'Desperate Housewives' Recap: Bree Gets Another Scary Letter

Sun, January 8, 2012 10:00pm EDT by 73 Comments
Courtesy of ABC

Another week, another twist in the season-long mystery. Who do YOU think has been sending these letters?

We may not know exactly who killed Chuck Vance (Jonathan Cake), but we got a pretty major clue on the Jan. 8 episode of Desperate Housewives — and like all good clues, it was saved until the final minutes. The same mystery person who sent the Mary Alice-esque letter to Bree (Marcia Cross) in the season premiere gifted her with a follow-up note this week: “You’re welcome.” Politeness has never been so chilling.

And the fact that Bree was even alive to receive said note means she didn’t end up killing herself, like we feared she would. Right when she was about to pull the trigger, she got an angry visit from Rene (Vanessa Williams), who was convinced Bree was shacked up at the motel with Ben (Charles Mesure). Once she figured out what was happening, Rene took it upon herself to become Bree’s personal watchdog — eventually becoming one of the best friends she’ll ever have.

While Carlos (Ricardo Chavira) may not have killed Chuck — as far as we know — he did spend some time at the police station. Apparently, after checking himself out of rehab, he drove drunk to the station and tried to confess to Alejandro’s murder. Fortunately that’s when the call came in about Chuck’s murder, so Carlos used the chaos to make his escape.

And to those who hoped that Lynette (Felicity Huffman) letting Tom (Doug Savant) in on her secret would help bring them back together, this week probably came as a major disappointment. Although Tom did spend some quality time with Lynette and the kids this week, Lynette realized Tom needed to be in Paris with Jane. (Is anybody else super-bored by Tom and Lynette these days? I thought their separation would re-invigorate their story line — not suck the life out of it.)

Despite everything I’ve written about, somehow Susan (Teri Hatcher) managed to be the craziest person this week. After trying to ditch her problems by escaping to New York City, Susan ultimately decided she needed to go to Oklahoma to tell Alejandro’s family about his death. Yeah, because I don’t see that blowing up in her face. Not at all.

I’d also like to take a minute to acknowledge Vanessa Williams for her work this week. It’s no secret her character has been completely misused during the past two seasons, so it was great to be reminded that — despite being completely wasted as an actress — she can still put on an incredible performance. If you didn’t get all misty-eyed during her speech at the church, you have no soul. Period.

So, what did you think of the winter premiere? Any new guesses about who sent the letter(s) to Bree? And do you think Susan made a huge mistake by going to Oklahoma? Drop your thoughts in the comments section below!

— Andy Swift

Follow Andy on Twitter for more Desperate Housewives

nike free 4.0 damen

Posted at 11:20 PM on November 27, 2013

Aw, this was a really nice post. In idea I would like to put in writing like this moreover – taking time and actual effort to make a very good article… however what can I say… I procrastinate alot and certainly not appear to get something done.

cuisinart griddler

Posted at 8:53 AM on June 15, 2012

Thank you a lot for sharing this with all folks you actually know what you are speaking about! Bookmarked. Please also seek advice from my website =). We will have a link exchange arrangement among us

chicago djs

Posted at 1:02 PM on June 12, 2012

Thank you for some other informative web site. The place else may just I am getting that kind of information written in such a perfect manner? I have a project that I am simply now operating on, and I’ve been on the look out for such information.

Empower Network UK

Posted at 3:14 PM on June 11, 2012

Wonderful work! That is the type of information that should be shared across the internet. Shame on Google for no longer positioning this submit upper! Come on over and talk over with my web site . Thank you =)

Julie D

Posted at 3:38 AM on May 15, 2012

I can”t wait – I’m asking for the spoiler – who was it?

Julie D

Posted at 1:43 AM on April 22, 2012

Karen McCluskey

Lydia

Posted at 11:19 AM on March 15, 2012

I’m in England and this episode has just been shown! Who killed chuck??? X

miss megannnn

Posted at 5:37 PM on January 16, 2012

Did everyone forget about Katherine?? I had a feeling she would be back before the end of the series and this would be the perfect way to twist her into it. She already proved herself to be a crazy bitch so I wouldn’t put it past her if she wrote the letters.

Also, I agree with Andy, Lynette and Tom’s relationship is just plain ANNOYING.

Mebe

Posted at 2:44 AM on January 14, 2012

This season got me glued to the t.v every Sunday nights not since season 5 can’t wait to find out who is writing those letters :D