'Virgin Diaries' Preview: The Most Controversial New Show On TV

Sun, December 4, 2011 6:02pm EDT by 9 Comments
Virgin Diaries Preview

The new show has all of America wondering if profiling later-in-life virgins is respectful or mocking of a different lifestyle!

TLC’s new show Virgin Diaries has a lot of buzz behind it, as it profiles adults who would not be out of place alongside Steve Carell in The 40-Year-Old Virgin!

The show premieres tonight and follows the path of several virgins in their 20s, 30s and 40s who have decided to wait for either religious reasons or a lack of game. It looks to be a pretty honest profile of those who have waited for sex, but many talking heads are wondering if this show isn’t just poking fun at those with a different lifestyle.

What do YOU think, HollywoodLifers — will this show be respectful or rude to later-in-life virgins? Check out all of the drama Dec. 4 on TLC at 9PM ET/PT.

– William Earl

Dru

Posted at 12:38 AM on December 5, 2011

Ewww the kiss at the wedding looks Like they are eating each others faces. That’s just awkward. Embarrassing for them and the viewer.

justhinking

Posted at 11:51 PM on December 4, 2011

I haven’t seen the show, but I’m guessing these people knew what they signed up for and what kind of show they were willing participants of… with that said, yeah its going to be looked at as strange, because, unfortunately – choosing to wait to have sex is pretty radical these days. Or at least thats what everyone (public, media, people having careless sex) wants you to think.

Just some thoughts spurred by some previous comments. As a woman, I would prefer my husband would “practice” his sex skills on me… not some previous “X” number of women. I would prefer that we improve together, rather than wonder how many women he went through to get so “perfect” at his moves. And, regardless, every person is different – you have to learn all over again w/ each new person anyway. Why not learn all you need with the one you want to spend the rest of your life with?

For many, first time sex is awkward because they are too young and still insecure and awkward themselves, because they’re doing it because they feel they’re supposed to and not because they’re with someone they truly love, trust and care about and because there is so much unknown (especially when you’re young)… will he still like me after this, what if I’m doing it “wrong”, do I look fat or …. put this into a secure, committed relationship and many of those fears and worries are put away and the wonder of your first time can truly be experienced.

I don’t think waiting till later in life is going to make your first time worse… it will probably make is much better. Most likely, you know who you are, what you want and when you do decide – I’d say by that point, you’re pretty damn sure you doing it b/c you’re ready. Maybe after waiting so long, you start to idealize the whole thing and put your virginity and “first-time” experience on a pedestal… but, I don’t think that’s such a bad thing. Be realistic, but have a little honor too. I personally waited for marriage, it was part of my beliefs, and it was something I only wanted to share with my husband. I’m glad I did and there was nothing awkward or “bad” happening on our wedding night. It was great – and its only gotten better.

Brittnie

Posted at 11:17 PM on December 4, 2011

Seriosly TLC?! Super disappointed in the first episode of this show! The producers obviously consider people who choose to wait are weirdo’s. My husband and I just got married 8 months ago and lost our virginity to each other. (Me, 27, him 35.) Not only is it possible to WAIT, but you can be normal too!

The girl roommates giving each other massages, while may be true, was clearly suggesting that they were lesbian or bi as a “logical” explanation for their celibacy. Also did anyone notice that they got HOTDOGS on their date. Ugh.

Then they had the man getting married sitting in a massage chair moaning, and then the couple bouncing up and down on a sea-saw. Really?!

The 35 year old not-by-choice virgin, was a total cliche! While his story may have been true, not all 35 year old virgins ask their mom for sex advice over a glass of wine and admit that they love cats and cooking.

These PRODUCERS are ignorant! The only thing controversial about this show is how blantantly skewed their portrayal was of a subset of people with plenty of HEALTHY normal representative. Call ME!

starla

Posted at 10:11 PM on December 4, 2011

I watched this show tonight because I am 27 and a Virgin. For my own reasons and I was a bit disappointed in the show. I was thinking that the show would follow “Virgins” and their hardships over their choice to be just that, a Virgin. Rather I was shocked at the idea the the roommates and the single man were actually looking for their chance to have sex. It should NOT matter how old you are, If you are not ready then you are not ready! I know my first time will NOT be easy, It will be hard and awkward but it will be my first time and the man I chose to give that to will understand. I have had dates before and I am always upfront on the fact that I am a virgin and this is who I am. I am not waiting for marriage per say, just the right man that will treat me right. NOT a one night stand.

Sweetbro

Posted at 7:58 PM on December 4, 2011

I think for most people your first time having sex isnt the greatest. I remember being 16 and being awkward, not knowing what to do, and being nervous to have sex. It kinda sucked at first, but you have to get that out of the way. Now compound that with 10+ more years of celibate anticipation and sexual frustration; and I think you’re setting yourself up for disaster. I wouldn’t want the person I loved to experience anything but the best sex of her life; and I’m super glad I got the awkward bad sex out of the way on some random girl in high school, that I don’t talk to anymore, so my future wife wont have to experience that.

In the end, practice makes perfect, and I want to give perfect to my wife.

Lee

Posted at 11:24 PM on December 4, 2011

Funny I thought it was for better and for worst… not for whenever i feel perfect

poot

Posted at 7:14 PM on December 4, 2011

nope, what is truly sad is that you think such a thing is sad.

booby

Posted at 6:48 PM on December 4, 2011

sweet bro

Kail

Posted at 6:32 PM on December 4, 2011

It seems kind of sad that we live in a society that’s so pressuring to have sex either at a VERY young age or just with as many people as you that you aren’t even emotionally attached to for pleasure that makes being celibate bizzare enough to be an actual reality show.