Demi Lovato's Christmas Message: If You Have An Eating Disorder, Get Help

Sun, December 25, 2011 3:10pm EST by 8 Comments
Demi Lovato Glamour

Demi Lovato wants her fans to know there’s always help — and hope — if you’re struggling with an eating disorder

After lashing out at The Disney Channel for joking about anorexia, Demi Lovato revealed more of her struggle with eating disorders on her Seventeen blog — and encouraged her fans in need to find the help and support they deserve to recover.

“I started compulsively overeating at a very young age,” Demi begins in the blog. “And then I almost stopped eating altogether at the age of 12, after being harassed by kids at school, for being ‘fat’. My eating disorder will continue to affect me for the rest of my life, but I’m proud to say that I got the help I needed, and am now the happiest and healthiest I have ever been!”

Demi, 19, admitted herself into rehab last year for emotional and physical problems, including cutting and eating disorders, and has since been open about her plight, in an effort to help those suffering from similar issues.

The former Disney starlet has also partnered with the Jed Foundation for the Love Is Louder Than the Pressure To Be Perfect campaign, which encourages “everyone to love who they are and embrace the so-called ‘flaws’ that actually make each of us unique.”

Demi concludes her post, writing, “You can get help, and you can feel better. STAY STRONG!”

Loading video...

More Demi:

1. Demi Lovato Vs. Nicki Minaj: Matching Ice Cream Cone Nails
  2. Demi Lovato Looks Natural & Gorgeous In ‘Glamour’ Outtakes
  3. Demi Lovato Performing At People’s Choice Awards 2012

duran

Posted at 11:22 AM on February 13, 2012

So, my daughter was quite inspired by Demi’s song “Skyscraper”, as many young girls have been. Keep it up, Demi. Stay on track.

emmie grace27

Posted at 10:44 PM on January 24, 2012

Hey I know what Demi feels like I went through the same thing. Eating disorders and cutting myself. I was a cheerleader and popular and no people think I’m mental. If I could go back I wouldn’t because I am rebuilding my life and I’m a whole new me. I never could have done it with out the modivation that Demi had!!

molly

Posted at 3:15 AM on January 11, 2012

hey demi biddest fan ever please come to australia for concert

lilly

Posted at 3:14 AM on January 11, 2012

hey demi i’m your number 1 fan i love you please come to australia for a concert

christina

Posted at 2:44 AM on January 1, 2012

I suffer from anorexia, bulimia, depression and self harm as well. Hearing your story and hopeful words has restored my faith in recovery. I’ve been in and out of treatment for 9 months and can’t afford it anymore but I won’t give up. It’s a nasty disease but together all of us who are suffering can battle against it. Thank you for giving us hope.

Kelly Green

Posted at 6:21 PM on December 29, 2011

Thanks Demi for taking the high road. And Kiersten for bringing it to our attention!

Remember, if you need help, talk to someone! It’s a dangerous disease, and there are those willing to listen.

I can testify to the fact that there are those that understand.

Here’s some of the better eating disorder treatment facilities I’ve found with a little help from Google:

AvalonHill.com and http://www.raderprograms.com for adults, and for teenagers/parents http://www.edreferral.com.

Anyway, don’t take it alone.

Doug

Posted at 11:01 AM on December 26, 2011

She should consider running for President.

hellokitty2142

Posted at 6:45 PM on December 25, 2011

that’s good I do hope girls out there who have an eating diisoder have heard this message :)