Katy Perry, Kim Kardashian & Sinead O'Connor: Marriage Is A Serious Commitment, Not A Joke!

Tue, December 27, 2011 6:37pm EST by 22 Comments

It’s not supposed to be something that’s just a fabulous wedding party and then easily discarded after 72, or 18 days, or even just a year!

What is going on in Hollywood? 2011 has been the year of considering marriage a joke among many celebrities. British songstress Sinead O’Connor just announced she’s ending her marriage to Barry Herridge, the “Nothing Compares 2 U” singer, after just 18 days of wedded life. Meanwhile, Katy Perry was spotted on a remote beach in Kauai without her husband Russell Brand or her wedding ring on Dec. 26 AND she only just celebrated her first wedding anniversary on Oct. 23.

Just a year ago, Katy and Russell had a HUGE wedding, complete with elephants walking down the red carpet and a Bollywood-themed party in India.

Kim Kardashian, of course, infamously filed for divorce from Kris Humphries 72 days after her $10 million “fairytale” wedding replete with three Vera Wang wedding dresses.

Then there was Ashton Kutcher, who threw discretion out the window and allegedly brazenly bedded blonde Sarah Leal on his sixth wedding anniversary. Then he seemed clueless as to why then-wife Demi Moore, didn’t want to stay in the marriage.

Of course, how can celebrities possibly take marriage seriously when the ex-Governor of the state of California, Arnold Schwarzenegger, was discovered having an affair this year with the family’s housekeeper, Mildred Baena and it turned out that he fathered her son, Joseph, now 13?

From Tiger Woods to Jesse James, who cheated on Sandra Bullock repeatedly right under her nose, to Kobe Bryant to Kelsey Grammer, who actually secretly lived with his mistress in New York City for months before informing his wife, Camille, that he wasn’t into their marriage anymore — celebs have repeatedly made a mockery out of marriage.But Katy, Kim, Sinead, Kelsey, Ashton and Arnold, just think about this — no one FORCED you to get married. You didn’t have to tie the knot. And you shouldn’t have said marriage vows if you didn’t fully intend to stay married …without any mistresses — until your last day on Earth.

Marriage is meant to be the ultimate commitment. You’re signing up to be a partner and BFF for life. That’s supposed to benefit YOU! It’s also supposed to benefit any children you may have, by giving them the emotional and financial security they deserve.

Instead, you all decided other things — whether they were women or fame or fun, were more important than deep loyal love and commitment.

Now, even though Arnold Schwarzenegger behaved abominably to Maria, I have to commend him for refusing to throw in the towel on his marriage. He apparently is working hard on being a different, non-cheating Arnold and is laboring to win Maria back. Likewise, I commend Maria for considering taking him back.

My point is: Maria and now Arnold do realize that marriage and family are not jokes. Their four children will be happier and better off if Arnold can mend his ways and he and Maria can be together.

I’ve been married (shockingly) for 28 years and I can sure tell you that it’s very worthwhile to stick it out.

So Katy and Russell — are you sure you should throw in the towel after a year? Did your love really evaporate that quickly? Are you sure that with compromise, you can’t work it out? Sinead — I don’t know what to say to you…and Kim, your decision appears to be firm.

But maybe Katy and Russell — there is still hope. Remember, marriage is commitment, not a joke!

— Bonnie Fuller

More Russell & Katy!

1. Katy Perry & Russell Brand’s Marriage Is ‘On The Rocks,’ Say Multiple Sources
  2. Selena Gomez, Katy Perry & More: Hollywood’s Sexiest Santas
  3. Katy Perry’s Pastel Fashion & Beauty Looks Match Her New Fragrance Bottle

Email me! | Follow Hollywoodlife.com on Twitter | Become a Facebook fan

rosa

Posted at 2:57 AM on February 6, 2012

Y are you comparing yourself to a celebrity marriage when you’re not even close to understanding what it’s like to be a celebrity couple? I’m not making excuses for these pple cuz they do seem to rush into things too quickly but y not use a couple in Hollywood that made it without there being a divorce after many many years…

gbtw

Posted at 3:17 PM on January 3, 2012

i agree re maria and arnold (tho i wouldn’t want the creep back), but i don’t know what i think about the 72 day and 18 day and 1 year things. if it sux from the beginning, to you try to “save face” and make something out of it, or go back on your search? i find it annoying that people jump in so quickly when they’re clearly not certain- or else why would you quit after 2 weeks… 2 months? but with katy- if he truly couldn’t be around her b/c of her partying, well, that’s a good reason… if real. can’t sacrifice sobriety for marriage.

Atiya Spence

Posted at 12:36 AM on January 3, 2012

If you marry someone you only met for three weeks, four months or eighteen days and it ends in divorce, it’s all on you. You don’t know that person to begin with and you married them for your own selfish reasons and that’s not love- even if your an hopeless romantic. I’m an hopeless romantic but i’m also an very logic person.

vmarquez

Posted at 8:45 PM on January 31, 2012

Yes you are a very logic and flair for fashion.

Z

Posted at 12:22 PM on January 2, 2012

I don’t think Katy married the right man for her…not like I know either one of them though.

top-notch

Posted at 2:03 PM on January 1, 2012

Personally, I do not care how long anyone is married for because it is not mu life and I do not have to live with their decision. At the same time, they have to learn about the meaning of marriage. I feel like they are taking marriage as a joke,when its not. It is not just the celebs who are doing this crap, it is us, the non famous people who is doing this stupid crap as well. Who in their right mind, famous or not, get married just a few months after knowing each other? I am not saying that all marriage succeed when you’ve known that person for years but the divorce is more likly to happen if you jumo the gun after a few months, due to the fact you guys barely know one another.

Me

Posted at 9:23 PM on December 31, 2011

I totally agree. So many celebs are just getting together after about a month. They don’t realize the commitment, and that you can’t continue to party all the time. Personally, I think lots of celebrities are just self centered, and don’t really are about their marriage once the glitz and glam wears off. (some, not all). But I put no on the Katy and Russell vote, because I don’t think they were in love. Maybe they could try, but I think it would be another mistake.

sueQ

Posted at 9:17 PM on December 29, 2011

to be honest, i don’t really care how long people care to stay married, what irritates me more is the amount they’re spending on their weddings, why not elope, then give the money they were going to spend on a big, and in my opinion pointless wedding to a charity or something? or at least down size it, the scale that some celebrities go to is ridiculous

Lilimax

Posted at 6:15 AM on December 29, 2011

Marriage is a sacred institution ordained by God. It should be treated as such. It is not meant for boys/girls rather it is meant for two mature male and female that are ready for life committment. Marriage should be for better for worse…It is learning institution for both couple till death do them path.REMEMBER: God hates divorce and likewise seperation.

Yannie

Posted at 6:40 PM on December 29, 2011

God also hates cheating which 1/2 of the guys on this list did. Sorry but I’d rather divorce because my husband/wife was a cheating scumbag then stay with them now matter what God says is right. Cheating is cheating and VERY hard to forgive.

lolanyc

Posted at 12:59 PM on December 28, 2011

I dont see the big deal. Noone will ever know the truth in someones marriage, u dont walk in their shoes. people have all sorts of reasons for leaving. Life is short I wouldnt stay with someone if they made me miserable. Yes I’d try and work it out but if only one of u cares.. then its all pointless. People need to mind their own damn business and get lives of your own. Instead of picking on celebrity marraiges, or anyones for that matter. This world has gone to shi*.

Robbie

Posted at 2:59 PM on December 28, 2011

If a spouse makes you miserable, then why did you marry them in the first place? Marriage is a commitment, a vow (promise), and in some religions a sacrament!

ryan

Posted at 9:45 PM on December 30, 2011

u never kno ppl change ive seen that with my parents. they break up all the time. it breaks my heart

Lilimax

Posted at 6:21 AM on December 29, 2011

Lolonyc:I disgree with you. The rate at which celebrities divorce is getting out of hand. They are making mockery of marriage which is a holy institution ordained by God.
Marriage is a life learning process and even one is not ready to tolerate the next person, don’t go into it at all.
God hates divorce!

Dan

Posted at 8:11 AM on December 28, 2011

Why would u take such an expensive ring to the beach it could easly be lost in the sea

Jess

Posted at 4:02 PM on December 30, 2011

Thats so true. My husband lost his ring while swimming in the sea

Dhamma

Posted at 7:09 AM on December 28, 2011

I agree that mariagge is not a joke, but do you know there is a huge difference between those two mariagges? i don’t know if Haty’s marriage is going south, but even if it is, at least they were married for love, not for the show.

Me

Posted at 9:25 PM on December 31, 2011

They weren’t in love though. They thought they were, but they just liked each other a lot, and rushed to quickly. If the were in love, they would not be divorcing after a year.

Britt

Posted at 2:32 AM on December 28, 2011

What are you talking about? Katy and russel aren’t divorced. You’re making things up.

I do agree with you and your view on marriage. It’s serious, and I agree. If I choose to marry someone it’s for life. I want the man I’m with to view it the same. I do not believe in divorce! I believe in sticking it out and making it work. I truly do. It really makes me sad when couples just give up. Married couples that is. The only deal breaker though, is if abuse is in the relationship, even then I’d try to work it out. It really gets me sentimental – divorce.

Kelsi

Posted at 12:16 PM on December 31, 2011

Russel filed for divorce.

m.

Posted at 2:39 PM on January 3, 2012

russel filed for divorce last week

selena

Posted at 7:38 PM on December 27, 2011

sinead o connor is irish not british