'The Vampire Diaries' Recap: Elena Slaps Stefan And (Finally) Kisses Damon

Thu, January 5, 2012 11:59pm EDT by 112 Comments

Elena made her feelings about both Salvatore brothers pretty clear on the midseason premiere of ‘The Vampire Diaries.’ But will they last?

Let me begin by saying this, my friends: No, your eyes were not deceiving you during that last scene on the Jan. 5 episode of The Vampire Diaries. Damon (Ian Somerhalder) really did go in for the kiss, and yes, Elena (Nina Dobrev) really did kiss him right back. And it was super hot. The kiss was preceded by one of Damon’s legendary speeches, this time about how he feels so guilty for wanting his brother’s girlfriend. Thankfully he got over that pretty quickly, and decided that if he was going to feel guilty, he might as well have something to feel guilty about. Cue the kiss.

But this episode was about more than just long-awaited lip-locks — it was also about some pretty important information coming to light. For starters, Stefan (Paul Wesley) finally admitted that he only stopped Damon from killing Klaus (Joseph Morgan) in order to save him, and Damon did not receive this news too well. Unlike “Stelena” fans, Damon doesn’t appreciate his brother’s noble nature.

I’m not going to lie, I’m loving Stefan’s new bad-ass persona. I was worried that once he was free of Klaus’ compulsion, he’d revert back to being a vampire Peep, but no. He’s a total bad-ass.

I also, however, have to admit I feel really bad for Stefan. When Elena slapped him and told him to go to hell, the “Team Damon”-er inside of me wanted to enjoy it — but I couldn’t. Without knowing the whole truth, Elena’s anger was super misguided.

Jeremy (Steven R. McQueen) and Tyler (Michael Trevino) spent quite a bit of time together this week, but like most bromances on the show, it ended in disaster. It turns out Klaus’ newest hybrid was only hanging out with Jeremy so he could ween him off vervain, which would allow Klaus to compel him. And compel him Klaus did! He made Jeremy stand in front of an oncoming car — driven by one of his henchmen, of course — and Alaric (Matt Davis) had to jump in the way to save him.

This led Alaric straight into the waiting arms of Dr. Fell (Torrey DeVitto), who was more than a little curious about how Alaric healed so quickly. Like every role she plays — even the bats**t crazy ones — Torrey is adorable as Dr. Fell. She gives off a major Hart of Dixie vibe, which I dig.

Jeremy’s little scare was a wake-up call for Elena, who realized Klaus would stop at nothing to get what he wants. She and Alaric asked Damon to compel Jeremy to leave Mystic Falls and never look back — the classic Simba routine. I’ll admit it was heartbreaking watching Elena cry at the thought of her brother leaving town, but honestly, how often do people really stay away from Mystic Falls? Jeremy will be back soon… and probably hotter than ever.

As a last bit of good news, Bonnie (Kat Graham) finally got some juicy material this week. She’s been having a recurring dream about coffins, and her investigation led her straight to Stefan, who explained to her that the dead witches are keeping the coffins hidden from Klaus’ sight.

Klaus did, however, get Rebekah (Claire Holt) back — but just as I was starting to worry that she’d wake up and go straight after Elena, Klaus stuck the dagger back into her! He’s got plans, that one. And I don’t like ‘em.

OK, tell me what you thought about that kiss: Is it the start of a long, glorious romance for Damon and Elena — or will she go right back to Stefan as soon as they reunite? Hit up the comments section with your thoughts on the most epic lip-lock yet!

— Andy Swift

Follow Andy Swift on Twitter for more Vampire Diaries updates

Joycy

Posted at 1:34 PM on February 9, 2012

Wow i’ve always known that a Delena moment will occure sometime. But that kiss was something else i expect more of it though.

Mel

Posted at 6:28 AM on January 31, 2012

Stefan and Elena belong together. Its not his fault that klaus had him under his power. Besides he sacrificed all that for damon and elena!!! STELENA FOREVER

Sabina bastola

Posted at 6:57 AM on January 20, 2012

In which channel and at what time does it come. Plz one of u tell me plz.

Angélica Eiras

Posted at 1:24 PM on January 13, 2012

Oh myGod!!!
The kiss was so amaizing definitily!!!
I am so happy because she made the right dcision!!!!!

alro

Posted at 12:25 PM on January 11, 2012

DELENA. period. :)

Shameem

Posted at 10:42 AM on January 10, 2012

I tink e wil b owasm if Elena n demon mek out,bt its also sad for Stefan cz the two wa xsoooo mch in love! :(

bittersweet24

Posted at 9:00 AM on January 10, 2012

The kiss was so EPIC! It’s what I’ve been waiting for since I’ve started watching the show. I loved how Damon revolutionized from this really bad vampire to this sort of caring guy. And that is because of Elena. How it feels so good to be loved by the Salvatore brothers! I’m absolutely team DELENA but for some reason, like what the writers said, the show is about Stefan and Elena. For some unknown reason, I guess I want Stefan and Elena to get back together.

But I still can’t get over the kiss!

Jerica

Posted at 5:44 AM on January 9, 2012

The kiss was perfect and she definitely kissed him back, though it could’ve lasted a bit longer. I love Stefan, but I have to be team Delena. Stefan and Elena are sweet together, but they’re too comfortable, like an old shoe, or dare I say,… boring? They lack the intensity and chemistry of Damon and Elena. Damon and Elena seem fated. They’re written in the stars. They’ll have issues. Elena will never be able to mold Damon into a model, vampire citizen, but at the end of the day, his loyalty to and love for her is absolute. She’ll ultimately choose Damon.

Shameem

Posted at 10:46 AM on January 10, 2012

If Stefan stayz away in da nxt season then definetly Demon n Elena’s romance wil kik off!!
Bt nw dat Stefan z on da “dad- daughter” care of Elena due to Claus’ compltion then I dnt think Elena wil b able to fgeet him..

sabby

Posted at 11:29 AM on January 18, 2012

well u have 2 look at how much elena still loves stefan and tht kind of love just doesnt dissapear

ani

Posted at 2:22 AM on January 9, 2012

Oooh I want her to end up with Damon. He’s always been there for her regardless of her reciprocating, wonder if Stephan would have done the same this whole time…? He’s more stable and has stronger character than Stephan since he’s able to maintain his humanity while being a vampire without having to be completely one or the other (well, apart from the occasional slips which are just due to his unhappiness over not being able to have Elena). It was so nice to finally see him give himself a break and take the kiss and fantastic that it was returned.
(Ok, and Ian is crazy handsome so who doesn’t want to see more of that?!)

ana

Posted at 12:22 PM on January 8, 2012

DELENA FOREVER……….

Courtney

Posted at 9:30 AM on January 8, 2012

This is was amazing!!!! Can’t wait to see what the next episode has to offer. Kinda worried cuz I’m pretty sure Stefan kidnapps Elena… but we all know Damon will come to save her! Delena forever! :)

Katherine

Posted at 5:46 AM on January 8, 2012

I’m in England & it hasnt been shown yet but I cant wait for it to come on!!!!!!

giorgia

Posted at 12:22 AM on January 8, 2012

i don’t think Delena will be a couple soon.. i think in the nex ep we might see them in a awkward-mode (id like to see Damon joking about the kiis :D)
im gonna ignore the haters, this KISS was MAGICAL, we waited 54 episodes for this and im still in shock too (like Elena).. TEAM DELENA ♥

minnie :)

Posted at 5:03 PM on January 7, 2012

how true is that! malena vs. Stelena vs. Delena…. Quite the match-up here.. ha ha ha

minnie :)

Posted at 5:01 PM on January 7, 2012

Been waiting for that kiss all my vamp diaries life!!! They look sooooo good together, and I’m totally loving Damons bad guy who loves one girl thing going on, its sooo sexy and sweet at the same time… I <3 Vamp Diaries

Andrea

Posted at 4:48 PM on January 7, 2012

I really don’t think that Elena will be back with Stefan because he has hurt her so much and Damon has been with her on hard times, and sus knows that.
DELENA FOREVER!!! :3 I loved their kiss (‘:

J.l

Posted at 1:46 PM on January 7, 2012

This show is horrible. The plots seem absolutely forced because there’s really nothing they could write about except for spitting out more ‘big bads’. Delena is lame, Stelena is lame, Bonnie’s an annoying bitch who should be killed off; no one cares about Jeremy..This show sucks.

delena

Posted at 5:41 PM on January 8, 2012

if its so lame then y r u watching it watch something else u dont have to watch it unless u want

DELENA FOREVER.

Posted at 8:11 AM on January 11, 2012

The show should end with Delena not just because Damon’s extremely hot but because they have intimacy. <3 not like Stelena. They got together like on the first few episodes of season 1 ! Anywhoo, THE KISS WAS MAGICALL. Then I went to tumblr then watched all the kissing gifs of them. AHHIHI. Damon, bite me. :> What is obsession? :”> AHHAAHAHHA. LEGGO DELENA. asjcklasjnbcjsdchlksajdlkyeahhh. Lastly, I WOULD LIKE TO INFORM THE WORLD…IAN’S SO HOT. =P~~~

imiss stefan

Posted at 12:56 PM on January 7, 2012

I WANT OLD STEFAN BACK! STELENA!! stefan is the biggest jerk right now, even if he is only trying to protect elena in the long run. i mean common he said jeremy dying “wasnt his problem” which caused elena to slap him which he TOTALLY deserved. i miss lexi and mason, and katherine is acutally good now i think

Elmira

Posted at 6:10 AM on January 7, 2012

well guys Be realistic Stefan has done too much sacrifice for Both Damon and Elena. and because she is too “kind” her guilt won’t let her to d=stay with Damon. Elena is Stefan’s girl!Suck it DELENA CLUB!!!!

grace

Posted at 3:05 PM on January 11, 2012

get out of the stone ages!!!! she is elena gilbert NOT PROPERTY OF STEFAN SALVATORE!!! she belongs 2 nobody but herself.

Bella

Posted at 4:20 AM on January 7, 2012

DELENA FOREVER♥

katerina

Posted at 2:29 AM on January 7, 2012

DELENA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dr. Jane

Posted at 1:01 AM on January 7, 2012

Okay. I’ve had enough of this Stelena vs. Delena war. Don’t get too absorbed in guessing which of the Salvatore brothers Elena will choose in the end. Who knows, maybe Elena will just end up with Matt. Now we have Malena vs. Stelena vs. Delena. Ooops. Hahaha!

Charlotte

Posted at 10:44 PM on January 6, 2012

I am a true-blue Delena fan, but I’ll try to be neutral.

I think things will get a tad awkward between Damon and Elena now, and they’ll probably decide to try and make it work as a couple the moment Stefan turns good again (future sigh).

For the next couple of seasons I predict Elena jumping between brothers before making her final decision in the finale season’s finale episode’s final minute. AND, I actually wouldn’t be suprised if she chose Damon – either that or it will be an “open ending”.

But oh yeah, almost forgot – this week’s kiss? FREAKING EPIC

Melika

Posted at 9:21 PM on January 6, 2012

Team stelena!!!
And I want Elena and Stefan to get back together as soon as possible !!!

Rachel

Posted at 7:54 PM on January 6, 2012

I´m a Delena´s fan and i gotta say that the kiss was absolutely unexpected and amazing!! but i thought i saw Damon stop kissing Elena and she wanted more. and she was like “what?” u think that? does anyone else saw it?

Andy Garcia