'X Factor' Recap: Chris Rene Wows With Another Original Song — Could He Win?

Wed, December 7, 2011 9:44pm EDT by 25 Comments
Chris Rene X Factor

I thought I had my favorites figured out, but now I think rapper/singer Chris Rene might be the dark horse of the competition!

What a night on The X Factor! After last week’s abysmal Michael Jackson night, the final five performers needed to redeem themselves, and they did just that. The first half of the show consisted of “dance hits,” which were hit and miss, but the second half was a plot twist — the singers had only 24 hours to pick a song of their choosing to perform the following night — and honestly, they all shined. Sadly, Rachel Crow didn’t thrill me as much as usual — I predict she’ll be in the bottom. However, Josh Krajcik, Melanie Amaro and Chris Rene are all strong contenders for first place, in my book.

Melanie Amaro: At first Melanie’s techno version of Adele‘s “Someone Like You” made me cringe. Why would anyone remix that song like that? However, I have to admit she killed it for what it was. Her voice is unbelievable — and her confidence level is through the roof. “That was really good. The only thing that bothered me about it was that it was really good,” L.A. said.

Marcus Canty: Although Marcus was on the chopping block last week, I thought he was awesome tonight. He is such a seasoned veteran on stage — he commands the audience attention. Personally, I probably wouldn’t go out and buy Marcus’ album. However, I’d be stoked to see him perform live in concert. “You took us to church and the dance club at the same time, I love, love, love that you chose that song,” Nicole raved. “You have earned your spot here and I’m so proud of you.”

Rachel Crow: I’m always baffled by Simon’s song choices for Rachel. He seems so dead on with his critiques, but he can’t pick a good song for her to save his life. Tonight was B.O.B.’s “Nothin’ on You,” when she sang about “beautiful girls.” When L.A. asked her about it, she said she was singing about Paula and Nicole. Paula and Nicole were obsessed with the song choice and said it was one of her best performances. However, it wasn’t my favorite. I kind of like it when she goes deeper emotionally…remember when she sang “If I Were A Boy”? Sorry, Rachel — you are rapidly becoming my least favorite. Ugh.

Josh Krajcik: Josh happened to sing one of my very favorite songs right now, Rihanna‘s “We Found Love In A Hopeless Place,” and I ate it up with a spoon. Every last note. Perhaps it’s because I obsessively listen to this diddy on repeat, but this might have been my favorite performance so far. “In the recording world, I could never see you doing that song,” L.A. complained. I see what he’s saying, but it was a THEMED night. He had to do a dance song. The song wasn’t “inappropriate” as Simon said. Booo. Go Josh, GO!

Chris Rene: With Astro gone, Chris is the only rapper left and I really appreciate what he brings to the table. I thought his choice to sing T.I.‘s “Live Your Life” was wise. It worked really well. I didn’t feel like he was covering a song — it felt very original, which is awesome and hard to do with Top 40 hits.

SECOND HALF

Melanie Amaro: “This song describes my dream,” Melanie explained about her choice to sing “There Can Be Miracles.” Melanie is a genius. Not only is this song beautiful, it’s impressive. There are some major high notes, and obviously, she WAILED. Gosh, I love her. That said, I wish Melanie would stop talking so much after her songs. Less is more, my dear.

Marcus Canty: Marcus is really, freaking good. He’s just not my style. I’m really not into the R&B stuff, so I can’t get on board. However, objectively speaking, he’s insanely talented, vocally gifted and fabulous performer. “I’m not going to lie and say that’s the best thing I’ve ever heard, it was a bit boring,” Simon said. L.A. made a Muhammad Ali reference about Marcus being down twice but coming back. Unfortunately, I don’t see that happening.

Rachel Crow: The judges loved Rachel’s song, but I didn’t find it to be as good as Melanie’s. She’s incredible for a 14-year-old singer, but I’m not sure she’s going to win (like I originally thought). “I love that you pick that song for yourself. Your vision for you is really inspiring,” L.A. said. Meh.

Josh Krajcik: Josh was phenomenal in his second song, and all the judges agreed. I think he’s a strong contender for first place and I’d put him right alongside Melanie. That said, I agreed with Simon’s suggestion that he ditch all the dancers and just SING.

Chris Rene: Chris chose to sing an original song, which is scary, but his first original did so well, I had high hopes for this one too. Wow. This guy knows how to write hits. His songs touch me — and they are SO catchy. It’s not normal to hear a song and then remember it after one listen. This song was a little repetitive, but it showed off his personality beautifully. This put him into the next round for me. “It’s either stupidity or a stroke of genius,” Simon said. “That was a stroke of genius.” And then I got chills. Wow, he might be the dark horse.

What did you think of tonight’s episode? Who do you think will be eliminated before the semi finals? Sound off below!

Email me! | Follow me on Twitter | Become a Facebook fan

Larry

Posted at 6:38 PM on December 16, 2011

Chris Rene can’t sing even close 2 as good as Mel or Josh, he can’t rap even close 2 as good as ASTRO and he can’t dance even as close 2 as good as Marcus or the Stero Hoggz, he is the Britney Spears of x factor! maybe people like him because he makes them believe that any average person who cant sing, dance, or rap can get a record deal! and that song he did with the guitar that he wrote, after the first verse he just repeated the same line over and over I could find better song writers in a 1st grade class! half of his words are grunts and he always sings “yeah yeah yeah” how does that ended up in every song?

Nancy Erma

Posted at 3:11 AM on January 12, 2012

Wow, jealous. That boy has it..I picked him from the start. You must be very young. When you grow up you will realize what real talent is. And that’s Chris Rene.They even wrote a song about him before he was even born. “He’s got a way about him. He is going far..To the moon Alice.
Mom

Judie

Posted at 8:06 PM on December 11, 2011

Josh Krajcik is a true artist,,, songwriter, singer, has the soul, the personality, the X Factor. It could be that Josh and Chris will be the final 2. I’m really not into rap, but I do appreciate Chris’s talents. And Josh and Chris seem more like they are in it for the right reasons. I would prefer Chris over Melanie. Josh and Chris are more artistic with what they do.

2jhbhjr

Posted at 11:26 AM on December 11, 2011

what the hell hell hell yeh it’s by OMG katy .. perry
whoop I love one direction

D

Posted at 8:31 PM on December 9, 2011

NeOther will Melanie who wants a new Whitney houston

Tony

Posted at 10:21 PM on December 8, 2011

Are you people crazy, Chris Rene cannot sing a tune. His story is genuine but this is a singing show. No one will buy this guy’s song’s just like the majority of all the american idols who won and went nowhere. Josh and Chris if they win will go nowhere.

Bethany Cousins

Posted at 10:59 AM on December 10, 2011

This is not necessarily a singing competition. Yes, it’s for a recording contract…but, there are a ton of artists that are signed for record contracts who cannot sing.

It’s about the X FACTOR. And, believe me, Chris has got it. So does Josh.

Alyshia

Posted at 12:09 PM on December 21, 2011

You must be kiddin’. Chris is a true artist who writes his own music and performs it amazingly! Melanie and Josh are copy cat artists who sing other artists songs. Yes, they have great voices but it’s not new. Chris is new and out of the three remianing if they could go into the recording studio tomorrow to create a CD Chris is the only who would be successful and Chris would out sell the others easily!

elisa

Posted at 2:42 PM on December 8, 2011

Josh is the best he is real and feels all the words he sings he your winner

koko

Posted at 12:35 PM on December 8, 2011

PEOPLE VOTE FOR CHRIS RENE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! His 2nd performance was amazing. I got chills and a little teary eyed. LOVE LOVE LOVE. He is the only original artist. And maybe Josh. Marcus’ high notes make me cringe and Melanie is NOW annoying me, i liked her in the beginning, but when she busted out with the “real” her and her “real” accent it turned me waaay off, shes way to cocky. Vote Chris Rene <3

Misty

Posted at 7:54 AM on December 8, 2011

CHRIS RENE ALL THE WAY!!!!! He’s got what it takes to make this a “lifelong” commitment… He is a very strong-willed individual and he can go far… I know everyone that is on X Factor wants this, but I believe Chris is 150% genuwine on wanting this and better the life of his own as well as his son.Josh Rocks the stage as well and I have split my votes between the 2. Sorry but most of my votes have been on Chris.I have Voted for Chris everytime since the first song!! I even have Young Homie as my Ringtone!! I love you Chris and Josh, If you don’t come out in 1st,bro don’t give up.. You have been heard and you too will make it big time.. Chris, Keep doin what u do!! I connect with your music so much..I just love you and your music!!

Larry

Posted at 6:34 PM on December 16, 2011

u must be tone deaf???? Chris Rene can’t sing even close 2 as good as Mel or Josh, he can’t rap even close 2 as good as ASTRO and he can’t dance even as close 2 as good as Marcus or the Stero Hoggz, he is the Britney Spears of x factor!(except that Brittney dance so she is better than Chris Rene) maybe people like him because he makes them believe that any average person who cant sing, dance, or rap can get a record deal!

andreia

Posted at 5:11 AM on December 8, 2011

HALLLO CHRIS RENE YOU ARE WINER FOR ME VERY GOOD

PATY

Posted at 5:09 AM on December 8, 2011

HI CHRIS RENE VERY GOOD TOP5 YOU HA THE BEST RECORD ARTIST NOT DOUBT YOU BEST IN X FACTOR.

LURDES

Posted at 5:06 AM on December 8, 2011

TOP 5 HOOOOOOO CHRIS RENE IS ALREADY A BIG STAR AND WILL ALWAYS BE VOTE FOR CHRIS RENE.

anastacia

Posted at 5:01 AM on December 8, 2011

STEVIE WONDER SINGER NAME OF VERY SUCCESSFUL CALL TO SAY TO
CHRIS RENE TURNED TO SAY THAT HIS MUSIC IS THE BEST THERE IS NO BETTER SPINATION PRIVILEGES HE ENJOYED A CALL FROM BIG STEVIE WONDER.

TATI

Posted at 4:50 AM on December 8, 2011

NO DOUBT THERE BEST TALENT VERY UNIQUE CHRIS RENE NOT TO COMPARE CHRIS RENE DESERVES TO WIN AT THE SIGHT MAKE UP YOUR LETTERS NOBODY DOES ONLY CHRIS RENE CONGRATULATIONS PRETTY MUCH TRUE ORIGINALARTIST OF THE PUBLIC WILL BE YOUR SIDE VOTE FOR CHRIS RENE.

misty

Posted at 3:35 AM on December 8, 2011

CHRIS RENE-melted my heart….all the guys left deserve to battle to the very end….Melanie is a without a doubt an amazing singer, but there’s something about her “over- confidence” that turns me 0FF…less IS more, also, she’s another Mariah, Whitney, Celine….America needs something original….CHRIS R. or JOSH K. both would rock, if only there could be 2 winners for this season!!!

Tori

Posted at 2:02 AM on December 8, 2011

Until tonight I wasn’t a big Chris Rene fan. I remember liking his audition but he didn’t stand out for me – UNTIL TONIGHT! His original song showed so much that I went back and listened to Little Homie again. Writing, composing, I am a fan now!!

tina

Posted at 1:12 AM on December 8, 2011

WOW. Chris Rene is amazingly gifted. God continues to shine on him. My pick for finals.

maddie

Posted at 10:48 PM on December 7, 2011

wow chris rene is amazing! i have loved him from the start. he should sing original songs every week! i honestly hope he wins! i love you chris rene and good luck!!!!

maryj

Posted at 10:43 PM on December 7, 2011

Am not normally moved to action but tonite I wanted him to hear me say, I love you. He did awesome. He has huge heart in his music and that’s what makes it memorable. He’ s got a good story, he’s strong but humble. I felt like he was singing to me. I want to hear more from chris rene

suziq

Posted at 10:31 PM on December 7, 2011

Chris Rene is the american way.. Own up to your mistakes, ..then show without a doubt that no matter where you’re from or what you’ve done, God blesses those who believe with the greatest talent to get what their hearts desire. Amazing,..amazing. Hope he continues to do his own thing. Beautiful

Cole

Posted at 10:12 PM on December 7, 2011

Chris Rene stole the show tonight. He was the only one who really looke like he wanted to win and had his ducks in a row, great job everyone though!

Luz

Posted at 12:54 AM on December 20, 2011

It is CHRIS RENE for the win! If we vote, vote, vote he will win. Chris does not need people voting for him just out of sympathy because he is so talented! Even Stevie Wonder recognizes this fact.He plays the piano,the guitar and is a great songwriter. Chris has this great charisma and positive attitude in life that makes him contagious. He also dances and puts on a show when he sings. His past reflects a lot of suffering but he is a winner and will stay straight because of his family, especially his son.If you think he is talented, show it by voting for him.