Kirstin Says: Is Rachel Crow, 13, Too Young For The 'X Factor' Spotlight?

Fri, December 9, 2011 3:23am EDT by 86 Comments
Rachel Crow X Factor

After witnessing Rachel Crow’s emotional breakdown when she learned she had been voted off ‘The X Factor,’ I have to wonder if producers should raise the age limit next season

First it was Astro and then it was Rachel Crow…and neither were pretty. When Astro — who was 14 when he started The X Factor and 15 when he left — was placed in the bottom two for the first time, he threw a hissy fit and refused to sing his save song. Only a couple weeks later on Dec. 8, Rachel, 13, was voted off and fell to the floor in a fit of tears. Is all of the pressure of live, reality TV too much for kids to handle?

Don’t get me wrong. As a former child performer myself, I’m 100% supportive of kids in show biz, but I have to wonder if a show of this magnitude is healthy. It’s already stressful enough to keep things together when you’re a grown person, but to be barely out of middle school and riding the roller coaster that is The X Factor? Forget about it.

In the beginning, I raved about Simon Cowells decision to lower the age limits. “The kids make the show!” I wrote. It’s true…they really do. Kids and animals, they’ll steal any show. We get attached to them; we’re impressed by their talents; and most of all, they pull at our heart strings and bring out the emotion. In essence, kids = ratings.

However, after tonight’s display (combined with Astro’s attitude), I’d like to ask FOX producers to consider increasing the age limit of their show. When she learned Marcus Canty made the semi-finals over her, Rachel LITERALLY fell to the ground, stole any attention from him and started sobbing like she’d just seen a murder. It was so upsetting, her mom and Simon sprinted to the stage and picked her up, both promising it would be okay.

“You PROMISE?” she screamed, through her sobs. Jeez, it broke my heart — but it was also really unsettling. It felt like I was watching a human being come undone before my very eyes.

I guess moments like this are what make reality television so entertaining. But I think we need to think twice before allowing our source of entertainment to come from kids younger than 16.

What do you think? Were Astro and Rachel just coincidences? (After all, Drew didn’t break down like them.) Or should The X Factor age limits be raised? Sound off below!

Loading video...

Email me! | Follow me on Twitter | Become a Facebook fan

Click here to read this week’s recap!

Click here for a recap of Rachel’s elimination

CarolO

Posted at 11:09 AM on December 26, 2011

It was more than just Rachael that was too young although her sitting on the floor and screaming for her mommy will not be forgotten. Drew took losing very badly as well as Astro acting like a jerk.

I think they should have to be 18 and out of school so they can persue their career without having to have private school tutors and take chaperones everywhere with them.

Elizabeth Huizar

Posted at 2:45 PM on December 14, 2011

I WANT IT <3

rita

Posted at 10:59 PM on December 13, 2011

Rachel you are the future best singer,American icon but you are to young to be an adult injoy your childhood first because you need good menories which money can not buy . love you

shazzer

Posted at 5:32 AM on December 13, 2011

why should she get over anything! with the talent she has she deserves 10 bathrooms if she wants them! don’t you think from her life experiences and what she had survived to even still be living she might know a little bit more than you about it being a “Hard world!”get over your jealousy and give the girl her rightful acknowledgement for her extraordinary talent you negative person!

reco

Posted at 10:39 PM on December 12, 2011

No, I don’t think they should raise the age limit. But they should have a serious talk with them beforehand and tell the judges to stop dragging it out and making it worst. Also they should rush the loser off so they don’t spoil it for the winner. BTW drew did break down it was nearly as heart breaking watching her leave as rachael.

kcleah

Posted at 1:54 PM on December 12, 2011

—-Finally I found a site where this question has been raised. Of course they should not have to compete with adults. They are not on the same level and it is unfair to them. I mean really what are the chances that a 13 year old could possibly have a power – house voice that could compete with Melanie or Josh? —–The way she acted was also very typical of someone her age. Rejection at that level maybe too much for someone that young to handle, not to mention the long term psychlogical affects it could possibly have. ———-Just think of the many tragedies that have occured from kids being bullied and feeling rejected on the internet along. Now maginfy that feeling of rejection on stage from the entire Nation.