'Star Trek' Legend George Takei Slams 'Twilight'

Mon, December 12, 2011 2:16pm EST by 45 Comments
George Takei Twilight
Loading video...

The famous ‘Star Trek’ actor called Twilight ‘really, really bad.’ Was he out of line?

George Takei, best known as Hikaru Sulu on Star Trek, made a video addressing his former co-star William Shatner and Star Wars’ Carrie Fisher, who have been feuding over whose franchise is better, to focus on the bigger problem in the science fiction world today: Twilight.

George claims that what is needed today is “Star Peace” and says,”for there is an ominous mutual threat to all science fiction. It’s called Twilight and it is really, really bad.”

He goes on to insult Kristen Stewart‘s and Robert Pattinson‘s characters and explains, “Gone is any sense of heroism, camaraderie or epic battles. In its place, we have vampires that sparkle, moan and go to high school.”

In addition to his mocking the series, he thinks Twilight doesn’t mentally stimulate the audience’s minds. “Sci-fi fans be warned, there are no great stories, characters or profound life lessons to be found in Twilight. Nooo…In Twilight, the only message that rings through loud and clear is: ‘Does my boyfriend like me?'”

He muses that he and his fellow ‘star folks’ should band together to end this ‘mutual threat.’

Do you think George Takei is being too harsh, HollywoodLifers?

For More Twilight Stories

1. Robert Pattinson & Kristen Stewart Have Great Chemistry, Says Co-Star
  2. Robert Pattinson: ‘Breaking Dawn’ Was Emotionally Difficult To Film
  3. Robert Pattinson Would Love To Do Another ‘Twilight’ Movie

Grasmi

Posted at 2:06 AM on November 11, 2014

Thank you Mr Sulu. Twilight is aimed squarely at the ‘tweenie’ market. Which is why no one bothered to hire an actual actor given the pre- pubescent age of the target audience. LLAP.

Alex

Posted at 3:25 PM on December 22, 2011

You’re THE man, Mr. Sulu

jeepe

Posted at 7:25 AM on December 17, 2011

Just shut up old man… Twilight is nice unlike Star Trek.

James Patrick

Posted at 4:34 PM on December 14, 2011

Star Wars is better than Star Trek, but both are better tha Twilight anyway.

StarWarsTrekandPotterfan

Posted at 12:46 PM on December 14, 2011

Star Trek fans, Star Wars fans and Harry Potter fans should join together and go against Twilight, that would be great!
Robert Pattinson would go into Team Potter obviously!
Cedric Diggory Till death!!

Angel11

Posted at 3:00 PM on December 13, 2011

This was an odd article…it was like reading an article from the Twilight Zone or something. I’m a huge fan of the Twilight books and films; and, I’m a diehard Trekie (although I’ve never cared for William Shatner)!

dee

Posted at 9:25 AM on December 13, 2011

Twilight is a fantasy. I think parents should be role models in the homes for their children. Harry Potter had young kids riding brooms with a wand practicing magic. We did not hear of children try doing that because it is not real. Twilight is a good fantasy movie and young girls know the difference. If you don’t get it READ the books but don’t BLAME the movie…. George Takei is out of line.

kingkasyski

Posted at 7:53 AM on December 13, 2011

I think Georgina here got some hots for the boys of Twilight,he just want to be noticed,well,by golly,she/he got it!

shiza

Posted at 7:50 AM on December 13, 2011

twilight is a epic, n shouldn’t be mocked by somone lik dis, i think its a legendary saga which defines luv, dat can be happened to anyone.

beep

Posted at 3:44 PM on December 13, 2011

just as epic by the way you spell and write!

Allison

Posted at 7:42 AM on December 13, 2011

I personally adore the Twilight series! Im a die hard twi hard!! I own every book, every movie that has came out, every soundtrack that has came out, I go to every mid night showing, When the movies are out in cinemas I go to every showing, I have 35 Twilight saga tee shirts, I have a room at my house just for Twilight, I tried to make my room look a lot like Bella’s, I named both my children after Bella and Renesmee, My husbands name is Edward, and I go to every convention. Obviously that guy does not know what he’s missing!

beep

Posted at 3:43 PM on December 13, 2011

you need to see a psychiatrist! you may have some problems, really! LOL

beep

Posted at 7:06 AM on December 13, 2011

I think he’s right! Twilight is just what he said it is! That’s not a slam – it’s just stating facts!

kendall#!

Posted at 6:12 AM on December 13, 2011

its not very bad its just doesn’t make any sense(twilight)

Holli

Posted at 3:00 AM on December 13, 2011

I agree. The only message twilight gives is “If you could choose between a vampire and a human being, choose the vampire”

Wulf

Posted at 7:30 AM on December 13, 2011

The messages in Twilight are …

1) That it’s okay if you are a middle-aged woman to like skinny young boys, as long as they are pretending to be 100 years old.

2) As a girl, do you choose necrophilia or bestiality?

3) That being liked is more important than graduating from high school. (A message which most American shows and movies aimed at kids try to get across.)