Kirstin Says: Is Rachel Crow, 13, Too Young For The 'X Factor' Spotlight?

Fri, December 9, 2011 3:23am EDT by 86 Comments
Rachel Crow X Factor

After witnessing Rachel Crow’s emotional breakdown when she learned she had been voted off ‘The X Factor,’ I have to wonder if producers should raise the age limit next season

First it was Astro and then it was Rachel Crow…and neither were pretty. When Astro — who was 14 when he started The X Factor and 15 when he left — was placed in the bottom two for the first time, he threw a hissy fit and refused to sing his save song. Only a couple weeks later on Dec. 8, Rachel, 13, was voted off and fell to the floor in a fit of tears. Is all of the pressure of live, reality TV too much for kids to handle?

Don’t get me wrong. As a former child performer myself, I’m 100% supportive of kids in show biz, but I have to wonder if a show of this magnitude is healthy. It’s already stressful enough to keep things together when you’re a grown person, but to be barely out of middle school and riding the roller coaster that is The X Factor? Forget about it.

In the beginning, I raved about Simon Cowells decision to lower the age limits. “The kids make the show!” I wrote. It’s true…they really do. Kids and animals, they’ll steal any show. We get attached to them; we’re impressed by their talents; and most of all, they pull at our heart strings and bring out the emotion. In essence, kids = ratings.

However, after tonight’s display (combined with Astro’s attitude), I’d like to ask FOX producers to consider increasing the age limit of their show. When she learned Marcus Canty made the semi-finals over her, Rachel LITERALLY fell to the ground, stole any attention from him and started sobbing like she’d just seen a murder. It was so upsetting, her mom and Simon sprinted to the stage and picked her up, both promising it would be okay.

“You PROMISE?” she screamed, through her sobs. Jeez, it broke my heart — but it was also really unsettling. It felt like I was watching a human being come undone before my very eyes.

I guess moments like this are what make reality television so entertaining. But I think we need to think twice before allowing our source of entertainment to come from kids younger than 16.

What do you think? Were Astro and Rachel just coincidences? (After all, Drew didn’t break down like them.) Or should The X Factor age limits be raised? Sound off below!

Loading video...

Email me! | Follow me on Twitter | Become a Facebook fan

Click here to read this week’s recap!

Click here for a recap of Rachel’s elimination

Matt

Posted at 1:23 PM on December 9, 2011

If she acts like that at a rejection, then unfortunately she isn’t cut out for the business…

xoxItWasntMe

Posted at 12:39 PM on December 9, 2011

Rachel’s 1st Meltdown was the same night Astro had his. If you look back you can see how hard she was crying from the pressure when her name had not been called as “quickly” to go straight through as previous shows. American teens just aren’t as emotionally mature as other countries & maybe the age should be raised for these forms of competition. Our 17yrs old are about the same emoptional maturity level as a 14yr old in 3rd world countries. Its not meant as an insult, simply the “easy life” of our teens are reflected in how they handle criticism & disappointments.

Ella s

Posted at 12:37 PM on December 9, 2011

And I agree with Jill I def have a different opinion about Nicole her whole presence wasn’t needed for this like are u seriously crying so dramatic u couldn’t make a decision like that she’s worse than Paula smh !! I can’t I just can’t with these judges !!

jill

Posted at 12:31 PM on December 9, 2011

None of this would have happened if Nicole had done her job, clearly Rachel should have been in the final’s. Come on Marcus has been in the bottom 3 now 3 times, next week it will be his time anyways. Nicole is a grown women all her crying and tears was very unprofessional and it’s not like she didn’t know next week would be Marcus’s time anyway. Rachel has been nothing but humble, sweet and charming, she is the whole package deal, she will go far. I totally believe Disney or someone will pick her up if they have not already done soon. This little girl loves to entertain so I can see why she was so emotional. Her crying deal only lasted a few minutes she composed herself fairly quickly. Drew was crying after each judge and then harder when she was on stage the entire time. I guess people forget!!!! Don’t worry Rachel, you will be someone and so many people/fans love and adore you…. Wish more 13 year olds were like you…. Good luck in everything you do my dear… Xfactor will not be the same without you.

Jessica

Posted at 12:21 PM on December 9, 2011

I didnt think that Rachel Crow should of left lastnight she was on of the BEST !! && i dont think that age should matter as long as yu have Talent! alot of celebrity started at a young age.Nicole is a babycry if you cant handel the Job idk why do it!Marcus Canty was in the bottom 2 3time im not say he cant sing but didnt he get sent home !!! ” A GIRL NEEDS HER OWN BATHROOM” I LOVE RACHEL AND I BET SHE’LL BE BAKKK !!!!!

Rachels Mom

Posted at 12:16 PM on December 9, 2011

It’s ok Rachel, I did the same thing when my band got a more experienced guitarist and cut me from the band. Maybe you could find a job helping seniors and giving up on the singing. After all, every person in America did say that your not good enough and did NOT like your singing…. Sometimes, we have to give up on our dreams and find creativity in other ways that dont include music in any way.. Maybe Marcus could give you his CD to listen to to cheer you up…C’mon…There’s No Crying In Baseball !!!

vanessa

Posted at 12:04 PM on December 9, 2011

Rachel era una de mis favoritas ayer me hizo llorar , aún no puedo creer que ya no este en competencia.

Dawn

Posted at 11:59 AM on December 9, 2011

This was disturbing on several levels. First, I don’t like the way any of these “elimination” shows, force the competitors to stand there and await their “fate,” with the “enterainment” being the disappointment of the act sent home. There is just no reason to do this on stage. The vote can take place with the contestants back-stage. Second, the show should specifically prepare them for rejection (maybe even with a psychologist)– especially if children are in it. Third, the judges should do their job. Nicole did not vote as she believed because she wanted a tie. That was shirking off her duty as a judge. Fourth, people are implying that Rachel’s mother promised her that she would win, but it sounded to me her mother told her it would be alright and Rachel said, “You promise?” Nothing wrong with that — that’s a normal mother-daughter interaction at a time when comfort is needed. Finally, yes, I was surprised and disappointed that Rachel didn’t take it better, at 14, entering a highly stressful competition like this. Maybe no one close to her realized that she was so vulnerable and such a kid. I hope that this is a lesson to all involved that kids need to be prepared emotionally, as well as vocally, when they enter this arena. In any case, she is an incredibly talented and adorable girl who will go far as a result of the exposure that she got on this show. Finally, somebody should acknowledge that, even as he won the competition, Marcus reached for Rachel to comfort her, but was pushed away. At the end, he hugged her and, I think, kissed her cheek as he whispered something in her ear. Marcus was spectacular too, which was why the decision was a hard one. I wish both of these young people magnificent lives.

Casey

Posted at 11:27 AM on December 9, 2011

Is the result real or staged? All three young teens eliminated during the last three weeks of X Factor. How does that happen? And Marcus survives all three weeks?

Gabe

Posted at 11:03 AM on December 9, 2011

never ever watched Idol when it ran and I happened to be flipping channels the night Rachel audition, I instantly got hooked by her charm and charisma not only did she have the voice but the pure confidence of a star she has the Elvis Factor!!
I will no longer watch the show and last night was not handle correctly, her survival song reach my very core and it was a winning performance. Ms. Amaro is from South Florida and we are hoping she takes it, their is no denying her vocal abilities ! But in my opinion Rachel is a total package!! Judges you have no idea how many viewers you last last night!! all we ask is for you to call it correctly with the remaining 4 don’t make it personal you must be totally neutral, if you would have followed the rules Rachel rightfully would have moved to the semi-final last night!!!!

Letty

Posted at 10:49 AM on December 9, 2011

My heart dropped to my stomach when Rachel fell to the floor and starting crying. I just felt so much of her pain and thought wow as jeniune as she was that was the most awful thing that could have happened. I wish much success to you darling because you deserve it. Maybe T.V. is better for you…Nickolodian or one of those children shows for your bubbly attitude. :) take care and hope to see you soon.

Arlette

Posted at 10:45 AM on December 9, 2011

Why is it so wrong for those teens to cry when they got rejected, they got feelings too. They aren’t aliens. The only people behaving immature in this show are the judges. :p

samantha

Posted at 10:43 AM on December 9, 2011

I’m not even a nicole fan considering how disappointed i was when tiger was not in the top 12 but i have to say clearly this time round it’s not nicole’s fault. yes rachel has been good more than half of the time but her performance for MJ tribute was alr a major let down. how drew manage to survive so far only simon knows but it’s really ridiculous seeing that rachel’s out because of the least number of vote and nicole get blame. still i think it has nth to do with age in fact teenagers around 20 may get more emotional than the younger ones.

jean

Posted at 10:40 AM on December 9, 2011

Drew, Astro and Rachel all acted totally immature when they got the boot, which is understandable because they are young. However, I don’t want to watch a 13 year old get devastated on National tv and I am sure no one else does either. They obviously are not ready for a televised contest because they are not emotionally ready to lose. Therefore, they should not be there or if they are, then maybe someone should prepare them for the fact that they may, in fact, LOSE!!! The whole thing was awful to watch, and totally not fair to the contestant that DOES make it.

M

Posted at 10:30 AM on December 9, 2011

You kinda forgot the part where her mother said everything was going to be okay first, and then she said “You promise?”

Secondly, attention away from Marcus Canty? Last time I checked, they didn’t post a recap of his time on X-Factor. But of course, people are going to conflate a temper tantrum made by a young man with a serious ego with a genuine moment of shock in what is probably going to be the most shocking upset in this season. It’s not like a poor girl who’s never had a chance at success like this is not going to cry.

She also was interviewed afterward, and she even consoled Nicole, so it sounds like she’s a lot more mature than you’re letting on.

Fanny

Posted at 10:17 AM on December 9, 2011

Nicole was very inspired to leave it with american voters. If the audience said Marcus is better, there shouldn’t be complains. Millions of people DECIDE, not one person as Nicole. The public prefers Canty and everyone has to understand that. If you want to blame someone, that is your citizens not a judge, and I think that’s fair, because they will make records for us not for those four judges. Marcus has more appeal to audience because he is a very good singer, stage appearance, he is a good looking and has a style. When I see him I see Usher. Congrats LA! Excellent job!Guys, do not be nasty with Nicole!Be realistic! she did the best on the audience’s favor and recording companies.
Rachel was not mentally prepared for loss and I find that’s Simon’s fault.The way she threw herself on the floor on the national tv express her immature behavior, low class. What was in her mind? that she is the winner waiting for last week to be cofirmed? WRONG!The other contestants are away better than y

Bob

Posted at 8:34 AM on December 9, 2011

Britain has had several competitors in these shows younger than 16 all eliminated and dealt with it very maturely. Even Connie Talbot came 2nd in Britain’s got Talent and she was only 6, she didn’t cry or get upset just said she enjoyed it and well done to Paul Potts.

Point I’m making is the age limit isn’t the issue just the maturity level and attitude of these contestants.

Ferrer

Posted at 11:28 AM on December 9, 2011

I have to agree with the poster, she acted very immature. I don’t know what her mother promised her but she acted like a spoiled child not a 14 year old (I met 14 years olds and they’re more mature than this young girl. Her mother should have told her this is a competition and there will be somebody going home. She didn’t have to cause a big scene and cried like somebody was beating her up, look at Jackie Evancho, she didn’t win came second and she was very gracious and mature about her opponent’s winning. I was pretty much turned off by the whole ordeal.

Tenessa

Posted at 8:33 AM on December 9, 2011

Nicole, you should go home. Simon, pick another judge. Ridiculous! Rachel clearly had a strong performance each week & was never ONCE in the bottom. I feel horrible for that amazing talented girl. She didn’t deserve to go home.

Black Beauty

Posted at 10:30 AM on December 9, 2011

I agree with you 100% Rachel clearly blew Marcus out the water with her save me song. I could never respect Nicole again. Marcus performance and like a lot of his other performance lack vocal skills. RACHEL CROW WILL BE SOMEBODY!

adrienne

Posted at 8:09 AM on December 9, 2011

I agree so much with this. Rachel crow should of been eliminated just by the way she acted last night when she was voted off. yes, first astro then drew , now rachel. drew wasn’t so bad when she was voted off but andrew still cried like an immature baby just not to the extent as rachel crow. I think there should be an age limit on the show because of the way astro rachel andrew handle the rejection. rachel tries to act older then she is all the time but her true age showed last night during the vote off. people keep blaming nicole for her going home but it is not nicoles fault it is the people that didn’t vote for rachel…… that should’ve voted for rachel because it was the viewersu in the end who voted her off by not voting. when they first announced rachel’s name of the 1 going home her eyes bugged out so far. it went from shock to overdramatic in 1.2 seconds. please raise the age limit I don’t know if I can handle such a immaturity. the way rachel collapsed onstage when she heard her name and the things she was saying like when she was talking to her mom saying that “you promised” oh my goodness

adrienne

Posted at 8:12 AM on December 9, 2011

Sorry above.. it said “Andrew” when my post was supposed to say “drew.”

mersha

Posted at 7:44 AM on December 9, 2011

This was terrible………………..i cried!!

Keon Montford

Posted at 9:38 AM on December 9, 2011

Me Tooooo ! It was TERRIBLE ! She is Real Pretty Though. I’m Only 15 so i’m not weird! :'(

Lorey

Posted at 6:15 AM on December 9, 2011

Rachel is no ordinary child she is superbly talented so don’t go criticizing her and putting her on the same boat as Astro. She cried and he was angry at people she is sweet and he was not! This girl will be around for a long time haters so get used to it. :P

WELL DUH

Posted at 7:36 AM on December 9, 2011

Well Astro got signed to Jay Z’s Roc Nation so he is obviously talented

stev0

Posted at 6:09 AM on December 9, 2011

you obviously didnt watch the show last week because drew cryed just as much, MORE actually (she was sobbing through the end of the show)
…WTF?
including her would have helped your argument even more (drew is 14?)

adrienne

Posted at 8:17 AM on December 9, 2011

I totally agree with you on this 1. drew was just as bad. they seem to get such big heads on the show.. and then when they get eliminated their true age shows . They never did this type of overdramatic reactions to getting eliminated on older shows like star search. take it like a professional and live with dignity after being eliminated not like an inmature teen

sherri

Posted at 5:51 AM on December 9, 2011

i watched this again and i am sorry but i have to agree with Nicole, i mean really?? sure i would be upset too but to sob like she did, she is too young for the pressures. i know when my daughter was younger and in competitions there were times, ( and i love my girl ) that her attitude and scenes were outrageous!!! I agree Nicole!

adrienne

Posted at 8:19 AM on December 9, 2011

and I agree with you lol

Ames Hanshaw

Posted at 4:48 AM on December 9, 2011

Your comment “Were Astro and Rachel just coincidences? (After all, Drew didn’t break down like them.)” baffles me because Drew’s vote-off breakdown was far more emotional than the brief crying episode by Rachel Crow. Go back and view the video footage. I agree with you that the minimum age should be raised because the young contestants are too immature.

polly piper

Posted at 3:55 AM on December 9, 2011

Basicall, any competition involving children is a reality show, albeit not usually televised.
I don’t know what goes on behind the scened on the show, but I do know that when my own child was involved in similar (less public) competitions, it was discussed with her before each round… what would winning look like? What would losing look like? What comes after losing? I would hope their parents and mentors would do the same.
No one likes losing, and I think Rachel’s reaction was pretty normal for a 13/14 year old. Some hold it in better. Rachel is such a trooper, but she’s also a what you see is what you get kind of personality…real… it’s what we love about her. So.. she was real about her disappointment too.

adrienne

Posted at 8:22 AM on December 9, 2011

um, no she wasn’t real during her elimination she kept saying “it’s okay everyone it’s okay everyone its okay it’s okay whatever your decision is” ……. but then when they called her name she lit up like a fuse and then collapsed on the ground like a crying baby

Cecilia

Posted at 3:05 PM on December 9, 2011

You are SSSOOOO RIGHT!!! I thought she was making Nicole feel pressured to vote Marcus out by saying ” I’m alright with anything Nicole” After they got the votes in she was sssoooo confident. Suddenly she gets eliminated. I thought she was reacting like a big baby and yes!! I thought Marcus should get voted out but unless Rachel Crow has something to look forward to like doing great things with Disney.

Eros

Posted at 10:10 AM on December 10, 2011

….and not to be too judgemental of that extremely talented little girl and all the pressure that she has been thrust into by being on the show

But after that episode, I kinda felt like I had been duped all the while by her previous displays of sweetness and I’m wondering what other displays we may have missed behind the scenes.
And that speech she made afterwards. It was like watching Anne Baxter in ‘All About Eve’