'The Secret Circle' Recap: Cassie Unleashes Her Dark Powers — But Is She Evil?

Thu, January 5, 2012 10:00pm EDT by 11 Comments

Crazy powers, hot grandmas, and — oh yes — Chris Zylka. What more could we ask for from the ‘Secret Circle’ midseason premiere?

2012 is going to be a dark year for Ms. Cassie Blake (Britt Robertson). Not only did she learn about her Balcoin heritage on the Jan. 5 episode of The Secret Circle, but she also summoned some serious dark magic for her most epic spell yet — and I’m not talking about the choking spell that almost killed Adam (Thomas Dekker.) That one was a no-no.

Cassie’s history lesson came courtesy of Diana’s (Shelley Hennig) super-hot grandma Kate (Stepfanie Kramer) who made a surprise trip to Chance Harbor this week. Right from the start, she was all kinds of suspicious of Dawn’s (Natasha Henstridge) motives for dating Charles (Gale Harold) — and for good reason!

(Sidenote: Let’s forget Cassie’s lineage for a minute and focus on Diana’s. Between Gale Harold as her dad and Stepfanie Kramer as her grandma… Hot damn, that’s a good-looking family tree.)

But Cassie remained Kate’s bigger fish to fry, so she lured the poor girl out into the woods with promises of exorcising the evil powers inside of her. Her real plan was to take Cassie through a whole bunch of nonsense — which for some reason involved a giant twig — then knock her out and bury her alive. (What a bitch, right?) The only way for Cassie to escape was to summon some serious dark magic and expel herself from the ground. Which she did, and it was incredible.

Faye (Phoebe Tonkin) was also up to no good as always, but this time, she dragged Melissa (Jessica Parker Kennedy) into her shenanigans. Desperate to use magic outside of the circle, she tracked down a young voodoo apprentice — played by Friday Night LightsGrey Damon, who has somehow gotten even better looking — for a little power boost. But she got more than she bargained for when he started drawing symbols on her boob.

Despite all the boob-touching, Faye’s little voodoo hottie didn’t actually get her any power — but I’m thinking this isn’t the last we’ll see of him. She gave him a pretty sexy look as she walked away, and we all know that Faye’s eyes are the real stars around here.

Personally, I can’t wait to see just how dark Cassie gets by the end of the season. It’s fun watching someone as tiny and adorable as Britt Robertson go to a place you wouldn’t expect. And based on Cassie’s reaction to using her dark magic, I’m thinking we’ll be seeing a lot more of it. Very soon.

“I liked it,” she said. “The feeling of power. I know that it isn’t right … but it felt really good.”

And I can’t think of a better way to end this recap than by discussing the return of everyone’s favorite v-necker Jake (Chris Zylka)! He may have disappeared on a boat in December, but he’s still very much in Chance Harbor. He made two glorious appearances this week, first in Cassie’s dream — where she killed him (awkward) — and then lurking outside Cassie’s window, which was also kind of awkward. But still totally hot.

So what did you think of the episode? Are you looking forward to Cassie getting even darker? And just for fun, who do you think Cassie belongs with — Jake or Adam? Drop your every thought in the comments section below.

— Andy Swift

Follow Andy on Twitter for more Secret Circle updates

courage hodkins

Posted at 10:34 AM on April 11, 2012

dis movie is gr8.

Brenda

Posted at 3:12 PM on January 12, 2012

Brit is amazing i lov this episode it wUz ALSOME scary nd i lov faye “its always the short nd shy ones u got to look out” lol she is sk rite

Faye

Posted at 9:46 PM on January 6, 2012

This episode was fantastic. I thought that Britt Robertson gave a great performance. And I really want Cassie to end up Jake! I think they have such a great connection. They’d be amazing together. At the beginning of the show, and the first few episodes, I wanted Cassie to be with Adam because that’s what the show kind of steered me into but now since Jake came into the picture, I am so for Jassie. I can’t wait for more episode this season. (:

bitchstolemyremote

Posted at 2:11 PM on January 6, 2012

The problem is that I don’t think that the show is going to really explore Cassie’s darkness – not when she’s the main character. It’s better when they explore how she’ll control it, so it’s good that Jake has returned.

Grandma MILF was a bitch, but I wish they had of kept her around to stir up more trouble. Why introduce her, have her try to kill Cassie and bolt all in one episode? Where’s the fire?!

Our take: http://wp.me/p1VQBq-iC

Belinda

Posted at 9:00 AM on January 6, 2012

Oh most definitely it was a great start to 2012. You said it well “someone as tiny and adorable as Britt Robertson go to a place you wouldn’t expect.” Britt did a fabulous job & Phoebe always steals the limelight in her scenes but for good reasons, not over acting just good acting. Great little review. V necker- LoL

Taylor

Posted at 11:54 PM on January 5, 2012

I honestly don’ t know which guy is better! Jake knows more about her, it intrigues Cassie..but at the end of the last season’s episode the head witch hunter guy told Jake that Cassie isn’t the only one in the circle with Balcoin blood…So that got me thinking that Jake is the other member( who knows)… But Adam issweet SUPER HOT and his relationship with Cassie drives me crazy! I really want those two to be together, i love how the two of them havethis mysterious love ( drives me crazy)…I havevotes on Adam!!!!!

krystal

Posted at 10:40 PM on January 5, 2012

I read the books years ago so if they follow the books, which they really haven’t then I know who she will end up with and hopefully they don’t

Alyse

Posted at 10:44 PM on January 5, 2012

I haven’t read the books but I know who she ends up with in them. I think the show has different characters in it than the books too. I want Cassie to be with Jake, they have awesome chemistry and Chris Zylka is so hot!

Anon

Posted at 10:20 PM on January 5, 2012

Loved every minute of it! Everyone was on their A-Game in this episode and it was so refreshing to see new scenery. Also, this episode felt very different from the previous 9. The lighting of the show was much better, and through the dialogue alone it opened up sooo many more possibilities for this show to go and it seemed to hint at a lot of things to come. I can’t wait for next week! Did you SEE that promo? Not only does it win for having a Fire & Ice Dance (AWESOME THEME), but it looks like it’s going to be WILD!

Gabby

Posted at 10:29 PM on January 5, 2012

I 100% agree with you! I can’t wait for the next episode!!!

Alyse

Posted at 10:11 PM on January 5, 2012

Cassie and Jake all the way! I thought Dianna’s grandma was crazy, like seriously she burried Cassie alive. I don’t think Cassie is going to be evil but she’s definetly going to struggle with her dark magic. I have to say my favorite part was the very end where Jake was outside the window looking incredibly hot!