Jenelle Evans: I'm Changing My Life To Get Jace Back

Wed, December 7, 2011 11:17am EST by 21 Comments
Jenelle Evans

Jenelle Evans

Jenelle continues to fight with her mom Barbara Evans — who has custody of her son Jace, 2. But Jenlle admits in a new interview, that Jace is the reason she has been trying so hard to get her life back on track.

Teen Mom 2 star Jenelle Evans has one goal in life now — to get custody back of her 2-year-old son Jace Evans. Jace currently lives with Jenelle’s own mother Barbara Evans, who has custody of him. But Jenelle has spent the last year fighting her marijuana habit, going to rehab to get clean, taking parenting and anger management classes and trying to finish off her double stints of court-mandated probation. Jenelle feels that she’s getting back on the right path, and doing so all for Jace, she tells Us magazine.

“I’m doing everything in the right direction,” Jenelle tells Us. “I’ve learned how to control my anger.”

Jenelle made the decision to enter rehab. “My life just started spiraling out of control, my emotions were running wild and I didn’t know how to slow them down,” she admits. “I was having trouble quitting marijuana. I just had to get away from all the drama. If I hadn’t gone, I’m pretty sure I’d be in jail.”

Rehab helped Jenelle learn how to control her anger. “Now when I have problems with people, I confront them about it, but I’m civil instead of yelling,” she shares. “I learned it’s better to leave than have Jace watch me argue with my mom.”

But despite Jenelle’s improvement, Barbara isn’t ready to hand Jace over. “She’s just really scared of me getting custody back, because I’m so close,” reveals Jenelle. “She’s going to do anything in her power for me not to get him back.”

“Jenelle continues to struggle with motherhood,” says Barbara.

Jenelle and her mom continue to fight. They don’t watch the show together because “it results in an argument,” notes Jenelle. And Barbara refuses to go to therapy with Jenelle: “She claims she doesn’t need it and that I’m the one that needs it.”

Still, Barbara hopes that Jenelle will continue to improve. “I’m hoping the situation gets better,” says Barbara. “I can never give up on my daughter, and it’s important to me that Jace has a close relationship with his mom.”

HollyMoms — do you think Jenelle is close to getting Jace back?

ch

Posted at 1:04 PM on February 5, 2012

I know we dont see a lot of things on TV. but Barbara is ALWAYS saying things that SHE KNOWS are going to make jenelle upset. Even when Jenelle sits there an says she does not want to talk about something and just to let it go Barbara keeps pushing and pushing a pushing untill Jenelle gets agrevatted and explodes. I know Barbara is under a lot of stress with this baby but she talks all of this mess about how she wants Jenelle to be a good mom and wants her to do this and that but she is also not letting it happen and then gets mad when Jenelle does not help… They are both two huge forces against each other….and for Barbara to think that she does not need counceling is INSANE.

Bailee(:

Posted at 12:31 PM on January 26, 2012

Listen Barbra is a b***h and nothing is going to change about it. She loves the little boy to death and just needs to give jenelle a chance to cherish the times with the cute baby boy. He is only this age once that she should enjoy a well as him(: hold ur head up high jenelle and I wish u the best to go the cutest boy back.! Good luck

Tonna

Posted at 1:04 AM on January 4, 2012

I honestly believe all the spiralling out of control was from jenelle rebelling against her mom! She seriously wanted to hurt her mother mentally the way she hurts her dailly with jace! her mom makes sure she knows everyday she is trash & a bad mom! dangling a roof over her head and when she can see jace! i would go nuts too! She trusted her mom & her mom screwed her over & took over! I will & would NEVER SAY THE NAMES SHE HAS CALLED JENELLE IN FRONT OF ONE OF MY KIDS BABIES! BARB NEEDS TO REALIZE WHEN SHE SAYS SAY GOODBYE TO MOM JACE SHE IS SERIOUSLY MESSING WITH THAT LITTLE BOYS HEAD TOO! He is going to grow up to hate her for what she is doing to him & his mom! GET YOUR LITTLE BOY BACK BEFORE SHE DOES MAJOR DAMAGE!!!!!!

Tonna

Posted at 12:52 AM on January 4, 2012

THE ONE PERSON JENELLE TRUSTED WAS HER MOTHER AND SHE SCREWED HER OVER WITH JACE & HER EDUCATION!! She says she wants her daughter to do right by her son but, HOOVERS OVER JACE & NEVER LETS JENELLE TAKE OVER AS A MOTHER!! Jenelle was a teenager that got screwed over by jace’s father, her mother, and boyfriends that claimed to love her! SHE WANTS TO BE LOVED SOOO BADLY SHE FALLS INTO THE WORST RELATIONSHIPS! If she would have kept jace she could have gotten housing, daycare, and financial aid for school! I THINK HER MOM JUST WANTS HER TO FAIL!! CANT STAND JENELLE MIGHT ACTUALLY DO BETTER THAN HER & NOT NEED HER ANYMORE!! Jenelle would have been gone and Barb would be drama free & I think Barb feeds on drama!! Barb loves being controlling as well too! If jenelle will clean up her act she will know what she has always known Jace is the one true person in this world that will love her but, if her mom continues to constantly belittle her & call her trash in front of jace he is going to grow up & do the same!

emilie

Posted at 12:16 AM on December 22, 2011

Barbara should go to therapy with Jenelle. Jenelle wants to fix things and Barbara should want to fix them to! Jenelle is trying to change herself and Barbara should be willing to help and work on their relationship.

Hadleigh

Posted at 6:23 PM on December 13, 2011

Her mother just doesn’t want to give up Jace. She loves him, and she loves taking care of him. But she needs to at least let Jenelle try and be a good mother. She never really gave her a chance (that we saw).

Lisa

Posted at 5:12 PM on December 16, 2011

The thing is though, how many times should her mother keep letting Jenelle try to be a good mother? I don’t think Barbara is a bad person, I can see where she is coming from though. I think she is getting to the point where she is just fed up with Jenelle being in and out of Jace’s life. Jenelle isn’t a bad person, but the decisions she’s made were bad. Emma is right where actions speak louder than words.

Even though there are times where Barbara keeps a fight going. I think Barbara just wants Jenelle to wake up & realize that she is a mother FIRST before being a teen. Once she became a mom, her teen years ended.

Jenelle has stolen from her mother, that’s just wrong. People defend Jenelle for what she’s done to her mother, what about defending her mother who if it wasn’t for her than who would Jace have? Jenelle’s lucky that her mother even offered to raise Jace or have custody of him, there are moms out there who would throw their daughters out if they were 16 and pregnant & not even raise the baby. Barbara is the one who has to do everything all over again, luckily Jenelle isn’t pregnant with Kieffer’s baby.

I can also see why Jenelle ended up attracting someone like Kieffer. Look how Jenelle grew up with a single mother, Jenelle was into drugs so she attracted someone like him. The kind of person you are is based on the type of person that you’re going to attract. Kieffer is a high school drop out, no job, not much of a place to live, does pot, & bums off people. If Jenelle ends up staying with Kieffer, her life would be harder & more miserable. She’d be the one going to school or getting a better career, while he would be doing nothing with his life, then he would possibly put her in a huge amount of debt, she gets pregnant by him & she’s TRAPPED. I’m not saying this is true but I’m being realistic about what her future with Kieffer can turn out to be.

Yes, Jenelle should’ve been in rehab YEARS AGO if the drug use got bad. Yes, Barbara should’ve probably been more supportive towards Jenelle.

Emma

Posted at 8:29 PM on December 12, 2011

Actions speak louder than words and Jenelle is always talking about becoming a better mom, but starts the process and never follows through.
How can Jenelle not see how lucky she is to have a mom like Barbara who has stepped in and provided for Jace when Jenelle couldn’t? Without Barbara, Jace would have been taken by CPS a loooong time ago with Jenelle’s drug issues and run-ins with law enforcement.
I’m not saying Barbara is perfect and I think both Jenelle and her mother should go to therapy together to learn how to communicate more effectively and hopefully develop a more respectful relationship towards one another.

Destiny

Posted at 6:26 PM on December 9, 2011

I think Jenelle should get Jace back. I mean everybody makes it seem like it’s all Jenelle’s fault, but it’s also her mom. Her mom starts fights and so does Jenelle. Just because she has had some problems doesn’t mean she can’t change.

Ashley

Posted at 10:58 PM on December 8, 2011

@Breanna… I have noticed the same thing! Although, I don’t agree with Jenelle’s actions and behaviors, she is just doing what she knows. It’s obvious she learned how to deal with a difficult situation from her mother. Also, has anyone else noticed that it’s Barb 90% of the time clutching Jace while she is screaming at her daughter?? That is totally wrong!! You shouldn’t even behave like that if a child is in the same room or even the same house.

I wonder if she ditched her loser boyfriend along with the drama. IMO he’s all drama! SO is Barb but there’s nothing she can do about that.

I’m still on the fence if I like Jenelle or not. If what she claims in this interview are really true and not just what people want to hear, then I’m starting to like her.

It is unfortunate that her upbringing and obviously lack of supervision got her to this point. But she is a adult/mother now. She needs to have some accountability and stop blaming her issues on others.

Brittney

Posted at 10:12 PM on December 8, 2011

OK, this is a very sensitive subject for me, because I am a young mother and a recovering addict. Reanna, it can take 10 yrs for her to change. But, she is putting in an effort. I don not believe that she is close to getting Jace back. I’ve been clean for 1 yr 4 months and my girls are still living with their dad. Addiction is a disease, you can’t just wake up one day and decide, “well I’m done being an addict”. It’s not the drugs that are the problem it’s the reason(s) you’re doing them in the first place. In the end, stopping doing drugs was easy, dealing with my anger, sadness, and fears was the hardest part. I say, you go Jenelle!!!! But don’t get too much in a hurry, because if you rush things it will come back to bite you in the butt. I agree with Kathryn, it’s not right for her mom to not go to counseling. They obviously have issues between them. No one is saying that Barbara has an individual issue, but it is apparent that she has major issues with Janelle and therapy would make their relationship 100% better.

Zakkk

Posted at 9:59 PM on December 8, 2011

That picture of Barb makes her look so stoned…

Stephanie

Posted at 9:56 PM on December 8, 2011

In order for therapy to work all parties need to be involved. Janelle needs to be able to discuss her feelings with her mom with out her yelling at her. And the thought of her mom not allowing her to spend time with her son pi$$es me off. I understand she has custody, but in the season premier she said she didn’t want her watching him because she didn’t get 8 hours of sleep. Then Barbra better come here and take my daughter because there are nights I am up doing homework that I don’t get 8 hours of sleep and I care for her all day by myself.

Matthew Ray

Posted at 9:42 PM on December 8, 2011

Jenelle does not own rights to the photo posted here of her and Jace. I own the rights as M.Ray Photography (www.mrayphotography.com). She decided not to pay for her photo sessions.

AJ

Posted at 12:58 AM on December 12, 2011

Riiiight

Breanna

Posted at 9:40 PM on December 8, 2011

She is getting her life on track and her mom started fights as well. There have been many times on the show, and probably off-scene that Jenelle tried to simply talk and her mom started yelling and eventually Jenelle yelled back.. and was told to stop screaming in front of Jace. Don’t go so hard on Jenelle when that behavior is LEARNED. Also, am I the only one that thinks Barbara looks stoned 80% of the time, herself?

reanna

Posted at 9:25 PM on December 8, 2011

Go Barbara. I understand where her moms coming from, it shouldn’t take two years to change should of been the moment you found out you was pregnant, and made the right chocices as a mother. So ican see y its hard to trust her 100% its not her moms fault, jenelles completely. I mean we seen the show and I can only image how the mom put up with it. good luck jenelle. Hope you do get your life together.(:

Soldiers_Wife87

Posted at 12:59 AM on December 9, 2011

Reanna,

Changing never happens over night. These things take time. Its best that she get everything in her life together to get her son back. Rehab takes months. And the BEST thing she did was admit she had a problem and took the right path to FIX that problem. She was a young teen when she got pregnant, not all TEENS are the same as grown adults.

Kathryn

Posted at 4:09 PM on December 7, 2011

How stuck up could her mom be to refuse going to therapy with her? Unbelievable. I hate Jenelle’s mom.

pachecotiffany@ymail.com

Posted at 12:41 AM on February 16, 2012

man barbara is the only true “mama” jayce knows. shes been in his life for 2 years now.

SES