Why 'X Factor' Is So Much Better Than 'American Idol'!

Fri, December 23, 2011 12:35pm EDT by 37 Comments

Are you with me here? Have YOU ever gotten as deeply involved with ‘AI’ contestants as you did with X Factor’s Melanie Amaro, Josh Krajcik, Chris Rene and Rachel Crow?

I challenge American Idol to come up with a crop of “artists” as outstanding as the finalists on the first season of X Factor.

I’ve been puzzled all along as to why the X Factor ratings, while very good, haven’t been as strong as Idol’s and I just hope that more people discover X Factor .

I seriously am going to miss the X Factor crew next week. I’ve become so completely attached not just to the top three finalists who battled it out on the finale, last night, Dec. 22. But I want to know that Rachel Crow, Astro, Marcus Canty and even the group, Stereohogz, have a future musical career or more.

And as for runner-up Josh Krajcik, I seriously can’t wait until someone smart signs him — are you listening Simon Cowell and LA Reid? — and I can buy or download an entire album’s worth of his rich, gravelly voice.

Winner Melanie Amaro is a brilliant singer and a true rival to Mariah Carey, Jennifer Hudson and Christina Aguilera. Give her the right song writers and she’ll be able to churn out hit after hit.

Plus, I could watch a whole reality show just on her, following her as she transitions from talented girl from an immigrant family to bonafide popstar.

Then there’s Rachel Crow who SHOULD be starring in her own Rachel Crow show — Disney — are you snapping her up?

And Astro has the potential to be the next rapping Bieber. He’s 15, adorable, talented and telegenic.

I believe that because X Factor took contestants from the ages of 12 on up, the show ended up with a far richer group of personalities with fascinating histories than American Idol typically has. The fact that Josh Krajcik, 30, had spent years struggling to make it or that finalist LeRoy Bell, 60, spent almost his entire life, trying to hit it big, lured you into getting deeply emotionally involved with them.

X Factor contestants were often parents like Josh, Chris Rene, 28, or Stacy Francis, 42, and that made their struggles to succeed even more poignant. Would they be able to continue to pursue their dreams if they didn’t win or would they have to sacrafice their talent to more hum drum pursuits in order to put food on the table?

And then of course, Chris Rene’s, history of drug use and his determination to stay sober was an emotional story line that I got teary-eyed over multiple times.

The fact that American Idol contestants are all between the ages of 15 and 28, limits the range of life stories that the show will have.

Then of course, the addition of the groups in X Factor , none of which ultimately made it to the semi-finals, added to the sher entertainment piazzazz of the show. In the end, the group’s prospects were hurt because you never got a chance to get deeply emotionally connected to the individuals in those groups. Still, their presence added to the X Factor energy.

So now I’m eagerly waiting for the follow-up news on the X Factor stars. When will we see or hear from them again?

I personally never felt that about Idol. What about you? Is X Factor better than Idol or vice versus?

Tell me what you think, HollywoodLifers?

— Bonnie Fuller

Email me! | Follow Hollywoodlife.com on Twitter | Become a Facebook fan

sammy

Posted at 5:49 PM on March 17, 2012

every single contestant contestant that has come off of idol have only had less than moderately successful careers. none of those idol wannabees ever had even that much of a great career in the states and are more like novelty acts.

sammy

Posted at 5:44 PM on March 17, 2012

without a doubt the xfactor is the best. American idol hasnt got much character to it. the format for xfactor is by far the best. and those who are saying that american idol has chrned out better artists than xfactor, u must be mad. most of idols contestants go on to being one hit wonders and none of those idol contestants had any recognintion outside of the states. whereas in th uk version of the xfactor, the contestants not only recieved fame in the uk alone but also all over europe, and especially leona lewis who is outstanding and none of the idol contestants who have gone on to have a career (amazingly)could compare to leona. xfactor wins all the way.

Dynma

Posted at 6:05 AM on January 22, 2012

Shut up all u haters, i loved x-factor just d way it was, it was superb. To me, A.I. Is borin!!! The bickerin of d judges was interestin to watch, all dat drama was fun. The paired up judges: emotional judges, nicole and paula, d mean judges: simon and l.a.
Totally hillarious, all my love to x-factor

sammy

Posted at 5:46 PM on March 17, 2012

yeah thats so true. xfactor all the way.

EVELYN

Posted at 10:48 AM on January 19, 2012

I think X Factor is the better for the range of contestants and Simon. The other judges, including L.A.Reid are suspect. Dump Nicole, she is not professional enough and followed Paula’s nonsense. Everyone knows that Paula is just FLUFF and the two of them is too much.That little PR routine for Nicole after Rachael Crow was let go was pathetic and did nothing to improve her image. L.a.Reid should have been more objective and true to who is best instead of playing games aimed at Simon. Overall, I prefer X Factor and it can be improved next season by making the judges act more professional and leave their drama somewhere else, it really is awful and detracts from the contestants. They need to remember that the show is not about THEM.

Randy

Posted at 4:42 PM on January 13, 2012

Loved the contestants on X Factor but the judges arguing and childish comments towards each other was a joke. Many times the contestant would stand on stage feeling very uncomfortable while the judges were telling each other how stupid they were. Not cool. Will not watch the show if they follow this format again. Pretty much stopped watching after Rachel was voted off. Judges need to vote blind and then turn up their vote when asked. That way they won’t be influenced by what the other judge voted. Also a joke, no matter how bad an act was, the judge that was the mentor of the act would vote for there own act just to stand by then. Like I say, great contestants, but a bunch of immature bickering judges. Most common phase… I don’t know what your mentor was thinking but …

Jacob

Posted at 2:04 PM on January 12, 2012

It’s pretty ironic that this article is trying to say how much better The X-Factor is so much better than American Idol because it has better recording artist…the irony? The claim that Melanie Amaro can rival the best of the best, where they mention Jennifer Hudson, who came from AMERICAN IDOL! Don’t get me wrong, I loveeee Melanie; she was my 2nd favorite behind Rachel Crow, but to say they churn out better artists than American Idol is absolutely ridiculous. Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, Jordin Sparks, and now Scotty McCreery and Lauren Alaina are on their way to fame! The X-Factor judges were too into themselves, only cared about their own people, and always fought between each other. They made it more about them than the contestants. I still like American Idol better, even after 10 seasons.

anita

Posted at 11:39 PM on January 5, 2012

I would have to say that I like American Idol much, much better. Idol has produced a number of very talented artists that have had quite a bit of staying power. Plus, the judges are far more likeable on American Idol. I especially love Stephen Tyler and Jennifer Lopez. I couldn’t stand the bickering and disrespect among some of the judges on x-factor. American Idol is simply more fun to watch.

Max

Posted at 10:39 AM on January 1, 2012

The X Factpr is so much better than AI. The best singer never wins american idol. Never. Or at least not in the last 5 years. The production numbers are awesome. That’s what your going to get if you go to their concert sons but up about that those who complain. Steve is a better host the. Seacrest. Every American idol contestant has said very negative things about the way Ryan treated them. Not a single x factor contestant has nothing but good things to say about Steve. If you think the bickering and the fighting is bad on the USA version watch the uk version where you have Sharon Osbourne throwing water on one of the other judges and storming off the set when two of her acts end up in e bottom 2. The judges having control over who goes home in the bottom two is brilliant. Looking at how many American idol contestants who have went home way to early. Chris Daughtyry, Jennifer Hudson, Carly Smithson, Michael Johns, Gina Glocksen, Tamyra Gray,Pia Toscano. If American idol had the final showdown and the judges decide then none of them would have been eliminated. And To the person who said American idol doesn’t have sob story’s and drama story’s what show are you watching? They have had so many of them. More than I can count. The X Factor is the best and the greatest talent competition ever. American idol will be off the air in 3 years and the x factor will still be around, just like every other country that had idol American idol will be cancelled and replaced with the better show the z factor, the x factor rocks.

Jack

Posted at 1:57 PM on December 31, 2011

X-Factor rules and I wonder why any talent would not choose to audition for it before Idol. They get mentors, full glam squad and production numbers, and $5 million. Idol didn’t do that well in it’s first season and I think it would have been a bust if Kelly didn’t win. I feel the same way with Melanie winning – best singer. I love watching the full productions. I enjoy the entire cast of judges and Steve. It was a very competitive season and it was hard to tell from the beginning who would go home – all very talented contestants.

Luz

Posted at 11:49 PM on December 30, 2011

X Factor is better than American Idol. I stopped watching American Idon when Simon Cowell left the show.

TS

Posted at 4:43 PM on December 29, 2011

I think it’s easy to say “X Factor is better and we’re more invested in its contestants” because the show is new and being watched in the fall season. But that’s just too convenient. Then you’re forgetting all the amazing contestants AI has had who continue to be very successful after the show. Even last season’s winners Scotty and Lauren debuted albums in the top 5 Billboard Charts which means people care about those contestants. Also the new AI judges are refreshing and I hate all the bickering that goes on on X Factor. At least both shows are way better than the Voice.

Judy

Posted at 2:41 PM on December 28, 2011

I voted many times for Melanie Amaro. No one else could compare with her – a real singer’s singer! Idol is much better than X Factor. X Factor has entirely too much drama and some of the final contestants were pretty awful singers. There’s a lot of phoniness and very little truth told by the judges to the singers except for Simon, who is usually right on. He recognizes when someone is “pitchy” or just plain crummy. I’m looking forward to Idol, but think X Factor should be cancelled. Also, Steve Jones is pretty boring and must be replaced by someone with a personality.

Ed

Posted at 3:44 PM on December 27, 2011

I just loved X Factor for all the reasons you mentioned above. For me the AI judges just don’t have any real credentials or interest for the nurturing of a new talent and I will take Steve Jones any day over Seacrest as a host. JLo seems to be in this for the money and to get her career jump started, and I just can’t buy into Steven Tyler now in his 60’s as a judge.

Compare that to the true Star Makers in Simon Cowell and LA Reid and I think the difference in the two shows becomes apparent rather quickly. Melanie Amaro is a nice girl with an amazing voice who truly has the chops to be the next big thing, but she will need help and Simon Cowell and LA Reid are the people to provide that help. Could she get this kind of power working for her on Idol??? I think not.

Looking forward to next season and I hope everyone stays put !!!!

Bevery

Posted at 12:37 PM on December 27, 2011

For some reason I found X-Factor too loud overall. I felt the production for the various acts was overdone and many times the production of a number outdid the artist themselves. It was too distracting from the talent. Productions like that aren’t really allowing the audience to experience the evolution of the contestant because they are hurled out into A-list artist type productions when they are nothing but newbies. They simply cannot live up to it, except for more seasoned contestants such as Josh. I thought Melanie struggled all the way to the end and I didn’t really get into her until the end when she started to catch up to what they were trying to mold her into. Overall, I prefer the format of X-Factor, but last season’s AI was the best I’d ever seen and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Darlene

Posted at 3:32 PM on December 26, 2011

The only way I can watch X-Factor is by fast forwarding through all commercials, all loud noise that is not a singing voice, most of the judges comments. Plus, I cannot stand all the moving lights and dancers on the stage when someone is singing.

Season 7 of American Idol was fantastic. David Cook is my favorite singer since Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin. I like some of the singetrs on X-Factor, but missed most of it because I couldn’t watch everything else. I much prefer American Idol

gill

Posted at 5:53 AM on December 25, 2011

I agree with you. X factor is much better run organization and Simon is a true listener and much more experienced than any of the AMerican Idol judges. Of course, LA RIED is also great. Professionalism in X factor is 100 times better than American Idol

American Idol is more ameteur in this sense.Some of the judges do not really have a good musical understanding, like J Lopez who is a dancer not singer.

Also, X factor can get couple of better judges, like Barbara Streisand , Celine Dion, Marc Anthony,Shakira who have better musical back ground and expert.

charlie

Posted at 4:18 AM on December 25, 2011

I couldn’t disagree more strenuously. AI is much better than X Factor and has unleashed a string of strong performers: Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, Adam Lambert, and many others. All of them are more artistically talented than any of the X Factor US contestants this year. Yes Melanie Amaro has a good voice, but compare her to the greatness of Leona Lewis and there is no comparison at all. That’s the difference between a good voice and a great artist. X Factor had some good voices, but we’ll see if they develop into great artists. I have my doubts.

IMO X Factor has some pluses and minuses. I think having the auditions before a live audience with musical accompaniment is a big plus and I wish Idol would adopt that in place of its sterile a cappella auditions before 3 judges. Judge/mentors is another plus, but I don’t like the judges having complete control over while bottom 2 contestant goes home I hate the X Factors over-produced shows with all the crazy lights, dancers, etc. AI is much more organic and focussed on the contestants, which I much prefer.

боб и пип

Posted at 6:19 AM on January 2, 2012

ты лох

Bev

Posted at 2:54 AM on December 24, 2011

I think X-Factor could be better than idol with the right judges. The judges I saw this season just don’t seem to know their job. In a save me situation they are told to vote for the best one based only on the save me song. Over and over I saw them vote for the person they were working with knowing they had not sung as well as the other person. I think Simon did the most honest judging during the season. If these judges can’t judge honestly then they should just leave it up to the people who call in. I know they said the wrong people were getting voted off when left to the audiences but the wrong people were getting let go when it was left to the judges. I have not watched the show since Rachel was let go do to incompetant judging. I just came on to see who won. I prefer Idol and can’t wait for it to start. I am glad Melanie won. She deserved it.

Pat

Posted at 8:39 PM on December 23, 2011

You are so right. Plus AI voters tend to be young girls. The best usually dont win, but just the cutest boys. When was the last time a girl won??? Can’t wait for next year!!! I’m an x factor fan now!!!

sunshine

Posted at 7:07 PM on December 23, 2011

american idol a defenitely better than the x factor
first of all they do not rely on all the history and drama of each contestant for the show to be entertaining and interesting. AI is strictly based on the singing and not on their home dramas! another thing is that the judges in the x factor are so attached to their contestant that they werent objective and thus lost the ability to really judge the contestants. x factor may have good singers and you must love them now but who will forget the time carrie underwood swept the stage or the amazing notes adam lambert hit on his every performance. not to mention the charms of ryan secrets which make the show all more amazing. Xfactor is a wannabe AI.. they tried to copy the dinamics AI had with paula and simon but failed and this season of AI will blow your minds away!! just wait and see that 3 months from now you are as attached to the AI contestants as you are of your beloved Melanie Amaro.. Ps.. im not a hater i enjoyed the show very much and watched every episode.. this is why i think i can give my opinion .. peace

Max

Posted at 10:44 AM on January 1, 2012

What show are you watching? No history or drama? That is all American idol has. No I won’t be. I could care less about the contestants on idol. I will probably won’t watch idol is year. It is sinking ship that will be canceled within 3 years. Even fox thinks so. X factor is not a idol wanna. American idol sucks. X factor rocks. So shut your mouth and don’t ever comment Bout the x factor again. You idiot.

helllokitty

Posted at 5:44 PM on December 23, 2011

i like the X factor, i will be watching it again for season 2

Ann

Posted at 3:27 PM on December 23, 2011

LOVED the X Factor. Definitely better than American Idol.

Anon

Posted at 2:44 PM on December 23, 2011

X Factor Uk is much better than Usa it has more personality and thank gosh the age limit is higher so we dont have to watch sobbing kids every weekend

CHARLIE

Posted at 4:20 AM on December 25, 2011

AMEN AND AMEN!

Anon

Posted at 2:42 PM on December 23, 2011

X Factor Uk is much better than Usa it has more personality and thank gosh the age limit is higher so we dont have to watch soobing kids every weekend

MM

Posted at 1:37 PM on December 23, 2011

You are right about alot of the advantages of x-factor over idol (esp. the age point), with one glaring exception:

Having the judges both mentor contestants and also have the power to vote them off is a bad idea. Judges consistently voted for their ‘team’ instead of being objective, which was not fair to the contestants.

боб

Posted at 6:08 AM on January 2, 2012

привет

пип

Posted at 6:11 AM on January 2, 2012

привет чувак боб

боб

Posted at 6:15 AM on January 2, 2012

чё мутишь чувак bieber sexi

пип