'X Factor' Recap: Chris Rene & Melanie Amaro Dominate Semi-Finals

Wed, December 14, 2011 9:47pm EST by 42 Comments
X Factor Semi Finals

It’s down to the semi-finals and I think it’s pretty obvious who will be eliminated before the final three!

After last week’s emotional and shocking elimination, it seemed like there was a big weight lifted off everyone’s shoulders tonight on The X Factor. With all the kids eliminated, the adults came out to play — and I think Marcus Canty will be the one left behind tomorrow, as Chris Rene, Melanie Amaro and Josh Krajcik all brought their A-games.

Round one consisted of songs chosen for the contestants by people voting on the Pepsi Challenge. Here’s what went down:

Marcus Canty: Marcus threw the dance moves out tonight in exchange for a rose and lots and lots of fog. His romantic ballad was sweet, I guess. But it definitely wasn’t my favorite song, or performance. “You’re the entertainer of the group and you didn’t disappoint,” Paula Abdul said, sweetly. I agreed more with Simon Cowell, who said the staging with the dancers and the rose didn’t fit the song. Zzzzz.

Chris Rene: Luckily for Chris, he was given a better song (Sugar Ray‘s “I Just Wanna Fly”) than Marcus. The laid back beat worked well with Chris’ whole image. However, I felt like he was out of breath for much of the performance. He does such a better job with his original music. I really don’t like when he covers other people’s work. After he finished, the crowd was going nuts in the background, chanting his name. Clearly, at the time of his performance, he was the winner.

Melanie Amaro: The Pepsi Challenge voters couldn’t have picked a more fitting song for Melanie. She belted Mariah Carey‘s “Hero” like it was written for her. It gave me chills. “I didn’t feel your usual passion,” L.A. Reid complained. Disagree. I’m sick of Simon and L.A. tearing each other down through their contestants. Also, I have to applaud Melanie this time around — she didn’t talk too much, which was really nice.

Josh Krajcik: Josh killed The Beatles’ “Come Together” and finally came back into his own. I’m still baffled that his look hasn’t changed at all throughout the course of the show, but his voice is insane. “You attack our souls. You get into us. It’s unbelievable,” Paula said. “You’ve come back and you’ve come back strong this week,” Simon raved. “It would be a massive shame if you weren’t in the finals next week.” I would be upset if he didn’t make it.

Here was round two:

Marcus Canty: I thought the little electronic bridge in Marcus’ rendition of George Michael‘s “Careless Whisper” was a great way to make it more relevant and current. Also, he looked sharp in his white suit. All of that said, I like him, but I don’t think he’s meant to be in the finals next week. I see Marcus performing in Las Vegas or at a theme park — not selling out world tours. “This was a joke, an absolute joke,” Simon said. “Seriously, L.A. that was as bad as I’ve ever seen.” I wouldn’t go that far. However, it wasn’t my favorite performance.

Chris Rene: I got chills when I heard Chris would be playing piano tonight and then I started crying when he talked about saying goodbye to his cancer-stricken dad. This guy sure does pull at heart strings, doesn’t he? I was a little bummed he sang “No One” by Alicia Keys instead of another original, but Chris still managed to make it his own. “You may be the dark horse in this competition. Good for you!” Simon said. (Side note: Did anyone catch this? “Your spirit transcends across the universe,” Nicole said. HA! She says the most ridiculous stuff. I’m so over her.)

Melanie Amaro: I was nervous when L.A. and Simon were making such a huge stink about this mystery “classic” song (“Feeling Good”) but wow, this was her best performance to date. From the very first note to the last wailing pitch, Melanie couldn’t have sung this sone better if she tried. Plus, she looked phenomenal in her black fitted dress. I have to admit, Simon does a fantastic job of styling his contestants. After this performance, I’m torn between Chris and Melanie as my favorites.

Josh Krajcik: Josh pulled out the good old standard “Hallelujah” and played the piano while he wailed. I thought it was simple, yet beautiful. I can’t wait to hear Josh’s original music — the tone of his voice is unforgettable. He’s a pro.

After tonight, I will be absolutely devastated if Josh, Melanie and Chris aren’t the performers in the finals next week. Marcus has had a great run of it, but it’s time for him to go. (And if Steve Jones and Nicole Sczherzinger were to get the boot too, I wouldn’t be upset…)

What did YOU think of tonight?

Email me! | Follow me on Twitter | Become a Facebook fan

More ‘X Factor:’

1. Kirstin Says: Is Rachel Crow, 14, Too Young For The ‘X Factor’ Spotlight?
  2. ‘X Factor’ Results: Was Rachel Crow Or Marcus Canty Eliminated?
  3. ‘X Factor’ Finalist Rachel Crow Reveals Emotional Tribute To BFF Drew Ryniewicz

free healthy diet tips

Posted at 12:52 PM on May 29, 2012

I am really inspired along with your writing abilities and also with the format in your blog. Is that this a paid theme or did you customize it yourself? Anyway stay up the nice high quality writing, it’s uncommon to peer a nice blog like this one nowadays..

Lasertag

Posted at 9:42 PM on April 16, 2012

Good day very nice website!! Man .. Beautiful .. Superb .. I’ll bookmark your web site and take the feeds additionally?I am glad to search out so many useful info right here in the publish, we want work out more strategies on this regard, thanks for sharing. . . . . .

darlene

Posted at 10:20 PM on December 22, 2011

I agree I am so sad that Chris did not win. He is a great performer and the music he wrote was awesome. He will make it even thogh he didn’t make it on the show. BELIEVE

diana

Posted at 8:54 AM on December 18, 2011

WHO IS VOTING FOR THIS CHRIS RENE WANNABE???? I AM SHOCKED THAT SIMON HAS GOOD THINGS TO SAY ABOUT HIM, THE KID CAN NOT SING. ALSO, THIS IS NOT A PITY PARTY ABOUT HIS REHAB, WHICH I AM HAPPY FOR HIM, BUT THIS IS A SHOW ABOUT TALENT AND HE HAS NONE. THE JUDGES HAVE SAID THAT HE IS NOT THE BEST SINGER, YET THEY KEEP GIVING HIM THESE RAVE REVIEWS…SHOCKING AND SICKENING. THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO COMPARISON TO HIM AND MELANIE AND JOSH WHO HAVE REAL TALENT. L.A. SAYING MELANIE IS PREDICTABLE…WHAT IS CHRIS RENE…SOUNDS EXACTLY THE SAME EVERY WEEK WITH HIS RIDICULOUS HAND MOTIONS AND FACES. IF THIS IS THE TYPE OF PERSON WHO WINS THIS, I HONESTLY WILL NEVER WATCH THIS SHOW AGAIN. UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!

CHRISRENE

Posted at 11:06 PM on December 20, 2011

no ma’am. Listen old lady, or man whatever you need to quit and shut your big mouth. Your opinion is terrible! gosh. I mean i know chris has haters ( which makes him famous) but foreaaal. GROW UP. dont even say he has no talent. cause you know what…YOU HAVE NO TALENT! PLease just get out, and its not A “pitty pary”. This isnt american idol, its THE X FACTOR! american idol is for best vocals. And maybe simon says good thing about him BECAUSE HE IS GOOD! if anyone should win its chris. Then josh. But Melanie…oh no. Shes rude, dive and needs to get her attitude fixed. She’s already cocky. SO dont say he doesnt have talent. He has the most followers on FACEBOOK AND TWITTER! loserrrss.

chrissy

Posted at 10:09 AM on December 17, 2011

Chris Rene is not talented enough or strong enough to resist the temptation of his addicton if he wins and has access to that much money. First of all he is not a good singer and his stupid antics,finger pointing and side way hat is so predicitable. As far as his own song,all he did was keep singing the same words and playing the same tune. He needs to go home and get a life.

Mitchell

Posted at 10:06 PM on December 18, 2011

Screw you person. It’s easy to sit on your couch and diss someone like that. Everything you are saying is SO innacurate anyways… Melanie and Josh are the most predictable by far. Chris has trouble singing songs that are by other people, but he creates his own kind of music he can actually sing and is really enjoyable, not to mention he has brilliant lyrics and is a good rapper. He can sing “Pastime Paradise” (Top 11) which was rap, and he can sing Raggae/Rock (Top 10) and then this week he sang “No One” by Alicia Keys and did a good job with it. The week before last week he sang his original “Where do we go from here” which was “A stroke of genius” in Simon’ eyes.

FACTS:
MOST FUN TO WATCH – CHRIS RENE
BEST VOCALIST – MELANIE
MOST ORIGINAL – CHRIS RENE
BEST PERSONALITY – CHRIS RENE, who is real and doesnt fake an accent…….
BEST STORY – CHRIS RENE
MUSICAL EXPERIENCE – CHRIS RENE
BEST WITH INSTRUMENTS – CHRIS RENE (PIANO AND GUITAR)
MOST VERSATILE (MOST GENRES) – CHRIS RENE (ROCK, REGGAE, RAP, HIP HOP, SOUL)

OH AND HES NOT TALENTED? IDIOT, YOUR NOT SMARTER THAN THE 4 JUDGES, ESPECIALLY A STAR HERSELF NICOLE, WHO SAID IN HIS FIRST AUDITION “I CAN’T EVEN DESCRIBE YOUR TALENT”

CHRISRENE

Posted at 11:08 PM on December 20, 2011

bro. you get a life. your full of bs. He is already over his addiction. Just get over the fact that he is the x factor
ugh #JEALOUSPEOPLE

TONY

Posted at 3:40 AM on December 17, 2011

MELANIE AMARO,JOSH KRAJCIK,WE’RE TIRED OF HEARING THE SAME VOICE SINGERS COMPARED WHAT WE HAVE IN THES WORLD IN THE CASE WHITNEY HOUSTON,MARIAH CAREY,BEYONCE CLONES,JOY COKER VOICES NEED UNIQUE CASE OF CHRIS RENE NOT COMPARED TO ANYONE THIS YES IS BEST END GOOD.

wdmason

Posted at 8:57 PM on December 16, 2011

I cant believe people think Chris has any musical talent. I thought he was a gone for sure when he pecked at the piano like a 5 year old. Unbelievable. Everyone of his songs sound like Little Homie. Hes a one trick pony if I ever saw one..

Mitch W

Posted at 10:07 PM on December 18, 2011

VERSATIL

Mitchell

Posted at 10:08 PM on December 18, 2011

Screw you person. It’s easy to sit on your couch and diss someone like that. Everything you are saying is SO innacurate anyways… Melanie and Josh are the most predictable by far. Chris has trouble singing songs that are by other people, but he creates his own kind of music he can actually sing and is really enjoyable, not to mention he has brilliant lyrics and is a good rapper. He can sing “Pastime Paradise” (Top 11) which was rap, and he can sing Raggae/Rock (Topp 10) and then this week he sang “No One” by Alicia Keys and did a good job with it. The week before last week he sang his original “Where do we go from here” which was “A stroke of genius” in Simon’ eyes.

FACTS:
MOST FUN TO WATCH – CHRIS RENE
BEST VOCALIST – MELANIE
MOST ORIGINAL – CHRIS RENE
BEST PERSONALITY – CHRIS RENE, who is real and doesnt fake an accent…….
BEST STORY – CHRIS RENE
MUSICAL EXPERIENCE – CHRIS RENE
BEST WITH INSTRUMENTS – CHRIS RENE (PIANO AND GUITAR)
MOST VERSATILE (MOST GENRES) – CHRIS RENE (ROCK, REGGAE, RAP, HIP HOP, SOUL)

mekaniska

Posted at 5:49 PM on December 16, 2011

I actually love everyone of them, but the problem I had was with Nichole.How could she vote Racheal Crowe out. The thing is Macus had been in bottom two, twice, that shows Americans are not fond of him and u voted Racheal out. U should have considered that it was her first time of been in bottom two. I like u Nichole but I wasn’t happy with what you did.
Melanie go girl u are great.

Team Chris

Posted at 11:03 PM on December 15, 2011

Too all you haters out there of Chris. I think your still watching American Idol… This is the X factor and Chris Rene is the definition of the X factor in my opinion. He does not have the best voice by definition but there is something about it that is catchy and real that grabs ahold of me. Besides his voice, he’s got the attitude, look, swagger, talent, and originality to be GREAT!!! It is sad you guys are making fun of him for his teeth and saying he’s ugly. He did not have the money to do anything about his dentistry, you guys are cold hearted man. Personally I think he looks fresh and relevant. Melanie needs 10 lb’s of makeup to look good… Back to Chris, he deserves this the most out of anyone because when the show is over he will be the one creating the most hits due to his originality and you all know it. Just like everyone is saying, he is brilliant with his own songs, but not as good when it comes to singing other peoples songs. WELL WHAT DO YOU THINK HE WILL BE DOING AFTER X FACTOR IDIOTS??? FINAL STATEMENT: Chris Rene’s story is remarkable and to me he is already a hero, but if he wins this, it could be one of America’s greatest stories for any individual and it could help thousands of drug addicts overcome their addiction when they look at his journey. I’m a 16 year old boy who would rather be seen naked then seen crying, yet last night watching him talk about his father I did cry… I also cried when I saw his story the first time I saw him singing Young Homie. That’s special right there…….. I am no druggie, but I feel connected and apart of Chris Rene now and I pray to god that he wins… As for the actual music part to this he will be the most successful when he is out on his own, also he is the type of person who would not let fame change them unlike it already has done to Melanie, and if you don’t believe me go back and watch her first audition. Melanie is just another great vocalist and I could not tell the difference between her and 1,000,000 other artists if I closed my eyes. Chris Rene is different and special and that is exactly what America needs.

TEAM RENE… LOVE LIFE

fanny

Posted at 3:08 PM on December 15, 2011

Melanie has what it takes to succeed and overcome barriers, has the voice, has the spirit, is definitely the X factor, his voice is wonderful and she is definitely the best thing about the program, said from the beginning and not a mistake this babe is made ​​for big things and more if anchored in faith to God that is who the guide, it was surprising when it is uncovered weeks ago and I felt in my country the presence of God, the presence of the strength of the faith, impossible not to believe, Cris is good but not great, not only has a great voice has charisma and that’s not enough, looking at the figures it is fragile and pray lest he fall back into vice, Josh also sings wonderfully Marcus 3 weeks ago which was to be at home .. Melanie has it all and she is the x-factor 2011 Winner!

jamie

Posted at 11:47 AM on December 15, 2011

I’m so sick of the judges going after each other. They really need to remember this is about the contestants. All of the contestants are great – no doubt. Now it’s up to America to vote in who they want. After last night my vote goes to Melanie, but honestly would be happy with any of them!

BEV

Posted at 7:40 AM on December 15, 2011

CHRIS RENE IT DOESN’T GET ANY BETTER ! I’M GOING TO THIS GUYS CONCERTS AND BUY HIS MUSIC ! WE HAVE SOME NEW MUSIC COMING AND A NEW ARTIST ! I LOVE CHRIS RENE , I PRAY HE WINS !

Catemarie

Posted at 5:42 AM on December 15, 2011

What all of you are forgetting is in the title of the show. This is not a singing competition, it is about the IT-factor, the X-factor. Chris Rene is the most talented musically. He writes great songs, plays many instruments and when he sings his own songs, he is very special. His originals will knock your socks off-go to youtube and listen to them.
So if it was the best singing contest-Melanie would win with her pitch perfect voice, BUT she is just another big voice like so many. If I close my eyes, I hear no difference than all the others. Chris Rene has a quality to his voice that is unlike anyone else. I would recognize his voice any where. Chris will have the biggest career-mark my words than them all put together. If you really look at the music world what folks want to buy-it is the song more than the voice. I will take a great song with a okay voice over an okay song with a great voice. Chris has my vote because over all he is the most talented and he definitely has the X-factor.

Diane

Posted at 1:06 PM on December 15, 2011

I totally agree. Chris has my vote. He is the total package. His heart has spoken far more to the people than either of the other competitors. Don’t know quite what he has, but I know it definitely is “magic.”

Nikki

Posted at 3:07 AM on December 15, 2011

The way you wear your cap and pants does not determine the man you are…it’s what is in your heart. This man is not perfect but he has owned up to his mistakes. I am going to support him because of his originality, I love the imperfection of his voice, and his Soul’d Out independent CD is great.

tim

Posted at 2:08 AM on December 15, 2011

My best friend ,she just has announced her wedding with a millionaire manRonald who

is the CEO of a MNC !they met via —–www.successfulmingle.com——- ..it is the largest

and best club for wealthy people and their admirers to chat online. …you don’t have to be

rich there ,but you can meet one , It’s worthy a try. You do not have to be rich or famous.

!——-but you can mee one, the most important is you can find your** true l-o-v-e**! right?

Judy

Posted at 12:46 AM on December 15, 2011

I love Chris Rene he is by far the best!! Love the songs he writes!

Jessica

Posted at 12:42 AM on December 15, 2011

Team Chris Rene

Kayla

Posted at 12:41 AM on December 15, 2011

Chris Rene.Chris Rene.Chris Rene.Chris Rene!!!!!:)
If he doesn’t win something is wrong with America!

Amanda

Posted at 12:39 AM on December 15, 2011

TEAM CHRIS RENE ALL THE WAY!!:) HE DESERVES TO WIN!!

gabby

Posted at 12:19 AM on December 15, 2011

stop hating on marcus he has a great voice so let him go to the 2 round n kick chris Rene out plz

gabby

Posted at 12:15 AM on December 15, 2011

Every one showed the best afford but Simoin why so harsh on Marcus lol

Martha Brumfield

Posted at 9:56 PM on December 14, 2011

I really don’t understand why Chris Rene is still in this competion. I think he should have been went home. The judges said that he does not have a great voice and Marcus Canty sounds so much much better than Chris I’m praying Marcus wins he just have to win

Jasmin

Posted at 10:18 PM on December 14, 2011

Because people around the WORLD love him. We know he’s best with his originals. We want to keep him on the show as far as we can, to support him. He doesn’t need to win this thing. I can not wait to buy his music. I am positive it’ll be packed with magic!

bee

Posted at 10:39 PM on December 14, 2011

I understand that in the end its a talent show and the best vocals wins but in this case Chris has won over people with his story, stamina, and originality and maybe sometimes that is all you need to win. He has got my vote. He simply brings a smile on my face and his history is probably changing lives.

rude much?

Posted at 12:17 PM on December 15, 2011

chris rene will be in the finals, he is an amazing performer and entertainer and i really hope he wins. to the person who said “@jaxguy52: Yeah, I found him highly nauseating at first, too. But I do enjoy his performances when he’s not “rapping” and actually SINGING. I also have to keep my eyes closed.” that is so wrong, he is a handsome man and yeah his teeth may be a little messed up but have you ever thought he didnt have money to fix them? so rudee

chieftain

Posted at 11:32 PM on December 14, 2011

Once he drops his wannabe gansta crap, Chris Rene has a wonderful voice and ain’t a bad entertainer. But he seriously needs to knock it off with all the backwards hat-wearing, fake ebonics, and hand-jiving. Just sing the songs, dammit, and we’ll be with you! –Oh, and he might need to look for a good dentist.

DRIEKA

Posted at 12:09 AM on December 15, 2011

We all want him 2 win so he can have a jump start on his own music he might not have the best voice but his originality is what matters to his fans….. TEAM CHRUS RENE!!!

DRIEKA

Posted at 12:10 AM on December 15, 2011

TYPO:CHRIS

chieftain

Posted at 12:31 AM on December 15, 2011

“Might not have the best voice”? He’s got a GREAT voice!

But like I said, the poor kid needs to ACT LIKE A MAN. Lose the pimp-walk, the hand-jiving, the saggy pants, and the backwards hat, dude! You’re a FATHER now.

jaxguy52

Posted at 12:53 AM on December 15, 2011

Chris is just as AVERAGE as most other rappers. Crap consistently speww from their mouths. And the mannerisms. I want to vomit. Our culture has gone down the toilet.

chieftain

Posted at 1:47 AM on December 15, 2011

CHRISRENE

Posted at 11:13 PM on December 20, 2011

NO. HE WAS RAISED IN THE GHETTO. HE WAS RAISED WERE PEOPLE WERE THAT, AND HIS HAND GESTURES ARE NONE OF YOUR CONCERN

MissAvelina

Posted at 12:48 PM on December 15, 2011

I agree Chris Rene should have been gone. He needs to leave tonite he should be voted OFF. He does not have the voice to win the 5 million.on the The XFactor.

VaBballfan

Posted at 9:26 PM on December 15, 2011

Melanie should absolutely win. Best voice of the season, repeatedly. She hasn’t been off key or “pitchy” once this season. All of others have been off key more than once and Marcus Canty was usually off key.

MELANIE deserves to win.

CHRISRENE

Posted at 11:13 PM on December 20, 2011

but he has the orginality and thats what counts.

Ande

Posted at 9:33 AM on December 16, 2011

Greatness is just hard to understand isn’t it? : )