Disney Introduces Brand New & Much Younger Princess: Meet Sofia

Tue, December 13, 2011 10:23am EDT by 22 Comments
Disney Princess Sofia

Whether it’s Snow White, Belle or Cinderella, Disney’s princesses have always looked to be about 15-years-old. But a new princess has joined the fairy tale crew and she’s aimed at kids 2 to 7!

It’s about time! The New York Times is reporting that Walt Disney Co. is adding a new beautifully jeweled princess to their lineup and her name is Sofia! The adorable princess will make her debut in a TV movie and series called Sofia the First.

So who will voice this coveted role? Just Jared Jr., is reporting that Modern Family‘s Ariel Winter will play the role of the animated princess. Sofia will have a storyline similar to one we’ve heard before, her mom will marry a king and she’ll have step-siblings — uh oh!

Instead of the show and movie being all about finding your prince, Disney is opting to try something different and focus on kindess, sibling rivalry and generosity. But don’t worry, Disney’s general manager says she’ll still be a total princess and have “plenty of dresses and sparkly shoes.”

— Chloe Melas

Lexis

Posted at 11:15 PM on October 29, 2012

this little princess is Latina! do your research people!!

C

Posted at 11:53 AM on January 5, 2013

I’ve been trying to research whether SOPHIA ‘is’ Latina…please confirm. Provide a link or something….because I didn’t find it!

C

Posted at 11:54 AM on January 5, 2013

Lexis, prove it!

Random person

Posted at 11:29 PM on October 23, 2012

My name!! Yeay!!! ^-^ cant wait for this! But hen is this happening?

Christina

Posted at 8:36 PM on October 30, 2012

Lexis, I did my research. Disney denies that princess Sofia was ever intended to be Latina. Maybe you should know what you’re talking about before you post comments.

Random

Posted at 7:41 PM on May 26, 2012

Mexican? How about hispanic period.

Noelle Tenaglia

Posted at 8:20 PM on May 16, 2012

We love the new princess! Same name as our daugher. In which we call princess Sofia and who loves her Disney movies!!So excited and so is my little one !! Yay for Sofia

Mina

Posted at 11:42 AM on May 14, 2012

I think they should make a Hispanic princess instead of another white one because they have princesses of all other races but they don’t have a Mexican One

C

Posted at 11:52 AM on January 5, 2013

They have DORA….isn’t she Mexican? A typical LATINA/HISPANIC character is what they should be creating! ;)

SUMMER

Posted at 10:18 AM on April 10, 2012

I love the new princess :) She has the same name as my daughter! I will DEF. be buying her a Princess Sofia doll :) Wished she had the same spelling. But Princess Sofia has the same colored hair and eyes as my Sophia :)

GuS

Posted at 7:09 PM on March 16, 2012

I do not think they should do this.

eliza

Posted at 6:29 PM on February 27, 2012

i dont think you should of made a new princess people love the original ones and you cant say you made a new one because of age. becasue my little cousins love the original princess. i think you guys should of stayed with the ones that exsist now and maybe you could make a movie about how they all meet each other or something like that

Mrs. Mommir

Posted at 11:53 PM on February 25, 2012

I can’t believe they came out with a new but she does look liked Sofia
Very cute

Mrs. Mommir

Posted at 11:52 PM on February 25, 2012

I can’t believe they came out with a new but she does look liked Sofia

Sophie

Posted at 10:19 AM on February 21, 2012

I am very glad they made a new princess this one is super adorible espatily a kid princess

Hannah Woods

Posted at 11:52 PM on February 12, 2012

Disney should make a princess that is bald or has cancer so little girls with cancer will feel like a princess.

Tracy mattison

Posted at 8:15 PM on March 6, 2012

I have been thinking that for a long time!!!!!

Hannah

Posted at 11:25 PM on February 12, 2012

All of the princesses are original and have been around very very long time. They shouldn’t make a brand new one. And last I checked, all my nieces liked the older princesses and she doesn’t really like Sofia. All I’m saying is that they shouldn’t make make another one.:( :( :( :( :( :( :( -from Lia (my niece)

Louwii

Posted at 9:17 PM on February 7, 2012

“Princess Sofia” is how the girl in “how to lose a guy in ten days” calls her boyfriend’s privates to annoy him.

Glad I only have boys, because playing with “princess sofia” would make me fight stupid thoughts away all the time!

rebecca

Posted at 5:49 PM on January 26, 2012

Gosh I wish they made a Mexican princess instead!:(

Maricela

Posted at 11:52 PM on December 14, 2011

She is adorable just like my little Sofia.

Ann

Posted at 11:43 AM on December 13, 2011

She’s adorable!!! She kinda looks like my daughter :)