Madonna Badger's Heartbreaking Eulogy: 'My Girls Are In My Heart'

Fri, January 6, 2012 9:52am EDT by 8 Comments
AP

Fighting back tears and unimaginable grief, ad exec Madonna gave a moving eulogy to the hundreds who had gathered to mourn the loss of her three young daughters in a tragic Christmas fire.

Grief-stricken Madonna Badger bravely spoke for 20 minutes to the sobbing crowd who had gathered at Saint Thomas Church on Fifth Avenue on Dec. 5 for the funeral of her three girls — Lily, 9, and twins Sarah and Grace, 7. “They left the world at such tender ages that all they left behind was love,” Madonna said, according to the NY Post.

“This is going to be really hard,” she began. “Lily, Gracie and Sarah are not here with us today, and they won’t be here tomorrow… but my little girls are not gone from us entirely.”

“My girls are in my heart,” she said as she placed her hand on her chest. “They’re right here. This is where they live now.”

The mourners openly weeped during the moving words, and dozens of the Stamford firefighters — who had tried in vain to save the girls — couldn’t hold back their tears.

“I want you to remember my girls out loud, to fight for them never to be forgotten,” she said. “This is why I can stand before you today.”

The three caskets each bore a wreath of pink and white flowers. “Why did this happen to my parents and my children, and why now?” she asked. “Nothing will bring my babies back.”

Madonna recalled each girl’s personality and shared “the smallest drops in an ocean of memories” about her “little girl tribe.”

Lily, the oldest, was a dancer and singer. Sarah was “the little whippersnapper” with “a fragile heart,” and Gracie was the fearless child who “loved completely.”

Madonna also recalled how the girls had discussed death and dying. “Gracie asked me a thousand times if she was going to die before me, and I said, ‘No, Gracie, no that’s never going to happen,” the grieving mother said. “But that happened.”

The inconsolable father, Matthew Badger, was too emotional to speak at the service. Folk singer Rufus Wainwright sang an a capella rendition of “Somewhere Over the Rainbow” and guests included Calvin Klein, Vera Wang and Philip Seymour Hoffman.

“At the funeral today, I saw something unbelievable,” Stamford Mayor Michael Pavia said. “I saw Madonna Badger stand up in her pew, walk to the pulpit and give a eulogy on her three daughters. And what she did — she actually gave everyone in the church a gift, an insight into each of her three little girls. And she did it with such dignity and such class.”

jennifer

Posted at 11:04 AM on January 14, 2012

i can’t help it,i feel so angry at god for this!i know we are supposed to lean on him in times like these,but i feel so much disgust,i cant imagine madonna’s strength,to get through the minutes,the hours…days,i dont know how one should have to,and esp. be able to bear this burden,they say “god never gives us more than we can handle”,well,i am not even part of this family,and i can hardly bear it all,i do not believe god would place such a heavy load/burden on anyone like this,it’s so surreal….i feel so sick,and horribly sad,that god would do this to these wonderful poeple,to any parent/family,im so sad,im so angry….when i looked up this news article(because i was curious as to the results ect..i discovered,to my horror!!!!…that there were several,too many,simular tradjedies,all around christmas time…i wonder,where is god?why do things like this have to happen,to anyone,anywhere?im angry!!

Honor

Posted at 2:42 PM on November 14, 2013

God had nothing to do with this. Just remember that Evil and Good fight each other every single day.

noreen

Posted at 5:00 PM on January 7, 2012

Cast thy burden upon the Lord, and He shall sustain thee; He shall never suffer the righteous to be removed.

hal denton

Posted at 6:49 AM on January 7, 2012

Awash
The human spirit defined without a thread to cover their exposed heart loss the keenest revealer
Nobility crowns the vanquished they have been driven to the farthest bounds of reason
Emptiness has scoured the former land of all existence they stand on the pinnacle they have
Reached the zenith of life’s meaning by going to it unspeakable depths every speck of turgid
Normalcy so prized gives way to anticline these rarefied heights know not one profane molecule
Those lost flew to this point and beyond you followed and now you gaze after them your longing
Presents never before known opportunity into this vacuum rushes the budding of purist riches
Your life has lost their human presence but you now start the decent marked by sorrow,
Loneliness, but with these two painful strangers you have become the wealthiest of human kind
Love is the only container that could rightly hold their essence you are given this charge and on
These slopes you just turned from their departure and its glory indefinable crowned you burned
All impurities up and now the pure raging fire has subsided you see the incorruptible seeds you
are now to plant as sure footed as the Doll sheep go now intersperse them among these heights
that predate the dawning of time your fellow man waste away looking at the plains and empty
Horizon these seeds out of time and personnel loss will dazzle give the influx of immortal
Thoughts that will destroy a people’s delusional limited harvest and give them the spring board
Of freedom to achieve dreams that before were believed to be impossible this is what I saw in
Your tear filled eyes not an end but the birth of hope mother and father and the girls didn’t die in
Vain they are the truth shinning as a vision all we have to do is look

Birmingham family

Posted at 9:45 PM on January 6, 2012

My condolences to your family. My you please find comfort in the Bible book of Psalm 55:22 there the Bible promises that God “he himself will sustain you.” My prayers are with you through this sadden occasion.

Connie Fischer and family

Posted at 7:44 PM on January 6, 2012

Unbearable anguish for these poor people. We were as touched by Matthew’s being unable to speak as we were by Madonna’s noble, heartwrenching eulogies for these three little girls. All we can do is wish Madonna and Matthew continued strength and may they find some solace in the knowledge that millions of people have been touched to the core by this tragedy.

Michelle

Posted at 6:02 PM on January 6, 2012

Absolutely heart wrenching. May you have peace at this time and know you will see them again.

Dannielle

Posted at 12:36 PM on January 6, 2012

Im truly sorry for your lose. I have only one 15 yr old girl and I could imagine ever looseing her. I am a single mother and things have been hard throughout the yrs, but I thank god I have her apart of my life. I wish this family all the peace and love that could be given to help fill the empty place in there hearts. God Bless them ALL.