'Once Upon A Time' Recap: Regina Kills… Someone Beautiful

Sun, December 11, 2011 11:59pm EDT by 38 Comments

We’ve known this tragic death was coming, but nothing could have prepared me for it. I ugly-cried so hard.

I hate being right — especially when it means devastatingly handsome law enforcement officials have to die. But that’s exactly what happened on the Dec. 11 episode of Once Upon A Time. Join me in mourning, won’t you?

Let me begin by saying that if everyone on this show was able to put the pieces together as quickly as Sheriff Graham (Jamie Dornan) did, the series would already be over. One drunken kiss with Emma (Jennifer Morrison) and his head was filled with memories of his fairy tale life — as the huntsman! He remembered being hired by the Evil Queen (Lana Parrilla), he remembered letting Snow White (Ginnifer Goodwin) live, and he remembered the Queen stealing his heart as punishment.

Come to think of it, Regina being in possession of Graham’s heart clears up quite a few of my questions: Like why he was so emotionally detached when it came to women — and why he kept sleeping with her, despite her being cold in bed. But I digress…

The same wolf that caused Emma to crash her car in the pilot also appeared to Graham in a dream, eventually leading him and Emma to the mausoleum where he believed Regina was keeping his heart. And even though Regina showed up to spoil their big discovery, the evening wasn’t a total bust, because it led to one of my favorite things in the world: GIRL FIGHT!

Regina started things off with a sucker punch, followed by an impressive left hook from Emma. More punching followed, but I was too wrapped up in boyish delight to recall the gory details. The fight ended with Graham finally telling Regina off, and leaving her to be with Emma.

Sadly, their happy ending wasn’t to be. When Regina came over to the real world, she brought her gross little collection of hearts with her — and she just happened to hide them under the mausoleum. So while Graham and Emma were back at the station, reveling in each other’s beauty, Regina retrieved Graham’s heart and squeezed it… to death.

Graham’s lifeless body hit the floor, followed by Emma’s sobs, and the the screams (well, make that tweets) of million of fans watching at home. It was a devastating way to wrap up the first part of season one, but it also solidified two very important things about Once Upon A Time:

1. No one is safe.
2. Regina Mills is an evil, evil bitch.

Since we’ve got a few weeks until new episodes return, let’s pass the time with some mindless theorizing: What was the big secret the Queen told Snow White that caused their feud? And who else’s heart does Regina have in her little collection?

— Andy Swift

Follow Andy on Twitter for more Once Upon A Time

Emi

Posted at 2:31 PM on January 12, 2012

I also saw on imdb that he had 19 total episodes for the show, but now it only says 7. I guess he’s dead dead then :'(

Theresa

Posted at 3:16 PM on January 8, 2012

Can I just say while all this sobbing over Graham’s death is going on (not that I’m not upset about it…) that I LOVE the character of Rumpelstilzkin? I know he’s sort of one of the bad guys but the way he doesn’t seem to try to prevent Emma or anyone else from finding out the truth and how he always drops certain hints makes him the most fascinating of all! I mean, he could have easily killed Graham with that shovel (for a moment he even had me worried^^) but he DIDN’T, even though he knew he remembered stuff! He’s really just fascinating and profound and I think there’s even more to him than meets the eye ;)

Viv

Posted at 7:00 PM on January 4, 2012

Did anyone catch the part in the second episode where the evil queen is with sleeping beauty’s evil queen. And she says “weren’t you the same age when you were to be married before snow white ruined it all for you?” so did this secret snow white spilled cost Regina this marriage? Or maybe cost her the happiness in her marriage with snow white’s dad? Who knows what this secret is, but it’s fun guessing!

Niki

Posted at 10:05 AM on January 4, 2012

I think the secret is something simple and humanizing. Like that she saw the queen crying or that Elder Henry is actually her father and not a henchmen.

Carla

Posted at 10:05 PM on January 1, 2012

I wish he would come back that would be fantasmic… But Rumple cant bring back the dead…

emma

Posted at 9:18 PM on January 1, 2012

Im devastated. Just when he becomes my favorite character, he dies. I think that somehow Mr. Gold will bring him back…for a price, of course:/

Katherine

Posted at 8:26 PM on December 29, 2011

i think i have some idea’s of how to bring him back.
1.)he’s in flash backs then is still alive in the fairy tale land.
2.)Emma finds something out about Mr. Gold and he’ll do any thing to stop it from getting out.
3.)Emma makes a deal with rumpelstiltskin ( Mr. Gold ) and in return she gets Sheriff Graham back.
( i love happy endings) :[D

K

Posted at 3:43 PM on December 13, 2011

I don’t completely believe that our gorgeous sheriff is done, however it may only say on IMDB that the actor is still on the show because he is…but in the fairytale land as the huntsman, I think hes pretty dead in Storybrooke, like someone already said (Regina pretty much destroyed his heart.) But I’m pissed besides Prince Charming the Huntsman was the hottest, its very upsetting I wanted him to be with Emma, besides that I do think that the secret has something to do with Rumple because he doesnt seem to be trying to help Regina keep the curse under wraps, hes not really helping them figure it out, but he definitely remembers and he kind of eggs everyone on, like the Prince and the Huntsman, and he doesnt want to stop Henry and Emma from figuring it out. I’d say the queen and rumple had a deal that has to do with her lover and snow wanted to help but instead messed it all up for the queen and now Regina’s a bitch. there ya go, cant wait till January I could watch this show all day long.

Zack

Posted at 12:10 PM on December 13, 2011

maybe since shes the miller’s daughter maybe its her in rumplestiltskins story about turning straw to gold maybe she fell in love with the king and then when snow white told this secret the king tried to leave her but she had him killed or something why snow white caused her life to be destroyed.

kelly

Posted at 3:06 AM on December 13, 2011

why kill gram.. i love his character.. i wanna see him and emma together on the show!!! :(

Hoping Sheriff Graham Will Survive

Posted at 6:19 PM on December 12, 2011

Honestly, I don’s think that Sheriff Graham will permanently die. I don’t think that his character will be gone. The reason why I say this is because I went on IMDB under Once Upon A Time and under Jamie Dornan (the actor who plays Sheriff Graham), it says that he is in the next few episodes after the one that was just aired on December 11th. So I think that he will come back whether it be by what another comment said about true love’s kiss, or possibly another reason. But ya I just don’t think that his character will be permanently gone.

Source: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1946193/

true loves kiss

Posted at 4:49 PM on December 12, 2011

I think that if Emma is the chosen one, and could bring back Graham’s memory by a kiss, I think she would be able to bring him back by a kiss. A true love’s kiss…This is just my 2 cents, what are your thoughts???

Andy Swift

Posted at 5:19 PM on December 12, 2011

I’d like to think Emma could bring him back, but Regina kind of disintegrated his heart. :-/ I’m not holding my breath…

Jennie

Posted at 2:47 PM on January 28, 2012

Solution: Have Emma kiss everybody in Storybrooke. Maybe, that would jog everybody’s memories. Ha ha

Laura

Posted at 12:40 PM on December 12, 2011

her last name is Mills – she is the Miller’s daughter, that’s why they showed her father early on. We get the idea he is a nice man, but maybe a dope. Obviously she loved her father but not that much or he had already betrayed her. He or Snow white said she could spin gold and then told the king. Maybe snow thought it would help a fiancial crisis. But instead the kind forces her into a loveless marriage, that she is constantly calling upon Rumple to make some gold for. And her lover is whisked away – and perhaps hidden somewhere in Storybrooke or dare i say it the outside world. Because I don’t think there’s enough characters in storybrooke and being there really ups your chances of finding your happy ending anyway. Plus Henry’s dad is def a character i know it. and emma is going to be sleeping beauty – maybe.

just my two cents.

spas

Posted at 2:50 PM on December 13, 2011

insightful. the miller’s daughter, could be. indeed, they are threading the fairy tales together into a medley. i think the lover she referred to losing was the king – i think she is so angry because she felt compelled to kill her lover. perhaps she feared he was going to leave her after whatever snow white told him.

Katherine

Posted at 8:38 PM on December 29, 2011

no emma is snow whites daughter

Anonymous

Posted at 10:29 AM on December 12, 2011

Great great show. Can’t wait for the next episode.

Angela

Posted at 9:44 AM on December 12, 2011

So.. the Queen told Snow who blabbed and thus preventing the Queen from ever seeing her lover again… the King was involved… something about a door… It was relevant enough that the King had to do something about the lover but not threatening enough to do anything to the Queen…

The Queen was trying to revive an old lover, told Snow, who told King, who forbade the Queen to try anything and made a wish to make sure she couldn’t do anything, possibly hiding the body or something relevant to the reviving process behind the door that, for some reason needs Snow’s heart (he probably talked to Rumpelstiltskin who made that condition).

I considered having the lover be from another world/kingdom but then why would Queenie have become Queen then, unless it was to do something about it, but even then if the King was kind then he would’ve let her go I think. The lover could also have been sick/in a magical sleep or something, so Snow would’ve blabbed thinking she would be helping but King thought otherwise, but then I don’t see why Queen would need to open a door.

Then again, since it’s from Lost… maybe something to do with time travel/predictions, so maybe the Queen had yet to meet her lover, so when the King did something to prevent their meeting, she saw that her love was lost.. heh, Lost. :p

Andy Swift

Posted at 12:39 PM on December 12, 2011

Oh, time travel… I hadn’t even considered that yet 0_0

Rae

Posted at 7:23 AM on December 12, 2011

Most of the fanbase knew it was coming because Jamie Dornan hasn’t been seen on set for quite a while.
I am crushed that he is gone, but I see why, it was important to the story. I loved the final scene between him and Emma to pieces, but I just wish that he got out a ‘Henry was right!’ for Emma’s benefit before he died.

Andy Swift

Posted at 12:40 PM on December 12, 2011

Right?! He was so close to saying it! :(

Regina

Posted at 8:24 PM on December 12, 2011

Oh my god I bawled! I wanted them to be together so bad!! their chemistry is like magic :( Please come back Graham!!!

Tessa

Posted at 4:21 AM on December 12, 2011

Come back Graham!!! Please be in a coma like the prince!!! :'(

I am so depressed.

Katherine

Posted at 8:48 PM on December 29, 2011

ya the prince was like stabbed with s sword in the first episode and he came back why not Graham?

Jace

Posted at 2:06 AM on December 12, 2011

I know all of you think he’ll be brought back to life because he’s supposed to be in 22 episodes but I have the sinking gut feeling that he’s only in for 22 episodes because of flashbacks, but that doesn’t stop me from crying my eyes out and hoping that you guys are all right and he will be brought back

Bitch Stole My Remote

Posted at 12:35 AM on December 12, 2011

Agreed that the Sheriff was too pretty to die. Since this is structured around flashbacks, though, we may still see him in future episodes.

We also loved the girl fight and talked about it in our recap on bitchstolemyremote here: http://wp.me/p1VQBq-cw. Can’t wait to see how Graham’s death affects the show!

Sara

Posted at 12:09 AM on December 12, 2011

I think Graham comes back to life b/c i was looking at the cast list on ImDb and it showed under his character that he was in 22 episodes like all the other major characters….hmmmmm

Regina

Posted at 8:22 PM on December 12, 2011

He could also be in flashbacks.

Courtney

Posted at 8:15 PM on December 18, 2011

There’s no reason for him to be in flashbacks every single episode. His story line in the fantasy world is basically complete… so unless the huntsman has a bigger role than we originally knew, he’s coming back. :)

Cara

Posted at 12:06 AM on December 12, 2011

Totally agree about Regina mills being an evil bitch haha, entertaining recap, I’m also sad to see graham go.

Kay

Posted at 12:05 AM on December 12, 2011

I think that Graham should be brought back to life by some mystical spell that Rumplestiltskin has. And the Prince should come to another realization that Mary Margaret is his true love. It bothers me that he went back to his wife!!!

Emma

Posted at 11:17 PM on December 11, 2011

I think Graham should be brought back to life by someone. Anyone, it doesn’t matter!

Andy Swift

Posted at 12:00 AM on December 12, 2011

I like the way you think.

Regina

Posted at 11:06 PM on December 11, 2011

I think the big secret is something about the queens past like a possible killing of someone to get where she is or maybe she had Snow Whites fathers heart in there and he betrayed her so she killed him.

As for the other hearts, I think one of them is Rumpelstiltskin’s, one could also be Snow Whites Prince Charming.

I BAWLED when Sheriff Graham died I was like “Really?! as soon as my favorite pairing kisses she just has to kill him off.” I think that if Graham hadn’t left Regina she wouldn’t have killed him just maybe have sent him to the nuthouse.

Andy Swift

Posted at 11:11 PM on December 11, 2011

Hmm… Rumpelstiltskin is a good guess, but didn’t they make a deal in the fairy tale world where she has to do everything he says… or at least help him every time he comes to her? I feel like he’s got all the power in their relationship.

Kisatrtle

Posted at 10:44 PM on December 11, 2011

The secret has to have something to do with her real love. The pne snow stole. I am not certain. As for other hearts, that too is a little hard to figure out. Great recap

libbysnediker@yahoo.com

Posted at 12:24 AM on January 31, 2012

As much as I LOVE Graham and as much as I want him to come back I am starting to lose faith that he is coming back. I hate myself for saying that but Regina (curse her name!!) squished his heart into a pile of nothing! Is that how you spell squished? Anyways, it would be awesome if Emma could kiss him and he would come back to life but I don’t think a kiss can rebuild his heart :(