‘Jane By Design’ premieres Jan. 3 at 9 p.m. on ABC Family & we got all the scoop from the show’s star, Erica Dasher!
Jane By Design may not look like your typical ABC Family show — no one gets killed, pregnant, or switched at birth — but it’s still got all the makings of a fun, addictive hit. Erica Dasher stars as high school student Jane Quimby, a plucky fashionista the assistant to fashion retailer Grey Murray (Andie MacDowell). Not only have I had the privilege of checking out the first few episodes, but the show’s star also chatted up HollywoodLife.com, inspiring us to give the five reasons we can’t get enough of Jane By Design.
And now… my five reasons why you need to check out the series premiere:
1. The fashion: While I may not be able to tell the difference between a pair of jeggings and a pair of Pajama Jeans, I do know that each episode of Jane By Design is like a mini style parade. “I’ve sort of admired fashion from afar, so it’s been really fun to immerse myself in this world,” Erica told me of playing a fashion-obsessed character. “I’m not on a law show or a medical show — I get to wear pretty clothes.”
2. The catfights: Jane’s journey to style stardom is not without a few bumps in the road — and its biggest bump is named India (India de Beaufort)! The former One Tree Hill actress butts heads with Erica’s Jane as she tries to steal her boss’ job, though Erica says India couldn’t be any less like her character. “In real life, she’s … the nicest human on the planet,” Erica insists. “She’s a great baker and she sews and cleans and sings and keeps a very lovely house.” (Does anyone else think she sounds like a Disney princess?)
3. The dudes: Let’s be honest — ABC Family has gotten male casting down to a science, so it should come as no surprise that every single guy on Jane By Design is either ridiculously handsome or ridiculously charming. Or both. Usually both. From Jane’s “platonic” best friend Billy (Nick Roux) to her high school crush Nick (Matthew Atkinson), there’s no shortage of eye candy on the show.
4. Andie MacDowell: If you’re like me and you know Andie best from her role in Groundhog’s Day, prepare to fall in love with a very different side of her. As head honcho Grey Murray, she’s sassy, she’s bitchy, and she’s hilarious. And even though we only see Grey’s face on a screen for the first few episodes, Erica promises her relationship with Jane grows over the course of the show. “Jane definitely earns Grey’s respect — and some cooler clothes,” Erica says. “They become friends, so you see Jane emulating parts of Grey and vice versa.”
5. It’s relatable: The fact is we’ve all been in Jane’s shoes (bad pun intended.) We can all relate to the plight of a young girl working hard to achieve her dreams, which makes Jane such a great character to root for. “We’re in very similar spaces, so it’s very easy for me to access all of her excitement and nerves,” Erica tells me. “My own life looks very similar right now.”
OK, now you know why I’ll be tuning into Jane By Design. Click here to check out the show’s official website, and be sure to watch the premiere at 9 p.m. on Jan. 3!