'Jane By Design' Series Premiere Recap: Jane Lands The Job Of Her Dreams

Tue, January 3, 2012 10:05pm EDT by 6 Comments

Will you be making room on your DVR for ‘Jane By Design?’ Tell us what you think of ABC Family’s newest series!

When we first met Jane Quimby (Erica Dasher) in the first few minutes of Jane By Design, she was a hapless, hopeless high school student with seemingly impossible dreams — but by the end of the Jan. 3 series premiere, she was a super-confident lady with a penchant for identity fraud. Of course, Jane could never have completed her journey from small-town duckling to big-city swan without a little help.

Thanks to one incredibly under-qualified human resources employee, Jane’s interview for an internship at NYC fashion house Donovan Decker turned into an interview for the executive assistant position to head honcho Gray Murray (Andie MacDowell.) Though she only communicated with Jane via satelitte — she spends most of her time in Thailand, apparently — Gray proved herself to be one seriously hellish boss.

In case you missed the big premiere, here’s a quick rundown of the people in Jane’s life you’ll quickly learn to love… or love to hate:

>>> Billy Nutter (Nick Roux) is Jane’s platonic (for now) best friend who pretty much saves her ass from getting caught on an hourly basis. Also, he’s got the coolest hair in the tri-state area.

>>> India Jordain (India de Beaufort) is directly underneath Gray at Donovan Decker — and she’s gunning for her job. She’s hot, she’s loud, and she’s pure evil.

>>> Jeremy Jones (Rowley Dennis) is Donovan Decker’s latest import, a womanizing Englishman who manages to (literally) charm the pants off anyone he encounters. (Buckle that belt, Jane!)

>>> Ben Quimby (David Clayton Rogers) is Erica’s older brother, who’s been struggling to take care of her since their father died. His life is sad.

>>> Lulu Pope (Meagan Tandy) is pretty much the biggest mean girl at Jane’s school. Oh yeah, she’s also secretly hooking up with Billy!

>>> Nick Fadden (Matthew Atkinson) is basically the dreamiest of dream boats at Jane’s school.

Between school, work and her family, it’s pretty safe to say Jane’s in completely over her head — and we’re going to love watching her swim! (Or sink, whatever.)

What did you think of the Jane By Design premiere? Drop your reviews in the comments section below!

— Andy Swift

Follow Andy on Twitter for more Jane By Design updates

Bliss

Posted at 4:09 AM on January 11, 2012

I was with a “billy” once but I broke his heart. Oh and now I miss him dearly though I don’t know if I’d ever want to do that again, haha. I don’t really know either guy, the cute one or the one in her fashion world, what are their names again? LoL!!! I honestly can’t remember. I like the older one only because he seems more sophisticated and has more of a personality, then again he’s more of an ass too. And the younger one is cute but he just comes off as whatever personality, hmmm he could be charming, we’ll see. Honestly, none of these guys are like Ethan on The Lying Game. The Lying Game is one of my favorite shows by the way. And this girl’s acting could be better, she’s trying hard to be Anne Hathaway but she’s just not animated enough, but she’s sweet and endearing so I guess that’s enough.

Ellie

Posted at 11:07 PM on January 3, 2012

I liked it. It was fun, typical ABC Family type show.

I dunno, but I just have a weird feeling that Grey is actually Jane’s mom. Wonder if that’s where the show is going?

angel

Posted at 10:52 PM on January 3, 2012

I really don’t want Billy and Jane to get together. It’s basically just making it seem that girls can’t have guys for best friends unless one of them is gay. It always turns into something romantic. Always! Why can’t they just be friends and that’s all? I don’t really like the pairing of Billy with Lulu, but I guess it’s different. I actually screamed when I saw them together tonight. Anyway, we’ll see. It was an overall good episode. Reminiscent of Devil Wears Prada, but still a charming story.

Hannah

Posted at 10:33 PM on January 3, 2012

I can’t wAit

Alyse

Posted at 10:17 PM on January 3, 2012

This show seems pretty cool. I definetly want Jane and Billy to get together! I don’t really like the idea of Billy and Lulu though. The clothes on this show are so cute though! Billy definetly has awesome hair.

Andy Swift