'X Factor' Aftermath: What Will Happen To Chris Rene & Josh Krajcik?

Fri, December 23, 2011 2:44am EST by 62 Comments
X Factor USA Winner

I’m thrilled for Melanie Amaro, but will Josh Krajcik and Chris Rene fall off the map after losing on ‘The X Factor’?

Adam Lambert, Clay Aiken, Jennifer Hudson: it’s happened before on American Idol. The second and even third place (and lower) contestants end up outdoing the original winner — so will this happen with The X Factor‘s Chris Rene and Josh Krajcik?

In an unpredictable finale Dec. 22, the two performers lost out to Melanie Amaro for a $5 million recording contract AND a Pepsi commercial. So where does this leave them? Empty handed?

I know the show gave them each a platform for their music and a fan base of millions of people, which they didn’t have six months ago, but I kind of wish they could have split the recording deal three ways. That would have left them with more than a million each — AND a recording contract. Boom!

Sadly, that’s not how it went down.

There’s no doubt in my mind Josh and Chris will try their darndest to break into the music world outside of the reality show, but I really hope mentors Simon Cowell and L.A. Reid don’t leave them to fend for themselves. Both of those guys have the means and the power within the industry to help Chris and Josh thrive. After growing close to them throughout the competition, you’d think they would extend a helping hand.

Additionally, Josh and Chris both have young kids — they won’t be able to put work aside and pursue money without an income. Unless success comes fast, I don’t know how they’ll be able to support their families AND hustle to create an album.

What do you think? Should L.A. and Simon make sure Chris and Josh are taken care of — or should they prove themselves all over again?

Loading video...

Click here for photo highlights from season one!

More ‘X Factor:’

1. Kirstin Says: Is Rachel Crow, 14, Too Young For The ‘X Factor’ Spotlight?
  2. ‘X Factor’ Results: Was Rachel Crow Or Marcus Canty Eliminated?
  3. ‘X Factor’ Finalist Rachel Crow Reveals Emotional Tribute To BFF Drew Ryniewicz

Nikki

Posted at 12:31 AM on December 24, 2011

I will definitely be on the lookout for Chris Rene CD, so impressed by his independent CD Soul’d Out…anyone with 11 million hits on a single YouTube video has a large fanbase

lin333

Posted at 11:22 PM on December 23, 2011

Happy with the results because I voted for Melanie all along. Chris, unfortunately, and I hope not, may go back to using because he is so new in his sobriety and I think it was unfair of L.A. Reid to ignore the power of addiction while mentoring him. Josh is a nice guy, but does look insane when he sings and is way too shy in front of the camera to make it in the entertainment business. But, who knows? In my opinion, Steve Jones needs to go because he makes a lousy host who is in such a hurry he may as well be on speed. I do wish best to all of them, and would encourage them to follow their dreams!

stevie wonder

Posted at 10:49 PM on December 23, 2011

when i heard chris rene sing I was pissed off that I’m blind when i wish i could have been deaf. he is a pitiful singer that all future bad singers out there just do lots of drugs and say your recovering and the fools of america will vote for you remember they voted for a coke head president not once but twice american taste hahahaha next you’ll tell us that jesus is coming back in your next piece of toast or maybe if you look hard enough he’ll appear in your next bowl movement

JJ

Posted at 10:14 PM on December 23, 2011

I really do not see anything special regarding all three contestant. The winner special moment came when she sang Beyonce song, I am not impress at all. She will flop as an artist, nothing authentic about her.

Barb W

Posted at 10:05 PM on December 23, 2011

I am so happy with the results. It was the right top 2 and the right person one. As we all know, the person with the most talent and the best voice does not usually win. America got it right this time. I like Josh a lot too and would have been fine with him winning but Melanie is my favorite. The second place finisher usually does better than the winner so I’m sure Josh will do great. I can’t wait for Melanie’s CD. I will definitely be getting it.

Barb W

Posted at 10:06 PM on December 23, 2011

Whoops. I meant the right person won, not one!

simpliertia

Posted at 9:40 PM on December 23, 2011

Melanie deserves it….Josh is okay and Chris can’t sang at all. Too may times Males wins the shows. Whats’ original about Josh and Chris really? Melanie is real and most are haters. i will buy her music without any doubt. Josh does not look like a star and Chris appearsw fragile. Great job Melanie. You go girl

Teeituptr

Posted at 10:31 PM on December 23, 2011

You don’t know a thing about music! You should stop speaking now. Both these guys can sing and sing well. What’s authentic about them …duh … everything. Could you compose music, write lyrics and sing a song like Young Homie … OR … play multiple instruments and sing like Joe Cocker.

It’s fine to route for your home girl, but for heavens sakes don’t sound like a fool.

helllokitty

Posted at 5:33 PM on December 23, 2011

im pretty sure there gonna be fine. Josh and chris are amazing singers and i can tell they will be singing on stage again. :)

nanlu

Posted at 5:18 PM on December 23, 2011

Well for starters that was a great show.ill have to admit……any could have won…..liked that they did christmas music and could understand the words,,,,,,only 50 cents left me as that music leaves me cold…..must be my age although the BIEB WAS GREAT.,, amd can understand that age group and what they think of him…..awesome talent that kid has……..anyway hope the next season will hve the kinks worked out and the needed changes made,,,,,to me there are plenty and to many to mention……on to another season Simon……

Judy B.

Posted at 5:08 PM on December 23, 2011

I will not buy her music. Anyone who claims they “deserve it” is full of it. I do recall hearing she had no confidence in herself most all her life ~ and now she is just cocky. I was disappointed to she her attitude after singing the last song and if looks could have killed L.A. would be dead. The other two contestants will do far better than Melanie. I don’t believe Melanie will go the distance. Enjoy it while you can Melanie!

Sherry W.

Posted at 3:41 PM on December 23, 2011

I believe that each final contestant had a great talent in their own ways. I thought Melanie’s voice was incredible but I would not buy her music. I love Josh and will buy his music if he gets the chance to put out his own CD. I will, also buy Chris Rene’s music. I want a copy of “where do we go from here”. That is pure talent when a singer can write, sing, play an instrument or two and reach so many people of all ages. I am a pretty conservative 48 year old and my kids are grown, I am a professional, but I love Chris Rene, he would be my favorite, second Josh, third Melanie. A beautiful lady by the way. Kentucky Fan

Richard

Posted at 3:39 PM on December 23, 2011

my aunt makes $73 hourly on the internet. She has been unemployed for 9 months but last month her check was $7938 just working on the internet for a few hours. Here is the site CashHard.c ò m

Yolanda

Posted at 2:39 PM on December 23, 2011

Well I thought everyone on the XFactor was great. I agree and hope the Siomon and LA will help both Chris Rene and Josh Krajcik further there career. They all did so great it was very difficult to choose one my favorite were both Melanie and Chris Rene and at the end I really did not want to choose one or the other. I would buy both of there recording. I hope to see Chris Rene in the future with some recordings and even some acting.

zanessalost

Posted at 2:00 PM on December 23, 2011

lareid and simon should deff help those two they have alot to offer and i wish them nothing but the best success!!!!!!!!:)
happy holidays everyone “<>”

galey

Posted at 12:30 PM on December 23, 2011

I don’t think the right person won – Melanie is okay but put me off when she “suddenly” became herself??? Sometimes she has an accent and sometimes she dosen’t? She’s just fakey to me. I voted for Rene, he is the MOST original but I like Josh too and Josh is REALLY talented. I wonder if Josh would have won if Nichole had not been his mentor? I was undecided at the end and decided to vote for Rene because I would have rather seen LA’s contestant win rather then Nicholes. I think both guys have big futures though!

Willow

Posted at 12:28 PM on December 23, 2011

It completely sucks that Melanie won. Sure she’s a great singer but that’s all she is. She doesn’t play instruments, doesn’t write lyrics and she’s boring. Josh has a universal appeal, plays many different instruments, writes his own songs, etc. He appeals to a much wider audience. I expect he will do much better then Melanie in record sales.

mstrss

Posted at 2:44 PM on December 23, 2011

i agree. i think josh has a very bright future ahead of him and i will definately be buying his music and going to se him live!! the wrong person won last night

Chazzg

Posted at 12:12 PM on December 23, 2011

Melanie won a GUARANTEE of net earnings from records & tours which is spread out over 5 years at 1M each. The final 12 contestants had to sign contracts with SyCo which is Simon’s company. After the competition is completed, SyCo has the option to release any of the contestants. If SyCo chooses not to release them – then they better get an agent or Manager such as CCA to look out for their interests. Strangely – On Dec. 15th which was just 1 week ago, SyCo created and put online a website for Josh. They have not created one as yet for Melanie or Chris. Josh mentions this new site on his twitter site. I believe the reason Josh was not showing any stress and appeared to be very happy at the Finale – is that Simon had already told him he was exercising his option and keeping him under contract. Josh initially said he would not be going home for Xmas when the show was completed because he wanted to work towards making an Album. He said yesterday he will be going home for a week and then returning to start on a Album. It appears to me that Josh has won – what do you think?

Karleene

Posted at 2:05 PM on December 23, 2011

Good post, very astute. We’ll be hearing Josh’s records and seeing him in concert. He’s just ‘too good’ as L.A. said several times. Melanie in concert? Yawn. Her records might make sales at first but doubt that she has staying power, she’s too much like Whitney and Mariah (except that they can also act and are good looking.) But – Simon’s show, Simon’s girl, and Simon has already proven how he hates to lose (very bad sport when his little pet got the boot) so maybe not such a big surprise. He of the Great Ego was the winning mentor, and he still can promote Josh and make bucks off of him. Show Biz.

mstrss

Posted at 2:46 PM on December 23, 2011

seems so….and i’m thrilled about it!!!! i hope josh gets everything he ever wished for…hes an amazing talent!!!

CATHERINE tREANOR

Posted at 3:13 PM on December 23, 2011

Melanie Chris Marcus and Drew all have Official sites opened up, Run by SYCO.

Alistair

Posted at 4:56 AM on December 23, 2011

Melanie deserved to win, Chris & Josh will make it because they both great performers

Robin Abraham

Posted at 4:49 AM on December 23, 2011

I’m sure chris will do great! It’s his time to shine even without that $5M recording contract. Like Jennifer Hudson, he will shine the brightest, all around!

steve

Posted at 10:45 AM on December 23, 2011

Simon said afterward in an interview on a local NYC TV station that he plans to take care of them both very quickly.

No worries for them.

s

Posted at 4:41 AM on December 23, 2011

Santo cielo Sara, cos’altro deve fare per farti capire che non ti vuole? Devi iniziare a prendere le distanze. Sei una illusa che si sta facendo del male. Devi imparare ad andare avanti da sola…le storie a distanza non funzionano MAI e tu non sarai l’eccezione…tanto più che lui non ha alcuna intenzione di impegnarsi…quindi basta.

mati comb

Posted at 10:59 PM on December 23, 2011

you are poota poota poota pooya mama la pinga

whoKnows

Posted at 4:29 AM on December 23, 2011

this article is ridiculous. Of course they will be fine now even if something were to not continue with music (which is will in some form) think of all the publicity. as for the $5mill no one ever sees that in cash…. that is the amount they will put towards the record deal and they might get an advance of maybe 20 thousand or something with that. dependant on who is doing it. they will probably both be signed up anyway.

Tony

Posted at 4:01 AM on December 23, 2011

It seems like on this show the “$5 million” changed into “$5 million recording contract”. Which means Melanie might not see much money. Most is going to go to the costs of producing and promoting her album(s).

Lorie

Posted at 3:40 AM on December 23, 2011

I’ve never watched X Factor so I don’t care about any of the contestants careers. I do know that no one derserves 5M for winning any kind of reality show. What a waste of money.

rudy

Posted at 3:14 AM on December 23, 2011

Josh Krajcik is the only artist (out of the three) that i expect a good album from…. So if L.A. Reid does not sign him some one else will ….He got like 4 million hits on his youtube audition reel… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BWPbIdFlvs

Sandie_7

Posted at 7:53 PM on December 23, 2011

Chris is approaching 11 million hits on his audition!… More than all the rest!!!

Patterson

Posted at 3:14 AM on December 23, 2011

I would be suprprised if they are not given a recording contract. In fact, suprpised is an understatement, I’ll be flabbergasted.
Why?
Firstly, in my opinion, people will be waiting to sign Josh. He has more assurance of that than Melanie if she didn’t win. Her type of genre is getting boring. We already have Mariah Carey Jennifer Hudson etc. Music induatry won’t be eager to find another. Josh on the other hand is something different altogether. His voice is unique, it’s a blend of rock, soul, blues, pop. He’ll be alright and Simon SHOULD snap him up.
Secondly, I feel Chris Rene and L.A. Reid have a “speical” connection between them. From his very first audition, L.A. was the one who recongnized and understood him (his background, his genre etc.) more than anyone else, probably because that’s what he deals with with Kanye West or Jay-Z.
Again he SHOULD snap up Chris Rene and I know that we’ll be seeing them making albums for quite a while.

For both Josh and Rene.. we all know the immense support they have back home. Rene’s one is AMAZING. the mayor even showed up. Rene will DEFINITELY stop halling trash (his current job) and the town will surely give him a better job or even help him in his journey into music. Once he reaches it, he’ll fend for himself and support his 2-year-old boy.

But ultimately, Simon and L.A. , gotta sign them quick.

Si

Posted at 3:06 AM on December 23, 2011

In the UK the finalists go on tour, usually earning enough to get them through until the time comes to lay down some tracks, which inevitably Chris and Josh will do. I can only imagine it will be the same there.

francess jones

Posted at 9:44 AM on December 23, 2011

i have loved chris rene all through hes an inspiration too people hope la reid signs him up we have toooo many female singers mariah carey etc etc leona lewis so please sign chris and josh up they great