Jay-Z Reveals Beyonce Suffered A Miscarriage In Rap Dedicated To Daughter: Should He?

Mon, January 9, 2012 10:18pm EDT by 19 Comments
Beyonce Baby

Do you think Jay-Z empowered women by talking about Beyonce’s miscarriage in his rap, or did he reveal a tragedy that should have remained personal?

Our hearts broke when we heard Jay-Z revealing that his wife, Beyonce, had suffered a miscarriage before delivering their first baby, Blue Ivy Carter. In his new rap, released Jan. 9, which he named “Glory,” the 42-year-old dad explained how happy he was to finally have a baby, after going through more tragic times.

“Last time the miscarriage was so tragic, we was afraid you disappeared,” Jay-Z rapped midway through the song. He also talked about “false alarms and false starts … all the pain of the last time, prayed so hard it was the last time.”

Although it seems like an incredibly personal moment to share with the world, HollywoodLife.com‘s Editor-in-Chief Bonnie Fuller believes Jay-Z’s words are empowering to women.

It’s important to know that losing a fetus during pregnancy is common and can happen to anyone — even a young, healthy celebrity like Beyonce, who’s only 30 years -old and has the best medical treatment. In fact, the American Pregnancy Association says that every year nearly 10% of women who conceive, suffer a miscarriage.

Even though it was sad to hear that Beyonce and Jay-Z lived through this nightmare, it’s encouraging for other women to know that you can suffer a miscarriage and still go on to deliver a beautiful, healthy baby in a subsequent pregnancy.

What did you think about Jay-Z’s revelation? Sound off below.

More Jay-Z & Beyoncé:

1. It’s Outrageous That Jay-Z & Beyonce’s Baby Is Treated As More Important Than Other Babies At An NYC Hospital
  2. Beyonce & Jay-Z’s Baby — Celebs Tweet Congrats
  3. Beyonce & Jay-Z Stop Father From Seeing His Sick Twins In ICU

คาบาลเถื่อน

Posted at 4:10 AM on June 15, 2014

It’s truly very complicated in this full of activity life to listen news on Television, thus I just
use internet for that reason, and get the most up-to-date news.

Lemarie t. Williams

Posted at 9:57 PM on April 14, 2012

hello beyonce my name is lemarie im twelve yrs old and I adore all of your music and I dont adore the fact that you will not admit to your supporting fans that u had a saragent I dont really vare if I spell it wrong but you know wat I mean but as I was saying beyonce you are biger than dat

jkl

Posted at 8:29 PM on January 31, 2013

Lemarie,
I have a daughter around your age .
This is not to bully you online , please take this as an advice.
I like that she is a role model for you but for you age , I think you should not concern yourself with this kind of stuff as far how she had her child …
You know you have mentioned that you could not spell ,I think you should take the time off of Beyonce and use it more on your spelling.
With Love, A mother.

notafan

Posted at 3:14 PM on January 25, 2012

Congrats to them and the surrogate… We all knew she wasn’t pregnant. It’s time they come clean….

Lemarie t wilkiams

Posted at 10:03 PM on April 14, 2012

I dnt know u but I hav 2 say I agry wut u bcuz she got sw skiny sw fst aftr havn ivy blu carter I mean that was like unbievible 4real real talk no lie

Elise hen

Posted at 6:36 PM on January 21, 2012

You guys are strange. do you all even listen to their music. Listen better. He not making the song for us anyway. He is an artist and that is how he expresses himself. Its for the love of his daughter. Rather beyonce had a miscarage or not. Not the point.

lkanony

Posted at 9:04 PM on June 17, 2012

I agree. I mean if Beyonce’ doesn’t mind, and chances are she likely heard the song before the release, then it’s what they agreed to reveal. Other than that, it was HIS call to share their personal experience and he (speaking from his heart) felt compelled to make his point about how overjoyed he felt when their daughter was born. It’s out, it’s out so like my mother would say, things you have no control over or what’s already been done it’s no point in worrying about because it’s already been done. Meanwhile, they would love and appreciate having their daughter so much more….and that’s what matters.

Elise hen

Posted at 6:27 PM on January 21, 2012

I think he was talking about a miscarage with his old girlfriend from years ago. It hurt him he had it in a older song of his. Song cry or this cant be life. Idk. But it hurt j so they were prob scared of that.

amber

Posted at 9:17 AM on January 11, 2012

So did he make a song for his older son that nobody speaks about?

Lori

Posted at 5:13 PM on January 10, 2012

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this song, I cried the first time I heard it. So happy for the two of them. They’re going to be wonderful parents.

patrice walls

Posted at 2:32 PM on January 10, 2012

However way you can get something off of your chest, or off of you mind, or to share with other people, is no wrong doing, people judged them enough before she went to the hospital, they now have a daughter in heaven with my daughter. i would like to tell them sorry for their loss, and that the song is beautiful.

Gigi

Posted at 1:04 PM on January 10, 2012

Congratulations to the Carters! May God bless your family.

The song is definitely a beautiful song. Reminds me of Stevie Wonder’s song to his daughter when you heard her crying on the track.

On another note, there are two sides. Yes, this is empowering for those women who had miscarriages. However, for a couple that is so “private” why reveal that…..could it be a sympathy tactic since it seems like a lot of people are pissed about how they locked down the hospital because of her birth. Although I believe the hospita? Is at fault, Jay and Bey is wrapped up in this. Both must do some serious damage control.

Think people think…….

Courtney

Posted at 11:56 AM on January 10, 2012

@Sidney so sorry to hear of your losses. Jay Z revealing his and Beyonce’s previous loss in the song is meant to show women who go through it that they’re not alone it’s not 40 years ago when nobody talked about this kind of stuff Publically for example Vanessa Redgrave didn’t admit she suffered a miscarriage in 1971 until her autobiography in 1997 some 26 years later and some stars of her era have still never openly spoken about simillar experiences.

silver9391

Posted at 8:11 AM on January 10, 2012

I am sure they didn’t talk about it publicly or in a song when it happened because it was too painfull,duh.

silver9391

Posted at 8:07 AM on January 10, 2012

If it is cool with his wife to reveal the information, it’s cool. Probably did not want to reveal it for fear of jinxing the process until they had sucessfully delivered a healthy live child. Either way it is encouraging for a woman to know, cause often they feel alone and isolated when miscarriages happen. Besides it is uplifting to recieve info that you need to know set to a good beat!

Ashley

Posted at 7:59 AM on January 10, 2012

I think the song is absolutely beautiful! It brought tears to my eyes! He sounds like a doting father, who is so grateful to finally have the blessing of a beautiful baby! He sounds almost relieved! I think the song was perfect and little Blue will know everything that her parents had to go through to get her and she was WANTED and loved! congrats to the new parents!

Ossi brown

Posted at 4:06 AM on January 10, 2012

I would like two congratulate the couple for the baby girl they have been blessed with , but jayz gues his not supposed two reveal every the wife went through before giving birth some things its priversey.

Shelly

Posted at 1:59 AM on January 10, 2012

Why is he bringing this out in a rap song now? He didn’t talk about it when it happened and should not ruin a joyous occasion by talking about it now.

sidney

Posted at 12:52 AM on January 10, 2012

As a woman that had two miscarriages in the last five months feels that revealing this personal information takes a lot of strength and reminds me that I’m not alone and there is hope to one day have a healthy baby. I wish them all the best.