Celebrity hairstylist Gregory Alan shows YOU how to create the perfect holiday hairstyle for any festive occasion.
This ballerina-like bun has been seen on countless celebs this season. Kim Kardashian, Jennifer Lopez, Fergie and more have all worn a version of this look. Gregory adds a braid across the bun to create texture and add a bit of holiday fun. Watch the video and read Gregory’s how-to below!
If you learn more easily from watching then skip right ahead to the video, but if you’d like to read a step-by-step tutorial, follow along with Gregory’s directions.
Here’s what you’ll need:
Hairspray (light hold) — Gregory used Salon Grafix Shaping Spray
Blax — Elastic Gumbands
Vent Brush — Gregory used a Mason Pearson
Styling Cream — Gregory used Frederik Fekkai’s styling cream
Volumizing Mousse — Gregory used Salon Grafix Mousse
- Prep the hair with a mousse. Salon Grafix brand is my choice perferred and give yourself a great blowout.
- Take hairspray and spray the entire hairstyle and brush into a high ballerina bun. Gather hair ontop of head and secure with Blax. Add extensions if needed
- Take the donut and pull ponytail through the hole. Secure donut onto head with long hairpins.
- Smooth out the ponytail covering the donut, leaving a small 1 inch section out from the bun. Once hair is all covering the donut apply hairnet so shape is clean/ no flyaways.
- Braid the 1 inch section of hair into a fishbone braid and pull lightly to vent the braid [making it bigger].
- Take a tailcomb and smoothe all the sides/edges of hair using a styling cream.
- Finish with Salon Grafix shaping hairspray.
- Optional: Apply an old vintage clip, pin or barrette.