get his vengence. Were you blind to the endless regret I’m stefans eyes when hw was threatening elena? And his brown voice, were u deaf to that? I’m not imaginig it, it was there, as Paul said in one of his interviews too. Stefan knows he’s lost elena, so he’s let her go.
Honestly I don’t even want stelena to come back. elena is such a big bitch and stefan and Damon deserve so much better. Shew just a huge hypocrite.

Elmira

Posted at 8:34 AM on January 15, 2012

Dear EMMA:
haven’t you read other comments?of course he cares!he is just pretending because he doesn’t want Klaus find any weakness.

Elmira

Posted at 4:54 PM on January 13, 2012

Stefan is no the one who should be forgiven ELENA AND DAMON ARE.while the were enjoying time together Stefan was suffering exchange for Damon’s life. he saved his life over and over again and even wanted Elena to live her life without him because he feels guilty for what he did. Elena for once did the right thing to stop Damon from kissing her. Damon is so so selfish.Be realistic and suck it up Delena club!

TVDfan101

Posted at 1:11 PM on January 13, 2012

I loved the episode it was so good!!!!!!!Go away Stefan!DELENA ALL THE WAY!!!!!!!!!!

I love Ian

Posted at 12:46 PM on January 13, 2012

!! U seriji “TVD” mi se bas i ne svidja sto se samo Elena ljubaka sa Stefanom :)…Ali se tjesim sa tim da su njih dvoje u stvarnosti par i uskoro ce se veriti ^^ <3 I like *DELENA*

Bbii!x

Posted at 12:01 PM on January 13, 2012

I’m def. Team Stelena why? i have been waiting for the delena kiss he and let me tell you this ,there where no chemestry . when they were kissin her hands were down, just standig there :p but stelena? did you see elenna’s face when stefan told her he had nothing left but to destroy klaus, but when she realizes the he was tryin to make her him it all hit her, the the look on her face whe he walks way!
and lets be hones the only reason stefan is being like this is becuz he trying to rotect everybody! if he didn’t care damon would’ve died! he know and klaus knows that elena is hes weakness! so to be able to protect her he has to let klaus believe he doesn’t care about her! & we all know stefan would never kill elena so stop acting like he did :p

and something els i think Paul Wesley is the strong one here cuz look at him season 1 and how he has changend not only his character but also as an actor Ian on the other hand still has de same smile (we all love) same attitude same look even same sarcasim :s he need a change! Paul is really getting better and he is the on e makinge the show here :p

BTW in the end we all know Stefan will get his girl back , damon is just a rebound cuw stefan isnt there :p
xoxo

tippa

Posted at 11:50 AM on January 13, 2012

I think me and my friends are going to give up on the show. The writer’s are just making Stefan look bad because Nina and Ian are dating in real life and want to be together on the show to. It’s boring now with all the Stefan bashing. We figure maybe 1 more season and this show will get cancelled. Bye

Anna

Posted at 12:10 PM on January 13, 2012

Jesus Christ – that you and your friends are all Stelenas and are planning on quiting the show, doesn’t mean that the show will get cancelled? You’re not the center of the world, you know?..

And why can’t you just enjoy the show? Maybe it sucks for you if Stefan and Elena don’t have the fantastic love-story – but come on! It’s rediculous! I wont guit seeing the show just because she doesn’t choose the brother I want her to? Try to be a little possitive – do you like being grumpy? Is it nice? It’s NOT fair to other fans, that people like you write stuff like this? It’s really low in my opinion.

jade

Posted at 3:29 PM on January 13, 2012

I totally agree with you..it`s so boring now when we don`t see the love between stefan and elena..I miss it a lot!!Bring it back please!!!

Ally

Posted at 5:06 PM on January 13, 2012

Okay first of all Nina and Ian don’t control the show; the writers do what they want regardless of the actors’ love lives off set. Second, TVD’s ratings are the highest on The CW so if you think there’s just one more season, you’re mistaken.

Cam

Posted at 11:18 AM on January 13, 2012

It’s funny – after seeing that scene with Caroline and Klaus… I totally ship them! xD I know he’s evil and so.. But he was just so nice to her, and they looked so sweet together :O

Emma

Posted at 2:53 PM on January 14, 2012

I know right I was thinking the exact same thing.

sophy

Posted at 5:00 AM on January 15, 2012

I know right!?!?! It’s so freaky! I thought I was the only crazy one!!! Suddenly I’ve forgotten all the other couples I shipped and became a klaroline shipper!! I hate klaus (HE TOOK MY STEFAN AWAY!) but I loved him in that scene! He was so darn sexy and……… Nice. And he left care a bday pressie!! Yay. LMAO.

Caroline

Posted at 11:16 AM on January 13, 2012

Meredith is defenitely a vampire-hunter! She is in the books.. I’m so glad that they’ve chosen to bring her into the series. She’s a strong character in the books – it’s only sad that she’s not a friend of Elena’s – yet.

Andy Swift

Posted at 11:42 AM on January 13, 2012

Ah, see I didn’t read the books. There you go.

Caroline

Posted at 12:08 PM on January 13, 2012

I’m so sorry! I hope I didn’t mess anything up :/

Btw. I’m not sure she’s a vampire-hunter.. Maybe the writers have other plans for her?

NICOLE

Posted at 10:19 AM on January 13, 2012

I LOVE DELENA AND BRAZIL TOO.DAMON NEVER PUT ELENA’S LIFE AT RISK WITHOUT PITY AS IS STEFAN.

A ENERGIA QUE CIRCULA OS SENTIMETOS DE DAMON E ELENA É MUITO FORTE E SUPERIOR. ELA JA SABE QUE O AMA POR ISSO TEME SE ENTREGAR A ELE IMAGINANDO ATÉ MESMO A ATITUDE DO STEFAN, JA QUE ELA NÃO CONFIA MAIS NO STEFAN.

DELENA ALWAYS AND FOREVER!!!KISS FROM BRAZIL

Belle de Jour

Posted at 9:52 AM on January 13, 2012

I knew that one day we’ll meet new Mystic couple- Klaroline. I hope he won’t kill her or put her in danger. She’s perfect for him, she could change him (his speech about birthdays bring his human side for a moment). I ship Klaroline!

Rilo325

Posted at 9:40 AM on January 13, 2012

Ok I’m loving Caroline n Klaus, she brought out a softer side to our great vilian and I for one loved it. I hope he develope genuine feelings for Caroline as they would be amazing together. As much as I am loving this new, hot, bad boy Stefan, I think he went too far last night. Klaus let him go so he should of been working on repairing his relationships with Damon n Elena, instead of being obsessed with taking Klaus down. I know Elena will eventually forgive him but that was still a hard pill to swallow. As much as I want Delena to jump one another’s bones, I do love how the writers and dragging it out, their amazing love story is far too perfect to rush it n the build up makes it that much more worth it!!!!! I already cant wait for next week’s episode already.

Camille

Posted at 11:21 AM on January 13, 2012

Totally agree with everything! I can’t say anything about it, you haven’t – Thank you. I couldn’t put it like that myself :)

Andy Swift

Posted at 11:45 AM on January 13, 2012

“As much as I want Delena to jump one another’s bones, I do love how the writers and dragging it out.”

My thoughts EXACTLY :)

Mary

Posted at 9:37 AM on January 13, 2012

I wonder if Elena would have rejected STEFAN’s kiss. I don’t think so.

Sabrina

Posted at 11:22 AM on January 13, 2012

Oh, I think so! o.o
– Haven’t you watched the last few episodes?-.-‘

RoSA

Posted at 8:52 AM on January 13, 2012

Andy do you think there is a caroline klaus might have a budding romance??

amy

Posted at 8:44 AM on January 13, 2012

I LOVE DELENA!!!! i feel the whole story of vampire diaries is about delena ,and about development of their relationship….almost every romantic scene is about DELENA, in my opinion stefan is just obstacle from the begining.If stelena will be endgame whole story would be redundant !i hope writer’s will make a good decision…

Lauren