Giuliana Rancic: I'm Getting A Double Mastectomy

Mon, December 5, 2011 5:23pm EST by 8 Comments
Giuliana Rancic Double Mastectomy

Giuliana told Ann Curry about the next phase of her breast cancer treatment.

Giuliana Rancic revealed on The Today Show that she will be getting a double mastectomy, after her initial treatment wasn’t aggressive enough.

Giuliana and her husband Bill Rancic talked about the decision for this treatment. Bill helped Giuliana make a list of the pros and cons. “In the end, Bill said to me, ‘I just need you around for the next 50 years,'” Giuliana revealed.

At first, Giuliana didn’t want to consider a mastectomy. “To me, the word was very scary,” she admitted. “It meant I would be disfigured.”

But then a good friend who had undergone a mastectomy herself showed Giuliana what her breasts looked like after the surgery and reconstruction. “When I saw it, I thought, ‘OK, she looks beautiful,'” Giuliana recalled. “That helped me more than anything — to see another woman the same age as me who had been through it.”

Giuliana decided that a double mastectomy was the best decision for her because she would have “less than a one percent chance of getting [the cancer] back.” Her other option was a double lumpectomy with radiation, but that option had a 20-40 percent chance of the cancer reoccurring.

“I couldn’t be at more peace with the decision,” said Giuliana. “[Some nights] it’s easy to just start crying, but I’m Ok.”

Bill agreed that they made the best choice. “I’m focused on the finish line,” he shared. “Our goal is to be done by Christmas time and don’t look back.”

Hours after they made their announcement, both Bill and Giuliana tweeted their appreciation for fan support.

“Thank you for the outpouring of prayers for Giuliana!” Bill wrote.

“Yes…Thank u all!” Giuliana added.

More Giuliana Rancic News

1. Giuliana Rancic: ‘I’m Hanging In There’ After Breast Cancer Surgery
  2. Giuliana Rancic’s Emotional Return To Work After Breast Cancer Surgery!
  3. Giuliana Rancic Returns To Work Just Days After Double Lumpectomy!

fay

Posted at 10:19 PM on December 14, 2011

I’m so overwhelmed to hear about Guiliana’s misfortune.My heart goes out to her. I wish you and Bill all the best for the future. They are a beautiful couple.

c

Posted at 12:49 PM on December 6, 2011

if your life depends on a double mastectomy why would you question that? better to be alive than keep your boobs.. duh

Shelly

Posted at 8:23 PM on December 5, 2011

If her life depended on having a double mastectomy and they have had other doctor’s opinions then this, as horrible as it may sound, it the right decision for her. She can also get reconstructive breast surgery and she has a supportive husband. She should be fine. My prayers go out to her and her husband.

Lori Chappel

Posted at 7:16 PM on December 5, 2011

I was also diagnosed on October 11, 2011 after a lumpectomy. I underwent a double masectomy the day before Thanksgiving, November 23, 2011. It was the best decision for me as well and I wish her all the best!!!

Susan

Posted at 3:10 PM on December 5, 2011

I got a double mastectomy in 1996 and I am fine. I think this is her best choice. My sister did the lumpectomy at first and her cancer came back. Then she decided on the double mastectomy and she is doing great.

gbtw

Posted at 1:58 PM on December 5, 2011

life is definitely not always fair, and some people have to grow up a lot sooner than others. but, i’m glad they have each other, and that her chances, having taken this option, are very very good. that’s something not everyone gets- so they are blessed in many ways. best of luck to them.

lolanyc

Posted at 10:23 AM on December 5, 2011

I love that she came forward with her story. They are the best couple and I’m so glad they made this decision together and what was best for her health. Once the inital shock is over she will be ok. I had a lump removed once and it was scarey as hell. Was benign but i have a scar. I felt disfigured. Yrs later it faded and I’m happy its out. As I’m sure she will hopefully eventually feel good about her decision to live and not worry. I wish her Luck, and health and I hope this surgury gets it all out! whats most important is living and she needs to just be positive and stay alive. Sending her love and health! thanks for sharing your story Gulianna! Stay strong!

steph

Posted at 9:30 AM on December 5, 2011

wow it must be really hard to realise that you have cancer and not just that.. that the best would be to get a mastectomy. I got surgery twice the spine and i don’t regret.. but a mastectomy is more scary.. Great women and so brave!