'The Vampire Diaries' Scoop: Stefan Betrays Elena This Week

Wed, January 11, 2012 12:00pm EST by 121 Comments
Courtesy of The CW

The Jan. 12 episode finds the former lovers at odds — again — and it gets really ugly, really fast.

A while back, The Vampire Diaries executive producer Julie Plec told reporters that this would be the “year of the originals,” but it’s looking more like the year of Damon (Ian Somerhalder) and Elena (Nina Dobrev) to me — and that only becomes more evident after the Jan. 12 episode.

My Mystic Falls source tells me that last week’s confrontation between Stefan (Paul Wesley) and Elena — you know, the one that ended in her slapping him and telling him to go to hell — is nothing compared to their heated confrontation this week.

Without giving too much away, Stefan’s ongoing battle with Klaus (Joseph Morgan) leads him to betray Elena in a way viewers won’t see coming. Decisions are made, actions are taken, and Elena ends up getting VERY hurt.

So here’s my question to you: How do you feel about Elena’s relationship with the Salvatore brothers this season? Are you annoyed with Stefan’s sudden change in character, or are you happy to see Damon’s sensitive side getting a chance to shine? Drop me a comment with your thoughts!

– Andy Swift

Follow Andy on Twitter for more Vampire Diaries scoop

spu

Posted at 7:57 PM on January 11, 2012

God i wish stefan nd elena wil get back together!! Their luv was epic! Nd besides Delena just feels like a fanservice to me as ian nd nina are dating in real life!! :(

SA

Posted at 7:46 PM on January 11, 2012

I’ve been waiting for two years for my Delena hook up, so I want full on Delena for at the minimum of two seasons…after all, it would only be fair:)

Alexis

Posted at 6:30 PM on January 11, 2012

I have always loved stefans character since the beginning, i loved what he stood for, his courage and strength, and admired his undying love for elena. To me he is still that same person, he is still doing what he has always done, keep his family and friends safe. He didnt let Damon kill Klaus because klaus was going to kill damon, he is being a tool to elena because he needs to cut her out of his life so that way Klaus wont see elena as leverage anymore. The only person that klaus seems to think Stefan cares for is his brother, the one who he saved all those hundred times. He cant show any type of caring emotion now more than ever because then he’ll slip and Klaus will evidently win.

As for Damon and Elena, there is attraction there. But Elena will always love stefan, Stefan is more healthy for her, He somewhat understands human emotions, and can comfort her. Stefan has trouble hurting/killing people whereas Damon doesnt. Damon will sacrifice who he wants and needs to keep Elena breathing, that is a good thing, until it consumes him and makes him catastrophic. Stefan understands that too save 10 lives to but have to risk or sacrifice elena, he may choose those 10, and thats what elena would want, but Damon would never understand that.

Michelle

Posted at 9:58 PM on January 11, 2012

I soooo agree!! :)

Asia

Posted at 5:33 PM on January 11, 2012

At The End It Stefan and Elena is going to get back together
#Team Stefan & Elena

annonymus

Posted at 5:27 PM on January 11, 2012

i am totally pissed at stefans new character, but EWWWW i hate damon and elena! we all know i9ts going to be stefan and elena in the end

i ship damon & elena .

Posted at 4:21 PM on January 11, 2012

TEAM DELENA DEFINITELY

Jessica

Posted at 4:20 PM on January 11, 2012

I absolutely love how Delena’s relationship has evolved over the seasons, and the romantic and sexual tension between them is just amazing.

I probably wouldn’t watch TVD anymore if they went back to Stelena, that relationship just doesn’t seem real.

Team Damon & Elena !!!!!!

amanda

Posted at 5:23 PM on January 11, 2012

i totally agree with you. their love story is the most important thing in whole vtd for me :)

mvk

Posted at 4:20 PM on January 11, 2012

I love it. I would love to see Damon get the girl and Stefan be really bad. The books aren’t like that though and I think they will end up following the books. I’m team Damon.

Shari

Posted at 4:15 PM on January 11, 2012

Im NOT happy with the turn of events this
Season. I want Stefan with Elena. So tired of this new Stefan. I really don’t look forward to watching the show like I used to because of the drastic change of Stefan and Elena’s relationship. I know the show has to have action and change things up but come on…

"I don't know what I would do if you weren't here." -Elena to Damon

Posted at 4:15 PM on January 11, 2012

DAMON & ELENA all the way. They’re meant to be, not like the somewhat-forced highschool-ish relationship that Stefan and Elena had. I didn’t really like Stefan before the Ripper phase, and now he’s acting quite stupid still with all the revenge stuff so… Yeah, Team Damon 100%.

Lilja

Posted at 3:58 PM on January 11, 2012

I’m really annoyed that Stefan is such a jerk now! They are meant together! I’m a little glad that Damon is becoming such a sweetheart, but it just doesn’t feel right. I want Stelena back :*(

Slr

Posted at 3:53 PM on January 11, 2012

Elena and Stephen need to get back together! They show won’t be the same :( Damon is so much better at being the bad guy…and Stephen seems like he is pretending. He was crying when elena slapped him last episode! COME ON producers…bring the old plot back!!!!

TVD

Posted at 3:49 PM on January 11, 2012

I hope the writers keep Stelena alive cause if they destroy it … BYE ;)

SBV

Posted at 3:30 PM on January 11, 2012

NOOO!!! Team Stelena ALL the way!! I know Stefan still cares somewhere in there! I like the bad boy side but don’t want anything to jeopardize their love!!!

Tessa

Posted at 3:19 PM on January 11, 2012

Thank God for Delena (Damon and Elena as a couple), I was hoping for it for like 3 seasons now. I am a little disappointed do, with the fact that Stefan will betray and hurt Elena, that is not like him. Anyway, I am looking forward for more Delena scenes.

Kris

Posted at 3:12 PM on January 11, 2012

How could you not be Team Damon!!!!!!

Louise

Posted at 3:22 PM on January 11, 2012

Agree!

Louise

Posted at 3:11 PM on January 11, 2012

Stefan should hook up with Bonnie, after hiding the coffins together. Team Delena!

sarah

Posted at 3:57 PM on January 11, 2012

Relax and stop with the Delena BS. You guys just want Stefan with Bonnie to keep him away from Elena. So disrespectful to the talented actors on this show.

Natasha

Posted at 5:55 PM on January 11, 2012

Umm… how does that have anything to do with the actors?? I’m not even sure you understood her comment. Either its Stelena or Delena, actors will be appreciated. So your comment is quite irrelevant!

Jean

Posted at 9:52 PM on January 11, 2012

What a weird comment. And silly. You need to relax and not make nonsensical, yet still disparaging, comments towards people who disagree with who you think should be a couple on a TV show.

Accusing someone of being disrespectful towards TV actors because they’d like to see a pairing that’s not your One Twu Pairing? That’s BS.

sarah

Posted at 3:01 PM on January 11, 2012

TEAM STEFAN/STELENA ALWAYS!!

Jo-Ann

Posted at 2:55 PM on January 11, 2012

I love how the Delena build up has been done so naturally. We all knew how Damon felt, and we all knew that Elena cared for him and believed in the man she knew he was. Circumstances this season just let the two of them grow closer together. The St Stefan role was always a lie. Damon knew that,He said it all through S1, Now Elena and all Mystic Falls knows. The originals, we’ve seen their history and soon the rest will be coming.

Bri

Posted at 2:55 PM on January 11, 2012

I think I got carried away… xD (I hope the paragraphs work, if not, this will be a big annoying chunk of text.)

Andy – How do you feel about Elena’s relationship with the Salvatore brothers this season?

I think this season reflects what I’ve always thought of the triangle and its development. I was a Stelena shipper until around Blood Brothers (1×20) and was a growing Delena shipper since Haunted (1×07), so for a while I was a dual shipper. I could appreciate both relationships for what I needed. I thought that Delena would be the hot and passionate relationship between a bad boy and a good girl and that Stelena would be the lovey-dovey relationship between lovers. Needless to say, as the series went on, I felt the Stelena relationship to be to lack a genuine foundation and was convinced that the love between them was blind. I felt like they were two characters thrown together for a premise without the characters actually leading the story and being developed naturally. What Stelena lacked, for my liking, I found in Delena… and I think that season reflects that: we see Stelena falling apart due to Elena realizing harsh truths/lies/acts (Klaus brought this on in a harsher way, of course), Stefan struggling to find himself, his brother being the only catalyst to his feelings (note: I’m a believer that both family-love and lover-love can be of the same importance depending on the person – I don’t think one should trump the other unless one is more important to the individual), and Damon and Elena strengthening the friendship, trust, understanding, and other emotional connections them. I’ve believed for a while that Stefan was holding back to appease Elena and his image that he’s worked so hard on, and I think this all would have happened without Klaus to push it all forward, just not at the same rate or extremity. I can’t say that I’m complaining because it would have taken FOREVER to at least get some Delena action. Before this season, I was predicting late season 4 or 5 for any of this to get rolling. :P

A – Are you annoyed with Stefan’s sudden change in character, or are you happy to see Damon’s sensitive side getting a chance to shine?

I don’t think Stefan’s change in character is sudden at all, or at least I saw it coming. I’ll admit that adding Klaus to the mix did rush this a bit, but it’s TVD, so I don’t expect a slow burn for anything (but Delena LOL). Again, since the first season, I’ve always believed that Stefan’s character was fabricated by himself with the help of Lexi and his “pure heart” (and I never took pure heart to mean that Stefan was only destined to be “good”, I took it to mean that how he wants to present himself and what a vampire entails do not mix well at all LOL). I’m glad that it’s Damon’s time to shine because while Stefan was holding onto his purity, Damon was holding onto his bad self-esteem, the evil that he believed in himself. With him being thrust into the “hero” role, his character growth and continued story as the anti-hero has only gotten better, and more rewarding for him! Also, I find that Stefan’s storyline will make him a richer hero, not just the pretend hero.

Needless to say, I’m all for Team Delena! Damon and Elena feed off of each other. Elena as always been my favorite, but she’s so freaking awesome this season, as is Damon (my other favorite)! Also, I like Stefan, I’m happy for his new development. :D

Bri

Posted at 2:56 PM on January 11, 2012

OMG, that was longer than I thought and I cut a lot out!

Bri

Posted at 3:24 PM on January 11, 2012

I forgot to say that I do miss old Stefan (from season 1, not season 2), but I hope that after all of this we’ll have a more well-rounded Stefan. This Stefan right now annoys me, if I’m completely honest. :P

I’m done spamming now. xD

Grace

Posted at 6:04 PM on January 11, 2012

This is exactly how I feel. Stelena in the beginning seemed so fake, like love at first sight almost (which I don’t believe in). It seemed like they didn’t know each other well enough to be head over heels in love. I felt like Stefan was trying to prove he could be a decent ‘human being’ and have a normal life and Elena was trying to find a way to distract herself from her still fresh wounds (her parents having just died). What better way to distract yourself than discover vampires exist? I do think they developed genuine affection for each other, but I felt as if they met, started dating and then gradually formed a friendship, rather than love. With Delena, however, it seems so much more real. Damon developed feelings for her because she was the only one that expected more from him, the only one who saw his humanity, and that made him want to be better for her. The more he transformed into someone worthy of her, the more she was drawn to him, and the more she felt for him right back. She may not realize it entirely yet, but she has developed genuine romantic feelings for him. Love is a slow burning flame, not an explosion. I also love how Damon and Stefan have traded places as the bad guy and the good guy. It makes the whole show more fresh and interesting (and it gives Delena a chance to shine). I am a Delena fan 100%.

Alice

Posted at 2:40 PM on January 11, 2012

Ugh! I’m so mad right now … It’s all because of Tyler, bcz he bit Damon, and Stefan helped him and Klaus turned him into a monster. Great! … what could have been worse?
Team Stelena … if it matters anymore :(

katie

Posted at 2:37 PM on January 11, 2012

I’m Team Damon, so I’m so happy that stefan and elena are apart :) damon has a chance to show to elena his love :) I’m looking forward to more scenes with elena and damon together :)

Mary

Posted at 2:36 PM on January 11, 2012

DE are amazing! Love this season! Loved the kiss last week but want Stefan held accountable for his actions and not put the blame on Klaus. DE ENDGAME!!!

rilo

Posted at 2:30 PM on January 11, 2012

I had to comment as there are not enoughDelena fans. The connection between Elena n Damon is unlike anything she will ever have with Stefan, so just suck it up Stelena fans and get a clue would you? Stefan’s character this season though has been epic. He isn’t the usual snooze worthy vampire he once was and I for.one think its so hot and you can see what a great actor he is, finally. Just look at how Elena was left breathless and wanting more after Damon kissed her, she has never been like that with Stefan nor do Stelena have the on fire passion for one another like Delena does. Stflefan deep.down is still in love with Kathrrine anyway. I hope the writer don’t disappoint and put Stelena back together, as there are far too many of us Delena fans who would be crushed. Delena for end game!!!!!!!!!!

arta

Posted at 1:18 PM on January 13, 2012

totally agree with u! and when i say that i mean everythin word u said

ROSA

Posted at 2:28 PM on January 11, 2012

Ok so I am a total fan of Stelena and always will be! But I will say that I love Damon and Elena too but I think if they become a couple it ruins the sexual tension, which is why their relationship is so interesting because it is almost forbidden and when it becomes not forbidden it won’t be as fun. Thats just my opinion though.